HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Any Sikh players?

Old
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Any Sikh players?

I was just curious how Sikh players wear a helmet when they have to keep their heir in a knot on top of their head... Or if there were any Sikh players.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Ive seen some Sikh players around the House League circuits, but they all had their turbans on and its an interesting question.

As for players, I dunno if he is but Im sure he's South Asian:
Prab Rai, drafted by the Canucks:
http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=24423

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Do they wear their turban under their helmet?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Redden Hogalot*

They have extra large helmets.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:46 PM
densetsu

CSA and HECC certified turbans.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:41 PM
smon

Good question - I think a Sikh guy played for the Sharks as an enforcer for a bit in their first year, his name escapes me, but he was less conservative I guess and didn't wear a turban either on or off the ice

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:23 AM
noobman

Turbans come in different styles and can be tied in different ways. I'm sure that somebody has designed a helmet-friendly Sikh turban that can be worn under a helmet.

A Sikh friend of mine came to a Halloween party dressed as a Rastafarian and had one of those Rastafarian hats on with dreadlocks. I don't know if he had his turban on underneath or not. I guess in special circumstances it is OK not to wear it, provided that you cover your head?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Moobles

Depends on how religious the Sikh person is. As you can imagine there are tons of Sikh people and so many different variants of Sikhism it almost entirely depends on the person.

Generally most liberal Sikhs who still keep kesh will wear just a smaller pagri under their helmet. Some Sikhs who keep kesh might not care to have their long hair fall down and just might not wear anything. More orthodox Sikhs I imagine would refuse to wear a helmet on the basis they couldn't with their dastar on. I imagine if one ever makes the NHL there will be problems: however, a work-around might be to actually wear the helmet shell inside the dastar and simply tie around it (very complicated if you've ever put one on, but certainly possible). Would look really interesting .

Some Sikhs I imagine who are very religious and would not accept not wearing a dastar at all probably have a difficult time playing hockey, but they aren't a very large number. The two Punjabi broadcasters for CBC basically sum up what I'd see as the most common solution:

Quote:
The need to wear a turban has often been seen as a barrier to Sikhs playing hockey, but the Singhs don't see it that way. "Both Parminder and I have played ice hockey," said Harnarayan. "You just have a smaller version of a turban that fits underneath the helmet. It's a snug fit. It probably offers more protection."
I actually imagine it does, thinking about it now. Would love to see that tested. Full link here, about half-way down the page. Going to be very interesting over the next 20-yearsish as more South Asians enter the NHL. Muslims celebrating Ramadan (and then Eid ) and Sikhs with the dastar will certainly have to find work-arounds to the NHL, but I believe it is quite possible.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Good question - I think a Sikh guy played for the Sharks as an enforcer for a bit in their first year, his name escapes me, but he was less conservative I guess and didn't wear a turban either on or off the ice
Were you thinking of Robin Bawa? He was born in Canada and his family came from Punjabi (grandfather I believe). I never saw him wearing a turban so I am just guessing that his religious beliefs were something other than Sikh.
Manny Malhotra is the only other NHL player of South Asian ancestry. Story is similar for him as well I believe. I believe his mother is white.
As for the OP, I have no idea.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:27 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Were you thinking of Robin Bawa? He was born in Canada and his family came from Punjabi (grandfather I believe). I never saw him wearing a turban so I am just guessing that his religious beliefs were something other than Sikh.
Manny Malhotra is the only other NHL player of South Asian ancestry. Story is similar for him as well I believe. I believe his mother is white.
As for the OP, I have no idea.
Yeah, I think it was Bawa. I'm pretty sure I once read an article about this guy saying that he was Sikh: as others have mentioned, not all Sikhs wear turbans. Him being born in Canada wouldn't change his religion, lol.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Loyal2TheOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
Depends on how religious the Sikh person is. As you can imagine there are tons of Sikh people and so many different variants of Sikhism it almost entirely depends on the person.

Generally most liberal Sikhs who still keep kesh will wear just a smaller pagri under their helmet. Some Sikhs who keep kesh might not care to have their long hair fall down and just might not wear anything. More orthodox Sikhs I imagine would refuse to wear a helmet on the basis they couldn't with their dastar on. I imagine if one ever makes the NHL there will be problems: however, a work-around might be to actually wear the helmet shell inside the dastar and simply tie around it (very complicated if you've ever put one on, but certainly possible). Would look really interesting .

Some Sikhs I imagine who are very religious and would not accept not wearing a dastar at all probably have a difficult time playing hockey, but they aren't a very large number. The two Punjabi broadcasters for CBC basically sum up what I'd see as the most common solution
you pretty much nailed it. i am a sikh, or a liberal sikh, and do not wear a turban (i cut my hair) so wearing a helmet is no issue for me. i do have a lot of friends who wear turbans and have a kesh and what they do is compact their hair and wear a different type of turban (its more like a doo-rag) and simply wear the helmet over top. i have seen others do braided pigtails at the back and fit the pigtails at the back of the helmet as well. not very many people do the latter as they feel the need to cover their hair with something other than the helmet first so i dont think many would wear the helmet shell under the turban even if it was possible

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote