BN - Sam Madison (CB)
BN - Troy Brown (WR/CB)

Detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Garo

vCash: 500
Offence

- Overall, I like how versatile my offence can be in this matchup. The Chargers bench doesn't allow them to adapt to my many looks, and my four wideouts formation could give them fit. Starr, while not the most prolific passer ever, is renowned for big games like this one and his efficiency will definitely help against the ballhawks in the secondary. Moore will probably be the key target in the passing game, if he can get going in the short zones, it will open up space for Hirsch and Shofner to go downfield, where they were at their best.

- I like my running game here too. Van Buren and Taylor are two of the greats, and they're running behind arguably the best centre ever and two perennial all-pros at guards. Sanders, while he had a short career, was absolutely dominant in his time, and will provide an vital change of pace from the hard running duo.

Defence

- While I feel San Diego's strength is clearly their offence, with arguably the best QB, T and Rb ever at those positions, I also feel defence is by far where my team's strength.

- Motley and Smith? Don't know how it happened, but that's a ridiculous combo. I feel comfortable that I can limit the damages with one of the very best front seven in the draft. At worst, I can substitute Baughan for McMicheal and go with a 5-2 front to try to overload their offensive line.

- Speaking of this, this is probably the most interesting matchup in this game. Going with a cover-2 scheme, pressure from the front four will be vital. While San Diego has a ridiculous left side, my strength is clearly on their right, with White and Page, two of the very best pass-rushers at their position, looking to get to Marino every down. They'll try to do so by going against two linemen who played exclusively on the other side in Light and Kiesling. While I don't think it'd matter much in most matchups, I feel there's a significant talent gap in my favour here, and this might prove critical.

- Despite this, Marino is still Marino. If all goes well, I can drop my LBs in coverage to provide support to the DBs. Here I have three elite cover LBs starting, with a big, physical DBs corps. Easley and Lary will cover the zones downfield, and both are ballhawks who can change a game with their skills.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Offence

- Overall, I like how versatile my offence can be in this matchup. The Chargers bench doesn't allow them to adapt to my many looks, and my four wideouts formation could give them fit. Starr, while not the most prolific passer ever, is renowned for big games like this one and his efficiency will definitely help against the ballhawks in the secondary. Moore will probably be the key target in the passing game, if he can get going in the short zones, it will open up space for Hirsch and Shofner to go downfield, where they were at their best.

I have to disagree with this. My defense was built around versatility and being able to adjust in order to match up against any offense. We can put as many as six defensive backs on the field at once. Alex Wojciechowicz was a two way player for the Lions and Eagles, and was an excellent linebacker, which allows us to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 if the situation calls for it.

- I like my running game here too. Van Buren and Taylor are two of the greats, and they're running behind arguably the best centre ever and two perennial all-pros at guards. Sanders, while he had a short career, was absolutely dominant in his time, and will provide an vital change of pace from the hard running duo.

My linebacking corps are all big hitters who will be making sure no run gets too far.

Defence

- While I feel San Diego's strength is clearly their offence, with arguably the best QB, T and Rb ever at those positions, I also feel defence is by far where my team's strength.

- Motley and Smith? Don't know how it happened, but that's a ridiculous combo. I feel comfortable that I can limit the damages with one of the very best front seven in the draft. At worst, I can substitute Baughan for McMicheal and go with a 5-2 front to try to overload their offensive line.

I really think I've created a no win situation for defenses. Overloading the line is suicide with Marino's quick release and some combination of Irvin/Holt/Branch/Welker/Brown/Gonzales running around.

- Speaking of this, this is probably the most interesting matchup in this game. Going with a cover-2 scheme, pressure from the front four will be vital. While San Diego has a ridiculous left side, my strength is clearly on their right, with White and Page, two of the very best pass-rushers at their position, looking to get to Marino every down. They'll try to do so by going against two linemen who played exclusively on the other side in Light and Kiesling. While I don't think it'd matter much in most matchups, I feel there's a significant talent gap in my favour here, and this might prove critical.

Gonzales and Motley are both excellent blockers that can be used to help against White and Page.

- Despite this, Marino is still Marino. If all goes well, I can drop my LBs in coverage to provide support to the DBs. Here I have three elite cover LBs starting, with a big, physical DBs corps. Easley and Lary will cover the zones downfield, and both are ballhawks who can change a game with their skills.

Dropping LBs into coverage brings up the other scenario in the pick your poison offense, Motley and Smith are a deadly duo.

Allen Degenerate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Detox

This one, in my mind, will come down to the Colts D vs Chargers O, not taking anything away from the other units yet the key for the winner will be that battle.

Detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Garo

- I'm not convinced that Troy Brown can be a legitimate DB at that level. He can play, but against Powell or Shofner? It could get ugly quickly. I'm not too worried about the 3-4 looks as I'm not overly concerned with the pass rush from the LB position. Also, even with 6 DBs, a guy like Hirsch commands double coverage simply for his gamebreaking speed, and I like any of my other WRs in single coverage.

- Your LBs are very good, even great. But my rushing offence is far above average too. Taylor was by far the second best runner of his time, and Van Buren was a step above everyone else. They carried teams to championships as the main weapon (Both being the only scorers in some of them), so I know I can count on them in any big game.

- Overloading the line isn't my favourite option, but I feel it could be doable. McMichael trived in the 5-2, and my two LBs are still all-time greats in coverage. Plus, it's something I'd do mostly against a full backfield, effectively limiting the options.

- Personally, if I see Gonzalez blocking, I'm happy. He's a great blocker, no doubt, but catching is his strength. If you're going with both Gonzalez and Motley as blockers, even better, as it gives me a clear advantage with the numbers.

- Well, I did say if all goes well. Meaning I don't get destroyed in the running game Still, even with all that I know it's a very, very tough offence to defend, but I think I have the horses to pull it off. Great passrushing and runstopping Dline, reliable tacklers and great covering LBs, and a physical, ballhawking DBs unit. It'd be so interesting to see this matchup really happens.

Old
12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
AP-SAN DIEGO

In the quarterfinals of the playoffs, this matchup pitted the San Diego Chargers against the Baltimore Colts in sunny San Diego, California. The hosting team San Diego came in with a potent offense full of weapons, including QB Dan Marino, RB Emmitt Smith, and FB Marion Motley. Baltimore countered with an extremely impressive left side of their line, boasting two of the best defensive linemen in history, the Minister of Defense Reggie White and Alan Page. This had the makings of a legendary matchup, pitting the greatest offensive tackle in history Anthony Munoz against Reggie White.

Much of the game hindered on the ability for the San Diego offense to contain the front 7 of the Colts, and get the ball to their offensive weapons. The clear strength of the Colts is their defense, specifically the front 7. The Chargers' strength lied in their offensive skill. The San Diego defense and Baltimore offense did not boast the most potent or dominant lineups in the league, but still offered a lot.

The Chargers won the coin toss, and would receive the ball. The ever-elusive and speedy Wes Welker set San Diego up with good field position, beginning at their own 42 yard line. From there, Emmitt Smith ran for a 12 yard gain, followed by a 25 yard pass play from Marino to Irving. Driving at the Baltimore 21, Smith was stopped for -1 yard by Alan Page. Following was a short pass to Torry Holt that gained 5. On 3rd & 6, Marino was able to avoid the blitz, moving in the pocket and finding Tony Gonzalez for a 17 yard TD score.

On the Colts' first possession, they attempted to establish the running game, picking up two first downs and getting the ball to their own 49 yard line. From there, their drive stalled after a short run by Van Buren for 2, an incomplete pass, and a sack by the blitzing Willie Lanier for a loss of 8.

On their next drive, San Diego did not enjoy the success they had on their first drive. After an attempted long pass to Holt was almost intercepted by Ronde Barber, Smith was stopped for a short gain on 2nd down, and Marino was forced to throw the ball away on a 3rd & 9.

On Baltimore's 2nd drive, they were able to reach the their own 37 after starting out at their own 5 when the first quarter came to a close. Following a crushing block from Jim Taylor, Steve Van Buren was able to scamper for a 33 yard gain, bringing the ball to the San Diego 30. From there, they were able to pick up another first down, but the drive was thwarted after on a 3rd & 3 Brian Dawkins laid a crushing blow to Elroy Hirsch, forcing an incompletion that would have given Baltimore the first down. They settled for a successful field goal by Les Richter.

With 9 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter, Dan Marino made quick work of the Baltimore defense, getting solid protection from Anthony Munoz and Marion Motley, driving San Diego all the way down for a touchdown on a drive highlighted by a 27 yard run by Emmitt Smith and 19 yard pass to Torry Holt. Marino eventually hit Michael Irving with a fade route to the right corner for a TD.

Down 11 with 4 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter, a determined Bart Starr was able to hit Lenny Moore on a 33 yard pass, and found the perfect blend of a running and passing game to keep Baltimore's rhythm going and keep moving the chains. They got the ball down to the San Diego 2 yard line with 30 seconds left, and on a fullback hand-off to Jim Taylor they hammered it in for a score, making the score 14-10 at halftime.

Beginning the 2nd half, Baltimore picked up where it left off, moving the ball like clock-work, reaching the San Diego 39. On a draw play to Steve Van Buren, Willie Lanier came up from the middle linebacker position on a blitz, stripping the ball from Van Buren. It was picked up by safety Ken Houston who ran 42 yards before being knocked out of bounds with a touchdown-saving tackle by Riley Odom, who had been blocking on the play.

After this, the Chargers never looked back. In just two plays, a 13 yard pass to Torry Holt and a 16 yard run by Emmitt Smith the Chargers capped off a drive, making the score 21-10.

From this point on, the Colts could only muster another field goal, while the Chargers were able to add two touchdowns and a field goal, with the final score being 38-13. Dan Marino finished the game with 27 completions on 35 attempts, 345 yards, 3 TD, and no interceptions. He was named the MVP of the game.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Garo

Oh well, congrats to Adam Sinister, who built a great team.

As for me, well... I kinda regretted some of my early picks, and it showed clearly that it was the first time I participated in such an event, and going against the defending champion is always tough. Next time I'll be able to use that experience better.

Old
12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

As for me, well... I kinda regretted some of my early picks, and it showed clearly that it was the first time I participated in such an event, and going against the defending champion is always tough. Next time I'll be able to use that experience better.
I don't necessarily think your early picks were bad...but I think you fell victim to the same trap I did last year, which was focusing on the defense early (which was very good IMO), but not addressing the skill positions offensively early enough.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:27 AM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
Quote:

And congratulations to you, I think your team definitely deserved a better fate than what the final score showed. You did make me second guess a few of my picks for a bit, but they had to have been alright to beat a team like yours.

Allen Degenerate is online now   Reply With Quote