HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

good cheap one-piece for outdoor use?

Old
12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
vaya

vCash: 500
good cheap one-piece for outdoor use?

last year i must have played outdoors about 25 times and broken about 4 wood sticks. it gets insanely cold in montreal on some nights and i've got rather poor slap shot technique...

bought a cheap bauer vapor x composite one-piece for 50-60 bucks and it survived the rest of the season without a chip. but i wouldn't mind buying a new one this season for the hell of it.

i'd want something light with good control/feel for deking and passing, but durability is key. preferably low flex. i'm 22, and years removed from competitive hockey, but i'm not a beginner either. some of my choices are:

bauer vapor x20/xii/ix/x15
bauer one 55
easton sc6/se6/s7/s5/sc2/se2/s3
rkb 4k
warrior bentley

all under 100 canadian $. i've heard warrior's lower-end stuff is overpriced, and easton has a ton of choices for similar prices. i've always liked bauer.

i'll have to try em out, but does anyone have any recommendations/tips/experience with any of the above? or other suggestions? thanks!

vaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:24 PM
AIREAYE

dont go with the One55, I have it, try the X15 or the XII

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
dont go with the One55, I have it, try the X15 or the XII
The One55 is durable but NOT light (still lighter than wood though) but it may be good outdoor stick maybe. Usually when one plays outdoors there are a bunch of inexperieinced stick whackers who play and don't care about your stick.

Most indoor players on teams don;'t whack sticks like these mofos on outdoor rinks.

Damned hacks!

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 12-15-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:58 PM
noobman

I had an Easton S5. It's not the lightest stick in the world (lighter than a wooden stick though) but it was very durable. I broke it when the blade (Forsberg blade, pretty flat) got wedged in a large gap in the boards.

It was a very good stick for me... just a little too stiff at a 100 flex. I'd highly recommend it based on my experience with it.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:00 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaya View Post
last year i must have played outdoors about 25 times and broken about 4 wood sticks. it gets insanely cold in montreal on some nights and i've got rather poor slap shot technique...

bought a cheap bauer vapor x composite one-piece for 50-60 bucks and it survived the rest of the season without a chip. but i wouldn't mind buying a new one this season for the hell of it.

i'd want something light with good control/feel for deking and passing, but durability is key. preferably low flex. i'm 22, and years removed from competitive hockey, but i'm not a beginner either. some of my choices are:

bauer vapor x20/xii/ix/x15
bauer one 55
easton sc6/se6/s7/s5/sc2/se2/s3
rkb 4k
warrior bentley

all under 100 canadian $. i've heard warrior's lower-end stuff is overpriced, and easton has a ton of choices for similar prices. i've always liked bauer.

i'll have to try em out, but does anyone have any recommendations/tips/experience with any of the above? or other suggestions? thanks!
I am in almost your same position, 22 but I like low flex sticks and I demand lightness and durability...for under $100 the best value you will find in a stick for weight, balance, durability, flex, blade feel and one piece construction:

The Nike/Bauer XXV in whip flex or 87 flex:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbhvxxvstksr.html

Also, if you are looking for something with a slightly smaller feel and a little more whip try the intermediate version.

I personally get away with a cut down intermediate and I honest can't find another stick that feels as good and as well performing for under $100. That is of course, my opinion, but these things always sold like hotcakes when they went on sale.

I'm more than certain there are a few posters who can attest to the value for this stick at that pricepoint. On that HG website that's actually the cheapest I've seen it.

Since they changed the numbering on the new sticks I would assume the x40 is the updated version...the difference I find between the XX series and the X: is a slimmer profile and slightly lighter feel on the x: series, however it also felt weaker in my hands than my XXV. My XXV has taken plenty of whacks from above and below, and survived a couple close calls with surprising strength.

The best part is when you can find a cheap XXXX to use after using the XXV for a while you'll feel like you were hiding a sniper rifle that you didn't know you had.

I take a lot of slappers too, but I focus on technique not power so I haven't had so much as a crack or chip in my stick. Worry about finding the right flex point on the XXV and hitting 6 inches behind the puck not HARD but accurate. Slappers are not necessarily how hard they are placed but where and if you can learn (soft slappers) with the XXV it may actually be more effective to your game since you'll still have velocity but you will be able to place the puck better for slap deflections and the like. Trust me my slapper used to suck and I couldn't get it off the ground when I tried to kill the puck every time. Now it's make sure my hips are set, and use the flex of the stick (but not to the point where I'm straining it) and I've gotten much better. I can put them where I want them.

Alot of times I would actually recommend a full size player needing work on their slapper technique to work with the lower flex because it allows you to execute and visualize the technique and function better so that when you get a high level stick you know what you're doing.

Also, check out the search feature because I know we've had a couple threads on slap techniqe,

They also have a nice selection of curves.

That's the most direct advice I can give so definitely find one, try it out and hopefully it works for ya!

Last edited by wearethegreek: 12-16-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: the only problem i see between choosing blades is that the malkin is on the shorter side.
wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:13 AM
wearethegreek

Also I apologize in advance for offending people, but I find the one55 to but heavy and non-responsive. There really is no emulation of the one95. That stick is out of control.

Easton's lower range stuff always breaks or chips or cracks on me. I'm very partial to Bauer. I find Warrior high end stuff performs well but breaks easy for me, and their low end stuff felt much like the one 55 (heavy and unresponsive)

But it is all personal preference.

Reebok makes some decent stuff but the 4k is not as good as a similarly priced XXV if you can afford it. In this case you should because it's only like $20 or so more and I see many more broken RBK sticks at my local rink than other brands. But that could be a coincidence.

Old
12-16-2009, 04:14 PM
bonnielad

The One55 is durable, but light? No way. I'm just a noob at hockey and skating, but recently purchased my first composite stick (was looking for something lighter and more durable than my wooden Eastons) and decided on the One55. Boy was I wrong! It's actually quite heavier than the wooden sticks, but much much more durable.

Not to derail, but it's also stiffer than the supposed 87 flex (compared to wood 87's). I have not shortened the One55 but did cut down the wooden ones a bit. Quality control issue, or is this the norm for composites?

bonnielad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:44 PM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielad View Post
The One55 is durable, but light? No way. I'm just a noob at hockey and skating, but recently purchased my first composite stick (was looking for something lighter and more durable than my wooden Eastons) and decided on the One55. Boy was I wrong! It's actually quite heavier than the wooden sticks, but much much more durable.

Not to derail, but it's also stiffer than the supposed 87 flex (compared to wood 87's). I have not shortened the One55 but did cut down the wooden ones a bit. Quality control issue, or is this the norm for composites?
It's the stick. The one95's construction only works with certain material combinations I suppose.

Old
12-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just picked up another XXV for $62, S11's are $65, lots of good clearance sticks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Loyal2TheOil

any other international shoppers having a problem with that hockeygiant site? i realize it wont let international orders be paid with paypal, but even when i go to pay with credit card i still get the
"There are no defined shipping rules that match your location and/or the shipping method that you chose." message. can anybody point me in the right direction? (i live in canada if that makes any difference)

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Loyal2TheOil

also just out of curiosity, what was the malkin pattern for bauer formerly known as?

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:42 AM
iceman_88888888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal2TheOil View Post
also just out of curiosity, what was the malkin pattern for bauer formerly known as?
i believe the pm9 was the old st louis pattern. but don't quote me on that.

to the op: why wouldn't you go with a 2-piece stick? you can get a good shaft for pretty cheap and just pay maybe $40 for a good blade.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:55 AM
Ragss

Ordering from the 'states is a *****, and there aren't any comparable canadian online hockey retailers. Another odd stipulation is that you can't buy pro hockey gear over the net in Canada, you can't even see the prices on the few canadian sites. So, for example, a one95 can only say 'come see in store for price'.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote