HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cammalleri Interview Globe and Mail

Old
12-18-2009, 10:20 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

vCash: 500
Cammalleri Interview Globe and Mail

I didn't know if I should post this in a thread but Cammalleri was interviewed by the globe and mail about concussions, dealing specifically with the case of Reg Fleming. It's an interesting read, and slightly habs related. (Also, for those of you who didn't know, Reg Fleming actually played for the Canadiens early in his career)

Quote:
Montreal Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri is hopeful, as much for himself as for other NHL players.

All this focus on head injuries and concussions is a good thing, he believes, a shift in emphasis that may eventually be looked upon as a “transition period” for hockey.

“I think telling that story and looking at the evidence of [degenerative brain disease] is going to change the way you look at things, unless you're really not paying attention,” Cammalleri said.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1406189/

I had my last concussion, it was my seventh, almost 3 years ago to the date. I haven't been able to play hockey since. Not only that, but all the concussions nearly jeapordized my education and left me feeling effects for the next two years. I'm very strongly opinionated that the NHL should do more to stop hits to the head.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:22 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I didn't know if I should post this in a thread but Cammalleri was interviewed by the globe and mail about concussions, dealing specifically with the case of Reg Fleming. It's an interesting read, and slightly habs related. (Also, for those of you who didn't know, Reg Fleming actually played for the Canadiens early in his career)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1406189/

I had my last concussion, it was my seventh, almost 3 years ago to the date. I haven't been able to play hockey since. Not only that, but all the concussions nearly jeapordized my education and left me feeling effects for the next two years. I'm very strongly opinionated that the NHL should do more to stop hits to the head.
Here here!

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:47 AM
chester_z

I can't understand the macho reaction to protective gear, especially helmet and facial protection. The long-term damage isn't worth Don Cherry's "Good Canadian Boy" title.

This Malcolm Gladwell piece from the New Yorker deals with football, but discusses repetitive head trauma and chronic traumatic encephalopathy. One can easily draw parallels to hockey.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_gladwell

chester_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:20 AM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester_z View Post
I can't understand the macho reaction to protective gear, especially helmet and facial protection. The long-term damage isn't worth Don Cherry's "Good Canadian Boy" title.

This Malcolm Gladwell piece from the New Yorker deals with football, but discusses repetitive head trauma and chronic traumatic encephalopathy. One can easily draw parallels to hockey.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_gladwell
No its not, and protective hockey equipment must be worked into the game. That being said, I had a concussion helmet and a mouthguard. Those two paired help to seriously decrease concussions. But my third concussion was caused by a guy headchecking me. The force was so strong my helmet broke. I think more focus should be on taking headshots out of the game then introducing protective equipment. Many times, the headshots will cause concussions no matter what you're wearing.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote