Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The NHL's Most Lop-sided Trades of the Last Decade

Old
12-18-2009, 11:13 PM
flames123

vCash: 500
The NHL's Most Lop-sided Trades of the Last Decade

The Savard trade is part of it at #2. 7ongo shows up a couple of times as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,209570

Also interesting: NHL's top 10 players of the last 10 years.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/features/decade

And yes, Mr. Iginla is included.

Last edited by flames123: 12-19-2009 at 12:57 AM.
flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Sure the trade was bad - but to say that a trade involving any player who had (at best) a questionable attitude and demanded a trade is the 2nd worst deal in the past decade is hardly accurate.

And no mention of Kipper for a 2nd? I consider this more lopsided than the Savard deal. Hell, even Giguere for a 2nd (in 2000) was possibly worse than this.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:52 AM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Sure the trade was bad - but to say that a trade involving any player who had (at best) a questionable attitude and demanded a trade is the 2nd worst deal in the past decade is hardly accurate.

And no mention of Kipper for a 2nd? I consider this more lopsided than the Savard deal. Hell, even Giguere for a 2nd (in 2000) was possibly worse than this.
Have to agree, but many of those deals were not like trading the current version of the player. I guess it is more so talking about how the player turned out vs. the players he was traded for...

Old
12-19-2009, 12:54 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:

I agree.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:18 AM
HariKari

you spelled Luongo wrong... oh wait I get it

Considering they put Mike Milbury at the top of the page, you'd think they'd mention Yashin for Chara, Muckalt and a 1st (Jason Spezza). Yashin who they're still paying almost $4 mil a year until 2015 not to play for them. Or at least even a washed up Trevor Linden for Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd.

Calgary's gotten over the Savard deal, these teams however are still dealing with their losses. Try again Yahoo.

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:36 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:

Kipper for Vlasic? Sure lopsided, but no where near as bad as Savard for basically nothing.

It was just a plain bad deal by Button only made worse by the fact he ended up firing Gilbert a couple weeks after. He was in a no win situation I'll give him that.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:

I don't think the Kipper trade is that lopsided... it was a hell of a risk on Sutter's part that happened to payoff... Kipper was their #3 goaltender and starting to struggle in the Sharks system... the fact they got a 2nd round pick for him that turned into Vlasic... thats hardly a bad trade... you have to consider more than hindsight... which i was surprised they did a little but not enough when they considered the Savard deal

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I don't think the Kipper trade is that lopsided... it was a hell of a risk on Sutter's part that happened to payoff... Kipper was their #3 goaltender and starting to struggle in the Sharks system... the fact they got a 2nd round pick for him that turned into Vlasic... thats hardly a bad trade... you have to consider more than hindsight... which i was surprised they did a little but not enough when they considered the Savard deal
This is assuming a 2nd round pick is a sure thing, which it isn't (at least, not when Calgary picks them)

That said, you make good points; I just don't think the Savard trade was as bad as mentioned, given the circumstances.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:11 PM
flames123

Quote:
This is assuming a 2nd round pick is a sure thing, which it isn't (at least, not when Calgary picks them)

That said, you make good points; I just don't think the Savard trade was as bad as mentioned, given the circumstances.
I think the trades are ranked based more so upon how the players turned out, but not how bad the trade was at the time.