HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Post-Game #33: Penguins @ Flyers - December 17, 2009

Old
12-18-2009, 02:08 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Maybe now it could be pointed out that Kyle Turris is playing hockey in San Antonio.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
I doubt we will ever win a SO against Pittsburgh. Ever.

I'm happy to read that Gagne is back tomorrow!!!!!
I didn't notice till you said that! THANK YOU GAGNE! Hopefully you come back and get a hat trick lol. Seriously, I will definitely wear my Gagne jersey tomorrow.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:18 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
We'll never get a superstar like Crosby, Malkin or Kane. Our team will never be so bad for years on end that you guy all these top players that teams like PIT, CHI and WAS have now. One year is too many to our management and that works for me.
Are Jonathon Toews and Patrick Kane really much better then Jeff Carter and Mike Richards?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
BringBackStevens

Kane is good, but he's nowhere near Crosby/AO/Malkin level. What are people here smoking

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Are Jonathon Toews and Patrick Kane really much better then Jeff Carter and Mike Richards?
On SO and when it comes to passing the puck, bit shiftier and better one on one. Imo..

Toews is very good in SO or one on one.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:40 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
On SO and when it comes to passing the puck, bit shiftier and better one on one. Imo..

Toews is very good in SO or one on one.
I meant like are Toews and Kane better superstars then Richards and Carter.

I could care less about shootouts really.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I meant like are Toews and Kane better superstars then Richards and Carter.

I could care less about shootouts really.
I think both have better skill then Carter or Richards not by much but better.

Patrick probably does not tip as good as Mike or Jeff..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well being honest, even if I do sorta agree, what do you do? Go until someone scores? Impossible since teams play back to back games. I guess you can go back to ties. Those are kinda boring though. The idea of shootouts are to bring excitement to the end of the game. Its a ****** way to lose, but personally, I do think its fun to watch.
I can agree shootouts are fun to watch, but just the act of. I hate that they decide something as important as an extra point in the standings.

I say they either;

A) go 5 on 5 continuous OT until someone scores. They're big boys, they don't have to be up for school or work in the morning. They're supposed to be athletic machines. You don't want to go all ****ing night, then score. Baseball can go all night until there's a winner, same with basketball.

B) go 4 on 4 continuous OT until someone scores. They're supposed to be big boys, but I guess if they honestly believe 4 on 4 is better, then do that so they can change their diapers before playing their next game.

C) go 4 on 4 for 10 minutes, then 3 on 3 for 10 minutes (and the rest of the way until someone scores.) If they're too opposed to 5 0n 5 forever or 4 on 4 forever, I guess 3 on 3 would give enough open space for something to happen and knowing that they can't just hog the puck until time expires to get to a shootout (Penguins, I'm talking to you) then it should end without going all night and that would give them plenty of time to put a fresh pair of panties on before the next game. God forbid they settle things like men and go 5 on 5 all night.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 05:27 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Did anyone else see the diabetes guy from those commercials in the stands? It was during the third period they kinda zoomed in on him after a stoppage in play.

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 05:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
I can agree shootouts are fun to watch, but just the act of. I hate that they decide something as important as an extra point in the standings.

I say they either;

A) go 5 on 5 continuous OT until someone scores. They're big boys, they don't have to be up for school or work in the morning. They're supposed to be athletic machines. You don't want to go all ****ing night, then score. Baseball can go all night until there's a winner, same with basketball.

B) go 4 on 4 continuous OT until someone scores. They're supposed to be big boys, but I guess if they honestly believe 4 on 4 is better, then do that so they can change their diapers before playing their next game.

C) go 4 on 4 for 10 minutes, then 3 on 3 for 10 minutes (and the rest of the way until someone scores.) If they're too opposed to 5 0n 5 forever or 4 on 4 forever, I guess 3 on 3 would give enough open space for something to happen and knowing that they can't just hog the puck until time expires to get to a shootout (Penguins, I'm talking to you) then it should end without going all night and that would give them plenty of time to put a fresh pair of panties on before the next game. God forbid they settle things like men and go 5 on 5 all night.
Like I said though, back to back games would be impossible for continuous overtimes. You can say their athletes and they should do it, but their also human who have limitations. Do you really want to see a game that goes to 3 in the morning and then watch the team again play the next day (or same day) and look exhausted? Its not possible.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Like I said though, back to back games would be impossible for continuous overtimes. You can say their athletes and they should do it, but their also human who have limitations. Do you really want to see a game that goes to 3 in the morning and then watch the team again play the next day (or same day) and look exhausted? Its not possible.
Well, if you couldn't score a goal 3 on 3 (knowing you can't hog the puck to get to a shootout) then you probably shouldn't be playing hockey. I could see the 5 on 5 argument because, yeah, they could go into the morning, but no way three on three would drag out like that.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I'd rather go 10 minutes of 4 on 4 before the shootout.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'd rather go 10 minutes of 4 on 4 before the shootout.
That'd be ideal, imo. 4 - 4 hockey is some of the most entertaining hockey, period. (Not that I'd ever advocate for a change in the playoff overtime format because that is, of course, hockey at its finest)

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:24 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
How about 5 minutes of 4 on 4 followed by 5 minutes on 3 on 3. Someone has to score at that point. If not tie.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 08:45 AM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Guys, i have a question for you all.

I know this team is really good on paper (how often did we read this the last couple of days?), they have talent, young, promising kids, a great d, solid goaltending and some veteran leadership.

So, how long will it take until they turn it around and even more important how long is the management willing to wait?

I do not wanna ´watch another firesale season just like in 05-06. Unfortunately, it seems to be happening again . We've played about 30 games already and are what? 14th place in the East? Give me a break.

Do we overvalue our players. Does the management overvalue the team? Does the team believe in his self? We should compete for the Division title, not for a ****in play-off place.

Sry, but I am so damn frustrated.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
^ Judging by the comments of players, including veterans, the situation is perplexing to them, too. Even with possible friction behind closed doors, that tension should never be brought out onto the playing surface. Teams in different sports have won with far more antagonism by unifying themselves once the games start.

My primary concern entering this season was lack of offensive depth and that is a major liability. The team needs to figure out how to score in even strength situations. Get dirty in front of the net, cheap goals count. Don't necessarily try to play pretty.

Avoid stupid penalties. Too many of those. Lazy penalties are the death knell to momentum. Come out of the gate with a flurry. Don't be passive but play with intelligence. A coaching change has been made and now the onus is on the players.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:58 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

While they have made improvements, I've watched every game since Lavi took over, in the offensive zone, be it 5 on 5 or on the PP, it's one big cluster****. Guys are not getting open, guys are making bad passes, guys are not controlling the pass when it gets to them, guys are getting bunched up. they look like a turkey which has had it's head removed

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
10 mins of 4 on 4 and then a Tie.

Hell, I'd rather have 5 on 5 hockey after an OT period but with both goalies pulled than do a shoot out. At least that would guarantee a goal using at least some hockey skills.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 08:45 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Shootouts should be changed to 5 shooters.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:38 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
guys are making bad passes, guys are not controlling the pass when it gets to them
This has always been the measure of "talent" for me.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
While they have made improvements, I've watched every game since Lavi took over, in the offensive zone, be it 5 on 5 or on the PP, it's one big cluster****. Guys are not getting open, guys are making bad passes, guys are not controlling the pass when it gets to them, guys are getting bunched up. they look like a turkey which has had it's head removed
I thought it was all Stevens' fault?

Are you saying it's a skill deficit?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote