What would it take to get Iggy?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 07:28 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
What would it take to get Iggy?

Since Jarome Iginla is set to become a RFA making 5.5 M a year and will probibly be too pricy for the Flames, what would you want from Detroit in a possible trade? I would offer something like this:

To Cal: D Jiri Fischer, 1st rounder 04 & 05, 2 Million $, G Stefan Liv.

To Det: RW Jarome Iginla.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Hitman*

Zetterberg would have to be the starting block. We have too many defensive defensemen so Fischer wouldn't be enough to get him.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:54 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Zetterberg would have to be the starting block. We have too many defensive defensemen so Fischer wouldn't be enough to get him.
That wouldn't work out as Detroit is weak at the center position and Zetterberg is being moved to the center position for this year. But how about the following revised offer:

To Cal: 1st rounder 04 & 1st rounder 05, C Jiri Hudler, C Tomas Kopecky, G Stefan Liv, 2 Million $.

To Det: Jarome Iginla

Old
09-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
Since Jarome Iginla is set to become a RFA making 5.5 M a year and will probibly be too pricy for the Flames, what would you want from Detroit in a possible trade? I would offer something like this:

Nope. Won't happen. Fischer is probably one of the last items Calgary needs right now - too many defensemen. Other than that, nothing in that package stands out. Pretty bad, if not useless, proposal. It just wasn't thought through.

You want our best player....the Art Ross, Maurice Richard and Lester Perason trophy winner of 2001-02, be prepared to cough up Zetterberg. We shouldn't expect any less.

On the flip side, what if Calgary offered Jordan Leopold, a 1st pick in 2004, and a mid-level prospect for Zetterberg? You wouldn't take it, and that's how we observe your proposal as.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:57 AM
The Burning Red

Quote:
That wouldn't work out as Detroit is weak at the center position and Zetterberg is being moved to the center position for this year. But how about the following revised offer:

To Cal: 1st rounder 04 & 1st rounder 05, C Jiri Hudler, C Tomas Kopecky, G Stefan Liv, 2 Million $.

You just keep smoking that stuff... Iginla would not go to Detroit, there's nothing there to offer us... keep dreaming

*edit* I don't think Zetterburg is even that great of a talent, it will be intersting to see how he performs with a weaker team up front in Detroit. Zetterburg doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who can carry a team on his back and be a game breaker... something the Flames would need in return for Iginla

Old
09-22-2003, 08:00 AM
looooob

Quote:

OK first of all the first deal doesn't work for reasons discussed.

I'm not sure the second one does either

The first rounders are going to be late picks, that if they ever play at all for the Flames it will be in 5 years time

Liv is a decent prospect, but we are tied to Turek for now, and the organization seems high on Krahn, Sabourin and possibly Medvedev in the future.

Fleischman and Hudler. good prospects. but we passed on both of these guys 2 years ago to draft Brian McConnell (why we did that I have no idea ) but we aren't all of a sudden going to deal Iginla for them, especially when you look at the Flames depth chart at RW:

Iginla,Kobasew,Donovan,Clark, with no alot of prospects coming up

at C:
Conroy,Reinprecht,Yelle,Betts with Lombardi,Trubachev,Taratukhin,McConnel,Moss coming up.

In an Iginla deal we would need NHL ready young wingers coming back I would think

edit: oops sorry I had Fleischmann on the brain whereas I see you actually included Kopecky. Anyways the basic reason(s) for declining offer remain

Old
09-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:

You say Detroit is weak at center, yet in your proposal you include two decent propects who play center. Huh?

Why don't you keep Hudler and Kopecky, keep Liv (we have absolutely NO use for him), keep your money (these kind of money transactions are frowned upon and don't really happen anymore in today's NHL - plus, it's an inflated, fake sense of perceived value in a proposal) and keep your 1sts, as they would proabably be in the 27-30 rank in the drafts.

You want Iginla? Just give us Zetterberg. No excuses. You want our best player, we'll tell you what we want and we build from there.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Try Datsyuk, Zetterberg and first for Iginla. Anything less gets laughed at.

Old
09-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Anything less gets laughed at.
Laughter wasn't my first reaction after reading the tread title & Cup4Wings's proposal. :mad:

Somebody should counter with Montador & a fourth rounder for Zetterberg.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
On the flip side, what if Calgary offered Jordan Leopold, a 1st pick in 2004, and a mid-level prospect for Zetterberg? You wouldn't take it, and that's how we observe your proposal as.
WHAT?!?!?!?

There's no way WE give up Leopold a 1st and a prospect for Zetterberg. That's overpaying. Either you underrate Leopold or overrate Zetterberg.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Sorry Cup4Wings but those deals don't really come close to what we'd need for him. The team has said they'd trade him if the return in the trade guaranteed a cup but your packages were underwhelming to say the least. Basically what it would take to get Iginla is a package that you would never offer. It would have to be a no-brainer deal, a total and complete win for the Flames.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Ozy_Flame

I'd go with what you have in Detroit right now, and think about acquiring a franchise player later. See how the kids work out playing with Hull, Yzerman, and Shanahan. I think that's the best way to go.

But if you do end up looking for that franchise player, look elsewhere. Iggy is ours, and he's even offered to restructure his future contract to stay with the Flames. Unfortunately I do not have a source, but I'm sure other fellow Flames fans have heard the same thing this summer.

Now with the idea of being traded, Calgary needs to upgrade their forwards, not downgrade in any form or fashion. We don't have the firepower to start trading our producers, it's step in the wrong direction.

Old
09-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

There's no way Jarome Iginla fetches anything near his worth via a trade.

President Ken King has Darryl Sutter by the knackers. If Iggy goes, there will be a cut in overall payroll by about $2 million. Under those conditions, there's no way Sutter comes out even in a trade.

It was all explained in Bruce Dowbiggin's article in the Herald today.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:16 PM
looooob

actually Dowbiggin added that little tidbit after being chewed out by King for his column from last week.

however what he said was naughty boy Craig button would have had his payroll chopped by 2 million, he didn't say the same thing would happen to the golden child of the moment Darryl Sutter

but I agree with you in principle, getting fair value in return will not be easy

Old
09-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
There's no way Jarome Iginla fetches anything near his worth via a trade.

President Ken King has Darryl Sutter by the knackers. If Iggy goes, there will be a cut in overall payroll by about $2 million. Under those conditions, there's no way Sutter comes out even in a trade.

It was all explained in Bruce Dowbiggin's article in the Herald today.
Now I haven't read the article in question, but that article was a contradictory piece of birdcage liner from what I have heard from quite a few people. The "sense level" of the article was at an all time low for Doh!biggen.

Really, if the Flames traded Iginla and trimmed $2 million from the budget, who cares? You subtract Iginla's $7.5 million this year and replace it with the $3-5 million you're taking on (two young players who are likely paid $1.5-$2.5 million per season, and the stud prospect who is getting paid nothing to play junior hockey) and you're exactly where management expects you to be. Wow, what a concept! How Doh!biggen missed the obvious is beyond me? No, wait. This is the guy that CP lovingly refers to as DUMBiggen, so it all does make sense.

Closed Thread