HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former NHLer and Flyer Reg Fleming had hockey induced brain damage

Old
12-19-2009, 11:27 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Former NHLer and Flyer Reg Fleming had hockey induced brain damage

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4753874

Quote:
Fleming, who spent 12 seasons in the NHL, was found by Boston University researchers to have had chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a disease that causes cognitive decline, behavioral abnormalities and ultimately dementia, The Times said. Fleming is the first hockey player known to have been tested for the disease, which was also found in several former NFL players recently.
This is a real shame but I can't help but think that people will over react to this. I know it is sad that he died and had brain damage, and I mean no disrespect, but he played for 12 years in the NHL before there were helmets. I'm sure people on ESPN and other networks will start talking about how barbaric and unsafe hockey is now because this happened to one person.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-19-2009 at 03:25 PM.
DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
That's a sin, it was only a matter of time. But he also played in a time where a concussion was just considered "cleaning your clock" and no one thought anything of it. A lot of steps forward have been made in the past 15 years in head injuries, head trauma, and concussion, so I don't expect this to be a big issue in hockey, not nearly as big as football or boxing, obviously.

One more reason I like MMA over Boxing, too.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:58 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

ESPN looks for any excuse to bash hockey. They really can't in this case, however, because it's similar to the plight of the NFL.

12-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Mgkibbles

Just like Andre Waters suicide its a product of the times. Nobody realized how serious concussions were. Like HockeyKnight said they considered it just getting your bell rung. You're likely going to see more of these types of stories, but thankfully sports organizations are finally starting to take these serious so hopefully in 10-20 years concussions won't be a long term issue.

Just an afterthought, does any worry about Lindros and his long term health?

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:21 PM
UseYourAllusion

Was 100% sure this was a lindros article.

Also, any one who doesn't think this is a problem in other sports too, needs to listen to Troy Aikman speak.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:22 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Just like Andre Waters suicide its a product of the times. Nobody realized how serious concussions were. Like HockeyKnight said they considered it just getting your bell rung. You're likely going to see more of these types of stories, but thankfully sports organizations are finally starting to take these serious so hopefully in 10-20 years concussions won't be a long term issue.

Just an afterthought, does any worry about Lindros and his long term health?
I was thinking of him and SuPrimeau when I read that. I hope their concussion issues won't affect them later in their life.

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Jester

Is anyone actually surprised?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Was 100% sure this was a lindros article.

Also, any one who doesn't think this is a problem in other sports too, needs to listen to Troy Aikman speak.
right because being hired by FOX Sports to do analyzing for football games is a sure sign of brain damage?

yeah, he got knocked out of football because of concussions but there is nothing as severe as you are implying.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
right because being hired by FOX Sports to do analyzing for football games is a sure sign of brain damage?

yeah, he got knocked out of football because of concussions but there is nothing as severe as you are implying.
...I'll guarantee you Aikman has these signs on his brain. However, this damage does not necessarily manifest itself as much as you'd expect.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:36 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

This man works for FOX's NFL coverage, I'm not sure that intelligent discourse is their primary requirment for a position. Someone like Aikman brings his name, nothing more.

Old
12-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post

This man works for FOX's NFL coverage, I'm not sure that intelligent discourse is their primary requirment for a position. Someone like Aikman brings his name, nothing more.
i guess the fact that a former player can dissect the play and reiterate to fans in an understanding manner without even seeing a replay is no plus at all?

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:26 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
i guess the fact that a former player can dissect the play and reiterate to fans in an understanding manner without even seeing a replay is no plus at all?
It would be a plus. I don't think Aikman, nor many of the other former player commentators do it effectively.