HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Whitney

Old
12-20-2009, 11:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
Ray Whitney

From the Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...918/story.html

Quote:
Chances are Carolina Hurricanes UFA Ray Whitney will end up with the Boston Bruins as a trade-deadline deal for a second-round draft pick. The offensively-challenged Bruins will perhaps ask Mark Recchi what he thought of Whitney from the Canes’ 2006 Cup run. If not Boston, then Philadelphia may be a possible destination, as former Hurricanes bench boss Peter Laviolette is currently head coach there.

12-20-2009, 11:05 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
id say Cullen is more likely for us

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:07 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

$3.550m cap hit might be tough, but it would create my prized top nine format (haters will hate). I'd rather go after someone less financially well-off.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
Rumor shot down, Denver Post:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009...rumor-edition/

Quote:
OK, first off: I don’t often respond to stupid trade rumors from other hockey “news” blogs – which I realize is a complete redundancy in terms.

But please, stop it with these “Duchene and O’Reilly to Atlanta for Kovalchuk” and “O’Reilly and Liles and Wilson and half the Denver Mint for a couple of underachieving Philadelphia Flyers” rumors.

Repeat after me: the Avalanche is not trading Matt Duchene or Ryan O’Reilly. It’s not going to happen. It’s especially not going to happen for a guy like Ilya Kovalchuk or any other guy in the last year of a contract, and the salary demands for his next deal are said to begin at $11 million per year. The Avalanche has played this game before, but they don’t play that game anymore.

They are NOT trading their young, up-and-coming stars for high-dollar guys who may flee after a few months. Won’t happen.

Same goes for a rumored deal of O’Reilly and Wilson and Liles to Philly for Jeff Carter and Scott Hartnell and a pick. Won’t happen.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:26 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
O'Rielly, Wilson, and Liles for Carter, Hartnell, and a pick?

I highly doubt that would ever happen...ever.

Old
12-20-2009, 11:35 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
$3.550m cap hit might be tough, but it would create my prized top nine format (haters will hate). I'd rather go after someone less financially well-off.
Gagne-Richards-Briere
Whitney-Carter-Hartnell
JVR-Giroux-Powe
Carcillo-Betts-Lapperiere
Asham/Pyorala

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:36 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
What picks? Our 2032 1st? The world will have ended by then anyway.

12-20-2009, 12:00 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
So is there going to be a rumor about every player Laviolette has ever coached?

How about Cam Ward? Id love him.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:31 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Eric Staal, Cam Ward, Ray Whitney and a First for Carter, Coburn and Carcillo.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
So is there going to be a rumor about every player Laviolette has ever coached?

How about Cam Ward? Id love him.
Usually how it goes.

Especially since we have a trading history with Rutherford.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Larry44

Quote:

Only if Homer can have the Av's GM charged with **** afterward.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Larry44

Quote:
We can't afford Whitney. We need more size and speed upfront, not another Briere/Giroux clone.

Old
12-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Kaktus*

This is the 1st time I am saying it but I hope we will trade Briere. His contract is going on his 3rd year yet I do not see any god damn progress with him.. Hopefully, we can bring Bridny (Canes recently benched him) back and maybe a LW or RW just to make salary work.

If Homer trades Carter and keeps Briere then I want him gone. I am not kidding. In 3 years he traded everything away with exception of Richards and Giroux.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
This is the 1st time I am saying it but I hope we will trade Briere. His contract is going on his 3rd year yet I do not see any god damn progress with him.. Hopefully, we can bring Bridny (Canes recently benched him) back and maybe a LW or RW just to make salary work.
I love Brind'amour but not for Briere. Brind'amour is done. He would be ok if we didn't have a Blair Betts or Lappy, but we have them already. Briere is an offensive and that is what the Flyers need. Not to mention he has played well this season when healthy/not suspended.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I love Brind'amour but not for Briere. Brind'amour is done. He would be ok if we didn't have a Blair Betts or Lappy, but we have them already. Briere is an offensive and that is what the Flyers need. Not to mention he has played well this season when healthy/not suspended.
I did not say just Brindy, Brindy plus Whitney for instance...

He did not play well this season, he had games or stretches of games when he played well. Think about it, you settling for 60pts a season from a 6.5M a year player.

Old
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
txpd

Jim Rutherford is quoted as saying Carolina intends to extend Ray Whitney who wants to stay in Carolina. No comment on the same Q with regard to Cullen. So...Whitney is not available. Cullen probably is

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Cullen would not be a bad depth forward.

Old
12-21-2009, 10:34 AM
2Claude2Giroux

Rod Brind'Amour is useless and complete garbage. I want him no where near this team. He won't help at all.

Briere is the least of our problems. I don't want him traded.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
Rod Brind'Amour is useless and complete garbage. I want him no where near this team. He won't help at all.

Briere is the least of our problems. I don't want him traded.
Yes our 6.5M a year player is not really scoring goals so lets trade Carter. Carter you lazy 24 year old mother****er.. We will trade your ass.

Old
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Larry44

Quote:

If Homer trades Carter and keeps Briere then I want him gone. I am not kidding. In 3 years he traded everything away with exception of Richards and Giroux.
The problem started three years ago, when, after the worst year, they rebounded. Homer got caught thinking they were only a piece away from the Cup. So he mortgaged a lot for Pronger. A lot of us thought the return would be worth the cost, but Pronger stinks. Again tonight, on Weiss' goal, he's standing in front, on the PK, not bothering to check anyone. Game after game they are scoring right in front of him. Is he playing to get Laviolette fired?

I'm impressed with the Panthers. They've stuck with guys like Weiss and Horton and built a great team around them.

When Keith Ballard and Brian McCabe are way better than Pronger and Timonen, you are in trouble.

Old
12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Yes our 6.5M a year player is not really scoring goals so lets trade Carter. Carter you lazy 24 year old mother****er.. We will trade your ass.
Last I checked he had 72 points in his first year with absolute slop for wingers....He is an 80 point player when healthy, and when the supporting cast around him is performing. We can debate for hours whether he is worth his cap hit or not, but he is the least of the problems with this teams performance on the ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The problem started three years ago, when, after the worst year, they rebounded. Homer got caught thinking they were only a piece away from the Cup. So he mortgaged a lot for Pronger. A lot of us thought the return would be worth the cost, but Pronger stinks. Again tonight, on Weiss' goal, he's standing in front, on the PK, not bothering to check anyone. Game after game they are scoring right in front of him. Is he playing to get Laviolette fired?

I'm impressed with the Panthers. They've stuck with guys like Weiss and Horton and built a great team around them.

When Keith Ballard and Brian McCabe are way better than Pronger and Timonen, you are in trouble.
I very rarely agree with you, but I have to here, most of it anyway....I dont think Pronger is as bad as you say.....Everyone looks like crap right now so I hesitate to pick on individual players.

As far as being patient with young players, I agree completely. We should have been doing that for the past few years but we kept moving young guys for the quick fix and look where it has gotten us

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:03 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Well a good rule of thumb is that any rumor that involves us sending a pick the other way isn't true because we gave pretty much any pick of value away a while ago.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Last I checked he had 72 points in his first year with absolute slop for wingers....He is an 80 point player when healthy, and when the supporting cast around him is performing. We can debate for hours whether he is worth his cap hit or not, but he is the least of the problems with this teams performance on the ice
Which part would you like to debate? His one goal in last 10 games or stupid penalties he and Hartnell take on regular basis. They are finally catching up with this team.

Sure he had 72 pts and 30 goals but he was minus 29 and usually I do not give a **** about that particular stat but when you are minus 29 it is for a good god dman reason. You know there is something wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

What does PK have to do with taking idiotic penalties? We have a ****ing back up and back up of the back up in the net. You know what I mean? I mean most teams try to be discipline, play D, block shots skate back and help out, steal the puck lift the stick or make a nice d-sive play.
You want go and blame Pronger for bad PK go right ahead. As a fan you have every right to do so. Fine. Bad Pronger.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-22-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old
12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
flountown

Please forget about trading Briere. He has a NMC, his kids are settled, and he most likely does not want to leave Philadelphia and uproot his family over a rare funk that this team is in.

Also, Briere's +/- is not what he is here for. He is meant to bring us points on the power play, which the recent drought I think is more due to people taking poor shots and having them blocked, which means Briere's wonderful passes which would be assists and possibly goals on rebounds, do not occur. Also, please remember how +/- works, if he is on the ice for a power play goal, he does not receive a + towards his total. So his realistic GF/GA or his positives far outweigh his negatives in my opinion.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Please forget about trading Briere. He has a NMC, his kids are settled, and he most likely does not want to leave Philadelphia and uproot his family over a rare funk that this team is in.

Also, Briere's +/- is not what he is here for. He is meant to bring us points on the power play, which the recent drought I think is more due to people taking poor shots and having them blocked, which means Briere's wonderful passes which would be assists and possibly goals on rebounds, do not occur. Also, please remember how +/- works, if he is on the ice for a power play goal, he does not receive a + towards his total. So his realistic GF/GA or his positives far outweigh his negatives in my opinion.
Put him in the press box until he agrees to waive. Send him to whoever will take him.