HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gabby vs. Heatley: Who would you rather have?

View Poll Results: Who do you prefer?
Gabby, even with his history of injuries 158 98.14%
Heatley, even if we lost Dubinsky 3 1.86%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-20-2009, 12:17 AM
NY Ranger86

vCash: 500
Worst thing we did this off season was not getting Heatley. And signing Kotalik to 3yr/3mil.

Rosi Dubi and Sanguinetti for Heatley... worth it.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:21 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Worst thing we did this off season was not getting Heatley. And signing Kotalik to 3yr/3mil.

This, I believed that even at the time that was under consideration. Kotalik's contract was a bit big as well I think we can all agree.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:31 AM
FLYLine24*

EASILY Gabby right now.

Gabby is a top 5 forward in the league easily. Its always the health issue which is the issue but he's been very healthy early on except for that game or 2.

But man do i wish we had both.....

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:42 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

I thought it was Rosival, Dubinsky, McDonaugh*, and a throw in like Potter. If they like Dubi and McD as much as the rumors have reported, that would have been enough to get the deal done.

The deal they ended up with was

Heatley and a 5th
Michalek, Cheechoo, and a 2nd

some draft pick swapping might have been all needed to make it a deal but I'm sure we all remember the stories of Murray using the Edm deal to pull a bait and switch on Sather killing any deals.

*to quote Edge in the Mueller thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Organizations tend to really like players they had on their draft radar until learn the guy can either play or not play.

It's kind of a "first love mentality." It's also why teams sometimes make horrible decisions and go after the wrong players, even when they have better options staring them right in the face.

That's why you tend to see teams acquire young players they liked on draft day. Human nature dictates you're going to remember a kid you liked on draft, even moreso than a kid who came out of nowhere on you.

Kotalik = massive waste of cap space. Instead of $7M, Drury is now costing us $10M in cap.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:37 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Drury is now costing us $10M in cap.
Drury..... ate Kotalik?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:38 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Kotalik = massive waste of cap space. Instead of $7M, Drury is now costing us $10M in cap.
How is Kotalik wasting $3mil of cap space Drury's fault? He was brought in because of his powerplay "expertise", not to play with Drury.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:40 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

It was never all that certain that Ottawa wanted to take Roszival to make the trade work. I really doubt they did, at least not if Sanguinetti and Dubi were the only other players coming back.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:39 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Gaborik.

I'm not enamored of players who get a NTC and then demand to be traded only to the teams they want to be traded to.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

yep, totally agreed. thats a trade i woulda made as well. i woulda also brought back Zherdev.

what would our team have looked like though...kinda interesting to think about it.

Im not sure how this works cap wise, but im guessing something along these lines (to spread the wealth)

Higgins Prospal Gaborik
Heatley Drury Callahan
Avery Anisimov Lisin
Byers Boyle Brashear
Voros

Staal Girardi
Redden Gilroy
MDZ Sauer/Heikkinen

Lundqvist
Vally/whoever

D is a little bit green, but that offense is a heck of a lot more balanced. and your first PP becomes a helluva lot more scary when you have Heatley blasting away with those 1-timer passes.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 05:53 AM
The_Chosen_One

^ I don't think Heatley's linemates would be able to feed him the puck. He'd need to be on the same line with Gaborik imo.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 06:07 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
yep, totally agreed. thats a trade i woulda made as well. i woulda also brought back Zherdev.

what would our team have looked like though...kinda interesting to think about it.

Im not sure how this works cap wise, but im guessing something along these lines (to spread the wealth)

Higgins Prospal Gaborik
Heatley Drury Callahan
Avery Anisimov Lisin
Byers Boyle Brashear
Voros

Staal Girardi
Redden Gilroy
MDZ Sauer/Heikkinen

Lundqvist
Vally/whoever

D is a little bit green, but that offense is a heck of a lot more balanced. and your first PP becomes a helluva lot more scary when you have Heatley blasting away with those 1-timer passes.
The problem with this is that you have 22 million dollars tied up in just three forwards. So if you want to have a capable defense, you could only spend 8-10 million dollars on the 10 remaining forwards. And while it could've worked cap-wise this season, you have to re-sign Staal and Girardi next year, and you won't get Prospal für 1.1 million again. I think a team just cannot have three 7+ million dollar forwards for three years, especially if one of them is Drury.
In the long run I think we are better of with what we have right now, as we don't have to worry too much about losing somehomegrown talent to cap hell. And once Drury's contract is finally up (and Rozy is off the books as well), we can look for another superstar forward to maybe make us a real contender with a few other good moves and some talent from our deep prospect pool.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:49 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
I call ********. Sather didnt miss the damn boat, he was able to get rid of Scott Gomez and turn him into Marian Gaborik, Chris Higgins and Ryan Mcdonough.

So because he didnt do everything YOU would have liked he missed the boat?

Sather has not done as bad of a job as every one is thinking give the man some damn credit.
We have what, 5 defenseman 25 or under with 3 rookies on defense at the moment?

3 or 4 of our 12 forwards are 30 or older... meaning our crop of forwards is pretty damn young too.

Look at our roster turn over from last year. Did you expect instant chemistry?

WE ARE A YOUNG TEAM. Any one who expected a cup or at least getting close was off their rocker. Next year, maybe and I will gladly eat a ****ing SEMI TRUCK OF CROW if they made it to the stanley cup finals.
no, 6 coaches including himself, 7 straight years of no playoffs, 4 straight years of early playoff exits. horrible contracts that are killing this team. even with gaborik we are not a playoff team and having a young team doesnt mean you have great talent.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
The problem with this is that you have 22 million dollars tied up in just three forwards. So if you want to have a capable defense, you could only spend 8-10 million dollars on the 10 remaining forwards. And while it could've worked cap-wise this season, you have to re-sign Staal and Girardi next year, and you won't get Prospal für 1.1 million again. I think a team just cannot have three 7+ million dollar forwards for three years, especially if one of them is Drury.
In the long run I think we are better of with what we have right now, as we don't have to worry too much about losing somehomegrown talent to cap hell. And once Drury's contract is finally up (and Rozy is off the books as well), we can look for another superstar forward to maybe make us a real contender with a few other good moves and some talent from our deep prospect pool.
well, heres the question...would you rather have 21-22 million dollars tied up in Heatley, Gaborik and Drury
or 19-20 million tied up in Gaborik, Drury, Rozsival.

its all the same in terms of contract, youre gonna have to dump someone to sign those previously mentioned players, and it can all be solved by simply waiving Wade Redden and eating his salary.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
hahaha 37-0

the real joke is on the people that wanted heatley over gabby in the off-season
the joke would have been on us (pro gaby people) if he got hurt though. It's easy for us to say it in hindsight. Most people already knew when healthy, Gaborik was the better player.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:50 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

While I understand why this poll is the way it is (and I love watching the guy), Gabby hasn't even played half a season yet. Let's see if he can average 60-70 games/yr over the life of his contract.