HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greyhounds' Muzzin Inks Free Agent Deal With Kings

Old
12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
socalpuck

vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QU9...eature=related

muzzin

socalpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

In xmas terms, we call this a stocking stuffer.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpuck View Post
agree! But I think it's a good sign that these kids are willing to sign in L.A. It shows that the Kings are becoming a viable option and the staff is commited to the youth movement and yes the kings will not hit on every one of them but it's nice to see the signings.
I'm not saying it's a bad signing by any means, if you might have gotten that impression. I just think it's good practice to keep some perspective regarding the signing.

While it's nice to see the team wrestle away a coveted player from other teams, I think it's important to try to maintain some realistic expectations -- that was what I was hoping to get across.

Essentially: signed a coveted player =/= signed a future all-star

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Matt13

tough hockey player wearing a "C". nice.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 06:20 PM
socalpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
I'm not saying it's a bad signing by any means, if you might have gotten that impression. I just think it's good practice to keep some perspective regarding the signing.

While it's nice to see the team wrestle away a coveted player from other teams, I think it's important to try to maintain some realistic expectations -- that was what I was hoping to get across.

Essentially: signed a coveted player =/= signed a future all-star
I understand what you are saying and did not get the wrong impression.

socalpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I'm not seeing much pims out of Muzzin but he does have pretty good size at 6'2 and 216 lbs.

Personally, I'd still rather see Voynov or Hickey get moved over Teubert. We've never had a homegrown thug on defense and I for one would like to see Teubert fulfill that role.
Jay Wells says hello! Although that might be long before your time, so I'll forgive you, but just this once.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 07:38 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Jay Wells says hello! Although that might be long before your time, so I'll forgive you, but just this once.
Ah, Jay Wells, one of my all time favorite kings. Yes, I know him well.

I guess I should have said a homegrown thug with some offensive ability instead.

There, you happy?

edit: I just realized something. I think Simmonds played with Soo back in the '07 season as well. Simmonds probably knows Muzzin.

Last edited by The Black1963: 12-20-2009 at 07:53 PM.
The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:59 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Ah, Jay Wells, one of my all time favorite kings. Yes, I know him well.

I guess I should have said a homegrown thug with some offensive ability instead.

There, you happy?

edit: I just realized something. I think Simmonds played with Soo back in the '07 season as well. Simmonds probably knows Muzzin.
O.k., we actually agree on something, that being Wells as one of our all time favorite Kings. Heart and Soul player, defender, 1st round pick, developed by the Kings organ-eye-zation, known for his ruggedness and killer hip-check. Also known as a guy who would not back down from heavyweights despite the fact that he was not in that weight division.

As for offensive talent, or lack thereof, just remember: The Miracle on Manchester doesn't even start without his goal, the first one of six consective goals, topped of by Mr. Gravey-train himself, Daryl Evans.

As for being "HAPPY" you can answer that one for me when you answer this one: Has a King player drank from the cup while a member of this team yet?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:39 AM
hangons

Jay Wells... the best Kings D-Man of all time!

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangons View Post
Jay Wells... the best Kings D-Man of all time!
Doughty sends his regards

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Doughty sends his regards
Let's not go anointing him supreme just yet.

P.S. Love the avatar by the way... You'll shoot your eye out

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 02:12 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
While it's nice I'd still take it with a grain of salt until it plays out a little more. If you'll recall, both Teddy Purcell and Joe Piskula were hotly pursued college free agents that the Kings beat out multiple teams to sign.

Fast forward to today, nobody really talks about Piskula even being in the picture to play with the team and a lot of folks are waiting and hoping that Purcell is sent packing.

You just never know how young kids and projections that are sometimes a gamble at best are going to work out, you know?
So was Drewiske and two of those three could fetch a return at no cost.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Let's not go anointing him supreme just yet.

P.S. Love the avatar by the way... You'll shoot your eye out
Forgot the

My new Christmas avatar, that movie never gets old.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Randart

OMG, I did not even Pay Attention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Forgot the

My new Christmas avatar, that movie never gets old.

The Old Man's Special Award, and no one but mom knows what trully happend to it!

Lucky that kid wore glasses... Ralphy never get contacts!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:54 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2232341

Balmy Los Angeles may seem to have little in common with the North Pole.

And Los Angeles Kings general manager Dean Lombardi may bear very little resemblance to Old Saint Nick.

But to Soo Greyhounds defenceman Jake Muzzin, it must have seemed that Christmas had come early this past Friday, when he agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level contract with the NHL's Kings.

"It's been a good start to the season for me," said Muzzin, the Hounds 20-year-old captain, who leads all Ontario Hockey League defencemen with 41 points in 34 games. "And teams have noticed.

"I didn't expect this to happen this early, so I'm a little surprised that way, but I've been working hard for this, so it feels good."

Muzzin's deal won't be formalized or signed until after Jan. 1, in order to take advantage of favourable terms in the NHL's Collective Bargaining Agreement regarding future arbitration rights.

Muzzin said he expects to sign his new deal on or about Jan. 2.

Reached at his family home in Woodstock, Ont. Monday evening, the six-foot-two, 216-pound blue-liner was unwilling to disclose his salary. But he confirmed his contract will be a two-way deal, between the Kings and their top minor league affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs.

He'll return to the Hounds following the Christmas break, but if their season finishes before that of the Monarchs, he'll likely be called up to the American Hockey League club.

Former teammate Andrew Campbell, a third-round pick of the Kings in 2008, plays in Manchester.

Campbell and Jordan Nolan, the Kings' seventh-round choice in the 2009 draft, helped sell Muzzin on LA.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Johnny Utah

I think signs are point to the Kings moving a D man at some point....

Doughty, Greene, Johnson, Scuderi, and Drewiske aren't going anywhere anytime soon....that probably leaves 2 spots for the next few years between Hickey, Muzzin, Teubert, Martinez, and Voynov...Deslauriers is a little younger, so he might take longer....I know Lombardi likes the guys to spend some time in the minors, but Martinez is 22, Voynov is 20 and said he wants to make the NHL sooner than later, Teubert is 20, Hickey is 21 and Muzzin is 20...Those guys might not be far away....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

Doughty, Greene, Johnson, Scuderi, and Drewiske aren't going anywhere anytime soon....that probably leaves 2 spots for the next few years between Hickey, Muzzin, Teubert, Martinez, and Voynov...Deslauriers is a little younger, so he might take longer....I know Lombardi likes the guys to spend some time in the minors, but Martinez is 22, Voynov is 20 and said he wants to make the NHL sooner than later, Teubert is 20, Hickey is 21 and Muzzin is 20...Those guys might not be far away....
damn... when it rains... it pours D man prospects

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:41 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

Deslauriers is likely going back to juniors next season, and if i'm not mistaken, if need be, Colten Teubert CAN play as an over-ager... i don't think this season will be a 4th full year. though that is probably not likely - i'm sure they want him learning the pro game as soon as they can.

there is also the ECHL.

i wouldn't be too certain about the idea that Davis Drewiske won't be going anywhere.

and he (Dean) will always have the need to keep a veteran on the back-end.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:47 PM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
Deslauriers is likely going back to juniors next season, and if i'm not mistaken, if need be, Colten Teubert CAN play as an over-ager... i don't think this season will be a 4th full year. though that is probably not likely - i'm sure they want him learning the pro game as soon as they can.
Teubert is in his 4th full season in Juniors and will be 20 next year, so he is moving on up to the AHL.

Deslauriers will turn 19 in Feburary of 2010, so its Juniors or the NHL for him.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post

there is also the ECHL.

i wouldn't be too certain about the idea that Davis Drewiske won't be going anywhere.

and he (Dean) will always have the need to keep a veteran on the back-end.
I wouldn't be too certain about Drewiske or Johnson personally.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:33 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I wouldn't be too certain about Drewiske or Johnson personally.
i agree about Johnson as well. i just think that if this turns out to be another case of Johnson V. other guy (Kyle Quincey), you still move forward with your talent.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Five of the seven defenseman on the roster are under contract next season (O'Donnell and Jones will be UFA). It is likely to see two players from Manchester to graduate to the NHL.

1. Doughty
2. Johnson
3. Scuderi
4. Greene
5. Drewiske
6. Voynov
7. Martinez

Of the defenseman in Manchester, Piskula and Bagnall will be RFAs and it is possible for the Kings not to qualify them.

Contracted players in Manchester will be:

1. Hickey
2. Teubert
3. Mullen
4. Campbell
5. Kolomatis (minor-league contract)
6. Muzzin

Deslauriers is not signed and will remain in juniors next season. The Kings have plenty of depth, but they don't necessarily have to move any bodies to make room for players.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:01 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Five of the seven defenseman on the roster are under contract next season (O'Donnell and Jones will be UFA). It is likely to see two players from Manchester to graduate to the NHL.

1. Doughty
2. Johnson
3. Scuderi
4. Greene
5. Drewiske
6. Voynov
7. Martinez

Of the defenseman in Manchester, Piskula and Bagnall will be RFAs and it is possible for the Kings not to qualify them.

Contracted players in Manchester will be:

1. Hickey
2. Teubert
3. Mullen
4. Campbell
5. Kolomatis (minor-league contract)
6. Muzzin

Deslauriers is not signed and will remain in juniors next season. The Kings have plenty of depth, but they don't necessarily have to move any bodies to make room for players.
How do you figure 2? And if so, why Martinez and Voynov? If anything with OD probably leaving, it's not out of reach to think that Bagnall has an outside chance of making this team. A free agent signing is probably a better option but I wouldn't rule out Bagnall.

My guess is that at least one of our dman prospects will get traded before the start of next season.

Old
12-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Mazokngstc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Five of the seven defenseman on the roster are under contract next season (O'Donnell and Jones will be UFA).
Unless he gets hurt or is absolutely gassed in April, I would think OD has earned another year. Voynov is probably ready to come up as a #7 in place of Jones, Martinez is OD insurance in the press box.

Mazokngstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Johnny Utah

I think the reason they added Muzzin and why they drafted Teubert is because we don't have any TOUGH defensemen....we almost need to resign O'Donnell because Voynov, Martinez, Hickey, Drewiske, Harrold, and Mullen are not tough stay at home guys...Teubert has traits than no other Kings D prospect has.

Jones can be replaced by Martinez, Voynov or possibly Hickey but O'Donnell needs to replaced by a tough stay at home guy, unless we keep him....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote