HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 - 2 Caps over the oilers(thanks to the refs)

Old
12-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Looks like nobody got my Cogliano reference on the first page.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/ho...08776-qmi.html

Quote:
They’re a team that wants to come in here, score a bunch of goals and kind of embarrass the teams they’re playing,” said Andrew Cogliano, who recognizes a slim margin for error when he sees one. “It could either go two ways, you could lose the game by eight or win a close one.”

“I wonder who’s going to be playing against (Ovechkin), it’s going to be a tough chore,” said Cogliano. “But, most likely if you shut that line down you’ll win the game, or come close.”

We have a lot of pride, we’re not going to let a guy like Ovechkin come in and dance around and do whatever he wants,” said Cogliano. “Our main focus is obviously to shut him down and their line down ... and worry about ourselves. We have a lot of stuff to take care of in our end and with our game. If we do that, hopefully we’ll have a good night.”
I cringe everytime this guy gets in front of a microphone. I especially like the bolded comment which jumped out at me on Friday. Mainly because I recognized it as pure bs from a player that can't even get his NHL game on never mind talking about shutting down the greatest player on Earth.

I wonder what Quinn thought about that quote and also in retrospect of what happened.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:51 PM
smithboy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The point is that Tambo paid twice as much longterm for an also aged goalie with known injury problems in addressing the one situation on the club that didn't require addressing this year.

Roli would have been a fine option for another 2 yrs which is what a lot of us speculated.

Tambo in his infinite wisdom let the best player on this club last season walk for nothing.

If this was the intent why not package him as a rental last season at deadline and at least we'd get a pick. A number of clubs would be interested in Roli insurance headed into the playoffs.

Ah but I forgot, they had to maintain a false hope they would hit the playoffs last season.
Roloson would have been fine as a two year steadying influence. And much cheaper too.

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Stoneman89

Keeping Roli would have been a sideways move at best. But the real reasons signing Khabi was a bad move..

a) he's not much of an upgrade over Roli
b) he' not much younger
c) he has to adapt to a new team
d) he's had injury issues. Wow, big surprise, he's injured this year. At least Roli was there to play the games.
and last but worst
e) 4 freaking years at 4 mill cap hit. Just.....brutal.

So the choice and to summerize...

Sign an old guy that's been here for 3 years, knows the team, will do it for a 2 year term, and probably for 3 mill, is quite durable

vs

Sign an old guy, has to adapt to new team, has injury history, ink him for 4 years at 4 mill/per.

Easy choice in my mind.

Saying all that, signing old, fading goalies is not the way to go as the very best option, unless you get them for cheap backups. This teams apparrant plan has been to develop DD and JDD and hope they turn out.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
The point is that Tambo paid twice as much longterm for an also aged goalie with known injury problems in addressing the one situation on the club that didn't require addressing this year.

Roli would have been a fine option for another 2 yrs which is what a lot of us speculated.

Tambo in his infinite wisdom let the best player on this club last season walk for nothing.

If this was the intent why not package him as a rental last season at deadline and at least we'd get a pick. A number of clubs would be interested in Roli insurance headed into the playoffs.

Ah but I forgot, they had to maintain a false hope they would hit the playoffs last season.
You obviously haven't watched Roli much in recent starts. 7-1 loss to Florida, and 5-2 loss to Rangers in the last week or so. Two garbage clubs and must win games for the Isles, and Roli can't stop a beach ball.

Perhaps Roli has reverted to the form he showed in the 2007-08 season, when he was the most expensive backup in the league?

Your post is nothing but selective revisionist history. He was completely untradeable when he was here, having made a whining public trade demand after he lost his starting job to Garon. He lost the starting job here because he played like crap, and was outplayed. End of story.

Even with his public display (including a ******** story he later modified about his kids being harassed at school), Roli was offered $3 million on a one year deal here. Given the market, that was a very fair offer.

He isn't here because he is another old veteran on this club with an ingrained sense of entitlement.

Good riddance.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
You obviously haven't watched Roli much in recent starts. 7-1 loss to Florida, and 5-2 loss to Rangers in the last week or so. Two garbage clubs and must win games for the Isles, and Roli can't stop a beach ball.

Perhaps Roli has reverted to the form he showed in the 2007-08 season, when he was the most expensive backup in the league?

Your post is nothing but selective revisionist history. He was completely untradeable when he was here, having made a whining public trade demand after he lost his starting job to Garon. He lost the starting job here because he played like crap, and was outplayed. End of story.

Even with his public display (including a ******** story he later modified about his kids being harassed at school), Roli was offered $3 million on a one year deal here. Given the market, that was a very fair offer.

He isn't here because he is another old veteran on this club with an ingrained sense of entitlement.

Good riddance.
Well honestly your take doesn't ring very objective on this and I'm sorry. No point talking about it really if thats your view.

No slam with that either it just seems very onesided.

Thats me saying that..

Old
12-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Good riddance.

He may be sucking right now, but at least he's playing. What's Khabi doing right now and for the last month, all for the measly sum of 4 mill? Lying on the couch with an ice bag on his back.

Old
12-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithboy89 View Post
Roloson would have been fine as a two year steadying influence. And much cheaper too.
Roloson would have wanted more than what Khabi signed for. Don't forget the Oilers have to overpay for UFAs to sign here.

12-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
He may be sucking right now, but at least he's playing. What's Khabi doing right now and for the last month, all for the measly sum of 4 mill? Lying on the couch with an ice bag on his back.
Roli's been excellent all year on the island until very recently and the Islanders record is night and day different with him between the pipes.

Roloson: 11-6-5

Biron: 2-10-2

Allegedly these goalies are playing in front of the same team..

Old
12-20-2009, 02:28 PM
smithboy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Roloson would have wanted more than what Khabi signed for. Don't forget the Oilers have to overpay for UFAs to sign here.
How do you know this? Are you his agent?

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithboy89 View Post
How do you know this? Are you his agent?

Oh, she has lots of "inside" information. But she can't tell you where it's from because it's "secret."

Old
12-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
He wanted 2.5, which the Oilers were OK with, but he wanted 2 years, which is where Tamby said no.

Which had a certain logic to it, until you go out and throw a 4 year deal at Khabibulin.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:

I realize the details but my point is that there is no plan. That is pretty obvious when all you do is chase what you perceive to be the best players available on the free agent market. That isnt vision. It isnt part of a plan. Its flying by the seat of your pants. Surely the position and all of its perks demands more than that.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Shibumi

All I will say is the refs missed a good game last night. At this level of play the ability the refs showed on the ice last night was pathetic. That being said though, the Oilers need to be tougher mentally to overcome such things.

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Well honestly your take doesn't ring very objective on this and I'm sorry. No point talking about it really if thats your view.

No slam with that either it just seems very onesided.

Thats me saying that..
Ironic that you would respond in the way that you did, since I found a lack of objectivity in your post. Perhaps you object to being confronted with some realities about a favorite player? The fact of the matter is that Roli had a checkered history here, including an extended period of play where he underperformed his contract.

He was outplayed during the 2007-08 season, and his response was to go public and demand to be traded. Not very professional I'm afraid, especially since he manufactured false reasons for his trade demand, and this franchise was very good to him both contractually and in terms of opportunity to play.

The fact that Biron is worse than Roli isn't much of an argument when your only point is we should have given Roli top dollars and the term he was demanding.

There is no evidence that he even offered to play here for the contract he later agreed to in NYI.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Ironic that you would respond in the way that you did, since I found a lack of objectivity in your post. Perhaps you object to being confronted with some realities about a favorite player? The fact of the matter is that Roli had a checkered history here, including an extended period of play where he underperformed his contract.

He was outplayed during the 2007-08 season, and his response was to go public and demand to be traded. Not very professional I'm afraid, especially since he manufactured false reasons for his trade demand, and this franchise was very good to him both contractually and in terms of opportunity to play.

The fact that Biron is worse than Roli isn't much of an argument when your only point is we should have given Roli top dollars and the term he was demanding.

There is no evidence that he even offered to play here for the contract he later agreed to in NYI.
I don't claim objectivity on this. I even made sport of my take and how biased I can be if you noticed. It really isn't that important. We have polarized different views on the player and I think that is okay. I'm not taking any objection to your comments. We just have different opinions.

Contractually I have to agree with what you say and we don't know all the details.

I do disagree on his trade demands and also point out how well he played last season as I've referenced in my posts. He was great for us last season, damn good the years before that and in the big SCF run. You seem to want to ignore all that and focus on the one subpar year. Not sure why you insist on just looking at that one time.
It really does seem that timeframe turned you off the player.

Old
12-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I realize the details but my point is that there is no plan. That is pretty obvious when all you do is chase what you perceive to be the best players available on the free agent market. That isnt vision. It isnt part of a plan. Its flying by the seat of your pants. Surely the position and all of its perks demands more than that.
heh

How could I possibly disagree with that?