HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers assign Sanguinetti and Heikkinen to HFD - Gilroy Recalled

Old
12-20-2009, 12:15 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
Boucher cannot handle the load...your right. BUT, Halak is definitely not the answer. He's pretty inconsistent, despite yesterday's 40-save shutout of the Islanders. They shouldn't have let Biron go.
Boucher is a good backup, but he can't be asked to start game after game after game.

I'd like us to get Halak, just for the fact that he's young and still could improve..

I disagree 100% with you saying we shouldn't have, he is NOT worth 5 million a season.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Block More Shots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xV Carter 17 Xv View Post
Boucher is a good backup, but he can't be asked to start game after game after game.

I'd like us to get Halak, just for the fact that he's young and still could improve..

I disagree 100% with you saying we shouldn't have, he is NOT worth 5 million a season.
I do agree with you on the "not worth 5 million a season" statement. BUT, I'm a firm believer in building a team from the goalie out so if a team has to pay to have a solid starter, it's totally worth it. We got lucky with Lundqvist, but he definitely got rewarded with his strong play.

I don't think you guys have many options so Halak is prob the best way to go if he's available.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:46 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I do agree with you on the "not worth 5 million a season" statement. BUT, I'm a firm believer in building a team from the goalie out so if a team has to pay to have a solid starter, it's totally worth it. We got lucky with Lundqvist, but he definitely got rewarded with his strong play.

I don't think you guys have many options so Halak is prob the best way to go if he's available.
I'm also a believer of that, but to be honest I don't think Biron is an upgrade of Emery. I'm really high on Emery, his stats only dropped because he was attempting to play injured and that effected his play.

We really don't have many options at all, I'd love to get Halak, but from everything, it seems Montreal is asking for more then what I think Holmgren would be willing to pay..

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Because a lot of Rangers fans are not hockey fans and don't really know a lot about the game. They latch onto one thing and just ***** and moan to any other fool who will listen. It's a mob mentality. It's funny how unaware of it they are, too.

Granted, the guy has not been good since his injury, but still.
I think that's a fair assessment. BUT, The guy will never live up to anywhere close to his contract and for that I will hate him. Yes, if I had to build the best possible team without any thought to our future/salary cap, he would be on my top pair. However, Those thoughts are always in my head. I just wish Redden would go on the LIRR for a month to save us some money for the deadline. It would certainly be risking but if we found ways to win some games and fight out way back into relevance, the extra cap space would help us grab someone at the deadline.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:59 PM
XthedoodX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xV Carter 17 Xv View Post

You are right, Biron is not worth 5 million, he is a product of good teams like the sabres and flyers, he is garbage on a team with a young and inexperienced defense like the isles but he could be quite effective on a team like the devils

I think Halak is a clear upgrade on boucher... and the flyers are still very much in the playoff hunt, seems like a poor decision to hand the team to him. If Henrik went down fans would be up in arms if we handed the team over to valley or C. Johnson and at least not exploring a trade

XthedoodX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:14 PM
frankthefrowner

Redden deserves to play. I know everyone hates him cause of the old cap hit. But the man is a good Defensemen and we cant possibly rely on Staal to play 30min every night.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:15 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Why all the hate for Redden? He's been one of our best defensemen this season. With the exception of a game or two, he's done well and is certainly having a comeback season.

He's not spectacular, but he gets the job done.

I'm actually angry that he got scratched. I think Kotalik deserved it, but not Redden.

Whether Redden was in the lineup the last two games, I still think we win those games.
You're joking right. Redden's game has regressed big time. People who constantly defend him can't see the forest through the trees. Redden sucks. He has been here for a year and a half and you can count the number of good games on one hand.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:20 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
See, I think Sangs' performance today showed the opposite. I think he is far, far better at distributing the puck breaking out and in the offensive zone than Heikkenen. Not saying that he doesn't stand to learn more in the AHL though.
Heikkinen has not made one good first pass.

Sanguinetti appears a little tight in the offensive zone. In the Flyers game,he had some shots from the point which were blocked or he missed the net. He is afraid to make a mistake.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Because a lot of Rangers fans are not hockey fans and don't really know a lot about the game. They latch onto one thing and just ***** and moan to any other fool who will listen. It's a mob mentality. It's funny how unaware of it they are, too.

Granted, the guy has not been good since his injury, but still.
thats kinda the key though isnt it? he hasnt been good, id say at times hes been borderline horrific, like he was for much of last year.

You know ive been very happy with the way he played earlier in the season, but his play has definitely regressed, and if thats the case, he needs to sit and have a wakeup call. and if his play doesnt come back, then he needs to sit permanently till the Rangers can find a solution to get him out of here.

With Staal playing phenomenal defensive hockey, with Girardi playing a very good 2-way game, with MDZ being superb offensively and OK defensively, you can live with whatever shortcomings they are having because 1) they are doing well in other aspects of the game, and 2)they are kids. With rozsival and redden, if they arent playing well in at least 1 aspect, offensively (Rozsival with only 9 points, Redden with 6), then they sure as hell better be strong in their own zone...Redden has not been, hes been soft as baby powder in his own zone, a complete lack of any physical play whatsoever. im not talking about running a player over, or punching their face in, im talking about being hard to play against, shoving people out of the crease, hitting the offensive players when they go to retrieve a puck. hes been about as soft as Gilroy has been in his own zone, and yes, Gilroy has been horribly soft in his own zone which is why i have no problem with the Rangers sending him down. Redden definitely needs a wakeup call, and if you cant see that bro, then you are just as blinded by the kool-aid as some people here are blinded by the hate. as usual the truth seems to lie somewhere in between the 2 extremes.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 03:38 PM
frankthefrowner

I think your all overreacting with the badness of Reddens play. Its been good, has it been 6.5 million dollars good, no but its been good none the less. Maybe its been 3million dollars good.

Regardless unless you can find someone to take his cap hit off our hands we need to make the most of him. Sending him to Hartford is not a realistic option. James Dolan in this economy is not going to eat 6.5 million dollars a year for the next 4 and a half years. Its not happening everyone needs to get that out of their heads. This is still a business folks. They were willing to do it with Kasper because it was a shorter period of time.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I think your all overreacting with the badness of Reddens play. Its been good, has it been 6.5 million dollars good, no but its been good none the less. Maybe its been 3million dollars good.

Regardless unless you can find someone to take his cap hit off our hands we need to make the most of him. Sending him to Hartford is not a realistic option. James Dolan in this economy is not going to eat 6.5 million dollars a year for the next 4 and a half years. Its not happening everyone needs to get that out of their heads. This is still a business folks. They were willing to do it with Kasper because it was a shorter period of time.
earlier in the season, prior to his injury, he was playing like a 3-4 million dollar defenseman...since coming back, hes been playing like a 750k-1.5 million dollar defenseman....its a fairly substantial drop off in play since coming back.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
earlier in the season, prior to his injury, he was playing like a 3-4 million dollar defenseman...since coming back, hes been playing like a 750k-1.5 million dollar defenseman....its a fairly substantial drop off in play since coming back.
To be brutally honest, Im not the kind of person that cares much about salaries during the season, so I think you trying to pinpoint different values on Redden's play throughout the year is kind of ridiculous. Salaries and their effect on the roster is something that will be addressed more in the offseason. During the year, it should be about on-ice performance.

Redden has been pretty bad since his injury in Florida. I dont mind one bit that Tortorella made an example of him (and lets not beat around the bush, he DID make an example out of him). I do mind that Tortorella is trying to say that Redden hasnt been playing well enough to be in the lineup. Thats ********. Because, from strictly a performance standpoint, even the regressed Redden is a better option than Heikkenen and Sanguinetti, who werent trusted to take anywhere near a regular shift on defense.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Please... Torts benched two of maybe 5 guys he could've.

People make it sound like Redden was forced to jump on the grenade.

He was just as bad as Rozi had been. It was a coin flip.

Screw him if he pissed. The guy that's widely known to be the worst signing in the league can't say crap about watching from the pressbox.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Cermi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Please... Torts benched two of maybe 5 guys he could've.

People make it sound like Redden was forced to jump on the grenade.

He was just as bad as Rozi had been. It was a coin flip.

Screw him if he pissed. The guy that's widely known to be the worst signing in the league can't say crap about watching from the pressbox.
Second worst, Drury's usually even worse than Redden.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You're joking right. Redden's game has regressed big time. People who constantly defend him can't see the forest through the trees. Redden sucks. He has been here for a year and a half and you can count the number of good games on one hand.
I'm not joking...his play has been solid this season (before his injury). Last year his play was a complete joke. Although his game was good towards the end of the season and into the playoffs under Torts, last season was not very good.

This season though...he's been steady. He will never live up to his contract though, that's for sure.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote