HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts not impressed by Reds,indicates changes on D looming

Old
12-21-2009, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Torts not impressed by Reds,indicates changes on D looming

Quote:
Wade Redden's last chance to make a positive impression on coach John Tortorella and thus avoid exile to the AHL Wolf Pack begins tonight in Raleigh.

Tortorella, who is reinserting Redden into the lineup for tonight's match against the Hurricanes after scratching the veteran defenseman the previous two games, will expect to see No. 6 bring the same emotion onto the ice as he brought into the coach's office Thursday morning at Nassau Coliseum, where he complained about being benched
Quote:
So Redden, who on Thursday made the ludicrous charge that he was being made, "an example," and was "singled out," upon learning he would be scratched, gets another chance to prove that he is an NHL player. He will be expected to show some life, to get involved, and to take the body.

It's a new beginning for Redden, who has four seasons following this one remaining on his six-year, $39M albatross of a contract that hangs around the Blueshirts' neck like a noose.

The responsibility is his and his alone to see to it that it is not the beginning of the end of his NHL season, if not career.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...FwXCKKbBmFUDQP

The Rangers foolishly gave Redden that stupid contract but it's the responsibility of the player to fulfill his end of the deal by playing well. Redden hasn't been the same player since the lockout. The forwards can't hold up the opposing forwards on the forecheck. He was brutal in the 2007 finals. As soon as Torts gave Redden more responsibility by playing him in more situations,Redden's game collapsed. Redden was never a physical player but he was strong positionally and had a great stick. He played the opposing forwards stick ala Nicklas Lidstrom. When the Rangers played TB in the Czech Republic last October,CBC covered the games. I was watching the Ottawa-Pittsburgh game on CBC and Mike Milbury was discussing the Rangers-TB game. Milbury is a buffoon but he was praising Redden's ability to make the simple plays ala Brad Park. In Ottawa,Redden contributed 40-50 points a season. He was injured in some of those seasons and still got his points. In New York,Redden has zero offensive game. He is terrible on the PP. He loses battles all over the ice. Soft play after soft play.

One last chance?

Last edited by RangerBoy: 12-23-2009 at 02:35 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Say it ain't so.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:27 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendandrevise View Post
Say it ain't so.

What, that he's getting another chance? You've got to be kidding. You didn't think he would play again? I'm thrilled with the news that they are actually considering sending him to Hartford. It could be lipservice, but this may be the turning point where they realize that getting rid of players is more efficient than signing more gigantic contracts.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Nah, I was celebrating that this is his "last chance" d00d. Of course I was aware he'd play again. When I read Redden and Hartford in the same sentence -- my heart skipped a beat lol.

Old
12-21-2009, 06:32 AM
alkurtz

The basic problem is that he can't play any better than he has. It's not a matter of conditioning, work ethic, or effort.

He has lost quickness as he as aged and quickness was his primary asset during his heyday. Combined with the overall league emphasis on speed since the lockout, it has created the perfect storm that has doomed his career.

Some defensemen, as they age and lose a step make the transition to playing a more physical and stay-at-home came. Redden has not done that and simply can't.

Even though I felt that the contract was a mistake and wish him gone, I do feel for the guy. He is being overwhelmed by events that are simply out of his control. Imagine what it is like to be him now? (yes, I know it is also easy to imagine him laughing all the way to the bank to collect his enormous paycheck).

Bottom line: he is what he is, he will not get better over the long term (he might play better situationally for a game or two) but will continue to get worse as he advances in age. The Rangers need to find some way to cut their loses with him or he will continue to be a burden on the team until his contract expires in the far future.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Kostik

Quote:
So Redden, who on Thursday made the ludicrous charge that he was being made, "an example," and was "singled out," upon learning he would be scratched,
This seems to be familiar...Malik soap opera ver2?

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:34 AM
eco's bones

To me Redden has been quite a bit better than last year. Having said that--he's been playing it as safe as possible and not getting very involved in the other teams end of the ice--which seems to go against the grain of Tortorella's philosophy of having his d-men up the ice keeping the pressure on--best expressed by his 'safe is death' thinking. While Redden's positional play has been good--he's not aggressive and he's not strong and he's not fast. I know some people hate the way of thinking that a player's value is inseparable from his contract but that's the way I see it. He's not worth what he's making and it hurts the team that a guy making as much as he is is not a real difference maker. If he winds up in Hartford because of that--so be it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Garfinkel1

This is the thing we need! Everyone pray Redden looks like a fool on the ice trying to contribute offensively! like the article said, it's his responsibility to fulfill his contract. U

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Redden needs to play angry... like this;

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:02 AM
pwoz

As much as I dislike Redden, he's been somewhat decent this season, while Rozsival has been absolutely atrocious... the only explanation is that Redden is 100% untradeable, but Rozsival MIGHT be at the deadline or during the draft.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
As much as I dislike Redden, he's been somewhat decent this season, while Rozsival has been absolutely atrocious... the only explanation is that Redden is 100% untradeable, but Rozsival MIGHT be at the deadline or during the draft.
I concur wholeheartedly about Redden being solid for the most part this season - I have no hate for him because of his cap hit or anything like a lot of people here, he is what he is and certainly, he's on the decline.

With that being said, the prospect of having approximately $11.5M in cap space cleared up (Redden and Rozsival) is the difference between potentially locking up an elite forward and a crease-clearing / shut down d-man and.... not... by next off-season.

I'm not the GM obviously, but that would be a priority - even if I had to play more rookies or less experience d-men.

Old
12-21-2009, 08:16 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I am shocked that its come to this for Redden, who has not played terrible this year. For the majority of the season he has been at the very least sound out there. In the beginning of the season he was playing pretty damn well. Now I am shocked that its come to this for Redden because I'm wondering why is it him before roszival?? Roszival has been by far the absolute worst defenseman on this team and has only played a few good games this year and those occurred in the last week or so. I just think this seems pretty unfair and stupid.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I "hate" to admit it but Rozsival has been good lately, pretty much.

Redden might be getting picked on a bit but he also played really really soft and lazy coming back from injury. And it wasn't things that a shoulder injury would cause him to play like...just boneheaded moves, losing the puck easily, etc.

I think Rozsival responded to the cut icetime and coaches having less trust in him and has upped his game...the Rangers want Redden to do the same now.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:24 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Sending Redden to Hartford would simply be a suicide for Sather. I don't say that would be a bad thing for the organisation, since I strongly believe it's time to turn the page on Sather, but I would wonder if the guy is not finally held accountable by someone above him on the chart. Could Sather be asked to clean his mess before to leave?

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:51 AM
beastly115

IMO, Redden has played better than Rozsival when you take the whole season into account.

That being said, I'd jump for joy if he was sent to Hartford although I think Rozsival is getting away like a bandit with this one.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:58 AM
92hatchattack

Personaly i hope Redden snaps back and plays great. He's not the same ***** Malik was, and he does not score goals against his own goalie either. Hope he's fired up and gets his game together.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:59 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
Sending Redden to Hartford would simply be a suicide for Sather. I don't say that would be a bad thing for the organisation, since I strongly believe it's time to turn the page on Sather, but I would wonder if the guy is not finally held accountable by someone above him on the chart. Could Sather be asked to clean his mess before to leave?
Honestly, I think he's walking dead as is. I just dont see a mid-year GM change as being beneficial. Who knows, maybe Reds picks it up and Sather can deal him in the offseason (yep, wishful thinking).

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

The Rangers foolishly gave Redden that stupid contract but it's the responsibility of the player to fulfill his end of the deal by playing well. Redden hasn't been the same player since the lockout. The forwards can't hold up the opposing forwards on the forecheck. He was brutal in the 2007 finals. As soon as Torts gave Redden more responsibility by playing him in more situations,Redden's game collapsed. Redden was never a physical player but he was strong positionally and had a great stick. He played the opposing forwards stick ala Nicklas Lidstrom. When the Rangers played TB in the Czech Republic last October,CBC covered the games. I was watching the Ottawa-Pittsburgh game on CBC and Mike Milbury was discussing the Rangers-TB game. Milbury is a buffoon but he was praising Redden's ability to make the simple plays ala Brad Park. In Ottawa,Redden contributed 40-50 points a season. He was injured in some of those seasons and still got his points. In New York,Redden has zero offensive game. He is terrible on the PP. He loses battles all over the ice. Soft play after soft play.

One last chance?
It wouldnt be your 20+ million dollars rotting in the minor leagues, so its a bit easier for you to try to present this as some sort of easy decision.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:07 AM
TheHMan

I can't feel sorry for Redden really. It's unfortunate that he's not the same player that he was, but it was clear well before he accepted that contract that he wasn't capable of living up to that pay grade.

I'd give him a pass for the contract that the Senators gave him, a bad turn of fate for him. However he went ahead and picked up the exact same contract with the Rangers after he was unable to live up to the expectations of his last deal.

He's a nice guy, but I can't feel any sympathy towards players who lock themselves into contracts that they clearly don't deserve. If he ends up in the AHL for the rest of his contract, then it's something he brought upon himself.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
IMO, Redden has played better than Rozsival when you take the whole season into account.

That being said, I'd jump for joy if he was sent to Hartford although I think Rozsival is getting away like a bandit with this one.
Rozsival has been playing outstanding hockey lately. Its a shame the bias is so strong that most people either cant see it, or just refuse to accept it.

Redden was playing quite well earlier in the season.

These guys are not given long leashes because of their contracts, and thats the way it should be.

Roszival, while not getting a healthy scratch did receive some benchings and reduced ice time (remember the debacle in Washington?) earlier in the season. He has responded.

Redden has been pretty bad since his return from injury. Now he needs to step it up.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:17 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Honestly, I think he's walking dead as is. I just dont see a mid-year GM change as being beneficial. Who knows, maybe Reds picks it up and Sather can deal him in the offseason (yep, wishful thinking).
That wouldn't necessarily imply Sather is gone after that only transaction. Sather could be just preparing his succession, and his successor in case this is Messier. That won't be done in one day.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:53 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
I really do think that Redden will come out and play amazing his next few games, just for the sake of staying out of Hartford.

I really hope he ***** the bed though, losing his contract would be incredible.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

You can fix effort and you can fix intensity, but you can't fix speed. This better not be lip service, because he ain't getting any better, and the best move for the team is to exile him.

What's amusing to me is that even if I'm wrong, even if he can become a better player, what would it say about him and his dedication to the team if this is what it has to come to for him to get his **** together?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:00 AM
ret513

I give Torts credit here. This is something Renny needed to do.

What can any coach/system do with aging vets that are paid alot of money. There's nothing left for them to battle for, cause they already won the ultimate salary and contract.

Benching Rozi, Drury on 4th line has shown results. Now Redden has to put out.

Still dont think they're gd enough for this so called "system", but it's gd to hear that Torts has talked to Sather about this crap on ice. I feel sorry for the rookies that have to look for these vets for advice and guidence.

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:10 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
I can't feel sorry for Redden really. It's unfortunate that he's not the same player that he was, but it was clear well before he accepted that contract that he wasn't capable of living up to that pay grade.

I'd give him a pass for the contract that the Senators gave him, a bad turn of fate for him. However he went ahead and picked up the exact same contract with the Rangers after he was unable to live up to the expectations of his last deal.

He's a nice guy, but I can't feel any sympathy towards players who lock themselves into contracts that they clearly don't deserve. If he ends up in the AHL for the rest of his contract, then it's something he brought upon himself.
This might be the most intellectually dishonest post I've ever seen.

You're blaming a human being for accepting the pay offered to him under the existing system. Let me know if you or anyone else you know ever goes to your boss and asks for a pay cut because you haven't done that great a job.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote