HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts not impressed by Reds,indicates changes on D looming

Old
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ret513 View Post
I feel sorry for the rookies that have to look for these vets for advice and guidence.
That's what worries me about demoting him to Hartford. Rissmiller proved that you can only tolerate a poisonous attitude for so long. Using the 'Pack as dumping ground for the disgruntled and underachieving flies in the face of using it as a development tool for your prospects.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I don't think Redden has enough left to make anyone happy on a consistent basis. The guy looks shot.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
That's what worries me about demoting him to Hartford. Rissmiller proved that you can only tolerate a poisonous attitude for so long. Using the 'Pack as dumping ground for the disgruntled and underachieving flies in the face of using it as a development tool for your prospects.
It might a good example to the young defensemen of what not to do.
The coaches can say "See what Wade's doing?, do the opposite"

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:29 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Carp echoes what Brooksie wrote.

Quote:
That’s what tonight’s game is. About Wade. It’s all about Wade Redden, because this is the first game of the rest of his Rangers career. And that career could be a long time.

The question is, does the Rangers front office and coaching staff have the onions to actually banish him to Hartford if he doesn’t get his stuff together? The contract isn’t going away, and it sure isn’t move-able. But the player can be sent up the road and down to the minors and forgotten by all but those who have to sign those mega checks for the next four and a half years.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/12/21/about-wade/

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You can fix effort and you can fix intensity, but you can't fix speed. This better not be lip service, because he ain't getting any better, and the best move for the team is to exile him.

What's amusing to me is that even if I'm wrong, even if he can become a better player, what would it say about him and his dedication to the team if this is what it has to come to for him to get his **** together?
Thats really the crux of the issue. Wade Redden has to be the slowest "puck-moving" defenseman in the National Hockey League. Thats not getting any better.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:38 AM
TheyareGonnaGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Fair concern but what are we supposed to do with him for the next 4+ years?

I agree with Brooks but it seems like pure speculation on his part. When did Torts actually say Redden he has one more chance? I'll believe it when I see it.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Salz

I have a question about Redden's contract. If he were to go down and then not claimed by anyone on re-entry waivers, what would happen to him?

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
kennglin13

Is agreeing on a buyout different than waiving a player capwise?

Wasn't Prospal bought out coming into this year

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I have a question about Redden's contract. If he were to go down and then not claimed by anyone on re-entry waivers, what would happen to him?
We would be stuck with him at the same salary. It only helps us if someone takes him (then we'd be stuck with 1/2 his salary). Either way, a permanent demotion would be better than re-entry waivers IMHO.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:46 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
Is agreeing on a buyout different than waiving a player capwise?

Wasn't Prospal bought out coming into this year
TB still has a nearly 1.2 million cap hit for the next 3-4 years for Prospal.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Salz

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
We would be stuck with him at the same salary. It only helps us if someone takes him (then we'd be stuck with 1/2 his salary). Either way, a permanent demotion would be better than re-entry waivers IMHO.
That's what I thought. Would anyone take Redden at 3 mil? He's arguably a 3 mil player at his best.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Salz

3 mil cap hit would be painful, but we could do something decent with the other 3 mil we'd be saving. I'd prefer him just rotting away in the AHL, but I feel like four years is a long time to send someone there. At some point they'd be tempted to promote him again so they could get a return on the money the Dolans are paying.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Does the salary of theplayer who is sent to the minors and stays there count towards the cap? I believe if said player is recalled and claimed on re-call waivers 1/2 of his salary counts towards the cap.

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:54 AM
bumrusherer

This might work if Redden was a super talented player who had a mark against his name for never realizing his world class ability.

But in reality, he is an average player who will continue to play average because that is what he is and will be for quite a while now.

Shame really because he seems like a nice guy and appears to always give good effort. But smother crap in gold and it is still crap.....just a little bit more shiny.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyareGonnaGO View Post
Fair concern but what are we supposed to do with him for the next 4+ years?
Hope to god he does what Tortorella wants. Failing that, hope for that amnesty buyout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
He'd be back with the Rangers. I guarantee someone takes a stab at Redden @ $3.25, while sticking Sather for the same amount at the same time though.

Old
12-21-2009, 12:00 PM
HockeyBurd*

Redden is in a no win situation. He simply doesn't have what is being asked of him. The best he can do is play decent. And he can't do that if he has to do the other things that Torts apparently wants from him.

They want him to play like he used to play or to evolve and play just as well in some other capacity. And it's completely outlandish. Redden has enough left to be a solid 3rd pairing defenceman. He can step up to the top four on a team like this if need be if you don't ask him to do anything exceptional and live with him not making any impact plays and accept the occasional breakdowns. I just keep wondering more and more if Tortorella knows what he wants form his own players. When he says he does things on "gut instincts"... he really really does a lot of things on gut instincts.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Levitate

I don't think Tortorella expects Redden to play like an all-star...he just wants him to not suck like he has recently

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:21 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
It wouldnt be your 20+ million dollars rotting in the minor leagues, so its a bit easier for you to try to present this as some sort of easy decision.
Ever hear of the Knicks? 20 million is pocket change to Dolan.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

The thing that worries me more is that even if theoretically (best case scenario) he gets sent to Hartford to rot, how the hell do you fit a 6.5mil cap hit on a 10mil capped AHL team? He has a one-way contract.

Unless you can shift salary around in the AHL, I've heard people who pay attention to the Wolf Pack in detail (I unfortunately do not) say you can't just dump all your trash on Hartford because eventually that landfill reaches capacity.

Man, I hope we get an amnesty buyout at the end of this season. Though I thought we'd use it on Drury instead of Reds honestly.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
The thing that worries me more is that even if theoretically (best case scenario) he gets sent to Hartford to rot, how the hell do you fit a 6.5mil cap hit on a 10mil capped AHL team? He has a one-way contract.

Unless you can shift salary around in the AHL, I've heard people who pay attention to the Wolf Pack in detail (I unfortunately do not) say you can't just dump all your trash on Hartford because eventually that landfill reaches capacity.

Man, I hope we get an amnesty buyout at the end of this season. Though I thought we'd use it on Drury instead of Reds honestly.
It wouldnt count against Hartford's cap as far as I know.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Vitto79

Redden is not worth 6.5 but I would be t at half the price someone would take a chance on the guy

it's not fair to banish him to the AHL cause he is a NHL talent obviously just not worth the stupid contract

I have a feeling the team is going to have to operate Minus 3.25 on the cap very soon. Only good thing is they have a few yrs before the DZ, Sangs, Gilroy,etc will have to get a raise.

That would leave only one problem child in Rozy but that contract may be tradeable and he is gone in 2 yrs anyway

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

If McDonagh is ready next year, I think the right move is buying Redden out. Essentially, you'd save $2.5 million or so. Yes, you've got $3.25 million in dead cap space. But, you at least have space for a raise for Staal.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I have a feeling the team is going to have to operate Minus 3.25 on the cap very soon.
No matter what you think about Redden, I just don't see how that improves that team. You can't even argue that the defense is worse, and all you've got to show for it is enough cap space to sign a Kotalik level player.

Old
12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If McDonagh is ready next year, I think the right move is buying Redden out. Essentially, you'd save $2.5 million or so. Yes, you've got $3.25 million in dead cap space. But, you at least have space for a raise for Staal.
WADE REDDEN BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,916,667
2011-2012: $1,916,667
2012-2013: $3,416,667
2013-2014: $3,416,667
2014-2015: $1,916,667
2015-2016: $1,916,667
2016-2017: $1,916,667
2017-2018: $1,916,667

Old
12-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
This might work if Redden was a super talented player who had a mark against his name for never realizing his world class ability.

But in reality, he is an average player who will continue to play average because that is what he is and will be for quite a while now.

Shame really because he seems like a nice guy and appears to always give good effort. But smother crap in gold and it is still crap.....just a little bit more shiny.
Yep.

And all this has been doing is taking focus off the guy PAID to sign players who perform and the coach who is PAID to get these players playing their best.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote