HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First time playing hockey(Inline) I need some help!

Old
12-07-2009, 10:36 AM
v1c70r

vCash: 500
First time playing hockey(Inline) I need some help!

Well, long story short i really wasnt a hockey fan but now I cant get enough( Im 16)

My sisters fiance has always played inline hockey and in leagues with some friends and this year I decided to join them. Its a mens league and the average age of my team is 25-26 while im 16 but i have enough size and strength to keep up. I got some equipment off craigslist and started skating for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I am a very quick learner and have gotten decent but really lack all of the essentials

Skating fast, Backwards, Crossovers, Shooting fast and accurate, And puck handling while skating

I had my first game yesterday and I did not even get to take 1 shot. It was kind of a deer in headlights. I touched the puck maybe 5 times. I wasnt getting in the passing lanes and wasnt set u to score at all.

The real question i guess is: Can anyone teach me or pint me in the direction of learning how to play hockey and understand hockey completely? Strategies too

I watch hockey games now but really cant understand how to play like that.

v1c70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
End of Line
Human After All

You just have to practice, to get better.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Devil Dancer

Skate as much as possible as often as possible. The stick work stuff is important later, but for now concentrate on your skating. Skate everywhere all the time. If you skate consistently a lot of it will come to you naturally.

If you can find cheap group lessons somewhere, sign up.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1c70r View Post
Well, long story short i really wasnt a hockey fan but now I cant get enough( Im 16)

My sisters fiance has always played inline hockey and in leagues with some friends and this year I decided to join them. Its a mens league and the average age of my team is 25-26 while im 16 but i have enough size and strength to keep up. I got some equipment off craigslist and started skating for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I am a very quick learner and have gotten decent but really lack all of the essentials

Skating fast, Backwards, Crossovers, Shooting fast and accurate, And puck handling while skating

I had my first game yesterday and I did not even get to take 1 shot. It was kind of a deer in headlights. I touched the puck maybe 5 times. I wasnt getting in the passing lanes and wasnt set u to score at all.

The real question i guess is: Can anyone teach me or pint me in the direction of learning how to play hockey and understand hockey completely? Strategies too

I watch hockey games now but really cant understand how to play like that.

Referring to the bolded. I'm 18 and I'm 6'1 245 and I'm not the fastest out there, but I'm most effective in front of the net when I play. You just have to skate as much as you can, and the your shot will get better over time.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
jbennardo

To echo what everyone else has told you... play more. And, watch other players. I consider myself a student of the game - almost to the point of not enjoying watching an NHL game sometimes. I watch how they skate, shoot and pass and where they position themselves on the ice.

I also learn from the more experienced/skilled players that I play with. But just keep at it and good luck!

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote