HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Agents take care of the high end players-time for low-middle end players to speak up

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2004, 08:35 AM
  #1
eye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the 49th para
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Agents take care of the high end players-time for low-middle end players to speak up

Since agents can make 3-6% of a players salary plus I believe up to 25% of endorsements who do you think the agents are sticking behind in this war?

High end players not only provide agents with most of their income but also dominate the very lucrative endorsement deals so where does that leave representation of the little guy in all of this.

Speak up you guys. Call your agents, email Bob, do whatever it takes to get him to buy into cost certainty - revenue sharing - guaranteed contracts at 1.3 mill avg. while it lasts. A new NHL next year won't be nearly as kind to you. Over 80% of the fans are behind you to make this call.

eye is offline  
Old
12-27-2004, 09:24 AM
  #2
Schlep Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Since most of the big name players are handled by 10-20 agents and the other 120+ NHLPA registered agents have the "middle of the road" guys, this is pointless.

Why are almost all of your CBA posts centered around agents?

Schlep Rock is offline  
Old
12-27-2004, 09:24 AM
  #3
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
The low-middle end guys will be the ones that suffer most from a hard salary cap.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-27-2004, 10:10 AM
  #4
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The low-middle end guys will be the ones that suffer most from a hard salary cap.

And so they should..........Can anyone really justify Martin Lapointe making 5 million a year?

The high-end talent are't the only salaries that are out-of-wack, You have 3rd line muckers making 2+ million a year in the NHL......Think about this Adam Vinatieri pretty much single handly won two super bowls by himself and makes 2.1 in the NFL where TV deals, merchandising, and money is unlimited.


In the NHL you have guys like Martin Straka, Roman Turek, Patrice Brisebois, Vicent Damphouse making 4+ million. That is crazy

JimEIV is online now  
Old
12-27-2004, 10:13 AM
  #5
K215215
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
Since agents can make 3-6% of a players salary plus I believe up to 25% of endorsements who do you think the agents are sticking behind in this war?

High end players not only provide agents with most of their income but also dominate the very lucrative endorsement deals so where does that leave representation of the little guy in all of this.

Speak up you guys. Call your agents, email Bob, do whatever it takes to get him to buy into cost certainty - revenue sharing - guaranteed contracts at 1.3 mill avg. while it lasts. A new NHL next year won't be nearly as kind to you. Over 80% of the fans are behind you to make this call.
Hockey players make little to nothing in endorsements. High end guys like Naslund dont get more than a couple hundred thousand a year max doing endorsements. Nice try though.

K215215 is offline  
Old
12-27-2004, 10:42 AM
  #6
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
And so they should..........Can anyone really justify Martin Lapointe making 5 million a year?
Apparently Jacobs, Sinden and O'Connel could.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-27-2004, 11:23 AM
  #7
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Apparently Jacobs, Sinden and O'Connel could.

And so we sit without hockey

JimEIV is online now  
Old
12-27-2004, 12:18 PM
  #8
eye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the 49th para
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by K215215
Hockey players make little to nothing in endorsements. High end guys like Naslund dont get more than a couple hundred thousand a year max doing endorsements. Nice try though.
Many hockey players make big money on endorsements. Many of them may be hidden to the average viewer or to small market clubs but the big name players make plenty of endorsement money and their agents benefit from that.

eye is offline  
Old
12-27-2004, 12:22 PM
  #9
eye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the 49th para
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlep Rock
Since most of the big name players are handled by 10-20 agents and the other 120+ NHLPA registered agents have the "middle of the road" guys, this is pointless.

Why are almost all of your CBA posts centered around agents?
Those 10-20 agents you refer to represent the biggest agencies in the business and they have alot of pull and alot at stake. They will stick with their higher priced group vs. the interests of the minority otherwise you will see some or maybe many agents go out of business. That's why they remain so quiet and came out of Bpb's meeting in total support. Bob read them the facts of life.

BTW, this is only my 2nd thread on agents. I see them as the key to getting this thing back on track but Bob has a muzzle on them and the only way it comes off is if players speak up against them.

eye is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.