HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staios to the East

Old
12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Dansolo

vCash: 500
Staios to the East

After those blocks in this game and even last years game you would think that somebody in the east and especially teams in the Southeast would love to put ol' Steady against Ovie just for the blocked shots. If i was Tampa I'm sure just by seeing that 5-3 they would forget about the Steve's cap hit for next year.

Dansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Giant Moo

The East? How about the East River?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Dansolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
The East? How about the East River?
That was actually going to be my next proposal.

Dansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Bank Shot

Staios has been ok this season.

This team needs less gamblers on the back end. One of the the fancy dan foursome needs to get traded for someone solid defensively.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:57 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Staios is what Staios is, and I believe he still has value. But at this stage for the Oilers he is a diminishing return.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:02 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Forget about moving Staios move Visnovsky and do a damn rebuild.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:14 AM
alexo

If we move Staios, the Oil better be looking for a stay-at-home d-man. Now, I'm no delusional fan here. I know Staios isn't what he once was. But this team has too many guys that only play good in the one end of the rink. We need the Staios-types. If they trade him, I'm just saying they need a replacement (in another deal, or whatever) or our goalies are going to get red-light burn on the backs of their necks far worse than they already have.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:20 AM
mpah

keep him in the west - so when we play him, we can take advantage of his BRUTAL defensive play

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Like someone said above, Staios has been ok this season, so no worries.

Lets get one of Gilbert, Grebs or Souray out of here for someone who plays a Smid like game. Simply and solid defensively.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:32 AM
alexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Like someone said above, Staios has been ok this season, so no worries.

Lets get one of Gilbert, Grebs or Souray out of here for someone who plays a Smid like game. Simply and solid defensively.
I agree with this.

Either that, or someone that hits like a freight train and scares anyone carrying the puck over our blueline.

Old
12-20-2009, 02:43 AM
robbiezyg

I think we need to keep a guy like Staios around.. he's a decent third pairing guy.. he makes too much but we need more guys that will block shots like he does. I do believe that one of the wonder twins should go though.. preferably for a top 6 forward with size.

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:21 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Leafs would gladly give you Finger for Staios.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:38 AM
tornado88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
How about Staios for Ian White??

tornado88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:43 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post

How about Staios and Gagner for Luke Schenn and Ian White.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 07:24 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
I think we need to keep a guy like Staios around.. he's a decent third pairing guy.. he makes too much but we need more guys that will block shots like he does.
This is the truth . Staios is one guy I wouldn't mind see retire an Oiler . Only one year left on his deal unless I'm mistaken . He gets beat more often than he used to , but you will never ever see Steve Staios bail out on a play to save himself like I see Gilbert and Grebs and Vish do virtually every game .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Tekneek

His numbers in the past few games have a lot more to do with Grebeshkov. That guy has been brutal since his return.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:52 PM
misfit

If we wan't cap relief, then moving Staios and his $2.7M cap hit next year is a smart place to start. Especially considering he's currently playing on the 3rd pairing and isn't an important part of this team's future.

Washington would actually be a good place for him. He could help them out this year, and replace Pothier who's a UFA after this year (so are Morrisonn, Jurinca, and Sloan)

Boston might be an ok fit as well. He'd be a good addition for their playoff push, and they only have 3 Dmen under contract next year.

Carolina has 6 defencemen reaching UFA status next year, and they've always leaned toward a vetran defense core. Of course, I don't see them being buyers at the deadline (or any other time throughout this season).

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
I have no problem moving Staios, but there isn't anyone to replace him on this team. If he is moved they better be prepared to be missing what he brings.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I have no problem moving Staios, but there isn't anyone to replace him on this team. If he is moved they better be prepared to be missing what he brings.
If they didn't believe it about Stoll and Reasoner (Horcoff and Brodziak's production practically vanished), then chances are, they aren't going to believe it about Staios either.

I'm actually in favour of moving Staios, but what I don't think people don't realise is how he's used in almost a primarily unfavorable position which results in him looking worse than he probably is. Once he's gone, someone else is going to be given the role of starting whenever the other team's top offensive players are on the ice with the puck in our end. And few players can play that role almost exclusively and still look good. I think they'll need to bring someone else in who can handle the minutes, but I'd like to think it can be done for less than $2.7M a year.

Old
12-21-2009, 03:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
If they didn't believe it about Stoll and Reasoner (Horcoff and Brodziak's production practically vanished), then chances are, they aren't going to believe it about Staios either.

I'm actually in favour of moving Staios, but what I don't think people don't realise is how he's used in almost a primarily unfavorable position which results in him looking worse than he probably is. Once he's gone, someone else is going to be given the role of starting whenever the other team's top offensive players are on the ice with the puck in our end. And few players can play that role almost exclusively and still look good. I think they'll need to bring someone else in who can handle the minutes, but I'd like to think it can be done for less than $2.7M a year.
Have to agree. I still say they need to go to the three defensive d-men and three offensive d-men system.

The problem with this team is they have too many offensive forwards, which isn't a problem if you have defensive forwards to back them up.

The other problem is we have too many offensive d-men, which isn't a problem if you have forwards that come back and help out.

It's not exactly rocket science to why this team is as good as they are. We need to to pick one style and go with it.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:55 PM
alexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Good points. I'll start it off by saying I'm a BIG fan of Staios. The work ethic is always there.. more so probably than anyone on the team. He does see the hard minutes too. I know he will have to be replaced, if he's traded. However, you're right.. he can be replaced at a cheaper price tag.

I just hope the guy upstairs doesn't do what was done with Stoll/Reasoner (as you pointed out). That would be pretty moronic.

Old
12-21-2009, 10:26 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
Good points. I'll start it off by saying I'm a BIG fan of Staios. The work ethic is always there.. more so probably than anyone on the team. He does see the hard minutes too. I know he will have to be replaced, if he's traded. However, you're right.. he can be replaced at a cheaper price tag.

I just hope the guy upstairs doesn't do what was done with Stoll/Reasoner (as you pointed out). That would be pretty moronic.
He already has. He's had all of last year, and entire offseason, and 31 games of this season, and he's shown no signs of attempting to fill the hole left by those two players. He hasn't even shown that he recognizes it as a problem.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM
tiger_80

1. Staios can be moved.
2. Staios won't return much.
3. Whether Staios is moved or he remains an Oiler will not make any difference to this club's fortunes.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Hemsky4PM

I would not be shocked at all if Staios asked to be moved at the deadline. Buffalo would be a great spot for him.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote