HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Carter or Boyes?

View Poll Results: Kovy, Vinny, Carter, or Boyes?
Kovalchuk 37pts in 29 games 38 27.94%
Lecavalier 33pts in 36 games 30 22.06%
Carter 27pts in 35 games 55 40.44%
Boyes 24pts in 35 games 13 9.56%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-22-2009, 08:56 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Carter or Boyes?

Okay so rumors are going nuts between Kovalchuk, Vinny, Carter, and St.Louis.

Kovalchuk would cost you an arm, a leg, a kidney, and your middle fingers, so forget driving in Montreal Traffic.

Hossa = Holy Hell Pittsburgh
Kovalchuk = A crap load from us including picks.

Vinny= Not so much because of his contract, and he wants out.

Carter = Alot more than Halak, but Philly gets cap relief and presumably a #1 Goalie from us.

Boyes I threw in there because St.Louis isn't doing well, and I don't think its outlandish to suggest a shake up there would be welcomed.

Keep in mind each player does help our team more than the other, but also remember the price that we would have to give for them.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Jeff Carter or Boyes

Lecavalier unless Gomez goes the other way will not happen

Kovalchuk like I said yesterday would take this guy right after the Crosby and Ovechkin but at 11 million a year,he would ruin our cap for many years,no way that happens.

We have 2 good centermans and 1 of them needs a scorer,(realistic cap wise)so Carter or Boyes for me

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It's a pretty tough poll to answer because we don't know the cost of making a deal...and that's assuming all those players are available now. A guy like Kovalchuk could be available in a month or so, but for now Atlanta might want to hand on to him to make a run at the playoffs, so it may take Markov and Price to pry him loose, but in 5-6 weeks maybe Subban Kristo and Carle does it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's a pretty tough poll to answer because we don't know the cost of making a deal...and that's assuming all those players are available now. A guy like Kovalchuk could be available in a month or so, but for now Atlanta might want to hand on to him to make a run at the playoffs, so it may take Markov and Price to pry him loose, but in 5-6 weeks maybe Subban Kristo and Carle does it.
With Lehtonen and Pavelec as future goalies in the system,I doubt the Trashers are interested in a goalie

I think it would take a package of a solid player,2 good young players Patches+Subban and a 1st round pick witch is way too much for a guy who will simply walk and sign anywhere he wants next summer

Old
12-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Tuggy

Gomez prevents anything like this from happening. If I had to choose then I would pick Carter (just because Kovalchuk as a rental doesn't make much sense for us).

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
mcphee

Boyes wouldn't go anywhere, the Blues can't score, they can't give up goals.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
LouisJCloutier

I don't care about salary cap. I want Kovalchuck.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Gionta - Gomez - Kovalchuck

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
I don't care about salary cap. I want Kovalchuck.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Gionta - Gomez - Kovalchuck

1st line 14 million
2nd line 23.5 million

total of 37.5 million on the top 2 lines

include Markov,Hamrlik,Price and his raise....ain't gonna happen

Old
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
As a pending UFA, Kovy wouldn't even fetch one of Markov or Price, unless he comes with a signed contract. Columbus's GM in the JDM yesterday was saying how the NHL is a no-trade league now, because everybody wants to get rid of contracts of underperforming players.

And if Kovy doesn't want to sign back, Waddel is stuck for another round of Hossa dealings with other GMs and will end-up getting 3-4 pieces, but nothing close to Markov or Price, unless he gets really lucky, because we're already at half point of the season. Poor Waddel.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Le CH

I picked Carter but at this point we are gonna be lucky to sign Pleks and Price next year given our CAP, so I'm not sure any of these trades are realistic unless something pretty big goes the other way. And I highly doubt any team would take Gomez - thats pure wishful thinking. If we trade Pleks for Carter... are we really better off?

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I went with Carter as the player I'd like to have the most. It won't happen, though.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Voted for Carter, but I don't think it's feasible, althought I wonder what player we could fetch from St-Louis, Boyes, Backes, Perron, Berglund ? Alot of interesting picks... I'd really like Backes.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:30 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

None of the above: Patrick Sharp, Scott Hartnell or David Perron

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstastic View Post
I picked Carter but at this point we are gonna be lucky to sign Pleks and Price next year given our CAP, so I'm not sure any of these trades are realistic unless something pretty big goes the other way. And I highly doubt any team would take Gomez - thats pure wishful thinking. If we trade Pleks for Carter... are we really better off?
That's a common belief, but doesn't mean its true.

Price is making 850K (the rest is just rookie bonus), and luckily for us, young goalies are inconsistent and can't ask much as RFAs. So we could keep Price at close to his present cap hit (with bonus included = 2,2 mil). The small raise in cap hit will easily be compensated by a guy like Mara being replaced by a rookie who will make 1 mil less than Mara. Then if we can sign Plex close or under 5 mil of cap hit, then you're looking at adding 2,25 mil to the cap. That's nothing to be worked-up about and can easily be overcomed by a Laraque on waivers and a very small jump of the league wide cap (about 2%). Other easy fixes could be done to overcome the gap and many solutions can be looked at to keep them both. Its not like those players don't have a cap hit on the books with us. You only have to account for the raise, and its nothing alarming.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
None of the above: Patrick Sharp, Scott Hartnell or David Perron
Well, Chicago seem to be out of the picture with Huet playing better, Philadelphia, according to rumors isn't interested either (although things can change fast, now with Boucher hurt), but Perron would be great... and Brunet would giggle like a lil girl if that happened...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:36 AM
romain_jaime

Honestly, if you can make a sign & trade deal for Kovalchuk you have to make it happen.. The Canadiens have not had a 50 goal scorer since Stephane Richer!!!

Kovalchuk, in my opinion is the #2 sniper in the NHL behind Ovechkin.. if we can unload Gomez's contract signing Kovalchuk for a 10 yr would not be so bad..

Sell the farm if you need! Something crazy like:

Gomez, O' Byrne, 2x 1st rounders, 2nd rounder in 2011, plus Kristo & Louis Leblanc

for

Kovalchuk & Armstrong

romain_jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
habsrock76

Just do the math, we have no cap space to take on any of these players, wishful thinking at best.

The only way to get Carter is if we send AK + Halak + (approx 1 mill player). Both teams are right up against the cap so the same money has to go both ways.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
With Lehtonen and Pavelec as future goalies in the system,I doubt the Trashers are interested in a goalie

I think it would take a package of a solid player,2 good young players Patches+Subban and a 1st round pick witch is way too much for a guy who will simply walk and sign anywhere he wants next summer
Lehtonen's future with the Thrashers is as murky as his health. Ondrej Pavelec looks like a real keeper though. We'll see in time if he finds consistency.

BLNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
onsider

Habs can't take the war road with their current 2 offensive center. Too small on the middle, outplayed against big centering opposition. Lack of strength. You got to make a choice, who do you keep, Plekc or Gomez ?

I would talk with TBL, they are sinking, they need help in goal and not sure how they are feeling about paying that kind of money for that long for their now second center, not to mention star. They will save a lot of money on mid long term and still get offensive weapon in return with Scotty Gomez on their roster.

I would offer this:

Gomez + Halak + D'Agostini/Lapierre + (first pick?) or 2nd?
for
Lecavalier + Nitty

Then you cross your finger for Pouliot to fill the LW offensive spot remaining. If it's not the plan, so you got to trade again for an offensive LW.

Cammalleri-Plekc-AK
Pouliot-Lecavalier-Gionta

onsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsider View Post
Habs can't take the war road with their current 2 offensive center. Too small on the middle, outplayed against big centering opposition. Lack of strength. You got to make a choice, who do you keep, Plekc or Gomez ?

I would talk with TBL, they are sinking, they need help in goal and not sure how they are feeling about paying that kind of money for that long for their now second center, not to mention star. They will save a lot of money on mid long term and still get offensive weapon in return with Scotty Gomez on their roster.

I would offer this:

Gomez + Halak + D'Agostini/Lapierre + (first pick?) or 2nd?
for
Lecavalier + Nitty

Then you cross your finger for Pouliot to fill the LW offensive spot remaining. If it's not the plan, so you got to trade again for an offensive LW.

Cammalleri-Plekc-AK
Pouliot-Lecavalier-Gionta
I really, really wish people would ****** forget about Lecavalier... that would be as bad, if not worse, than the Gomez trade CAP-wise!!! ****, what is wrong with some of you!!!

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
As much as I'd love to have Kovalchuk in the uniform I think it's too unrealistic. We're stuck with Gomez, but if we could trade him, we'd need a center to play with Kovalchuk.

Carter IS realistic. His cap hit is manageable. If you keep him as a winger and hope to sign Pleks too, you can still do it, but you need to move some salary out.

The logical place to shed is the blue line. Hamrlik, given that he's got a year left on his deal after this season, would be attractive to some. He's expensive, but it's only a year. He can log a lot of minutes, but if you've got depth he can instantly become one of the best second pair guys in the league given his experience and steady play.

If you decide Carter is your future center in place of Pleks, then you need to decide whether or not you make a run with what you have, or trade him. His value will NEVER be higher than it is. Stock up on picks, or prospects.

BLNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:10 AM
onsider

Quote:
I really, really wish people would ****** forget about Lecavalier... that would be as bad, if not worse, than the Gomez trade CAP-wise!!! ****, what is wrong with some of you!!!
For a organisation point of view, Lecavalier in Mtl is a gold mine. Whatever is salary is, he will bring back 5++ times more in direct revenue. Lecavalier will also bring more wins for the team, an a monster impact for at least the seven next years.

onsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If Gomer is leaving us, then Lecavalier, since I don't think we could resign Kovalchuk. However, Lecavalier to the cap is worse than Gomez.

Boyes would help secondary scoring.

Carter would be nice and he'd still be RFA after his contract is up, so we would have a chance to be able to keep him, or at least get players and/or picks back for him.

Kovalchuk would be awesome. Him and Cams along with AK sniping the **** out of goalies. Put those 3 and Marky with Bergy on the pp and they can all put the puck in from where ever they choose. 5 on 3 would be an automatic goal.

However, we won't get any.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Guy Germaine

Kovalchuk- Would have to give up way too much high end content (Subban/1st/Price) for a rental player. I think Wadell learned his lesson about taking quantity over quality in the Hossa deal.

Boyes- for a draft pick, sure.

Carter-If , and that's a massive IF, the rumors about Carter and Hartnell's wife are true then I don't want a player with that kind of character around this team.
Hartnell is more of what the Habs need anyway, sandpaper and size up front. Would compliment Gionta and Gomez beautifully.

Lecavalier- I'd take him over Gomez in a heartbeat. I'd probably even throw in a high end prospect and draft pick to get rid of him.But I don't think Vinny wants to be in Montreal anyway. So F him, and F the TB Lighting.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Lecavalier is better than Gomez ? And if we're going to deal in overpaid pieces of crap, I'd rather have the local guy.

Gomez has never really shown he was worth that much money. Lecavalier has shown he was.

Wtf is wrong with you ?

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote