HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

12/21/2009 YOUR SAN JOSE SHARKS @ (>) dallas stars. 8:30pmEST/5:30pmPST

Old
12-22-2009, 01:36 AM
jgood

vCash: 500
3rd time this season losing a snog by tiebreaker.

jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:05 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Just came back from the game. It was fun for our first ever Sharks road game:

1.) It's been a crazy tumultuous year with the layoff and having to move away from my home area of the Bay area and all that, so the goals for the Sharks felt REALLY good. Almost playoff good. The last goal I couldn't contain my laughter and laughed REALLY loudly. My wife felt bad for the Stars and their fans at that point. I didn't.

2.) The game felt like an opposite of a Sharks home stinker (you know, Sharks home game with tons of shots but not enough goals and the other team makes their shots count). So I guess it was a Stars home stinker goal-wise and I'll take it.

3.) The Sharks had ZERO power-plays. Really sucked to have attended or even watched a game with no Sharks power plays. Stars did take one penalty, but it was a matching minor. I think the refs were missing a few calls against the Sharks.

4.) That said, the Sharks didn't play all that great.

5.) AA Center is gorgeous. It's what, six years old but feels like its brand new. We were impressed.

6.) Stars fans have NO hockey etiquette whatsoever. They don't seem to understand to not leave your seat during play. They also lean like crazy and stand up during play and nobody says anything.

7.) My wife thought the Ice Girls were tacky, but I didn't mind. lol What you probably don't see is that the Ice Girls have a cheerleader group above lower bowl above the goal where the sharks attacked twice that were in skimpier outfits and just do simple dance routines. What was funny was that the Dallas players were more into it than the Sharks. You'd think the Stars players would be used to it and block it out and hope their opponents get distracted.

8.) The fans there cheering twice during the National Anthem was just as disrespectful as Sharks fans who boo twice during the National Anthem at Sharks/Stars games at HP.

9.) Stars fans simply aren't as loud as Sharks fans. They have to play their cheers/music over the PA really loud to make it seem like the crowd noise is louder than it actually is.

10.) Stars pre-game stuff is lame. They don't even announce the Sharks lineup the way HP at least announces the opposing teams starting lineup. They just show it on the screen 10 seconds before the National Anthem.

11.) During warm ups, a fellow Sharks fan approached us and introduced himself as the organizer of a Dallas area Sharks fan group, DFW Sharks. We were jacked because I've been looking for such a thing but couldn't find one, like on meetup.com or something. They are talking having the group buy tickets to sit together for a Sharks/Stars in March. I really hope they organize playoff viewing parties at bars and stuff because I don't comfortable going to a sports bar in the Dallas area and asking them to put on a Sharks game so that would be nice. I have NHL Center Ice but a playoff party with fellow fans would be great.

All in all, a great night!

Thats awesome Chomp. My mom who moved to OKC last year actually goes down to the Stars v Sharks games when they hit a weekend. Its hard for them to take a day off (3 hour drive) to swing down there but she pretty much echo's your feelings about the place.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:41 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
When/why did you move to Texas all of a sudden? Work related?
I did mention it here. I was laid off from my job in the Bay Area back in May and was out of work for a while. Had to dump my Sharks season tickets. I never wanted to leave my home area of the Bay Area, BUT for my line of work there were plenty of jobs in Texas and the cost of living is lower (We bought a huge 4 year old house dirt cheap...3700 sq. ft house built in 2005 with a gameroom that made for an easy dedicated home theater conversion that we just finished, all for $210k) and no state income tax. I told my wife if I have to live here in the middle of nowhere in the DFW area, I need my dream dedicated HT when not at work. And I got it, 100" 16:9 pull up screen (already had that), 180" 2.35:1 painted on screen, 2 HT recliners (Already had that too), a 7.1 speaker system I put together with Klipsch high end speakers, etc)

Ended up landing a great job in Dallas and physically been in Dallas since mid November. I hate not being in the Bay Area, but Dallas isn't so bad. Could be a lot worse, I was also talking to firms in Houston. Would have been even worse for hockey (And IMHO, simply a more unpleasant place to live).

All of this made this first Sharks at Stars game (for us) extra special and those goals REALLY felt good!

As much as I don't like the Stars, I like the fact that here in the DFW area they only have one team per major pro sport. That means where I live, about 30 miles Northeast of AA Center (25 miles away from my office), in a suburb that is semi-rural, you see many people wearing Stars gear and when I wear Sharks gear people exchange friendly smiles and nods, it's cool. Go 30 miles north of SJ (like SF), and you never see even a Sharks sweater. I firmly believe it's because the Bay Area has way too many sports teams. On the flip side, you can be in proper Dallas, TX, not even 5 or 10 miles away from the arena, and lay people don't even know who the San Jose Sharks are, although we are one of the Stars biggest rivals. Yesterday I was carrying around my jersey to work and then put it on and people in my office building obviously didn't know who the Sharks were and co-worker said, looking at the logo on my jersey, "Oh, your Ducks are in town tonight, right?" I raised my voice, "DUCKS?? Are you kidding me?? SHARKS!!!!"

Last edited by ChompChomp: 12-22-2009 at 09:50 AM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I did mention it here. I was laid off from my job in the Bay Area back in May and was out of work for a while. Had to dump my Sharks season tickets. I never wanted to leave my home area of the Bay Area, BUT for my line of work there were plenty of jobs in Texas and the cost of living is lower (We bought a huge 4 year old house dirt cheap...3700 sq. ft house built in 2005 with a gameroom that made for an easy dedicated home theater conversion that we just finished, all for $210k) and no state income tax. I told my wife if I have to live here in the middle of nowhere in the DFW area, I need my dream dedicated HT when not at work. And I got it, 100" 16:9 pull up screen (already had that), 180" 2.35:1 painted on screen, 2 HT recliners (Already had that too), a 7.1 speaker system I put together with Klipsch high end speakers, etc)

Ended up landing a great job in Dallas and physically been in Dallas since mid November. I hate not being in the Bay Area, but Dallas isn't so bad. Could be a lot worse, I was also talking to firms in Houston. Would have been even worse for hockey (And IMHO, simply a more unpleasant place to live).

All of this made this first Sharks at Stars game (for us) extra special and those goals REALLY felt good!

As much as I don't like the Stars, I like the fact that here in the DFW area they only have one team per major pro sport. That means where I live, about 30 miles Northeast of AA Center (25 miles away from my office), in a suburb that is semi-rural, you see many people wearing Stars gear and when I wear Sharks gear people exchange friendly smiles and nods, it's cool. Go 30 miles north of SJ (like SF), and you never see even a Sharks sweater. I firmly believe it's because the Bay Area has way too many sports teams. On the flip side, you can be in proper Dallas, TX, not even 5 or 10 miles away from the arena, and lay people don't even know who the San Jose Sharks are, although we are one of the Stars biggest rivals. Yesterday I was carrying around my jersey to work and then put it on and people in my office building obviously didn't know who the Sharks were and co-worker said, looking at the logo on my jersey, "Oh, your Ducks are in town tonight, right?" I raised my voice, "DUCKS?? Are you kidding me?? SHARKS!!!!"
I can certainly relate, similar story. I didn't get laid off, but I hated my job (I was doing small business IT) and my wife was working outside her field. I told her if she could find a new job in her field I would be willing to relocate for her.

Ended up finding a great job in Reno for her, and I got lucky and found the best job I have ever had (IT Manager for a local company). Like you I bought a big old house for dirt cheap ($255k, 2900sq/ft, big lot, loaded, view of Mt. Rose) and dedicated one room for a HT (which I have not been able to afford to start just yet). Also had to give up my season tickets!

It's been great though. I love the people up here, my job is great, I can be on a ski-lift in 20 minutes flat (season tickets!) and it really is beautiful here.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Thwarter
All out of bubblegum

Man - hearing those kind of prices for those kinds of homes almost makes me want to cry. You can't find any single family home here for less than $300k (unless maybe paying all cash), and if you want one in an even barely average to decent neighborhood it's still over $450k. Having a nice room dedicated for a home theater is one of my dreams! Sharks on a 100" screen? Nice!

Thwarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgood View Post
3rd time this season losing a snog by tiebreaker.
Do you want OTL points?

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:45 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwarter View Post
Man - hearing those kind of prices for those kinds of homes almost makes me want to cry. You can't find any single family home here for less than $300k (unless maybe paying all cash), and if you want one in an even barely average to decent neighborhood it's still over $450k. Having a nice room dedicated for a home theater is one of my dreams! Sharks on a 100" screen? Nice!
The home prices were the only thing we hated about the Bay Area. When working in Palo Alto, once we put an offer on a house in Discovery Bay because we wanted something somewhat affordable (during the boom): 2800 sq. ft new home asking $559,000. Thank god we low balled it and sellers moved on, that kind of commute (approx 80 miles each way) takes it toll.

Since I have DirecTV, no Sharks on 100" screen tonight but next HD game, most definitely. I did that in California too, but it was a pain to set all that up in our tiny 900 sq ft apt (Whose rent is the same amount as my mortgage principal + interest + home ins + property tax per month). Sharks in 100" HD is very nice. So are 2.35:1 (cinemascope or whatever they used to call it) movies on the 180" painted screen wall.

It helps to ease the pain of not being in the Bay Area, but it does not eliminate it. Nothing can do that because IMHO, there is no other place like the Bay Area in the United States. And NOTHING can make up for not being able to hit up Sharks games in person and see Sharkie, the Shark head, and the uber-hot Sharks hockey skanks. (but seriously, besides the gorgeous Stars Ice Girls and a few hotties here and there, the women at Sharks games >>> women at Stars games, by a longshot)

But it would have been much worse going to a market where it's less money to be made AND no hockey, like KC (Where I went to law school back in the day).

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote