HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Carter or Boyes?

View Poll Results: Kovy, Vinny, Carter, or Boyes?
Kovalchuk 37pts in 29 games 38 27.94%
Lecavalier 33pts in 36 games 30 22.06%
Carter 27pts in 35 games 55 40.44%
Boyes 24pts in 35 games 13 9.56%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
As much as I'd love to have Kovalchuk in the uniform I think it's too unrealistic. We're stuck with Gomez, but if we could trade him, we'd need a center to play with Kovalchuk.

Carter IS realistic. His cap hit is manageable. If you keep him as a winger and hope to sign Pleks too, you can still do it, but you need to move some salary out.

The logical place to shed is the blue line. Hamrlik, given that he's got a year left on his deal after this season, would be attractive to some. He's expensive, but it's only a year. He can log a lot of minutes, but if you've got depth he can instantly become one of the best second pair guys in the league given his experience and steady play.

If you decide Carter is your future center in place of Pleks, then you need to decide whether or not you make a run with what you have, or trade him. His value will NEVER be higher than it is. Stock up on picks, or prospects.
Hammer would be a player we could trade at the deadline. We still have Mara, and can play games without hammer. Trade hammer away, and replace his cap with Carter (trading Halak and Patches, skost, or wtv) and we are back to where we are now, but with this lineup

Cammy Pleks Ak
Carter Gomez Gio
Pouliot Metro Moen
Bergeron Lapierre Dago

Markov Spacek
Mara Obyrne
Gill Gorges

and hope to God we can afford Pleks and Price somehow next offseason.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Lecavalier is better than Gomez ? And if we're going to deal in overpaid pieces of crap, I'd rather have the local guy.

Gomez has never really shown he was worth that much money. Lecavalier has shown he was.

Wtf is wrong with you ?
Lecavalier has a cap hit of $7.7M to the 2019-2020 season...

Gomez has a cap hit of $7.3M to the 2013-2014 season...

I'll take the $7.7M cap space from 2014-2020 by not trading for Vinny - pretty sure we can find a better way to spend the $$$ during those 5 years.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
As a pending UFA, Kovy wouldn't even fetch one of Markov or Price, unless he comes with a signed contract. Columbus's GM in the JDM yesterday was saying how the NHL is a no-trade league now, because everybody wants to get rid of contracts of underperforming players.

And if Kovy doesn't want to sign back, Waddel is stuck for another round of Hossa dealings with other GMs and will end-up getting 3-4 pieces, but nothing close to Markov or Price, unless he gets really lucky, because we're already at half point of the season. Poor Waddel.
I'm just saying that if Gainey wanted to add Kovalchuk today what the price would be. I'm speculating athat Kovalchuk today is not really on the market, same as Plekanec.

For the Habs to move Plekanec today, it would have to be a ridiculous offer like Carter and Giroux for Halak and Pleks. Maybe at the deadline if negotiations are not going well and the Habs are 13th 8pts behind 8th, then picks and young players would do it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Marksman

Easy choise: Jeff Carter.

Habs cant afford Lecavalier and Kovalchuk contracts without butchering the team we have for a decade, Boyes is just a bigger version of Plekanec and smaller version of Carter. Or is it another way around.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:34 AM
LouisJCloutier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
1st line 14 million
2nd line 23.5 million

total of 37.5 million on the top 2 lines

include Markov,Hamrlik,Price and his raise....ain't gonna happen

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Gionta - Maxwell - Kovalchuck

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
At first, I defended Gainey's acquisition of Gomez. He tried getting a guy who could carry a line, though he was overpaid. I thought he was a 70-80 point guy worth about 5.5 to 6M a year, so the overpayment wasn't that bad. I also remembered him from his years in Jersey, where he always looked good against the Habs. But man, what a horrible ****ing trade that was. I would take any of those players if it meant sending Gomez the other way.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Year 101

Before jumping on any trades why don't we first see how Gomez works with Gionta and either Pouliot or Sergei and then if its not working out see how a trade works out

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:09 AM
CarrePrisme

I don't think it's realistic to think that anyone would take Gomez's inflated contract.
So we might as well learn to live with it and appreciate him.

But I would trade just about everything, except Markov, Price, Gio, Plek, Gomez, AK, Cam...to get either Kovalchuk or Carter.

If TO can spend most of their salary on D, I don't see why we couldn't put all our eggs on offense.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year 101 View Post
Before jumping on any trades why don't we first see how Gomez works with Gionta and either Pouliot or Sergei and then if its not working out see how a trade works out
When you trade for a guy taking that much cap space, who you expect will be the no.1 center, well, you also expect him to be able to carry a line, or at the very least make his linemates better. It's not just a question of quality of linemates anymore, Koivu has done more with less in the past (for less than 5M I might add), the fact of the matter is the way he's playing right now is suited for specific types of wingers (like Gionta). We had a player in Kovalev who needed specific types of linemates to succeed. Not a fan unless your skill level is similar to Iginla, Nash, Kovalchuk or Gaborik.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
I don't think it's realistic to think that anyone would take Gomez's inflated contract.
So we might as well learn to live with it and appreciate him.

But I would trade just about everything, except Markov, Price, Gio, Plek, Gomez, AK, Cam...to get either Kovalchuk or Carter.

If TO can spend most of their salary on D, I don't see why we couldn't put all our eggs on offense.

I guess you think Atlanta would accept Metro + SK + Halak + Lapierre + MaxPac + D'ags for Kovalchuk? Highly doubt any team trades a top 6 with us if one or two of the bolded players isn't included.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Year 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
When you trade for a guy taking that much cap space, who you expect will be the no.1 center, well, you also expect him to be able to carry a line, or at the very least make his linemates better. It's not just a question of quality of linemates anymore, Koivu has done more with less in the past (for less than 5M I might add), the fact of the matter is the way he's playing right now is suited for specific types of wingers (like Gionta). We had a player in Kovalev who needed specific types of linemates to succeed. Not a fan unless your skill level is similar to Iginla, Nash, Kovalchuk or Gaborik.
Gomez is a pure playmaker. He cannot pass the puck to the person and automatically expect it to go in. Koivu played with Ryders, Higgins, Tanguay Kovalev he played with some pretty decent goal scorers in his day. People forget at the beginning of the season and even Preseason Gomez worked really well with Cammalleri and Gionta infact I even remember that beautiful shorthanded goal between gionta and gomez. They wanted more consistency so they split up our little 3 and now gomez has been stuck with Sergei whos a great player but primarily a passer and Lapierre or Dagostini who both have done nothing. Yes it's alot of money and he can carry a line but hockey is a team game he is a PASSER and Passers need SHOOTers to score.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstastic View Post

I guess you think Atlanta would accept Metro + SK + Halak + Lapierre + MaxPac + D'ags for Kovalchuk?
I'd expect a deal for Kovachuk to be centered around Gomez and Andrei Kostitsyn personally. I could see Waddell going for Gomez, after that you'd probably have to add in Subban and your first rounder. Gomez, Kostitsyn, Subban and first... that's a lot, but that's what I would ask if I were Atlanta.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
I share your approach meaning the solution is already within this team ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Komarov47

Well it looks like Carter is on his way to Montreal, but the names of Plekanec and Halak are on the table.

http://www.toutsurlehockey.com/rumeu...-canadien.html

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:17 AM
LouisJCloutier

Quote:
Amen to that. And if we are in a playoff position on march, try to get a top 6 player.

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:20 AM
CarrePrisme

Quote:

I guess you think Atlanta would accept Metro + SK + Halak + Lapierre + MaxPac + D'ags for Kovalchuk?
Maybe if we threw in our all top picks for the next 5 years?

You can stop guessing anything from what I said.

I never claimed that it was feasible. I'm just dreaming. I don't really care about trades, especially when they are imaginary trades. I like the team as it is, to be honest, even though it's not exactly the best team around. Unlike most fans, I don't demand a Cup every year. I like watching hockey, even if the Habs ice a crappy team.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
Maybe if we threw in our all top picks for the next 5 years?

You can stop guessing anything from what I said.

I never claimed that it was feasible. I'm just dreaming. I don't really care about trades, especially when they are imaginary trades. I like the team as it is, to be honest, even though it's not exactly the best team around. Unlike most fans, I don't demand a Cup every year. I like watching hockey, even if the Habs ice a crappy team.
I was just having fun with your comment... I'm with you - this team is not the best but I would keep the team as it is and simply wait for the injured players to come back. If we don't make the playoffs, it only means we get a decent first round pick this year in the draft.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Year 101

I would never trade for Kovalchuk unless their was a guarantee for signing long term at a reasonable 7-8 million a year.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

Kovalchuk who wouldnt want top 5 nhl player

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:39 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want The 25 View Post
Kovalchuk who wouldnt want top 5 nhl player
Same, at least make room for him after...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
I was just having fun with your comment... I'm with you - this team is not the best but I would keep the team as it is and simply wait for the injured players to come back. If we don't make the playoffs, it only means we get a decent first round pick this year in the draft.
Exactly. That's all there is to it. No point losing sleep over this and asking for magical trades on a weekly basis.

Personally, I'll be happy if I get to see another Cup in my lifetime.

If we like hockey that much, we should enjoy the game and be able to be patient at least as much as fans of other franchises have been to get another cup or even a first one.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Well it looks like Carter is on his way to Montreal, but the names of Plekanec and Halak are on the table.

So, it says:

Plekanec
Halak
Gill

for

Carter
Boucher

What exactly makes that site legit?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post

I like Carter and all, but that would be sooooo dumb to trade Plekanec right now...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:31 PM
PacoXIII

You know people clearly disagree with the fact that gomez makes that much money but the FACT is... LOOK at his playoff performance statistics, THATS why he got that much money and THATS why Bob gainey went to get him. Wait until we get to playoffs and then you will all **** when him and Gionta turn up the heat in this biznatch. You can all keep dreaming about your kovalchuks and carters and etc... KEEP DREAMING. You guys sound like kids at a video game store...

PacoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
So, it says:

Plekanec
Halak
Gill