HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Boucher out; Backlund recalled. Powe could return for the next game.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I would have liked to see Backlund get the start against Tampa. You know what you're getting from Leighton; might as well give the new guy a shot.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I would have liked to see Backlund get the start against Tampa. You know what you're getting from Leighton; might as well give the new guy a shot.
Maybe they've seen enough out of Backlund in practice against NHL players to know that what you get from Leights is better than what they would get out of Backlund?

Afterall, if they felt that Backlund could at least given them one game, why would they have signed Leighton? It's not exactly a secret how "good" Leighton is, so isn't it safe to say that the powers that be feel that Leighton > Backlund?

Obviously it's not the same thing, but last night Edmonton finally gave their replacement starter a rest and started AHL'er Devan Dubnyk, who was playing very well at the AHL level this year, against a mediocre St. Louis team. The result was a 7-2 loss where Dubnyk allowed 7 goals on 26 shots.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:04 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Maybe they've seen enough out of Backlund in practice against NHL players to know that what you get from Leights is better than what they would get out of Backlund?

Afterall, if they felt that Backlund could at least given them one game, why would they have signed Leighton? It's not exactly a secret how "good" Leighton is, so isn't it safe to say that the powers that be feel that Leighton > Backlund?

Obviously it's not the same thing, but last night Edmonton finally gave their replacement starter a rest and started AHL'er Devan Dubnyk, who was playing very well at the AHL level this year, against a mediocre St. Louis team. The result was a 7-2 loss where Dubnyk allowed 7 goals on 26 shots.
I think it's pretty obvious that management has little confidence in Backlund.

It doesn't really matter who's between the pipes right now, though, as long as scoring goals is the team's biggest problem.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

All but the most talented goalies are usually an automatic L their first game or two up. The last thing this team can afford is an automatic L. That's what I think that decision is about. At this point I kind of hope Leighton breaks a pinky or something dumb if we're losing...might as well see what we've got.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

That is awesome that Powe can return. A healthy team outside of Emery and we can't play though. It's all psychological then.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Leighton =

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I really, really want Backlund to start. I really want to see what he can do. Leighton has shown he has the ability to slide across ice with no friction and can't control where he goes on the ice. If Backlund is recalled so much, put his ass to use, not just constantly put him on buses/planes.

Old
12-22-2009, 02:05 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
All but the most talented goalies are usually an automatic L their first game or two up. The last thing this team can afford is an automatic L. That's what I think that decision is about. At this point I kind of hope Leighton breaks a pinky or something dumb if we're losing...might as well see what we've got.
Mike Brodeur in Ottawa is certainly an exception to the rule, but I agree with you.

As for Backlund, at this point, why not give him a start, although throwing him the wolves might not be good for his confidence/development.

Maybe playing a rookie goalie will result in the team playing harder (although that experiment failed miserably a few years back when they tried that with a rookie J-M Pelletier).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Mike Brodeur in Ottawa is certainly an exception to the rule, but I agree with you.

As for Backlund, at this point, why not give him a start, although throwing him the wolves might not be good for his confidence/development.

Maybe playing a rookie goalie will result in the team playing harder (although that experiment failed miserably a few years back when they tried that with a rookie J-M Pelletier).
I highly doubt Backlund will win his first full game in Philly. Honestly, it is hard for me to imagine the Flyers winning games for Kipper right now though ...

Last edited by GKJ: 12-22-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: QDP
IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

This may sound mean, but we need someone like Brent Sutter. He not only knows how to win, but will **** you over and punish you if you don't play right. Some think Tort can be mean, Sutter will put you in the dog house forever and forget you if you suck.

Old
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I seriously can't believe Leighton is playing hockey for the Flyers. It's the Season From Hell Part 2.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:33 PM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I seriously can't believe Leighton is playing hockey for the Flyers. It's the Season From Hell Part 2.
That's what happens when you have zero goaltending prospects in the system. Grab any idiot on waivers. Leighton just happened to me the lucky guy being sent down. I imagine it could have been anyone at that point.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
miltons rules

Put Cote in net maybe he'll earn his salary!

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-22-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: edited word "idiot."
miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post
That's what happens when you have zero goaltending prospects in the system. Grab any idiot on waivers. Leighton just happened to me the lucky guy being sent down. I imagine it could have been anyone at that point.
Yeah, it could have been anyone, it's just painful deja vu.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Garbage Goal

Just forfeit the TB game. Make it easier on the fans.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:34 PM
weerrt

I hate to be correct sometimes....

weerrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:36 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

we bet on how many goals Leighton lets in? we need a v bookie on it

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Miss Mess

Cool that Powe is back tomorrow... we'll likely still lose though. December has been a disaster

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
mypunkrock

I hope Powe gets to play and is totally healed.

While I'm not a blind supporter of his, I respect the way he plays and he could be a major asset in Lavi's system. I think he is just what we need to start scoring some goals. Hopefully he gets all the playing time he can handle.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:18 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I hope Powe gets to play and is totally healed.

While I'm not a blind supporter of his, I respect the way he plays and he could be a major asset in Lavi's system. I think he is just what we need to start scoring some goals. Hopefully he gets all the playing time he can handle.

Regards,
Rick
Imagine if he got a hat trick without any assists. Imagine how that would make the rest of the team feel that he came back, making a LOT less money, not necessarily as scoring prone and do something like that. I mean, it would help, but it would show that the rest of team is just being a bunch of dumbasses who won't do what they are supposed to do, which is score more than Powe .

Old
12-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
to make up for the likely possibility that this game is really gonna be hard to watch, im going to compensate by being absurdly optimistic.

Prediction: Leighton will walk away with a hat trick.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
If I see Richards and Carter out this weekend like I normally do, I'm fighting them. Seriously.
I would personally love joining in on a Richie/Carter beat down, let me know Im so willing.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

You should beat the hell out of them and then tell them to come read all the horrible things we say about them haha. They to wake up, shape up and stop ****ing whining and get **** done now.

Old
12-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Kaktus*

Carcillo vs Downie.. might be fun..

I am looking forward tomorrows game and lines Lavi will come up with

Gagne Richards good working line
Carcillo Betts Lappy always worked fine and gave 100%

No idea about the rest.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Trainer: Hey, guys, Powe is back tomorrow!

Team: That's... cool....*

*Translation: **** me, he's not that good, but he actually tries and is going to skate hard. Mother****er. That's just not fair. That sonuva***** is going to force me to skate hard if I'm on his line. **** it, I'm showing up drunk.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote