HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Boucher out; Backlund recalled. Powe could return for the next game.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
  #51
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,949
vCash: 955
I would have liked to see Backlund get the start against Tampa. You know what you're getting from Leighton; might as well give the new guy a shot.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
  #52
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I would have liked to see Backlund get the start against Tampa. You know what you're getting from Leighton; might as well give the new guy a shot.
Maybe they've seen enough out of Backlund in practice against NHL players to know that what you get from Leights is better than what they would get out of Backlund?

Afterall, if they felt that Backlund could at least given them one game, why would they have signed Leighton? It's not exactly a secret how "good" Leighton is, so isn't it safe to say that the powers that be feel that Leighton > Backlund?

Obviously it's not the same thing, but last night Edmonton finally gave their replacement starter a rest and started AHL'er Devan Dubnyk, who was playing very well at the AHL level this year, against a mediocre St. Louis team. The result was a 7-2 loss where Dubnyk allowed 7 goals on 26 shots.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:04 PM
  #53
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,949
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Maybe they've seen enough out of Backlund in practice against NHL players to know that what you get from Leights is better than what they would get out of Backlund?

Afterall, if they felt that Backlund could at least given them one game, why would they have signed Leighton? It's not exactly a secret how "good" Leighton is, so isn't it safe to say that the powers that be feel that Leighton > Backlund?

Obviously it's not the same thing, but last night Edmonton finally gave their replacement starter a rest and started AHL'er Devan Dubnyk, who was playing very well at the AHL level this year, against a mediocre St. Louis team. The result was a 7-2 loss where Dubnyk allowed 7 goals on 26 shots.
I think it's pretty obvious that management has little confidence in Backlund.

It doesn't really matter who's between the pipes right now, though, as long as scoring goals is the team's biggest problem.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
  #54
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Maybe they've seen enough out of Backlund in practice against NHL players to know that what you get from Leights is better than what they would get out of Backlund?

Afterall, if they felt that Backlund could at least given them one game, why would they have signed Leighton? It's not exactly a secret how "good" Leighton is, so isn't it safe to say that the powers that be feel that Leighton > Backlund?

Obviously it's not the same thing, but last night Edmonton finally gave their replacement starter a rest and started AHL'er Devan Dubnyk, who was playing very well at the AHL level this year, against a mediocre St. Louis team. The result was a 7-2 loss where Dubnyk allowed 7 goals on 26 shots.
All but the most talented goalies are usually an automatic L their first game or two up. The last thing this team can afford is an automatic L. That's what I think that decision is about. At this point I kind of hope Leighton breaks a pinky or something dumb if we're losing...might as well see what we've got.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
  #55
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,237
vCash: 500
That is awesome that Powe can return. A healthy team outside of Emery and we can't play though. It's all psychological then.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
  #56
SnS
Mod Supervisor
 
SnS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,796
vCash: 50
Leighton =

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
  #57
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,237
vCash: 500
I really, really want Backlund to start. I really want to see what he can do. Leighton has shown he has the ability to slide across ice with no friction and can't control where he goes on the ice. If Backlund is recalled so much, put his ass to use, not just constantly put him on buses/planes.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:05 PM
  #58
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
All but the most talented goalies are usually an automatic L their first game or two up. The last thing this team can afford is an automatic L. That's what I think that decision is about. At this point I kind of hope Leighton breaks a pinky or something dumb if we're losing...might as well see what we've got.
Mike Brodeur in Ottawa is certainly an exception to the rule, but I agree with you.

As for Backlund, at this point, why not give him a start, although throwing him the wolves might not be good for his confidence/development.

Maybe playing a rookie goalie will result in the team playing harder (although that experiment failed miserably a few years back when they tried that with a rookie J-M Pelletier).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
  #59
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Mike Brodeur in Ottawa is certainly an exception to the rule, but I agree with you.

As for Backlund, at this point, why not give him a start, although throwing him the wolves might not be good for his confidence/development.

Maybe playing a rookie goalie will result in the team playing harder (although that experiment failed miserably a few years back when they tried that with a rookie J-M Pelletier).
I highly doubt Backlund will win his first full game in Philly. Honestly, it is hard for me to imagine the Flyers winning games for Kipper right now though ...


Last edited by GKJ: 12-22-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: QDP
IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
  #60
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,237
vCash: 500
This may sound mean, but we need someone like Brent Sutter. He not only knows how to win, but will **** you over and punish you if you don't play right. Some think Tort can be mean, Sutter will put you in the dog house forever and forget you if you suck.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
  #61
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
I seriously can't believe Leighton is playing hockey for the Flyers. It's the Season From Hell Part 2.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:33 PM
  #62
FlyersRKings
Registered User
 
FlyersRKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philly suburbs
Country: United States
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I seriously can't believe Leighton is playing hockey for the Flyers. It's the Season From Hell Part 2.
That's what happens when you have zero goaltending prospects in the system. Grab any idiot on waivers. Leighton just happened to me the lucky guy being sent down. I imagine it could have been anyone at that point.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
  #63
miltons rules
 
miltons rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Put Cote in net maybe he'll earn his salary!


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-22-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: edited word "idiot."
miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
  #64
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post
That's what happens when you have zero goaltending prospects in the system. Grab any idiot on waivers. Leighton just happened to me the lucky guy being sent down. I imagine it could have been anyone at that point.
Yeah, it could have been anyone, it's just painful deja vu.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
  #65
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,066
vCash: 500
Just forfeit the TB game. Make it easier on the fans.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:34 PM
  #66
weerrt
 
weerrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Linköping, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
I hate to be correct sometimes....

weerrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:36 PM
  #67
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
we bet on how many goals Leighton lets in? we need a v bookie on it

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:51 PM
  #68
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
Cool that Powe is back tomorrow... we'll likely still lose though. December has been a disaster

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
  #69
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
I hope Powe gets to play and is totally healed.

While I'm not a blind supporter of his, I respect the way he plays and he could be a major asset in Lavi's system. I think he is just what we need to start scoring some goals. Hopefully he gets all the playing time he can handle.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:18 PM
  #70
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I hope Powe gets to play and is totally healed.

While I'm not a blind supporter of his, I respect the way he plays and he could be a major asset in Lavi's system. I think he is just what we need to start scoring some goals. Hopefully he gets all the playing time he can handle.

Regards,
Rick
Imagine if he got a hat trick without any assists. Imagine how that would make the rest of the team feel that he came back, making a LOT less money, not necessarily as scoring prone and do something like that. I mean, it would help, but it would show that the rest of team is just being a bunch of dumbasses who won't do what they are supposed to do, which is score more than Powe .

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:09 PM
  #71
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,752
vCash: 156
to make up for the likely possibility that this game is really gonna be hard to watch, im going to compensate by being absurdly optimistic.

Prediction: Leighton will walk away with a hat trick.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
  #72
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
If I see Richards and Carter out this weekend like I normally do, I'm fighting them. Seriously.
I would personally love joining in on a Richie/Carter beat down, let me know Im so willing.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:43 PM
  #73
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,237
vCash: 500
You should beat the hell out of them and then tell them to come read all the horrible things we say about them haha. They to wake up, shape up and stop ****ing whining and get **** done now.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:26 PM
  #74
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Carcillo vs Downie.. might be fun..

I am looking forward tomorrows game and lines Lavi will come up with

Gagne Richards good working line
Carcillo Betts Lappy always worked fine and gave 100%

No idea about the rest.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:28 PM
  #75
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Trainer: Hey, guys, Powe is back tomorrow!

Team: That's... cool....*

*Translation: **** me, he's not that good, but he actually tries and is going to skate hard. Mother****er. That's just not fair. That sonuva***** is going to force me to skate hard if I'm on his line. **** it, I'm showing up drunk.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.