HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#36 - 12.21.09 | New York Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
12-22-2009, 02:28 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Nice to see a winning streak but people going to either extreme about this team are mistaken. This team has beaten 3 teams in a row who are horrible(actually worse than the Rangers) and havent really beaten them convincingly. I am glad their confidence is up and they are winning but until they can score some more goals and tighten up their defense they wont be good over long stretches because the good teams will pick them apart.

Good news:
Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky and Christensen IMO were all very good tonight.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Nice to get three wins..but besides that isles game...I think we lose the last two vs good teams....But hey...confidence is confidence and the Rangers are getting it so let hope it continues! The Dubi/Gabby line is starting to click again...
The way Lundqvist is playing right now, im not sure I agree with that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's take something positive away: We've beaten 3 teams we SHOULD beat...and build from there

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Let's take something positive away: We've beaten 3 teams we SHOULD beat...and build from there
Yeah I mentioned it earlier as well... it's a start.

The biggest test of the remaining games of December will be at home tommorow, against Florida. We also have a losing record at home so far this season... Gotta change that trend.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
rvdnsx

Kinda OT, but having NHL Center Ice I only had access to the Carolina broadcast for last night's game. Normally, I hate watching anything but the NY Rangers broadcast team but the Carolina broadcast is actually one of the better ones in the league IMO thanks to John Forsland. The guy calls like it is, much like Sam Rosen. He's not a homer broadcaster (cough, cough, Pittsburgh...) and actually made the game quite watchable. I don't know about you guys but I can't stand 80% of non Rangers broadcasts unless they are done on a Canadian network. Teams like Nashville, Florida, Detroit, Philadelphia, and especially Pittsburgh have such ungodly bad announcers that I'd rather skip the game altogether then listen to the way their own team can't do any wrong. And watching the highlights on NHL.com for the Devils - Pens game last night, it actually felt pretty good listening to those sorry Pens announcers almost breaking down because Cindy and Gina couldn't beat one of the most overrated goalies, ever! Sorry about the rants but anyone else agree?

rvdnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Does anyone else feel like they've been watching Tom Renney hockey the past few games?

And not just the product on the ice, but the points in the standings too.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Salz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Does anyone else feel like they've been watching Tom Renney hockey the past few games?

I think score wise it seems like Renney hockey but they've been a little more aggressive. Still, it's obvious that Torts is more passive about attacking because of his personnel. Though it's not quite Renney, this is certainly not the type of hockey he'd prefer to play.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
morffin

Gaborik is one of the most impressive athletes to ever play here. Everything about him...his demeanor ... his defense ...his passing ..and most surprising his toughness. He doesnt act like he leads the lg in scoring.

His subdued goal celebrations really stand out in this age of people going nuts over every goal.

What a player ...great signing by Sather....he took a chance and so far it's paying off in every aspect of the game.

Cant wait to see what Gaborik does in a couple of years when he is surrounded by some of the really good skaters we have in the system...hes playing with 2nd and 3rd line talents, vinnie and dubi ..and still leads the lg in goals.... impressive as hell.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:07 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The Rangers played a pretty solid game all around last night. Good to see. I like how they kept skating and pressing in the third. They were skating and were on pucks. The defense, positioning and little plays were there. As Torts said, they are building. You can see some of that swagger filtering into their game a little bit.

The important part is maintaining it it over the next 6 -7 games and especially at home. They'll be playing the same type of sub-500 club over that duration so they have to keep the foot on the pedal and be even better than they have been. Still need to see that elusive 3rd goal though. They had a ton of chances and while Ward was good, they have to get into the kitchen even more. Not enough screen shots and quick plays from the point.

True, the Canes weren't mounting much of a creative attack, and the Rangers took care of any trouble quickly. Henrik didnt have to be spectacular which was good. But they should have won this game, and they did... and it was on the road. So I think you take it for what it is. A good 2 points on the road. Now its important to keep building. Theres still a long way to climb here.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:12 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
Gaborik is one of the most impressive athletes to ever play here. Everything about him...his demeanor ... his defense ...his passing ..and most surprising his toughness. He doesnt act like he leads the lg in scoring.

His subdued goal celebrations really stand out in this age of people going nuts over every goal.

What a player ...great signing by Sather....he took a chance and so far it's paying off in every aspect of the game.

Cant wait to see what Gaborik does in a couple of years when he is surrounded by some of the really good skaters we have in the system...hes playing with 2nd and 3rd line talents, vinnie and dubi ..and still leads the lg in goals.... impressive as hell.

We normally don't see such words together.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I think score wise it seems like Renney hockey but they've been a little more aggressive. Still, it's obvious that Torts is more passive about attacking because of his personnel. Though it's not quite Renney, this is certainly not the type of hockey he'd prefer to play.
What you see as "aggressive" is actually Marian Gaborik.

This team is concentrating on the defensive side of the puck and leaning on Henrik Lundqvist, and those are good things considering this roster beyond Gaborik.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:39 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

It's called Tortorella conceding that his system doesn't work and Tom Renney's does. The Rangers have had very few "safe is death" wins and the only way they make something out of this season is to play games like they did last night.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Levitate

As long as there are defensemen jumping into the play and standing up at the blueline/in the neutral zone, it's not Renney's system.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
It's called Tortorella conceding that his system doesn't work and Tom Renney's does. The Rangers have had very few "safe is death" wins and the only way they make something out of this season is to play games like they did last night.
yes. boring is back.

ill admit, i was one of those people who said i would prefer losing games over playing "renney" hockey. well.........

i eat crow.

now we have torts doing renney. its all so confusing.

and the devils being so good again this year with lemaire back behind the bench reinforces my belief that the end of the world in near.

well, that and this of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLefo0fn96o

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:02 AM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdnsx View Post
Kinda OT, but having NHL Center Ice I only had access to the Carolina broadcast for last night's game. Normally, I hate watching anything but the NY Rangers broadcast team but the Carolina broadcast is actually one of the better ones in the league IMO thanks to John Forsland. The guy calls like it is, much like Sam Rosen. He's not a homer broadcaster (cough, cough, Pittsburgh...) and actually made the game quite watchable. I don't know about you guys but I can't stand 80% of non Rangers broadcasts unless they are done on a Canadian network. Teams like Nashville, Florida, Detroit, Philadelphia, and especially Pittsburgh have such ungodly bad announcers that I'd rather skip the game altogether then listen to the way their own team can't do any wrong. And watching the highlights on NHL.com for the Devils - Pens game last night, it actually felt pretty good listening to those sorry Pens announcers almost breaking down because Cindy and Gina couldn't beat one of the most overrated goalies, ever! Sorry about the rants but anyone else agree?
I also watched this game on center ice since i live in indiana and i agree the Carolina Broadcasters were great to listen to....they were the best to listen to so far this season(minus ours of course )

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:08 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
The way Lundqvist is playing right now, im not sure I agree with that.
1.77GAA .945 SV% in the last 9

Can't believe we won less than 50% of those games. This has been the problem with this team for years now. When Hank gets hot (and when he gets hot, he usually gets really hot) they fail to take advantage and then end up having to catch up at the end of the season all the time.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Levitate

To be honest this is starting to look like the kind of season I hoped for out of Lundqvist...he started well, but not spectacular, then went through a short slump and is now heating up instead of flopping in December.

I'd much rather have a goalie who gets hot later in the season than one who is hot to start the season. Lundqvist's "usual" slump seems to be much shorter this year which is great

It's just insane looking at the goalie stats this year though. Miller's stats are unreal...I have to imagine he's going to come to earth at some point but wow. And that there are so many other guys who are over .920 save % and have played a lot of games, it's just unreal.

Again I assume many of them will fall off some and the league leader will probably have something in the .92-ish range, but it's nuts

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
To think just 2 weeks ago we had multiple threads on hank getting traded or how he was a premodana

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
To think just 2 weeks ago we had multiple threads on hank getting traded or how he was a premodana
It's ridiculous and reactionary. I wasted so much time arguing with people that said Henke was just above average, way overrated, a product of Renney's system, would never do well playing with this team in front of him, was "bottom of the charts" or something similarly insane, and on and on and on...

The guy is one of the elite netminders in the NHL, but he's not immune to slumps. I'm sure he'll probably go through another slump before the season is all said and done. Still, the guy is going to steal us FAR more points than he'll lose us.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's ridiculous and reactionary. I wasted so much time arguing with people that said Henke was just above average, way overrated, a product of Renney's system, would never do well playing with this team in front of him, was "bottom of the charts" or something similarly insane, and on and on and on...

The guy is one of the elite netminders in the NHL, but he's not immune to slumps. I'm sure he'll probably go through another slump before the season is all said and done. Still, the guy is going to steal us FAR more points than he'll lose us.
I agree with the whole post but obviously especially with that last sentence. Lately Henrik has been doing just that.

He has been flat out phenomenal. He really has. He still has the issue of going down to early sometimes, and then getting beat over the shoulder (which happened on Pronger's goal in Philly). But he has been excellent.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:29 PM
slovakfan*

there is a lot of talking about Gab's linemates...

2nd and 3rd line talents...

Demitra is supposed to be traded... somewhere (in pack for Ilya... to atlanta)

What about to pack Drury

slovakfan* is offline   Reply With Quote