HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier, Gretzky taking over Rangers?

Old
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 500
The much more logical and realistic scenario should Sather decide to step back into just the president role is Schoenfeld becoming GM and Messier taking his spot as the assistant GM.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:20 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

With Gretzky's international olympic experience, I'd rather him in an office position with Messier as HIS assistant. Just like when Gretzky was captain.

Unless Sather is leaving, not sure how many more positions they can make up.

Senior Advisor to the President - Mike Barnett
Hockey and Business Operations - Adam Graves
Special Assistant to the President - Mark Messier
Senior Special Advisor to Darth Dolan & Special Assistant to Seniors - Wayne Gretzky?

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:16 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Its not personal... but he delivered... why not give him a shot?

What makes you think he won't be good? Just because he was agood player and players dont make great GMs? Thats all just speculation until he actually tries himself.

Mark Messier is a pretty accomplished individual. Knows the game... famous for his intense competitiveness.

Maybe he played past his bodies ability to equal that competitivness. Maybe he can channel it all into a GMs more intellectual role.

I just don't don't see where the animosity comes from.

Does anyone really think Messier would not bring a very determined drive to be the best to the job?
Then let him "cut his teeth" elsewhere.

I do not want the Rangers to be the 1st team he fails with. Because at the end of the day ALL GM's fail.

I don't want the Rangers to be his proving grounds.

I want a GM that already has a successful resume in some form of front office job longer than a year.

Finally, I want to cut ties with all things Sather and keeping Messier on after Sather steps down pretty much ensures that Sather and his "opinions and wisdom" (lol, yeah I said it) remain a very large part of the equation here in NY.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:30 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
The much more logical and realistic scenario should Sather decide to step back into just the president role is Schoenfeld becoming GM and Messier taking his spot as the assistant GM.
I could live with something like that, but my preference is to remove all lingering remenants of Sather alltogether.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:34 AM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I could live with something like that, but my preference is to remove all lingering remenants of Sather alltogether.
While I certainly agree with you in principle, the fact is that if Sather ever gets the axe, it will be Dolan who will weild it. Dolan wants stellar names associated with his franshise. He knows and cares nothing about the hockey. It's all show business to him.

Dolan had NOTHING to do with the 1994 Cup. But he knows the value of continuing to romanticize the good old days with the fan base by feeding them more 94 nostalgia programming they can stomach, ie he's got Leetch hawking a Christmas Day Marathon.

If anyone is to succeed Sather, it will be Mark "I'm Jim Dolan's Cash Cow" Messier. Mess will tap Keenan as his Head Coach and stack the front office with relatives and former teammates.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Shadowtron

This is why the Rangers never win anything. They’re always looking for a NYC gimmick for the fans. Grant it, this is an unsubstantiated rumor. But it’s still not far off from the exact types of moves the Rangers make. Rather than breaking it apart, establishing a system/concept, and acquiring players who fit that concept, we’re stuck with schemes and atrocious contracts and a patchwork squad built to achieve mediocrity and nothing else.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:42 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Rather than breaking it apart, establishing a system/concept, and acquiring players who fit that concept, we’re stuck with schemes and atrocious contracts and a patchwork squad built to achieve mediocrity and nothing else.

Hey Messier may feel the same way today?

You think every GM want to be, including some of us, doesnt see Sathers mistakes? Would do things differently?

12-22-2009, 08:38 AM
The Thomas J.*

I really HOPE that Mark Messier does not take the reins as coach of this team ever......Even as a GM. I just can't see it going well.

I love Messier, but he is too Stuborn for his own good in some instances. He would be worse than Sather when it comes to cutting the cords on bad trades or signings.

If the Rangers are gonna go for an unknown GM name with Hall of fame star power that's not names Messier or Gretzky, I would Rather give a guy Like Steve Yzerman a shot at running the team. At least he has been training Under Holland now for 3 or 4 years.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Umm I don't know about you guys but I love Glen Sather as our GM.

ROFLCOPTER!!!!!

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Lip

Send a message via AIM to Lip
If Messier became GM what could we expect from him? In terms of cleaning house, signing FAs, etc?

Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
If Messier became GM what could we expect from him? In terms of cleaning house, signing FAs, etc?
No one can say for sure. It's easy to say that as a Sather's protege, he'd bring more of the same...but who the hell knows?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote