HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Vanek Curve

Old
12-21-2009, 11:27 PM
nyr33

vCash: 500
Vanek Curve

Does anyone have a picture of the vanek curve from the top? (preferably right handed) i cant find a decent picture anywhere and i dont really trust the pattern charts companies put out. Also, does anyone know how it compares to the federov warrior curve or the bauer malkin? thanks

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Top (compared to Forsberg):

Side:

Obviously it's the Warrior one in the Easton shaft. It's like a mild mid curve that opens up a bit at the heel, pretty long, pretty tall, pretty flat.

Oh, it's not quite as open as it looks like in the picture.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Top (compared to Forsberg):

Side:

Obviously it's the Warrior one in the Easton shaft. It's like a mild mid curve that opens up a bit at the heel, pretty long, pretty tall, pretty flat.

Oh, it's not quite as open as it looks like in the picture.
All the Vanek's i have seen/tried were all pretty moderate (1/2"ish) heels that are quite open. 4.5 or 5 lie i think.

Which makes sense as you can tell that the Forsberg is more of a mid heel with a bit deeper curve (3/8ish?) and only slightly open.

Neither of those blades are mid curve though.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No, it's a mid curve, but it starts to twist open at the heel. It's kind of an odd thing. If you follow the bottom of the curve with your eyes, it curves at the mid. If you follow the top, it curves a little closer to the toe. And it starts to open right at the heel.

Whatever it was, I was sniping pretty nicely with it for a while, but I like something with some more curve, so off it went.

Old
12-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
No, it's a mid curve, but it starts to twist open at the heel. It's kind of an odd thing. If you follow the bottom of the curve with your eyes, it curves at the mid. If you follow the top, it curves a little closer to the toe. And it starts to open right at the heel.

Whatever it was, I was sniping pretty nicely with it for a while, but I like something with some more curve, so off it went.
That is kind of what the Lidstrom / Getzlaf curve does. A mid curve but it starts opening up just about a couple of inches from where the heel starts. I've seen a couple of people in here tell me it is a heel curve but it isn't.

i would probably like the one on the right you posted above in the photo. It has a bit more toe hook than the Lidstrom / getzlaf and a round toe shape but it would work for me for sure. The rest of the blade is just about the same from my point of view in the photo.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:59 PM
CanadaBacon

Dude, its a heel.

Old
12-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sure, it's a heel. Don't let the fact that the mid-heel blade right next to it starts curving sooner stop you from thinking that.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Sure, it's a heel. Don't let the fact that the mid-heel blade right next to it starts curving sooner stop you from thinking that.
Since I cannot see who you are replying to I assume it was a comment by CanadaBacon since he is the ONLY one here on my ignore list and thankfully his posts do not show up for me.

He also tried to tell me the Lidstrom / Getzlaf MID curve I have was REALLY a heel curve. The fact that I own it, use it and have played hockey for 35+ years apparently did not phase him. HE IS NEVER WRONG!

You sir are about to get into an argument with a brick .... I suggest you humor him and move on or we will have 3 pages of debate which will include the first guy to invent a heel curve and why it is on all sticks with a funny curve and how you should have known that if you know anything at all.

As a side note the blade on the left in your picture looks very much like my Bauer One90 PM9 heel curve I dislike which sits unused and collecting dust. I would love to find someone with a like new Lidstrom or Getzlaf to trade it with or even a Samsonov that has the 7 lie.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 12-22-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old
12-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

According to the blade pattern guides on hockey monkey, the forsberg (now zetterberg) is a 3/8" mid-heel with a lie of 5.

The weight (now vanek) is a 1/2" heel curve, open face, 4.5 lie.

Also, according to hockey monkey, the lidstrom (getzlaf) curve is a 1/2" heel curve.

It doesnt really matter to me what these are, but this may help settle some arguments.

To the original poster, the zetterberg curve matches up with the warrior fedorov and the bauer malkin.

The vanek curve seems to be most like the easton drury and the bauer p106 gagne.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
According to the blade pattern guides on hockey monkey, the forsberg (now zetterberg) is a 3/8" mid-heel with a lie of 5.

The weight (now vanek) is a 1/2" heel curve, open face, 4.5 lie.

Also, according to hockey monkey, the lidstrom (getzlaf) curve is a 1/2" heel curve.

It doesnt really matter to me what these are, but this may help settle some arguments.
You did what Bacon Bits did before, he Googled the pattern or looked on a website. I think he used Hockey Monkey before like it is some source of all that is hockey Godlike and Biblical factoidial gospel hockey knowledge stuff or something.

It doesn't settle an argument as I own the Lidstrom pattern and it is NOT a heel curve. The blade opens early around the heel but it doesn't curve there.

That isn't to say Hockey Monkey has it listed incorrectly as a general info kind of thing, I bought Harrow blades and they (harrow) state them as being "comparable to Lidstrom" and a "Mid-Heel curve" which to be honest should just say a mid-curve because it is. Every company has patterns that are not all exactly the same, you could have 6 different company's blades named Lidstrom and they will not all measure the same exactly.

MINE is not a heel curve and I know this, it is also a 5.5 lie ... THE POINT IS that Bacon Bits likes to argue for the sake of arguing and refuses to listen to other people since he is in every 4 page discussion so this must be so. If I have to post a picture of it I will.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 12-23-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old
12-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Weight is actually about a 5.25 lie...again, look at it compared to a Forsberg clone.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
You did what Bacon Bits did before, he Googled the pattern or looked on a website. I think he used Hockey Monkey before like it is some source of all that is hockey Godlike and Biblical factoidial gospel hockey knowledge stuff or something.

It doesn't settle an argument as I own the Lidstrom pattern and it is NOT a heel curve. The blade opens early around the heel but it doesn't curve there.

That isn't to say Hockey Monkey has it listed incorrectly as a general info kind of thing, I bought Harrow blades and they (harrow) state them as being "comparable to Lidstrom" and a "Mid-Heel curve" which to be honest should just say a mid-curve because it is. Every company has patterns that are not all exactly the same, you could have 6 different company's blades named Lidstrom and they will not all measure the same exactly.

MINE is not a heel curve and I know this, it is also a 5.5 lie ... THE POINT IS that Bacon Bits likes to argue for the sake of arguing and refuses to listen to other people since he is in every 4 page discussion so this must be so. If I have to post a picture of it I will.
I think you missed the part where I said it doesn't matter to me. Personally, I dont care what blade you use or what type of curve you think it is. If you like it and it works for you, congrats thats all that matters.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
The Weight is actually about a 5.25 lie...again, look at it compared to a Forsberg clone.
Fedorov is the Forsberg clone in the Warrior line, not Weight/Vanek. That's the pattern i use so I am sure of that.

Old
12-23-2009, 03:59 PM
CanadaBacon

Good stuff "hockey"fan. You didnt mention your FANTASTIC slapshot, The Maineiacs or how Fantastic Harrows is.

Its a heel, all you have to do is look at it. I wouldnt take HF word about anything, he didnt know what a hollow was up till a few months ago, does know much about the difference between different patterns (proven in his reccommended pattern for a slapshot) and has only been using comp sticks for a little while.

All you have to do is look at the pic that is posted, it is obviously a heel curve. All you have to do is go to a LHS and look at one it is obviously a heel curve.

By telling people that it is a mid, someone might waste there money buying a blade that they cannot use.

2 things that are throwing you off looking at your pic:

1 the Forsberg is a deeper curve
2 the Forsberg is a lot less open.

ok, lets do it this way, Jarick im not trying to be an ass to you, im not trying to insult you. HF is an idiot, but thats a different matter that shouldnt have anything to do with are conversation. If you like the blade and it helps you shot that is all that matters. My whole point was for people how come here that dont know much about patterns and what different patterns do to their shots. Someone who uses mids and is comfortable with mids may have their shot thrown off huge in a bad way if they go out and buy this blade because they think it is a mid.

Its not about proving you wrong, just for the sake of proving you wrong. I have nothing negative to say about you as a poster. A lot of people come here who are new to the game or who arnt as "into" the game as others. This forum is suppose to help them and i am just pointing out that it is in fact a moderatly curved heel that is open.

If i have offended you i am sorry for that, it was not my intention.

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 12-23-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old
12-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Hockeyfan68

hey canada bacon .... i cannot read your responses but I know there is at least one.

I can guess it says "It's a heel, It's a heel, it's a heel!" or something and I don't know what I am talking about or you mentioned harrow again because I love their sticks. It isn't a heel .... you don't even own one!

You know moderators have blocked viewing each other's responses so you responding with junk so others think you are so brilliant is prettyy lame when I cannot respond to it. They did so because YOU were trolling me all over the board even when I ignored you which says a lot about you to begin with.

PM me at least ... I don't even know why I am posting this as you cannot read my posts either.

What a life :lol

Old
12-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's many kinds of mid curves:

Iginla - really flat, short, and neutral faced
Sakic - deeper, longer, and open
Coffey - really, really deep and neutral faced
Weight - really flat, long, and twists open at the heel

None of those really play like anything else.

I don't want to bicker, so maybe it's just our definitions are different. I define a curve as mid if that's where the curve starts. Some define it as where most of the curve is. The Vanek often gets classified as a heel because that where it opens up...

Here's Hossa's pro curve, it's a lot of the same, it's a toe curve that twists open at the mid heel.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
There's many kinds of mid curves:

Iginla - really flat, short, and neutral faced
Sakic - deeper, longer, and open
Coffey - really, really deep and neutral faced
Weight - really flat, long, and twists open at the heel

None of those really play like anything else.

I don't want to bicker, so maybe it's just our definitions are different. I define a curve as mid if that's where the curve starts. Some define it as where most of the curve is. The Vanek often gets classified as a heel because that where it opens up...

Here's Hossa's pro curve, it's a lot of the same, it's a toe curve that twists open at the mid heel.
That's what I am saying ... I define a curve by where the curve is as opposed to where it starts.

By the way I love the Iginla pattern and while it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer it is pretty close to all being the same .... almost.

I used to use a Coffey and liked that, I have some Thornton curved woodies here in the closet that have a nice curve as well. I may try to get a Thornton pattern for a tapered shaft.

Old
12-26-2009, 12:22 AM
CanadaBacon

The way a curve is determined is by measuring the length of the blade and breaking into thirds. If the curve starts in the first 3rd, then its a heel, second 3rd, then its a mid, last 3rd, then a toe.

Even though it doesnt matter, what happened between HF and myself, happened over two threads. The first was the glove one when i used the term "frenchy" and he found it offensive. Fair enough except for the fact that he feels he can use the same term because his grandfathers grandfather once may or mat not have eaten a croissant at some point. So i called him on it then he called me a troll and i brought up the (what i like to call) HF hat trick (his FANTASTIC slapper, how FANTASTIC Harrow is and how FANTASTIC the guy that he knows is who may or may not have anything to do with the Maineiacs). Then in the next thread about Slappers he recommended and very deep mid curve as THE ideal slapper pattern which i felt i had to comment on becuase thats pretty dumb. Then i made a comment i probably shouldnt have saying that he would soon make a post about how it was infact the ideal slapper pattern and give some outrageous story to back it up. Sure enough, like 2 or 3 posts later he told a story about breaking like the 48th pane of glass of the season or some such (obviously exagerrating). The i made another comment i probably shouldnt have like "see told ya" or some such. Now the mods feel it is better if we cant see each others post (which we obviously still can) . I have only "talked" to him in Rink section, and i guess i just got sick of reading some of his comments that just make you say.....what? For people who say they have played for that long and then see some of the "advice" they are giving people here, some times you just got to call shenanigans.

Anyways, like i said, if it works for you that is great. Thats what it is all about and maybe some people will go out and try this pattern and have success. That would be great too. I just dont want them thinking it is a mid when it is a heel. Im sure you know how easy it is to get lost in pattern grind.

Old
12-26-2009, 03:45 PM
nyr33

just got my blade. it really seems to be a heel curve. how will this help my shot? i have a really hard accurate snap shot and wrist shot and a decent slapper. im used to using a fedorov/malkin, so how will this change my shots, if at all?

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr33 View Post
just got my blade. it really seems to be a heel curve. how will this help my shot? i have a really hard accurate snap shot and wrist shot and a decent slapper. im used to using a fedorov/malkin, so how will this change my shots, if at all?
What may happen is that you might get a more accurate/comfortable slapper/onetimer, mean while not lossing any accuracy/comfort in your snap/wrister.

Or your shot may go to hell

Old
05-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Dats13forlife

So in my opinion the Vanek is pretty sweet. Its like the Iginla, Zetterberg, and Drury had an orgy and the Vanek was born. Everything those blades listed above can do, the Vanek can do. Passing, shooting, backhands, and deflections are so simple and easy with this blade. I'm looking to possibly pick one up again for next year, if I can win draws with it since I will be playing center.

Dats13forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:28 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

a curve for faceoffs...now i've heard it all.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Axxion89

Whats the deal with these warrior lies anyway, like some are lie 4 and stuff??? I use a Modano/Zetterberg with an Easton 5 lie, would the Vanek be comparable?

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:22 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Best curve in the whole wide world .

I believe it's very similar to the RBK Crosby if that helps.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Dats13forlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
a curve for faceoffs...now i've heard it all.
I have issues winning draws with some curves. Harrow #4 is one of them. I'm just hoping that my draw technique works with this blade. I have an odd technique according to my coach and it works really well with shorter-mid length blades.

Dats13forlife is offline   Reply With Quote