HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Real reasons this team is where it is

Old
12-22-2009, 12:10 PM
ekcut

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ekcut
I am not really a Flyer fan, I just came in here looking for confirmation on dirt I heard on the radio today, but I thought I'd chime in on my thoughts...

This team has too many chiefs and not enough indians...too many Alpha Male personalities.
It has happened before...How many potential "Captains" does this team have? Too many!! I know that is a weird thing to say, but you have a leader, and then you have followers. If half of your team are "leaders", they probably arent leading in the same directions and the few remaining follows are being pulled in different directions!

This team is full of great parts, but is not very good as a whole.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:12 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I am not really a Flyer fan, I just came in here looking for confirmation on dirt I heard on the radio today, but I thought I'd chime in on my thoughts...

This team has too many chiefs and not enough indians...too many Alpha Male personalities.
It has happened before...How many potential "Captains" does this team have? Too many!! I know that is a weird thing to say, but you have a leader, and then you have followers. If half of your team are "leaders", they probably arent leading in the same directions and the few remaining follows are being pulled in different directions!

What dirt did you hear today?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:15 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
ekcut, just going to say it.

Carter DID NOT pork Hartnell's wife.

Quote:
Herb Brooks mentality. Not looking for the best ones, looking for the right ones.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I think he meant that there is probablly a power stuggle going on in the locker room.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
JSTAFF

I always thought this team had too many "leaders." I dont believe I'm going to say it but the team does not have enough European players. Too many cocky ungrateful North American players. They all think they are the best and should be leaders. Get some low self-esteem Europeans that have something to prove over here.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:44 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I always thought this team had too many "leaders." I dont believe I'm going to say it but the team does not have enough European players. Too many cocky ungrateful North American players. They all think they are the best and should be leaders. Get some low self-esteem Europeans that have something to prove over here.
like Mikka

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Whoa. He really just said that.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Teezax

I don't buy the Star power argument, teams like NJ Nashville Phoenix to name a few have less forward depth then we do but they buy into the team concept and are solid. The simple excuse is everyone on this team seems to have their own agendas, noone is on the same page and our special teams are among the bottom percentile. Special teams and goaltending are everything. First couple months these were our strengths and the reasons for our success, it quickly changed as we've learned. Until we get these issues fixed, we aren't going to ascend in what has become a selfish Eastern Conference

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:43 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Chemistry (or lack thereof) is one of the greatest contributors to team success. Unfortunately, it's also one of the hardest factors to predict.

With Upshall, Phoenix is now 22-13-2, whereas they were 16-14-5 at this point last season. Playing on the top line, Upshall leads Phoenix in goals, game-winning goals, shooting %, and even strength points. Last year, Phoenix lost many of its close games; this year, they are winning them.

Coincidental or not, the Capitals are seeing much more secondary scoring with Knuble in the lineup; they have 10 players with 6+ goals and six players with 9+ goals. Knuble's screens are directly responsible for a number of those goals; above average shots from second liners that were seen and blocked last year are going in because the goalie doesn't see them coming. Knuble has also provided veteran leadership in the locker room and is usually the first person interviewed after a win or loss.
i think knowing who your players are and how they think and interact is as much a part of being the gm as knowing what thier skills sets are. i honestly believe the dismantling of the core group cut the heart out of the team. skill wise legein and maroon should hopefully be able to fill the holes losing those guys created but its the pyschological effect of selling them the flyers family rhetoric and then treating them like theyre replaceable that i think has them screwed up

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:21 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I miss Sami

Old
12-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I just saw this team called the "Legion of Gloom." That sums it up nicely.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

In case it was missed elsewhere. I didn't know if this thread would get on topic or what...

2009-10 ACTUAL through 35 games
Top 6 forwards (plus the random injured guy): Carter, Richards, JVR, Hartnell, Briere, Giroux, Gagne
First 17 games: 35-55-90 +18
Next 18 games: 25-27-52 -20
---
Bottom 6 forwards (plus the healthy scratch): Powe, Asham, Lappy, Carcillo, Betts, Pyorala, Laliberte (stuck with him because of lack of production elsewhere)
First 17 games: 15-9-24 +13
Next 18 games: 3-6-9 -22
---
The 6 defensemen (plus the scratch/injured guy): Pronger, Timonen, Carle, Coburn, OKT, Parent, Syvret/Bartulis
First 17 games: 10-44-54 +20 (with Syvret)
Next 18 games: 5-20-25 -21 (with Bartulis)
---
First 17 games, team: 62 GF (3.65 per game); 43 GA (2.53 per game)
Next 18 games, team: 33 GF (1.83 per game); 60 GA (3.33 per game)
2009-10 PROJECTED (by pace after 17 games)
Top 6 (plus hurt guy): 169-265-434 +87
Bottom 6 (plus scratch): 72-43-115 +63
Defense (6 plus scratch): 48-212-260 +96
Team: 299 GF; 208 GA
---
2009-10 PROJECTED (by pace after 35 games)
Top 6 (plus hurt guy): 141-192-333 (-5)
Bottom 6 (plus scratch): 42-35-77 (-21)
Defense (6 plus scratch): 35-150-185 (-2)
Team: 223 GF; 241 GA
2008-09 ACTUAL through 82 games
Top 6 forwards (plus the random injured guy): Carter, Richards, Gagne, Hartnell, Lupul, Knuble, Briere
203-217-420 +85
---
Bottom 6 forwards (plus the healthy scratch): Giroux, Asham, Carcillo, Powe, Nodl, Cote, Gratton
28-54-82 (-37)
---
The 6 defensemen (plus the scratch/injured guy): Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Alberts, Jones, Sbisa, Parent
20-109-129 +40
---
Team: 264 GF (3.22 per game); 238 GA (2.90 per game)

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:36 AM
bstreetbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

UPDATE: 19 more posts since this idiotic one.....looks like your assessment has once again.......

FAILED

bstreetbully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:18 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreetbully View Post
UPDATE: 19 more posts since this idiotic one.....looks like your assessment has once again.......

FAILED
Stop being a bully!

Old
12-23-2009, 06:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

FAILED
Let's just clarify.

That's an opinion, not a FACT:

Old
12-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

FAILED
LOL. You have 14 posts and half of them exist solely to make yourself look like a jackass. Which, while an admirable goal, I guess, is already an established fact and you no longer need to waste any more posts to try and convince people. But, please, continue giving everyone updates on the post count in this thread. It's really an uplifting experience to witness such douchbaggery. It's really what the holiday's are all about.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I just saw this team called the "Legion of Gloom." That sums it up nicely.
2009-2010 Philadelphia Flyers: The Legion of Gloom

I like it. I need to get a shirt made.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
2009-2010 Philadelphia Flyers: The Legion of Gloom

I like it. I need to get a shirt made.
you wont

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Wolfy

The real reason is lack of motivation. Homer killed it when he fired Stevens. Good Bye Playoffs.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
The real reason is lack of motivation. Homer killed it when he fired Stevens. Good Bye Playoffs.
I think its just not enough OKT!

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post
I think its just not enough OKT!
True enough. Funny thing is when he's in the lineup they always win, he better get that knee ready in a hurry

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
True enough. Funny thing is when he's in the lineup they always win, he better get that knee ready in a hurry
It's odd that he hurt it, what with all the exercise he gives it. He's always on his knees blowing the game...

Old
12-23-2009, 12:46 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Chemistry (or lack thereof) is one of the greatest contributors to team success. Unfortunately, it's also one of the hardest factors to predict.

With Upshall, Phoenix is now 22-13-2, whereas they were 16-14-5 at this point last season. Playing on the top line, Upshall leads Phoenix in goals, game-winning goals, shooting %, and even strength points. Last year, Phoenix lost many of its close games; this year, they are winning them.

Coincidental or not, the Capitals are seeing much more secondary scoring with Knuble in the lineup; they have 10 players with 6+ goals and six players with 9+ goals. Knuble's screens are directly responsible for a number of those goals; above average shots from second liners that were seen and blocked last year are going in because the goalie doesn't see them coming. Knuble has also provided veteran leadership in the locker room and is usually the first person interviewed after a win or loss.
Yep, and conincidental or not, they started to go downhill around the time Upshall was moved...and we all know Knuble was that first guy interviewed with us as well....I think both of these guys are truly missed, in addition to Lupul and Biron who was known as the jokester in the lockerroom and was a well liked guy....But instead of keeping Knuble, we had a billion tied up in dmen, and signed guys like Lappy, Betts, Pyro and OKT....Dont get me wrong, I love what Betts and Lappy have brought to the team and I am glad they are here, but with Lappy here, do we need Asha (even though I like him) If you waive Asham and not sign Pyro, that is a little over $1 million there...there were other moves that could have been made to keep Knuble on this team.

Homer is falling into the NEW YORK mentality of just throwing pieces together whether they fit or not. It must stop now, get rid of the dead weight and let the young guys come up next year that are ready and let this team grow AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think knowing who your players are and how they think and interact is as much a part of being the gm as knowing what thier skills sets are. i honestly believe the dismantling of the core group cut the heart out of the team. skill wise legein and maroon should hopefully be able to fill the holes losing those guys created but its the pyschological effect of selling them the flyers family rhetoric and then treating them like theyre replaceable that i think has them screwed up
Couldnt agree more, and not to pat myself on the back or anything, but this was the first thing I mentioned when Upshall was moved....but of course everyone goes ape **** and think you are nuthugging some third line player when it wasnt the on ice performance I was worried about with losing him.

Do I mean that if Upshall was here we wouldnt suck??? Of course not, but I think that is when the chemistry started to go downhill....and then losing Knuble and Biron killed it....Two new, very strong personalities come in with Pronger and Lappy and boom...issues. They were masked by a few players being very hot at the beginning of the year like Emery, Carle, etc. and then when injuries hit and this team came back down to earth all hell broke loose.

We are unfortunately starting from scratch now and I just want to see progress, I dont care about playoffs or anything at the moment. Just progress. I think Lavi will be very good for this team, once he has time to make it his team.

Quote:
Yeah, because they didnt suck and look unmotivated under Stevens....Wow you are clueless.

Below .500 since the midpoint of last season....were really motivated in game 6 of the playoffs last year didnt they

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post

Couldnt agree more, and not to pat myself on the back or anything, but this was the first thing I mentioned when Upshall was moved....but of course everyone goes ape **** and think you are nuthugging some third line player when it wasnt the on ice performance I was worried about with losing him.
If losing a drinking buddy wounds the egos of these guys so much that they are no longer effective hockey players than none of them ever deserves to make the playoffs let alone with the Stanley Cup. It's a ****ing business.

Old
12-23-2009, 12:57 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If losing a drinking buddy wounds the egos of these guys so much that they are no longer effective hockey players than none of them ever deserves to make the playoffs let alone with the Stanley Cup. It's a ****ing business.
I think you're missing Mike's point. It's not that their egos were wounded and they pouted when he was traded.

Upshall's offensive stats aren't going to win a team anything. But I think the "us against the world" mentality took a hit when he was traded.

They stood up for each other on the ice, and they knew Upshall would stand up for them. I'm not sure there are many on this team right now who absolutely know who has their back. I'm also hoping that changes in a hell of a hurry, but it's going to take a bit of confidence that comes with winning to get there.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote