HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

27th Obsequious Banter Thread: Cobain, Morrison, Hendrix, Pigpen, Joplin, Our Season

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
TheDrizzle81

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
He was murdered! Murdered I say!

I'm a big Nirvana fan. Them and the Grateful Dead are my two favorite bands. Kindof opposite sides of the spectrum.

But I never much cared for Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains. Im not sure why.
Eddie Vedder is only understood by sea animals.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
This. haha.

Anyone else anal about organizing their iTunes (or other software) libraries? I keep that **** more organized then pretty much everything else I can think of. Even ripped songs have correct artist and song titles as well as proper capitalization, album artwork and track info (tuneup for itunes helped with the last two).

For some reason, lowercase words and missing album artwork piss me the **** off.
Totally. I hate when I down load a song and it has the wrong artist as having done it. I'm very anal about the whole thing.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:45 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Same. Only a few things I've let slide. Also, some of the stuff I get rips with _ instead of spaces, I'll let that slide. Otherwise, if iTunes can't find the artwork, I get it and manually add it.

And on that note, time for some Megadeth.
Cue the only man alive who can save this team:
WARNING: FRISKY LINGO!!

Cant forget this:

Old
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post
You forgot Nascar. Apparently, thats a sport by ways of country music. I dont know how singing horribly, with a pitchy voice about tractors, your best friend (dog), and horses has such an appeal. Bring Back Johnny Cash.
How can you like Johnny Cash but not country music? He sang about pretty much the same stuff these guys are singing about today. Getting drunk, falling in love, etc. Country music is great. My favorite music is punk rock and country comes right in there in second. It's the same as punk rock just with a different type of guitar.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Two guys in Green Man suits caught the attention of the cameras covering the Preds/Canucks game in Vancouver last night. They were sitting beside the Nashville penalty box and had several players chuckling at their antics.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:47 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How can you like Johnny Cash but not country music? He sang about pretty much the same stuff these guys are singing about today. Getting drunk, falling in love, etc. Country music is great. My favorite music is punk rock and country comes right in there in second. It's the same as punk rock just with a different type of guitar.
I'm willing to bet it's the weird inflections on the vocals. That's what keeps me from liking country.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Totally. I hate when I down load a song and it has the wrong artist as having done it. I'm very anal about the whole thing.
Sign me up for that. I hate that crap!

Old
12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
More than just a guitar. You cant compare Johnny Cash and todays country music. Totally different. Its like Rap. Old Rap, A tribe Called quest, NWO, etc etc. compared to Lil wayne? Its not the same.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
IAN aka RYAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I'm willing to bet it's the weird inflections on the vocals. That's what keeps me from liking country.
Thats pretty much it, the songwriting also. Talking about love and getting drunk is pretty much in every genre of music, its all how you write about it. Johnny Cash = Talented. Country Artists today? C'mon, talking about your tractors and riding horses?

EDIT: Im not going to argue about it really... All music is solid, I just like some more than others. END

Old
12-23-2009, 10:54 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
That's like a few country guys from the 70's. Guys today don't sound anything like that.

Quote:
More than just a guitar. You cant compare Johnny Cash and todays country music. Totally different. Its like Rap. Old Rap, A tribe Called quest, NWO, etc etc. compared to Lil wayne? Its not the same.
Of course you can. What is different about Johnny Cash and today's country? Johnny Cash sings songs about getting drunk, falling in love, God, and other "country" stuff. That's pretty much what guys today are singing about. There are some songs that stray from that, but for the most part its about drinking, fighting, and ****ing. Just like punk rock (though punk rock doesn't involve much God talk, unless it's NOFX talking about how there is no God).

Old
12-23-2009, 10:55 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
You forgot Nascar. Apparently, thats a sport by ways of country music. I dont know how singing horribly, with a pitchy voice about tractors, your best friend (dog), and horses has such an appeal. Bring Back Johnny Cash.
People like you are so clueless about music. I've had numerous friends like you that now love country music. I get in their car....92.5 on the radio, always.

Most people start to enjoy it as they get older. Could be why some of the younger posters on here dont like it. Not saying im oldbut still, i've liked it since i was a little kid.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:56 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I'm just going out on a limb here but I would say the difference is Country music has a lot more of that horrible twangy guitar sound than Cash. Also, far to many country songs have lyrics that are are literal stories. I don't think most of Cash's songs suffer from that.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I have never liked, or never will like country music and I am older then many of you on this board. give me blues, classic rock any day of the week over country music.
Id rather get a root canal then listen to country music

edit: I should add I "listened" to Willie Nelson sing while I was at woodstock99, of course I was hungover and was barely conscious lol

Old
12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
IAN aka RYAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
People like you are so clueless about music. I've had numerous friends like you that now love country music. I get in their car....92.5 on the radio, always.

Most people start to enjoy it as they get older. Could be why some of the younger posters on here dont like it. Not saying im oldbut still, i've liked it since i was a little kid.
Most people like you are clueless about music that think EVERYONE should like country music. I cant stand 95% of country music. Now can i tolerate some of the songs yes, are some of them good, yes. But ill throw in some Slayer or Iron Maiden instead.

And the only time 92.5 would EVER be on my radio is bc my dad borrowed my car. 98.1 > 92.5

Old
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Of course you can. What is different about Johnny Cash and today's country? Johnny Cash sings songs about getting drunk, falling in love, God, and other "country" stuff. That's pretty much what guys today are singing about. There are some songs that stray from that, but for the most part its about drinking, fighting, and ****ing. Just like punk rock (though punk rock doesn't involve much God talk, unless it's NOFX talking about how there is no God).
The outlaw country movement of the 1960s is entirely removed from the Nashville scene that dominates music today. I could go into a long explanation of the many, many reasons why but, seriously, just take my word for it. Corporate Nashville has dominated country music since the 1980s and very little remains as to what country music once was. Sure, there are still some amazing alt-country acts (Ryan Adams, Wilco) but mainstream country is just, well, vapid. It's popular for the same reason that Nickelback is... it appeals to the lowest common denominator and doesn't require much brain power.

And, to be honest, and I'm not trying to be mean, but if you think that Johnny Cash just sang about stereotypically country topics then you aren't well-versed in his songwriting style or career.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM
TheDrizzle81

IM ok with country theres some good stuff out there, it could be worse i could be forced to listen to that lady gaga garbage.....

Old
12-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Country music and Nascar FTW! I love being a redneck at heart.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:09 AM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Jim Morrison is seriously the ****ing MAN though.

I hold him in higher regard than Hendrix. He was a crazy ****ing guy, and it was amazing.
http://www.viruscomix.com/page499.html

Old
12-23-2009, 11:12 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The outlaw country movement of the 1960s is entirely removed from the Nashville scene that dominates music today. I could go into a long explanation of the many, many reasons why but, seriously, just take my word for it. Corporate Nashville has dominated country music since the 1980s and very little remains as to what country music once was. Sure, there are still some amazing alt-country acts (Ryan Adams, Wilco) but mainstream country is just, well, vapid. It's popular for the same reason that Nickelback is... it appeals to the lowest common denominator and doesn't require much brain power.

And, to be honest, and I'm not trying to be mean, but if you think that Johnny Cash just sang about stereotypically country topics then you aren't well-versed in his songwriting style or career.
Well said Val. Taylor Swift and all her ilk? Please... pure, unadulterated crap.

Most of Cash's songs (and most of the best songs of any genre) are stories - based on love or love gone wrong.

I can think of one country song in the past 20 years that refers to a tractor. One.

You guys need to research some Waylon, Merle, Hank, even Kristoffersen, and get back to me and tell me about tractors.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
IAN aka RYAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
IM ok with country theres some good stuff out there, it could be worse i could be forced to listen to that lady gaga garbage.....
The only reason id tolerate that garbage, is that it makes the ladies move.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Country music and Nascar FTW! I love being a redneck at heart.
I remeber NASCAR in the 90's country all the time lol.

ESPN sucks. Nothing says fail more than a NASCAR race/show being taken to comercial by Bad Romance by Lady Gaga with a Jimmie Johnson montage..........

Old
12-23-2009, 11:17 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
The only reason id tolerate that garbage, is that it makes the ladies move.
I agree. My GF listens to everything. The other day we had a 3 song stretch of Metallica, Garth Brooks and Rihanna. Wow. lol. I only deal with that pop crap is for her lol.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:18 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
All my friends in punk bands simultaneously face palm.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:19 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
The outlaw country movement of the 1960s is entirely removed from the Nashville scene that dominates music today.

Indeed. Cash was a bad***, not some pop singer with twangier vocals. That's why most punk rockers will tip their caps to Cash while reviling the modern country music "scene".

If anything, the soul of 60's country music lives on in modern rockabilly and psychobilly, rather than these Billboard "cowboys". In my opinion.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:

David Allan Coe <3

You know Val.

PS. Southern Rock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Country. By a billion.

Closed Thread