HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Laviolette working these guys to death in practice?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2009, 04:07 PM
  #51
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Absolutely not. These are professional athletes. If they can't deal with working hard in practice then working hard in a game, they shouldn't be professional athletes. Their lack of effort and laziness likely has to do with the losing. It's a cycle. They are losing because they are lazy and they are lazy and not motivated because they are losing. Once the wins start up again, I think the team will be ok. But getting those wins going is not going to be easy (although this stretch of games could be just what the doctor ordered).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:24 PM
  #52
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm sure these guys can pull off more goals than the Flyers:

no ****ing way!!! that is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:44 PM
  #53
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,548
vCash: 500
So I read that they couldn't practice today in Tampa because of a sewage leak in the locker room. It's too easy to crack a joke about that

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:50 PM
  #54
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Not sure where else to post this, but Richards and Carter just interviewed on CSN:

Richards: "Confidence goes a long way, when you have confidence you can do almost anything on the ice, when you don't it's really hard to do things."

Carter: (Was asked "How are you going to get out of this slump") "I don't know, but we better get it started now because we're digging ourselves one hell of a hole."


Those answers piss me the **** off personally.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
  #55
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
So I read that they couldn't practice today in Tampa because of a sewage leak in the locker room. It's too easy to crack a joke about that
Day Late and A Dollar Short

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
  #56
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Absolutely not. These are professional athletes. If they can't deal with working hard in practice then working hard in a game, they shouldn't be professional athletes. Their lack of effort and laziness likely has to do with the losing. It's a cycle. They are losing because they are lazy and they are lazy and not motivated because they are losing. Once the wins start up again, I think the team will be ok. But getting those wins going is not going to be easy (although this stretch of games could be just what the doctor ordered).
You are intelligent sir!

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:20 PM
  #57
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Not sure where else to post this, but Richards and Carter just interviewed on CSN:

Richards: "Confidence goes a long way, when you have confidence you can do almost anything on the ice, when you don't it's really hard to do things."

Carter: (Was asked "How are you going to get out of this slump") "I don't know, but we better get it started now because we're digging ourselves one hell of a hole."


Those answers piss me the **** off personally.
Yeah, get the **** out of here with that honesty!

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:23 PM
  #58
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Yeah, get the **** out of here with that honesty!
Maybe they can just say I personally suck right now, that would be honesty. Not blaming **** on confidence and saying I don't know what's wrong.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:26 PM
  #59
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,077
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Maybe they can just say I personally suck right now, that would be honesty. Not blaming **** on confidence and saying I don't know what's wrong.
You didn't post the question asked to Richards, but his answer speaks to how he, personally, has looked on the ice: no confidence. Seems pretty honest to me.

Carter was asked how the team was supposed to get out of the slump. He said he didn't know. Pretty honest, considering they probably would be out of the slump if they knew exactly how to break it.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:27 PM
  #60
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Maybe they can just say I personally suck right now, that would be honesty. Not blaming **** on confidence and saying I don't know what's wrong.
If they had confidence or knew what was wrong, they'd be out there putting that to use and winning hockey games.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
  #61
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
You didn't post the question asked to Richards, but his answer speaks to how he, personally, has looked on the ice: no confidence. Seems pretty honest to me.
They didn't show what Richards was asked btw.

It was one of those DNL clips where they cut to Boruk interviewing them in the locker room. The first clip went right to Richards saying that, second clip had Boruk asking what they would do to get out of it.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:42 PM
  #62
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,446
vCash: 5872
Either get it down, or get out. No time for anything less. Time to have new system this down.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:15 PM
  #63
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggemon Destiny View Post
If a team has glaring weaknesses (e.g. goaltending, special teams or whatever it is), then working their ***** off in practice by doing skating drills or whatever it is will not make a difference until those weaknesses are adequately addressed. In fact, it can make the situation worse.
best. avatar. ever.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:19 PM
  #64
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
They have far less time available for practice than people think. I'm not sure they could be worked into the ground even in PL wanted to do that.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:24 AM
  #65
sickamore
 
sickamore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quit pretending these guys have a shot at winning it all this year, put a hurtin' on them in practice so they like playing games and hopefully the system is a solid one so they can come out next year and actually compete. Unfortunately Holmgren is an idiot and will make a stupid trade, or similar stupid moves and then that new group of guys won't have learned the lessons of this season and it'll take that much more to get them playing together, as a team.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
  #66
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
They have far less time available for practice than people think. I'm not sure they could be worked into the ground even in PL wanted to do that.
And what do people think? All it takes is one off day. If a team has 3 home games every other day over 5 days...you have two wide open off days. A coach could do whatever he wanted with those days...for instance, bag skating them for six or eight hours.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:23 AM
  #67
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,285
vCash: 500
Laviolette is simply a pissed off coach. You should expect a lot of yelling if you don't do exactly what he wants, and I don't think the players like that, being used to Stevens who was always very calm.


Last edited by Wolfy: 12-23-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
  #68
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Funny how the tune has morphed now that it has become apparent that the core issues aren't System. And don't say Laviolette hasn't had time to install his System because Stevens had no System and so any elements of any System would be an improvement, especially if the new System is a Cup System, which it must be, since Laviolette is a Cup Winner.

But there has been no improvement so errrrr ummmm uhhhhh --- they aren't in shape because Stevens let them dillydally for three years. What nonsense, that.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:35 PM
  #69
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
And what do people think? All it takes is one off day. If a team has 3 home games every other day over 5 days...you have two wide open off days. A coach could do whatever he wanted with those days...for instance, bag skating them for six or eight hours.
It's easy to talk like that but this isn't a High School team. The fact is that they have had very few non-travel days to practice and PL has a long way to go to even have every on the team on the same page. Sure, he'll single some guys out but the practice time they have is so minimal that it has to be devoted towards learning, not bag skating.

The team will have off the next few days for Christmas and then they are on the road so practice time will be pretty scarce for the next few weeks just like it was for the last few weeks.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:38 PM
  #70
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Funny how the tune has morphed now that it has become apparent that the core issues aren't System. And don't say Laviolette hasn't had time to install his System because Stevens had no System and so any elements of any System would be an improvement, especially if the new System is a Cup System, which it must be, since Laviolette is a Cup Winner.

But there has been no improvement so errrrr ummmm uhhhhh --- they aren't in shape because Stevens let them dillydally for three years. What nonsense, that.
I was a huge hater of Stevens. I think it's pretty obvious that this is mostly on the players. They have no confidence and they are obviously just not getting things done, but that doesn't change the fact that Stevens simply didn't have a true system...

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:46 PM
  #71
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
It's easy to talk like that but this isn't a High School team. The fact is that they have had very few non-travel days to practice and PL has a long way to go to even have every on the team on the same page. Sure, he'll single some guys out but the practice time they have is so minimal that it has to be devoted towards learning, not bag skating.

The team will have off the next few days for Christmas and then they are on the road so practice time will be pretty scarce for the next few weeks just like it was for the last few weeks.
I'm not saying they should be bag skating rather than learning, and I'm not saying they've had tons of off time. I'm saying that in these recent games they've been more a mess than ever, tired legs have played a part, and again, one day is all a coach needs if he wants to work over his players...if Lavi had wanted to he could've been skating the hell out of them on the 18th and the 20th. And you're right, it's not a high school team...the player's parents aren't going to be calling if Lavi works them over too hard or for too long. It's just a possibility that couldn't help but cross my mind with the recent events that have been taking place.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:48 PM
  #72
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I'm not saying they should be bag skating rather than learning, and I'm not saying they've had tons of off time. I'm saying that in these recent games they've been more a mess than ever, tired legs have played a part, and again, one day is all a coach needs if he wants to work over his players...if Lavi had wanted to he could've been skating the hell out of them on the 18th and the 20th. And you're right, it's not a high school team...the player's parents aren't going to be calling if Lavi works them over too hard or for too long. It's just a possibility that couldn't help but cross my mind with the recent events that have been taking place.
The solution to this would have been to hire PL before training camp when he could have done everything that you want him to do.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:58 PM
  #73
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The solution to this would have been to hire PL before training camp when he could have done everything that you want him to do.
Hell yeah. With training camp and all the breaks this team had early on, they had oodles of time to learn PL's systems.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:14 PM
  #74
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I was a huge hater of Stevens. I think it's pretty obvious that this is mostly on the players. They have no confidence and they are obviously just not getting things done, but that doesn't change the fact that Stevens simply didn't have a true system...
Players certainly need to play better, but the problem with JXC's thesis there is that it is completely out of line with reality. Including a full training camp, it takes teams a couple of months to settle into what they are doing. The first 20 or so games of the NHL season are always messy and disorganized...it isn't until December/January that teams settle into what they are doing and you really get to see who has what it takes.

So, to believe that Laviolette...new to the team, in an every other day game schedule has had "enough time" to put his system in place is simply false. Moreover, as he's been here and they've been putting in more, you've seen areas of their game regress as everyone is not on the same page and you have the vestiges of what they were doing previously popping up, paired with guys not being completely comfortable with where they or anyone else is going.

Moreover, JXC doesn't seem to grasp that certain styles of play require different fitness levels. Playing a more aggressive forecheck (which we've seen with the two forwards going deep) means that those guys are going to be skating a lot more. Having the defenders more activated up ice...means that those guys are going to be skating a lot more. They were certainly "in shape" under Stevens, but that doesn't mean they were at a level that would allow them to do this routine without getting winded.

All that being said...the real issue is simply getting the special teams figured out. Whatever has gone wrong from the first 15 games needs to be addressed. They start scoring on the PP, it will get everyone feeling better. Additionally, they need to concentrate on simple things and understanding the basics of where everyone is going to be. The 3rd forward is playing higher in the zone now...the guys down low need to be aware of that (so blindly centering the puck below the dots is going to the other team most of the time). Stuff like that.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:38 PM
  #75
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Did anyone else hear that due to a sewage leak the Flyers had to cancel practice? That's not helping the situation.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.