HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dec. 23rd curse Over Habs win 5-1

Old
12-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Solid win over a horrible team.

Halak was sharp. No one really played poorly outside of Dagostini and Laraque in limited minutes.

Despite most shots being harmless, still way too many. Its getting beyond ridiculous. I don't care if the shots don't appear dangerous because at some point they add up and goalies aren't going to be as flawless as Halak was on rebound control as he was tonight. Pure odds and dumb luck are going to burn you at some point.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
On the other hand, everyone who said "we need at least 3 wins on this road trip" can probably have a pretty relaxed Christmas.
Not yet for me,I said minimum of 11 pts,we're halfway there

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
what he said?
Just that. He made the joke that the Habs' system is to allow the other team to stay in the Habs' zone to tire them out, and that at 7:15 PM each guy is told to take a spot in the defensive zone and not move from there.

He was kidding, but there's a big and worrying kernel of truth there.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:27 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Despite most shots being harmless, still way too many. Its getting beyond ridiculous.
Well, allowing 40 shots in an over-early 5-1 win, by itself, is not cause for concern at all. As Martin himself pointed out, teams that are ahead big tend to allow a lot of low-percentage shot. The worrying trend is that it's three straight 40+ shot games.

All wins, mind...

Old
12-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Something I don't like about this board, it's the only thing I don't like but does anyone else wonder why the PGT after a win is way less active than after a loss? It's like the fans here on HF boards are happier to criticize the team after a loss than to gloat after a win.
Strangely the convo is much better now than after a loss too. I think wins weed out the armchair Habs fans or something.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:32 PM
MathMan

Before tonight, Montreal was #1 in the league for road power play.

After tonight, Montreal is once again first in the entire league on the power play. 24.6%. Brings back good memories, doesn't it?

My personal off-season recipe for the Habs becoming a great team was maintaining special teams excellence, especially the best-in-league power play, then gradually improving the 5-on-5 game. For all my criticism of Martin's coaching, he's certainly brought the team back to the point where the first part is accomplished in spades. Let's move to the second part now...

Old
12-23-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:

After tonight, Montreal is once again first in the entire league on the power play. 24.6%. Brings back good memories, doesn't it?

My personal off-season recipe for the Habs becoming a great team was maintaining special teams excellence, especially the best-in-league power play, then gradually improving the 5-on-5 game. For all my criticism of Martin's coaching, he's certainly brought the team back to the point where the first part is accomplished in spades. Let's move to the second part now...
It was true 2 years ago and it's proving true this year...the PP fuels the Habs. The more deadly the Habs are on the PP, the more room they'll get in the offensive zone cause teams don't want to take penalties against them. I'm at that point where like 2 years ago, when the Habs are on the PP, i'm 100% confident they're going to score

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

Yes sir.

This almost deserves its own thread!

If you ask me with all the injuries what you just said speaks wonders about JM as a coach.

Old
12-23-2009, 09:37 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Thank you Math Man, if our team can score more on the PP and stay top ten on the PK, our 5 on 5 will improve with Gionta back so things are starting to look more like playoffs.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Thank you Math Man, if our team can score more on the PP and stay top ten on the PK, our 5 on 5 will improve with Gionta back so things are starting to look more like playoffs.
add great goaltending to the mix and voila...

Old
12-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Souvenirs

Markov DOES make wonders for this team. I'm saying this because people were posting that Markov wouldn't make that big of a difference (or maybe this was posted after a loss and was part of the whining this board has to endure after one)
Our special teams were already doing pretty good and now they're dominant, and our play 5 on 5 is slowly improving. We're still giving up lots of shots but tonight they didn't reflect the game at all, and maybe that's what this team is going to be. One that gets out-shot but limits most of them to the perimeter. It's kinda playing with fire but it looks like it works.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:43 PM
MathMan

Markov is great, arguably the best PP QB on the planet, but Montreal's PP was improving before he even showed up. Markov ratcheted it up from "great" to "insane" though.

Old
12-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Markov is great, but Montreal's PP was improving before he even showed up. Markov ratcheted it up from "great" to "insane" though.
8/13 since his return

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

After the Canes game, the Habs odds to make the playoffs are up to 33.9% (roughly 1 in 3)... It's the first time since very early this season that we've got such a good shot at the postseason.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Markov is great, arguably the best PP QB on the planet, but Montreal's PP was improving before he even showed up. Markov ratcheted it up from "great" to "insane" though.
Unquesitonably IMO...there's no one better. Gonchar, Green, Boyle, Lidstrom are also great, but look at what Markov does with inferior talent. The Habs PP has been a force the last 4 years despite many players being shifted in and out of it.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:55 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
With Markov returning we can see his value to our team and let's hope we extend him for a good few years at a good price. The transition game is going to improve as we go with him back. I would not be comfortable without him going into the playoffs.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:55 PM
McNuts

Habs #1 on the powerplay, #7 on the P.K.

And that's a good thing because we are by far the team with the least powerplay opportunities (118) AND most penalty kills (174)

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Lizard King*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
He's so useless.

To Carolina:
D'Agostini

To MTL:
Kostopoulos
Where do I sign?

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:00 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Habs #1 on the powerplay, #7 on the P.K.

And that's a good thing because we are by far the team with the least powerplay opportunities (118) AND most penalty kills (174)
I'd be curious to see what the league season record is for PPs for/against... We might be able to catch it?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Lizard King*

Feels good to have a blowout victory once in a while

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:

One thing that seems to be a constant :

Markov + Souray = lethal
Markov + Streit = lethal
Markov + MAB = lethal

It seems that when we have a D that can move the puck well and another that can fire bombs we have a lot of success.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:14 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
One thing that seems to be a constant :

Markov + Souray = lethal
Markov + Streit = lethal
Markov + MAB = lethal

It seems that when we have a D that can move the puck well and another that can fire bombs we have a lot of success.
You could even add Schneider in there as well, I can't remember the stats off the top of my head... But I do believe we we're amongst the best in the league after his arrival.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
Feels good to have a blowout victory once in a while
Indeed. A bit of an oddity.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Pascal

gl re-signing Plek.. That Gomez contract and Gainey not extending Plek last yr at a bargain price is going to bite us in the ass big time unless he can pull off some cap magic.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
gl re-signing Plek.. That Gomez contract and Gainey not extending Plek last yr at a bargain price is going to bite us in the ass big time unless he can pull off some cap magic.
Think about it this way though: Plek is playing out of his MIND this year, does anyone really believe he can play at this level for a long time (ie many seasons).

I love him, but I honestly don't see him being more than a 75-80 point 1A/1B center AT BEST in his career, I think this is a huge anomaly for him, the season he's having, and while I don't doubt his talent, I doubt whether or not he'll be able to reproduce this magic.

If we do end up trading him, we could probably get a significant return...not saying I want to, but if it comes to that (if we're out of a po spot, which we won't, so no need to discuss this )....

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote