HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dec. 23rd curse Over Habs win 5-1

Old
12-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
This is the first time in a long time our opponent didn't have more powerplays than us. Progress.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

A little bit OT but Ovechkin is just ridiculous.

One more point than Pleks (44) in 10 less games played. The guy is just an animal.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:32 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
A little bit OT but Ovechkin is just ridiculous.

One more point than Pleks (44) in 10 less games played. The guy is just an animal.
He will go down as the most prolific goal scorer in the history of the game... I don't mean to take away from some of the old greats, but this guy is a scoring machine. Scoring is so much harder now then it was in the high-flying 80s.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
He will go down as the most prolific goal scorer in the history of the game... I don't mean to take away from some of the old greats, but this guy is a scoring machine. Scoring is so much harder now then it was in the high-flying 80s.
I wouldn't go as far as saying "the" most prolific scorer in history (he could though , i'm not saying it's impossible) but he certainly has the potential to rank amongst the greats.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:35 PM
totalrecall

are we still 2nd in PP? (nhl)

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:36 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalrecall View Post
are we still 2nd in PP? (nhl)
were 1st

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:47 PM
totalrecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66lemieux View Post
were 1st
I can't say that without laughing. We are pp monsters

Old
12-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
That was impressive, total domination in the first. Both Andrei's are making me cream my pants. Has Kostitsyn finally broken out? He looks pretty darn great out there. Markov is the system, has been since the lockout. Top PP in the league and one of the best PKs too, that's generally the key to success in the NHL. This often looks like a mediocre team, but top 10 in PK and PP pretty much means playoff team.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:52 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
lool i started reading it from bottom to top
the top one killed it

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Think about it this way though: Plek is playing out of his MIND this year, does anyone really believe he can play at this level for a long time (ie many seasons).

I love him, but I honestly don't see him being more than a 75-80 point 1A/1B center AT BEST in his career, I think this is a huge anomaly for him, the season he's having, and while I don't doubt his talent, I doubt whether or not he'll be able to reproduce this magic.

If we do end up trading him, we could probably get a significant return...not saying I want to, but if it comes to that (if we're out of a po spot, which we won't, so no need to discuss this )....
Also, what has to be noted is that it took Plekanec 8 years (since he was drafted) to elevate his game and be among the top players in the NHL. And fans throwing the towel at young players after one bad season...

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:58 PM
hockey_nut

Didn't get to see the game, but glad we won... curious as to how Pouliot performed. Any thoughts on his play?

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Erik Estrada

I'd like to get player stats like:
-shots against/minute at ES/PK/PP
-shots for/minute at ES/PK/PP
...to help isolate the factors that contribute to the huge shots for/against discrepancies.

An example of a potential factor is Ryan O'Byrne, in the 20 games he played this season we were outshot 18 times. In the 19 games he didn't play, we outshot or equaled our opponent 11 times. Is that a factor? What are the other factors in play?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:04 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
Didn't get to see the game, but glad we won... curious as to how Pouliot performed. Any thoughts on his play?
I thought he was good. Made some nice smart plays out there, and kept it pretty simple. His best shift was on a 4 on 4 after the Carolina too many men penalty I thought. Good in one on one battles, nice reach and uses his size to seperate the puck, good speed as well.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:23 AM
totalrecall

Ok who said Leafs will be higher than Habs before Christmas?

Old
12-24-2009, 01:01 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well, allowing 40 shots in an over-early 5-1 win, by itself, is not cause for concern at all. As Martin himself pointed out, teams that are ahead big tend to allow a lot of low-percentage shot. The worrying trend is that it's three straight 40+ shot games.

All wins, mind...
The problem with this is if they allow 40+ shots versus top tier teams (San Jose, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, New Jersey, etc) they won't have as much luck with this "system". Out of the 3 teams they just played only Kovalchuk and perhaps Staal are the only great shooters they faced. All those teams aren't great, but I AM happy we just beat them as we should. The good thing about this 7 game road trip is it's possible to run the table given the teams they play such as Toronto, Ottawa, Tampa, and Florida. While none are given victories, I like the Habs chances of going 7 for 7. They do that and you'll see a significant jump in the standings.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:04 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
The problem with this is if they allow 40+ shots versus top tier teams (San Jose, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, New Jersey, etc) they won't have as much luck with this "system". Out of the 3 teams they just played only Kovalchuk and perhaps Staal are the only great shooters they faced. All those teams aren't great, but I AM happy we just beat them as we should. The good thing about this 7 game road trip is it's possible to run the table given the teams they play such as Toronto, Ottawa, Tampa, and Florida. While none are given victories, I like the Habs chances of going 7 for 7. They do that and you'll see a significant jump in the standings.
I don't know if that would happen or not, but it would be huge. Even if they win 3 of the next four...that sets them up for a real nice streak because then they play 5 of the next 6 games at home.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:06 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
That was impressive, total domination in the first. Both Andrei's are making me cream my pants. Has Kostitsyn finally broken out? He looks pretty darn great out there. Markov is the system, has been since the lockout. Top PP in the league and one of the best PKs too, that's generally the key to success in the NHL. This often looks like a mediocre team, but top 10 in PK and PP pretty much means playoff team.
I think the big thing about Andrei Kost. recent jump is that he began using his body more and playing more physical many games before he found his scoring touch. I'm sure the coaches told him since the goals aren't coming to perhaps play physical and the goals will come. That's what he's done. He's much more aggressive than I've seen him out there and the hard work has paid off. He's a big guy with great hands and a big shot. He's using that size and physicality to his advantage now. He now knows what it takes much like Pleks. Interesting what happens when a player adds another dynamic to their game how different he seems and what it can do for him.

Last edited by LesHabsRock: 12-24-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old
12-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its nice to see the habs put up five goals. But I'd like to thank Halak for keeping the scoreline comfortable. He made so many point blank saves again and I get the feeling that we almost take those saves for granted now.

Pouliot was alright. When looking at his previous videos, he reminded me alot of pacioretty, and I have to admit that I got confused tonight at times when trying to figure out if it was pouliot or pacioretty on the ice.

I remember the 4 on 4 where metro had the puck and pouliot parked himself in front of the net and caused havoc. Again, if he plays a pacioretty style (which he did tonight), he will fit in just fine.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recchi29 View Post
Sounds good to me, now we need sucker to take Laraque
and guess who would be the suckers the next time we would face the Bruins...

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:12 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't know if that would happen or not, but it would be huge. Even if they win 3 of the next four...that sets them up for a real nice streak because then they play 5 of the next 6 games at home.
I really think it's possible given the level of competition. Yes, the Leafs give us a hard time no matter the standings and they always say those Florida/Tampa road trips are tough for the players, but they are still very beatable teams who are below us in the standings. Ottawa is ahead, but their players are dropping like flies due to injury. Alfredsson may now be out. Heck, even if they split the next 4 road games this road trip is still a huge success. Most people had this road trip circled as the "make it or break it" road trip. Either they'd fall drastically in the standings if they laid an egg or they'd climb well into a playoff spot with a winning record. Already a success and I believe it will continue.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:18 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
ROFLMAO OK that is just too damn funny! Sorry I missed it. I was out doing Christmas stuff again tonight and missed the game.

Glad they kicked ass tho. Pleks & Gomez getting three points each, whoo-hoo. Go Pleky!

Things are starting to look positively, well, positive for the Habs right now. #1 PP, #7 PK, Marky back, Pleks being Pleks , AKos scoring, Gionta & Hamrlik probably around 10-14 days away, two terrific young goaltenders, I am seriously thrilled that we have both Price & Halak and the potential for two strong scoring lines and a solid third line in the 3Ms.

The next four games are just as crucial though since we're fighting for a play-off spot with all those teams. They all have games in hand on us, except Florida.

I dare to dream of a sweep!

Go Habs GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Oh, and, a Merry Christmas to everyone!

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:26 AM
LesHabsRock

I also forgot to add the fact that I think we're stronger at the Center position than we've been in many years. Metropolit is our third line center and is on pace for 20+goals. Our number 2 center, Gomez, will get his share of points especially when he has a finisher (Gionta) back on is line. And Plekanec, our #1 center is 6th in scoring in the league. He's on pace for 90 pts.

All three centers had multi point games tonight. Very promising.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:30 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion
Nice continuous ripping on Pouliot, Stephen.
I hope everyone understaood that I was being sarcastic with Pouliot. I think he's not bad, and I'm not going to judge whether he's good or not after one game (I actually watched two periods). I joke around. And if anyone's every followed my posts here's a list of players I've ever bashed and meant it
Laraque
D'Agostini
Yo screw Laraque.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
alot of records will be broken here at HF ...but i dont think this record for most PGT threads ever will.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Ross MacLochness

I know Carolina is notorious for inflating their shots but c'mon, how the **** would anybody think the shots were 47-25? That's just a joke.

Solid win, nothing to complain about. Do the same in Toronto.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote