HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

EJ Versus Komisarek

View Poll Results: Johnson or Komisarek
Johnson 79 94.05%
Komisarek 4 4.76%
Too close 0 0%
Don't watch one or both enough. 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
  #1
SMoneyMonkey
Registered User
 
SMoneyMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LA/MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
EJ Versus Komisarek

I've always considered Komi to be a really bad defenseman. He tries to go for hits where there aren't any and he's often out of position.

EJ is being compared to Doughty, though, and Doughty is much better than Komi. Still, in the US Roster thread a lot of people are putting Komi ahead of EJ.

So, who is better? To make is more specific, who has a better chance of making the US Roster this year?

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:17 PM
  #2
4rde
 
4rde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
EJ is the better hockey player, but it all depends on what team USA needs.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
  #3
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,376
vCash: 50
I'd take Erik Johnson by a considerably wider margin.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:31 PM
  #4
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Erik Johnson is being compared to Drew Doughty? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Komisarek really doesn't get enough respect from people around the league, primarily because I suspect people don't even watch him play. There's a reason he's been the Leafs and Habs top shutdown defenseman. He gets himself out of position to make the hit, yes, but he makes more smart decisions than poor ones. When he's on his game, you won't even notice he's there until he makes his big hits or game saving pass breakups. That's exactly what you want in a defensive defenseman.

All around, Johnson might be better, but Komisarek's got a (strangely) underrated defensive game. He's a leader and a difference maker, and the American Olympic team is going to live and die by the defence. There are some impact players on offense like Kessel, Kane and Parise, but that system will be built around Ryan Miller, which is perfect considering the kind of players USA will be icing in February.

If the Americans were going with an offensive gameplay a la Russia, I'd go with Johnson, but if they go with a defensive system as I suspect they will, knowing Ron Wilson as I do, Johnson won't be as effective, I think Komisarek will have a greater impact on the Americans' success.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:32 PM
  #5
Polaris
Cold as Ice
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: IL Side
Country: Wake Island
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 50
Are you sure that a lot of people are putting Komi ahead of EJ in that thread? I haven't actually gone through and looked at every post, but I've been following the topic rather closely and it seems a majority of the people have EJ on their list with Komi either as an extra or nowhere to be found.

Any of the speculation that Komi even makes the team is based entirely off of his relationship with Burke/Wilson.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:56 PM
  #6
Hooch314
Registered User
 
Hooch314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Well definately Johnson, but I think they both should be there. I'd take Komisarek over JJ right now.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:00 PM
  #7
Sharp Skates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 779
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Erik Johnson is being compared to Drew Doughty? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Komisarek really doesn't get enough respect from people around the league, primarily because I suspect people don't even watch him play. There's a reason he's been the Leafs and Habs top shutdown defenseman. He gets himself out of position to make the hit, yes, but he makes more smart decisions than poor ones. When he's on his game, you won't even notice he's there until he makes his big hits or game saving pass breakups. That's exactly what you want in a defensive defenseman.
Markov, Hamrlik and Gorges were all better than Komisarek defensively last year. Komi was the fourth best at D on that team.

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:10 PM
  #8
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
Markov, Hamrlik and Gorges were all better than Komisarek defensively last year. Komi was the fourth best at D on that team.
That argument can definitely be made, last year was not his best year. We're VERY happy to have him in Toronto though, I can tell you that. He and Kaberle work well together, it allows Kaberle more opportunity to use his offensive talents.

I think the reason Komisarek and Markov worked so well was that Markov obviously provided the offense, could rely on Komisarek to focus primarily on the defense, which let Markov do his thing. At the same time, Komisarek could throw his big hits and such, and Markov had the mobility to cover up if Komi ever did make a poor decision. But as any Habs fan would have told you before he signed with the Leafs, he was more often than not a responsible player.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:16 PM
  #9
SMoneyMonkey
Registered User
 
SMoneyMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LA/MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Erik Johnson is being compared to Drew Doughty? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
I think all the young defensemen end up being compared to Doughty. Hence all the Doughty versus threads. He's the best out of the lot (according to polls and my personal opinion) so I'd say EJ is compared to him. Even though EJ is older.

As for Komisarek being the habs top shutdown defense. Not last year but -maybe- the year before. He had a good season a while back.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:21 PM
  #10
Sharp Skates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 779
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
That argument can definitely be made, last year was not his best year. We're VERY happy to have him in Toronto though, I can tell you that. He and Kaberle work well together, it allows Kaberle more opportunity to use his offensive talents.

I think the reason Komisarek and Markov worked so well was that Markov obviously provided the offense, could rely on Komisarek to focus primarily on the defense, which let Markov do his thing. At the same time, Komisarek could throw his big hits and such, and Markov had the mobility to cover up if Komi ever did make a poor decision.
The Komisarek-Markov pairing did not work "so well" last year. It was always Komisarek costing the Habs goals with bad breakout passes or handling the puck like a grenade and not clearing it effectively. Markov had to hold Komi's hand all year long, covering for his mistakes and his bad positioning for big hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
But as any Habs fan would have told you before he signed with the Leafs, he was more often than not a responsible player.
The problem is you think Komisarek was good with the Habs last year. He was abysmal. A black hole offensively and a master pylon defensively. The only reason habs fans wanted him signed is because they thought he could go back to his 07-08 form, where he was good defensively and still provided lots of hits. And please don't tell me Komi is back to that form. I've seen him play this year and even now with his improved play he is still far from what he was when the Habs finished first in the East. He is overpaid and repeating and while being a serviceable player anyone would want on their team, his salary overshadows him.

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:19 AM
  #11
Cappo40*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,764
vCash: 500
Depends on the approach the USA team is making...If they want to compete, it is likely EJ, however Komi has started to get better lately..

Who knows, somebody else on the US defence can be taken out to put either one of these guys in..

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:26 AM
  #12
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,203
vCash: 1340
Komisarek is one of the worst defensemen I've ever seen. All he can do is hit and throw himself in front of pucks.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:27 AM
  #13
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
Erik Johnson. I wouldn't put Komisarek on the US Olympic team, but he will because Burke is the GM of the team.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:28 AM
  #14
leafsfan2
Registered User
 
leafsfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Markham,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
The Komisarek-Markov pairing did not work "so well" last year. It was always Komisarek costing the Habs goals with bad breakout passes or handling the puck like a grenade and not clearing it effectively. Markov had to hold Komi's hand all year long, covering for his mistakes and his bad positioning for big hits.



The problem is you think Komisarek was good with the Habs last year. He was abysmal. A black hole offensively and a master pylon defensively. The only reason habs fans wanted him signed is because they thought he could go back to his 07-08 form, where he was good defensively and still provided lots of hits. And please don't tell me Komi is back to that form. I've seen him play this year and even now with his improved play he is still far from what he was when the Habs finished first in the East. He is overpaid and repeating and while being a serviceable player anyone would want on their team, his salary overshadows him.
He is getting there, Komisarek has really stop taking bad penalties and is still a physical beast and is even getting better with the puck. he is only going to get better, I really think he going to have a big second half.

leafsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:30 AM
  #15
leafsfan2
Registered User
 
leafsfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Markham,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
Komisarek is one of the worst defensemen I've ever seen. All he can do is hit and throw himself in front of pucks.
some one doesn't watch hockey

leafsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:33 AM
  #16
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,982
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2 View Post
some one doesn't watch hockey
I truly believe some are just here because its an active forum.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
  #17
thefifthsedin*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: here and there
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
EJ is the better hockey player, but it all depends on what team USA needs.
usa needs worse hockey players? i don't buy that ...

... but why can't both make the team?, team usa is not that deep on defense, right?

thefifthsedin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
  #18
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
The Komisarek-Markov pairing did not work "so well" last year. It was always Komisarek costing the Habs goals with bad breakout passes or handling the puck like a grenade and not clearing it effectively. Markov had to hold Komi's hand all year long, covering for his mistakes and his bad positioning for big hits.



The problem is you think Komisarek was good with the Habs last year. He was abysmal. A black hole offensively and a master pylon defensively. The only reason habs fans wanted him signed is because they thought he could go back to his 07-08 form, where he was good defensively and still provided lots of hits. And please don't tell me Komi is back to that form. I've seen him play this year and even now with his improved play he is still far from what he was when the Habs finished first in the East. He is overpaid and repeating and while being a serviceable player anyone would want on their team, his salary overshadows him.
No, the problem is your lack of comprehension skills. Read what you quoted. You know, where I said Komisarek wasn't good last year. And then try to tell me I said Komisarek was good last year.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:41 PM
  #19
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,666
vCash: 500
Johnson for sure.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:41 PM
  #20
Wario Lemieux*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Johnson easily. He isn't as good as Doughty yet, but his all around game is much cleaner than Komisarek's.

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:30 PM
  #21
Sharp Skates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 779
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
No, the problem is your lack of comprehension skills. Read what you quoted. You know, where I said Komisarek wasn't good last year. And then try to tell me I said Komisarek was good last year.
I can see where you are coming from and even though I interpreted it differently than the way you meant it, my arguments are still as valid. Attacking me or the reasoning as to why I answered isn't a valid way to prove your point.

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:49 AM
  #22
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Erik Johnson is being compared to Drew Doughty? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Komisarek really doesn't get enough respect from people around the league, primarily because I suspect people don't even watch him play. There's a reason he's been the Leafs and Habs top shutdown defenseman. He gets himself out of position to make the hit, yes, but he makes more smart decisions than poor ones. When he's on his game, you won't even notice he's there until he makes his big hits or game saving pass breakups. That's exactly what you want in a defensive defenseman.

All around, Johnson might be better, but Komisarek's got a (strangely) underrated defensive game. He's a leader and a difference maker, and the American Olympic team is going to live and die by the defence. There are some impact players on offense like Kessel, Kane and Parise, but that system will be built around Ryan Miller, which is perfect considering the kind of players USA will be icing in February.

If the Americans were going with an offensive gameplay a la Russia, I'd go with Johnson, but if they go with a defensive system as I suspect they will, knowing Ron Wilson as I do, Johnson won't be as effective, I think Komisarek will have a greater impact on the Americans' success.
I really don't think that is anything to be bragging about. Komisarek is a good 4-5 d-man, he is not a top shutdown guy. He does bring a hitting game that most players do not bring, but that doesn't make him any better defensively.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.