HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Thornton on the PK?

Old
12-23-2009, 03:02 PM
one2gamble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Compared Datsyuk, Marleaus stickhandling is worse than Shelleys.

for a star player Marleau is a pretty terrible stickhandler.

Hes not elite by any measure but hes not terrible. He simply uses his best asset, his speed and his shot.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
TheSlapper

vCash: 617
I think when you're taking as many penalties as the sharks did, the pk responsibilities need to be spread out a bit more.

TheSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Hes not elite by any measure but hes not terrible. He simply uses his best asset, his speed and his shot.
You know who's a terrible stick handler? Heatley.

Every time he skates over the blueline with the puck and tries to drive through a defender I just scream at the tv "STOP DOING THAT!"

Players that can deke on the Sharks with any kind of consistency:

Dan Boyle

JT
Seto
Clowe
Pavelski
Marleau

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:44 PM
YouJustGotPavelskied

JT has been great defensively and ive been noticing his backchecking has been really strong lately. Nice to have him out there on the pk if nichol and the gang need a break, or if we need a goal

YouJustGotPavelskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

Every time he skates over the blueline with the puck and tries to drive through a defender I just scream at the tv "STOP DOING THAT!"
I actually think thats just his inability to skate more so than his hands. It just seems to me that if he got lower and worked on his stride a bit he would be better off but meh, I guess its working.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilk View Post
He had a beautiful shortie last night, so no complaints from me.
It's interesting what we remember from the incident. 3 things I noticed about his 'beautiful shortie':

1) It was too early for Huet to drop to the butterfly. The shot itself wasn't that special, Huet made it easier because his glove was barely 10 cm off the pad when JT was just beyond the hash marks. Not saying he didn't do well but it wasn't a top drawer snipe or anything.

2) The goal was 'special' more for Pavelski's steal, composure and deft pass than it was memorable for Jumbo's involvement.

3) A few seconds prior to the goal, Thornton had a terrible give away in the neutral zone with a very careless pass. It's funny how that could have played out but we might not have been singing his praises at all had the Hawks kept the puck.

Funny thing, perception.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:05 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

Players that can deke on the Sharks with any kind of consistency:

Dan Boyle

JT
Seto
Clowe
Pavelski
Marleau
To be fair, what Joe does isn't really stickhandling, it is more pushing the puck to the extent of his reach which no one short of Gill, Pronger, or Chara can match.

Also, I'd say Boyle, Marleau, Thornton and Nabby have been the Sharks' MVP thus far. I originally didn't have Joe on there, but his consistency is excellent, even if he has been out-hearted by Boyle, out-defensed by Marleau, and out-"holy **** Nabby just saved the game for us"d by Nabby.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
To be fair, what Joe does isn't really stickhandling, it is more pushing the puck to the extent of his reach which no one short of Gill, Pronger, or Chara can match.

Also, I'd say Boyle, Marleau, Thornton and Nabby have been the Sharks' MVP thus far. I originally didn't have Joe on there, but his consistency is excellent, even if he has been out-hearted by Boyle, out-defensed by Marleau, and out-"holy **** Nabby just saved the game for us"d by Nabby.
Joe just tells the puck where to go. He points his stick out as an illusion so that he isn't asked too many questions.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 06:07 AM
YouJustGotPavelskied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Compared Datsyuk, Marleaus stickhandling is worse than Shelleys.

for a star player Marleau is a pretty terrible stickhandler.
The guy has been rippin shots though. I don't care if he stops on the entry to wave at chicks or something, as long as he keeps firing these rockets he can have the stick handling ability of Brodie Brazil for all I care.

YouJustGotPavelskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:04 AM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Joe just tells the puck where to go. He points his stick out as an illusion so that he isn't asked too many questions.
<3 Incredible. Should we start a Joe Thornton Facts thread in the vein of Chuck Norris/Vin Deisel? Or just a Sharks Facts thread?

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote