HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Players that left want to come back - UFA's

Old
12-24-2009, 10:04 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Players that left want to come back - UFA's

According to several sources via the media, internet and papers, players like Kovalev and Kostopoulos want to come back and play for Montreal again!

I think that most of these players do not want to return because of the team, but want to return because:

1) This is the best city in Canada and one of the best cities in North America when it comes to partying, eating, women and having something to do late at night. The city has been called ''The Las Vegas of Canada'' and people in places like Calgary, Toronto and even B.C. come here all the time to get some partying out of their system, I have had family and friends call me an idiot for wanting to move out west!

2) Even a 4th liner in this city is made a superstar overnight, look at Moen and Metropolit, look at Laraque when he first signed and even someone like Begin or Lapierre when he was a rookie.

3) Montreal is the best city to play hockey in, the city knows how to turn even the dullest game into a party and places like Carolina are now lucky to hit the 10,000 mark for attendance when in Montreal every game is like a playoff game and the crowd is going nuts like it's the Stanley Cup final.

Long story short, players love Montreal as a place to play hockey in, the city for itself and the fact that they are made famous here and get attention like Hollywood stars.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:25 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
According to several sources via the media, internet and papers, players like Kovalev and Kostopoulos want to come back and play for Montreal again!

I think that most of these players do not want to return because of the team, but want to return because:

1) This is the best city in Canada and one of the best cities in North America when it comes to partying, eating, women and having something to do late at night. The city has been called ''The Las Vegas of Canada'' and people in places like Calgary, Toronto and even B.C. come here all the time to get some partying out of their system, I have had family and friends call me an idiot for wanting to move out west!

2) Even a 4th liner in this city is made a superstar overnight, look at Moen and Metropolit, look at Laraque when he first signed and even someone like Begin or Lapierre when he was a rookie.

3) Montreal is the best city to play hockey in, the city knows how to turn even the dullest game into a party and places like Carolina are now lucky to hit the 10,000 mark for attendance when in Montreal every game is like a playoff game and the crowd is going nuts like it's the Stanley Cup final.

Long story short, players love Montreal as a place to play hockey in, the city for itself and the fact that they are made famous here and get attention like Hollywood stars.

1. Montreal is a great party town... do you think guys like Gionta give a ****? Ya, I'm sure the 20-25 yr old kids appreciate St.Laurent blvd, but at a certain point in manhood, the appeal of partying with a bunch of "kids" loses its appeal. Besides, most players "party" at the comforts of their own home (especially the older ones). Funny thing is, these kids are playing here because they were drafted here. Now, if you're in your late 20's early 30's, and still a "party animal", well I'm sorry.. the place to be is NOT Montreal (Manhattan, LA).

2. Being a "rock star" 4th liner overnight is again, perhaps important, for a KID. Anyone who reaches UFA status is at a stage in their life where they may have a wife and kid, and prefer privacy over signing autographs at the gaz station.

3. I agree with your 3rd point - no other hockey atmosphere comes close to the Bell centre.

4. I'll add that there are benefits in playing in our market - endorsements $$$.

Taxes, weather, pressure, media, and privacy are big detractors.... but we all know this.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:36 AM
FuriousBob

montreal isn't the best city for partying... and there's not just partyin in life... so it isn't the best city at all.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:38 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
1. Montreal is a great party town... do you think guys like Gionta give a ****? Ya, I'm sure the 20-25 yr old kids appreciate St.Laurent blvd, but at a certain point in manhood, the appeal of partying with a bunch of "kids" loses its appeal. Besides, most players "party" at the comforts of their own home (especially the older ones). Funny thing is, these kids are playing here because they were drafted here. Now, if you're in your late 20's early 30's, and still a "party animal", well I'm sorry.. the place to be is NOT Montreal (Manhattan, LA).

2. Being a "rock star" 4th liner overnight is again, perhaps important, for a KID. Anyone who reaches UFA status is at a stage in their life where they may have a wife and kid, and prefer privacy over signing autographs at the gaz station.

3. I agree with your 3rd point - no other hockey atmosphere comes close to the Bell centre.

4. I'll add that there are benefits in playing in our market - endorsements $$$.

Taxes, weather, pressure, media, and privacy are big detractors.... but we all know this.
Nice points...

However, I think that you always have the odd 30 and 40 year old still living like he is 20 and still wanting to sleep with every girl in sight and drink every drop available.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
montreal isn't the best city for partying... and there's not just partyin in life... so it isn't the best city at all.
This comment is dumb. Montreal is one of the best cities in North America for many reasons: quality of life, social programs, arts, festivals, food, diversity .... the list goes on.

I'm glad players are beginning to want to return.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:40 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
montreal isn't the best city for partying...
Link?

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:40 AM
JayBee*

If players are coming to MTL for the nightlife, I don't want them on this team.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:41 AM
PacoXIII

YOu know what they say right? Once you go habs, you dont go back.... or something.

PacoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:10 AM
ScottFC

Quote:
I've been to most of the top City's in North America and yes I do have to say that we have the best Nightlife. Only Las Vegas is better but that's not exactly a City you can live in.

Montreal easily beats out LA, Miami, Honolulu, New york, Boston, Toronto etc. in terms of nightlife. I haven't been to New Orleans yet though but hopefully I can take a trip there soon to check it out.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:49 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferreira123 View Post
I've been to most of the top City's in North America and yes I do have to say that we have the best Nightlife. Only Las Vegas is better but that's not exactly a City you can live in.

Montreal easily beats out LA, Miami, Honolulu, New york, Boston, Toronto etc. in terms of nightlife. I haven't been to New Orleans yet though but hopefully I can take a trip there soon to check it out.
That is the most ignorant thing I've read today.

Old
12-24-2009, 11:54 AM
MayorFord

seriously lols. montreal people like to circle jerk and keep claiming we are the ****. truth is almost no one steped outside the city to see other places. sorry but montreal is a ****hole compared to the other big cities in the world and even north america.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:54 AM
DeVries*

Montreal beats many american cities on one and only point : strip clubs' quality.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:58 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferreira123 View Post

You haven't traveled one bit if this is your affirmation!

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
seriously lols. montreal people like to circle jerk and keep claiming we are the ****. truth is almost no one steped outside the city to see other places. sorry but montreal is a ****hole compared to the other big cities in the world and even north america.
So I have been in San Fran, Vancouver, New York, Baltimore, Cleveland, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton in North America, and in the world, I have been to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, London, Paris, Amsterdam ... and there are just the major cities .... and I still say that Montreal is amongst the 5 best cities I have ever visited.

And before you suggest I haven't been to these places for very long: most of these cities I have spend about 1 month in, and know fairly well.

Montreal is a gem. As one Montrealer once stated to me, if it weren't for the winters, it would be paradise. I would add politics to that one myself.

Montreal rocks for anyone who is open minded and enjoys a leisure lifestyle and beautiful people. You should appreciate what you have!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:01 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
It's their way to justify ****** weather, rude service, pot holes, crumbling infrastructure, highest taxes in NA, stupid politics etc..

Old
12-24-2009, 12:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
You haven't traveled one bit if this is your affirmation!
No ****.. lol

LA, NY and Miami are great places to Party... But I do think Montreal is right up there, not too far behind.. Mostly because of the strippers.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:05 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
So I have been in San Fran, Vancouver, New York, Baltimore, Cleveland, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton in North America, and in the world, I have been to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, London, Paris, Amsterdam ... and there are just the major cities .... and I still say that Montreal is amongst the 5 best cities I have ever visited.

And before you suggest I haven't been to these places for very long: most of these cities I have spend about 1 month in, and know fairly well.

Montreal is a gem. As one Montrealer once stated to me, if it weren't for the winters, it would be paradise. I would add politics to that one myself.

Montreal rocks for anyone who is open minded and enjoys a leisure lifestyle and beautiful people. You should appreciate what you have!
I'll even go one step further - imagine that at the other side of Old Montreal was the Atlantic instead of the St. Lawrence... wow, that be insane.

Old
12-24-2009, 12:09 PM
missthenet

Im glad you put a comma after the word eating!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:13 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Wow, way to over generalize!

I've been to numerous cities around the world, Beijing, Hong Kong, Bangkok, NY, Singapore, Sydney, etc.

Even if Mtl doesn't come close to these cities in terms of market size and economicaly, Mtl is one of the greatest bohemian cities in the world, right up there with Barcelona and Amsterdam.

It's a great city for people who like culture, restaurants, music, etc.

If you don't like these, you might think it's the ******* of the world, but if that's the case... just get the **** out!

I love my city, it's almost the perfect city for me to live in (perfect, would be 12 months of summer).

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Darth Joker

Players want to come back to Montreal because its the best hockey city in the world, and because of the "hockey god" aspect (it even goes a bit beyond the "rockstar" aspect, really - the Habs top players don't just get screaming swooning fans; they're downright revered in Montreal). Montreal is the hardest team to play for when the Habs are losing, but its the best team to play for when the Habs are winning. There's nothing else quite like playing for a winning Montreal Canadiens hockey team.

Some players want to avoid that level of intensity and pressure, but many thrive on it. I think that Alex Kovalev, and Cammy, are examples of guys who thrive on it; there's a reason why Cammy is so much more productive at home than on the road.

Only in Montreal could Kovalev reach the level of popularity that he did. He's probably come to realize that now, and miss it...

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
I lol'd when i read this comment, hovered my cursor over the flag under his username and read 'North Korea'. Made my day so far.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:08 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I lol'd when i read this comment, hovered my cursor over the flag under his username and read 'North Korea'. Made my day so far.
You had to hover your cursor over the flag to know it's North Korea?

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:21 PM
FuriousBob

If you are rich (wich is the case with hockey player) montreal is nothing spectacular in terms of night live. It's not because the city sucks it,s just because we don't have the landscape that breathtaking. + everything is falling down in mtl, the sewers, the olimpic stadium, the roads etc. Montreal is a great place to live when you are poor because you have almost all the advantage as rich people (im poor btw). You can go to school, hospital etc for almost nothing. But for those hockey players, when it comes in terms of partying, there's alot of place where it's better.

+ all our opinions are biased because most of us come from Canada and even if you have traveled trough other city, living there and being in vacation is not the same thing, I know by experience.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:33 PM
icerocket

If players love this city so much why the **** did we have so much trouble getting players to come here before we were able to overpay UFAs?

Shouldn't players be lining up to sign over here. That isn't the case.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:36 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
You had to hover your cursor over the flag to know it's North Korea?
Had a hunch, but an educated guess wasn't as funny as having the proof right there in front of me.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote