HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Chris Drury is WARM thread. 18 points in 36 games (and counting)|The Drury thread

Old
12-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
After his goal at the Coliseum, Sather said of Drury [Brooks]:

Drury was told of Satherís comments. He was then asked how he can reduce the burden and pressure he puts on himself so that it is not a detriment to his game.

Drury:

----------

Drury's comments from last night, from Brooks:

It was suggested to Drury that the demotion that followed a meeting with Tortorella must have been a blow to his ego.

Drury:

Brooks:

----------

Some people need to read some of these comments, really read them and think about them, and about the man Chris is, and be a more supportive fan. He's a good captain, he really cares about this team and doing his job, and he gives us the best he's got.
which is all fine and good. but him and his 7+ million dollar contract is a detriment to this team, and you can bet your ass the team will walk away from him once his contract is over if hes looking for similar money.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
"The first thing is that I canít be dragging the game around with me away from the rink, but thatís not always easy to do,"

So, would you say you wouldn't want to let it ruin your Christmas...?
funnily enough, thats exactly what i was thinking lol.

Old
12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
i'm so sick of the too much pressure, and trying to do too much excuse.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

This thread should be called "The Chris Drury is acting like a Captain finally" thread.

In all honesty he should be doing the things (both the little things and potting a goal here or there, etc.) and saying the things he's saying.

He's the Captain of this team.

He needs to lead by doing more than just the "intagibles"

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:46 AM
tjs252

You know what's funny? If Drury were to cure cancer tomorrow everyone would ***** that he took too long.

You guys really are mind numbing sometimes. He's playing well, coming back from a CONCUSSION. Callahan / Higgins / every forward but Dubinsky and Gaborik don't have anything nearly that serious to blame for their lack of production but we'll continue to give them free passes.

Drury's contract is on Sather, and no one else. Let Drury be Drury, which he's finally starting to be this season after the effects from the concussion are behind him.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Not a fan of all the Drury hate either. Better to hate Sather than Chris for the contract.

Happy he is playing better.

Hope he continues to do so.

Two other contracts for less money irk me far more than Drury's do.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Not a fan of all the Drury hate either. Better to hate Sather than Chris for the contract.

Happy he is playing better.

Hope he continues to do so.

Two other contracts for less money irk me far more than Drury's do.
Thanks to his recent outburst, hes on pace to score 12 goals this season.

12!!!!

Hating Drury this year is entirely fair, if you ignore his contract even, 12 goals from your captain, supposedly in the prime of his career, and a guy who you can easily pencil in for twice that much production, is horrendous, no matter how anyone tries to spin it. I defended Drury last year to hell and high water because his play was, by and large, quite good...this year hes been borderline awful at times.

Old
12-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
which is all fine and good. but him and his 7+ million dollar contract is a detriment to this team, and you can bet your ass the team will walk away from him once his contract is over if hes looking for similar money.
I'm sorry, but that is an asinine response.

That post was meant to provide insight into this mentality and effort level as he tries to raise his game. It was meant to get some people to respect the athlete, the man, and the process. It was targeted at the sadly immature and misguided people around he who aren't just disappointed with him, but who actually hate him.

And you couldn't help bringing up his contract. Take that up with Sather.

Quote:
Thanks to his recent outburst, hes on pace to score 12 goals this season.

12!!!!
That's not really a stat to get upset over. You're using 36 games to already determine what he's going to do in the next 46 games. You can debate the significance of a sample size of 36, but let's just see what happens.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that is an asinine response.

That post was meant to provide insight into this mentality and effort level as he tries to raise his game. It was meant to get some people to respect the athlete, the man, and the process. It was targeted at the sadly immature and misguided people around he who aren't just disappointed with him, but who actually hate him.

And you couldn't help bringing up his contract. Take that up with Sather.

That's not really a stat to get upset over. You're using 36 games to already determine what he's going to do in the next 46 games. You can debate the significance of a sample size of 36, but let's just see what happens.

See, this is what bothers me, people who seem to say, oh the contract doesnt matter, its not the players fault, blah blah blah. That is complete and utter BS. You come to a team and you sign a huge contract, expectations come with it. End of story. You dont sign a contract like that thinking that scoring 5 goals in your first 32 games is ok. as a player you are paid money to produce, and expecting him to produce at his career pace is not a lot to ask. hes on pace to hit HALF that number. 32 games is not a small sample size, its damn near half a season, even if he goes on a tear and score 15 goals in his next 30 games, that is STILL below his career average, and only 20 goals.

In baseball the Yankees got into trouble when they were handing out huge contracts to players that werent worth it because 1) that blocks a roster spot for a player who potentially is worth it and 2) that depletes your resources (in a league where there is no cap to boot) to bring in better players around said player.

you dont blame the player for the contract, you blame the player for not living up to the contract.

If i price myself as a 7 million dollar a year player, then i need to produce as a 7 million dollar a year player. drury doesnt need to just score to do that, he needs to play his all around game, and do his "clutch" thing hes so famous for and then he would be worth it. Drury in his last year with Buffalo was a 7 million dollar player. he had a monster postseason scoring 8 goals, 3 of them game winners (and 1 memorable game tying goal), and put in 30 during the regular season.

30 goals + superb defense + "clutch" probably is worth 7 million bucks a year...so I can almost understand Sathers thinking (I dont necessarily agree with it, but it makes sense from that aspect). Since then Drury has gotten progressively worse offensively, progressively worse defensively, and hasn't scored a clutch goal since god knows when.

I have never complained about Drurys effort level, what I have cared about is Drurys production. Drury is still producing less than the rookie who started the season off on our 4th line center.

Let me put this another way, if we didnt sign Drury, we would have had enough money to sign Marian Hossa last offseason, a guy I most definitely wanted us to target. You wouldnt have to give up any assets to get him...a guy who has put up the same numbers as Drury, in less than 1/2 the games, who also plays a superb defensive game.

Look, I get that you want to support the captain, he's a great guy, you're one of those posters who loved Renney for being such a great guy, who loves the classy players and coaches who are all warm and fuzzy...but the fact of the matter is, Drury has played like utter crap for the vast majority of this season. Drury on our roster is a huge gaping black hole that precludes us from adding players in the Gaborik mold in much of the way that Redden is. Only difference is, Redden is a whiny little ***** about being called out about it, and Drury isn't. If you want us to pat him on the back about that, then sure, great job Dru.

Old
12-24-2009, 11:46 AM
NikC

Let's hope the captain can keep it up. We need him to score now, it's been crucial during the 4 game run. There's alot of hockey to be played.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
"The first thing is that I canít be dragging the game around with me away from the rink, but thatís not always easy to do,"

So, would you say you wouldn't want to let it ruin your Christmas...?

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
See, this is what bothers me, people who seem to say, oh the contract doesnt matter, its not the players fault, blah blah blah. That is complete and utter BS. You come to a team and you sign a huge contract, expectations come with it. End of story. You dont sign a contract like that thinking that scoring 5 goals in your first 32 games is ok. as a player you are paid money to produce, and expecting him to produce at his career pace is not a lot to ask. hes on pace to hit HALF that number. 32 games is not a small sample size, its damn near half a season, even if he goes on a tear and score 15 goals in his next 30 games, that is STILL below his career average, and only 20 goals.

In baseball the Yankees got into trouble when they were handing out huge contracts to players that werent worth it because 1) that blocks a roster spot for a player who potentially is worth it and 2) that depletes your resources (in a league where there is no cap to boot) to bring in better players around said player.

you dont blame the player for the contract, you blame the player for not living up to the contract.

If i price myself as a 7 million dollar a year player, then i need to produce as a 7 million dollar a year player. drury doesnt need to just score to do that, he needs to play his all around game, and do his "clutch" thing hes so famous for and then he would be worth it. Drury in his last year with Buffalo was a 7 million dollar player. he had a monster postseason scoring 8 goals, 3 of them game winners (and 1 memorable game tying goal), and put in 30 during the regular season.

30 goals + superb defense + "clutch" probably is worth 7 million bucks a year...so I can almost understand Sathers thinking (I dont necessarily agree with it, but it makes sense from that aspect). Since then Drury has gotten progressively worse offensively, progressively worse defensively, and hasn't scored a clutch goal since god knows when.

I have never complained about Drurys effort level, what I have cared about is Drurys production. Drury is still producing less than the rookie who started the season off on our 4th line center.

Let me put this another way, if we didnt sign Drury, we would have had enough money to sign Marian Hossa last offseason, a guy I most definitely wanted us to target. You wouldnt have to give up any assets to get him...a guy who has put up the same numbers as Drury, in less than 1/2 the games, who also plays a superb defensive game.

Look, I get that you want to support the captain, he's a great guy, you're one of those posters who loved Renney for being such a great guy, who loves the classy players and coaches who are all warm and fuzzy...but the fact of the matter is, Drury has played like utter crap for the vast majority of this season. Drury on our roster is a huge gaping black hole that precludes us from adding players in the Gaborik mold in much of the way that Redden is. Only difference is, Redden is a whiny little ***** about being called out about it, and Drury isn't. If you want us to pat him on the back about that, then sure, great job Dru.
Re that bolded part, Drury didn't price himself at anything. The agent, the team and the market did that. I'm an agent (in a different sport), so I do have a perspective of note on this.

Second, I think you're exaggerating just a tad about exactly how badly he has played. I don't think any of us are satisfied, myself included, mind you, but he hasn't been as bad as you suggest.

Third, re the warm and fuzzy comment... I'm all for accountability and expecting production from players we pay to see. What really bothers me though is the posters who take it to another level, to a level of hatred, and lose a base level of respect for the player, especially when the player in question is a player who is genuinely doing his best. And in that sense, my problem is not with you really, but some of our other posters.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Re that bolded part, Drury didn't price himself at anything. The agent, the team and the market did that. I'm an agent (in a different sport), so I do have a perspective of note on this.
We do know that Drury had multiple offers for similar deals to the one he took, and like I said, his play in that last season of his contract certainly pushed him to where a "fair" dollar amount would be in the 6+ range...with that said I still abhor paying players for career years rather than career averages. I pencil in Drury for 25/25 with great PK work, and clutch goals. If Drury can hit those numbers, I wouldnt ***** about his play, just about his contract and what it does to the team, and really only in hypothetical situations like if Kovalchuk actually hit the open market.
Quote:
Second, I think you're exaggerating just a tad about exactly how badly he has played. I don't think any of us are satisfied, myself included, mind you, but he hasn't been as bad as you suggest.
And see, I disagree that I was exaggerating, I think he really was terrible out there...I think a really telling stat is shots on goal. In a typical drury year you are looking at about 220 shots on goal in 82 games, or roughly 2.7 shots per game. Right now Drury is averaging 1.8 shots per game, 1 shot less per game is a pretty huge number. Im sure part of it is being taken off the PP, but another part is just not doing jack offensively. His defensive work on the PK has been strong, but at even strength he seems to lose coverage way too often. I agree with Drury in that I think he was trying to do too much out there, cover for other people, do 10 things at once, and not accomplish anything. His game has been much better the past 4 games, and I'm thankful...i just want to see him play even better, and for a much longer period of time. I think ideally youd like to have Drury on your first PP unit over Cally because of his propensity for getting tip/deflection goals, but the guy has to earn it, I think if he keeps playing like this, he will.
Quote:
Third, re the warm and fuzzy comment... I'm all for accountability and expecting production from players we pay to see. What really bothers me though is the posters who take it to another level, to a level of hatred, and lose a base level of respect for the player, especially when the player in question is a player who is genuinely doing his best. And in that sense, my problem is not with you really, but some of our other posters.
fair enough. I dont hate Drury, like I said last year I thought he had a pretty good year, and was lightyears better than Gomez. However I also think this year he has been worse than Gomez was last year, which is almost difficult to fathom.

Old
12-24-2009, 12:31 PM
NYR Viper

Drury is, and has always been a streaky scorer. It sucks that he hasnt scored up to this point but if he gets hot he is capable of scoring 7 goals and getting 15 points in a matter of 10 games.

Also, its nt impossible for him to get to 25 goals this season, hell Cally was on pace for about 7 goals this season and is now on pace for just about 20 now because he went on a small streak. Its not too late to turn a season around ad hopefully he can relax because he does look like he was too uptight before.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Meh....tonights goal was deflected and he fell on purpose tonight because he knew he wouldnt score on the breakaway.

But at least we know this year he is DEFINITELY going to have a good Christmas.

You get coal this year for that, hater

Happy Holiday!

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Drury doesn't have to be the goal scorer that people may want him to be (or that his contract might suggest)

BUT...

He does have to be the player that other teams don't like playing against. Tenacious, smart, somewhat gritty with a tendancy to be in the right place at the right time (either to score or to break up a play).

He hasn't been that for most of the season. He has been that the past few games.

He will (and should be) measured by where he goes from here I guess. But three games against 30 isn't changing my mind just yet.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:14 PM
FanHabtic

4pts in 4 games not bad. I was worried for a sec - i thought Drury was literally on fire. Like the Minnesota Wild equipment.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:23 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
4pts in 4 games not bad. I was worried for a sec - i thought Drury was literally on fire. Like the Minnesota Wild equipment.
Intangibles cant be set on fire.

(NOTE: as a big Drury hater on here, I'm pleasantly surprised with his production. I'm certainly not going to say hes on fire though.)

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:30 PM
EvilEmpire94

Quote:

I concur with all of this.

EvilEmpire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:35 PM
ThirdEye

Haha, well, ok. Gotta show me some more Drury. Callahan has 10 points in his last 10 games. Can you do that? Sure you can, because you're better than Callahan. Can we see it now?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:36 PM
satrabyk

I dont know why we start threads like this it only leads to unrealitstic compliments, or sarcastic remarks. Yes he played better against weaker teams, but can we give him a few games before we start to think he is some star. This is what lead to high expecations is when people over react to things like this. The compliment is that we say nothing at all, at this point.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:43 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
We do know that Drury had multiple offers for similar
fair enough. I dont hate Drury, like I said last year I thought he had a pretty good year, and was lightyears better than Gomez. However I also think this year he has been worse than Gomez was last year, which is almost difficult to fathom.
Wow he was light years better than Gomez... Now i know Gomez is not the guy i and a lot of people care for, but he is and was the better player than Drury, so dont give me that BS.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:50 PM
AXN

Drury should have scored at least 10 goals by now and he only has 5. Hope he scores because he is a big cap hit on the team.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Drury should have scored at least 10 goals by now and he only has 5. Hope he scores because he is a big cap hit on the team.
In past seasons did he not play the PP first 3 months of season and get a concussion?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:03 PM
The Thomas J.*

I believe Chris cares about everything. Right now he is doing what he should have been doing all along. If simplfying his game is what it takes to be productive than fine i'm all for it.

But, like with Redden's game being sparked after the benching how long can Drury keep it up. I actually thing he can sustain a higher level of play longer than Redden, but I do think some of Druy's preformance problems are because his skills are on the decline.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote