HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

San Jose Sharks @ Chicago Blackhawks 5:00PM VERSUS (HD): Winter/Christmas Special

Old
12-23-2009, 09:33 AM
one2gamble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
None of that helps us this year. This team is not good enough as is. We will get destroyed in the playoffs.
No we wont, but the Sharks wont get far without another top 4 dman to eat up some minutes.

Murray has been trying to hard the last few games, hes getting a bit out of position going for the hits again.

This team is still night and day better with Demers in the lineup than without and its mostly because of the transition game and extra mobility. Its just another knock against DW for dumping Error whom is the exact defender the Sharks need right now.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:08 AM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
yup... Really it boils down to we shoulda dropped Blake and Huskins, and just kept Luko and Error. I think we'd be a lot stronger.
I wanted to agree with this but just cannot. Blake has not done much on the ice, and has been injury prone, but I still think he is way more valuable to this team as a leader, and in the locker room. More then Error ever was or could be.

But I would have been very happy keeping Luko over Huskins...

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:17 AM
mfw13

Quote:
None of that helps us this year. This team is not good enough as is. We will get destroyed in the playoffs.
It all depends on Nabby. If he plays like he has played in years past (i.e. average to slightly below average), yes we will get destroyed. If he plays out of his mind for a series or two like he did last night (or like Hiller did for the Ducks last year), we've got as good a shot as anybody at winning the Cup.

Aside from Kipper in Calgary, nobody else in the conference has a dominant goalie, which means that goaltending will be a huge factor in determining which Western Conference team makes it to the Finals. If Nabby gets hot at the right time anything is possible...if not it's going to be an early golf season.

mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
No we wont, but the Sharks wont get far without another top 4 dman to eat up some minutes.

Murray has been trying to hard the last few games, hes getting a bit out of position going for the hits again.

This team is still night and day better with Demers in the lineup than without and its mostly because of the transition game and extra mobility. Its just another knock against DW for dumping Error whom is the exact defender the Sharks need right now.
Yup, even Demers lacks something Ehrhoff brought and that is blazing speed. However Demers from what I have seen is quite a bit better at carrying the puck through traffic, much like Boyle. Boyle isn't fast (he's quick), but instead is shifty. Ehrhoff had a good shot, great speed, and good defensive awareness. No player we have now, or in the pipeline, has those traits.

I really am starting to wonder though how much of our issues might just be poor defensive coaching. Out of our 6 we have 2 great puck movers (Boyle, Demers) three good defensive players (Blake, Murray, Vlasic) and 3 excellent offensive D (Boyle, Blake, Demers). That feels like a pretty good mix to me with no obvious holes on paper. Huskins is good enough for his role (IE: decent all around defensemen) and the only major trait we lack is speed (which is rare for defense anyway). So why isn't it working?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:28 AM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkz View Post
Alright after watching my first whole Sharks game this season on tv FINALLY! I know I can only judge on this game, but here are my thoughts.

Boyle is just a god. Definitely our best D.
First time I've seen Demers and I must say he might be a little diamond in the rough, doesn't make many mistakes, great shot to beat Huet, he looks to have some nice potential. Agree
Heatley, well very impressed and pretty much what I expected, plays more physical and grittier than I expected. 2nd of exactly (2) games played physical this year. Back
Vlasic, seriously I think he is the softest player to ever play a contact sport, he just refuses to hit or play even close to physical, and he sucks at playing the puck under any pressure. I don't see that at all. I think our 2nd best D. He contests the blue line, makes few mistakes and clears the puck using body position well.
Clowe, yeah who? Just seems in another planet. One of the hotterst players in Teal right now. Solid
Nabby was huge now he just needs to do that in the playoffs consitantly.
Huskins, he was okay but yeah not worth his contract, same as Blake but wow does he take too many penalties.
Also very impressed with McGinn, he doesn't get alot of ice time but I like what he does when he is on the ice.
3 guys I want to give huge props to, Nichol, Ortmeyer and Malhotra dam do all these guys work hard, I love how they play, they bring alot of grit, alot of guts, and alot of energy.

I'd like to hear what other peoples thoughts are that watch most games, as I don't get to watch many due to the fact of living in Aussie land.
YOu have a LOT of opinions from watching (1) game!

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:15 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
So why isn't it working?
Some could be the system but in general, even though the mix is there, the skill level just isnt.

Blake isnt a top pairing dman anymore.

Boyle is a very good o-dman

Murray hovers between a #4 and #5 depending on how hes playing but has serious deficiencies with guys who are both strong and fast unless he solidifies his positioning.

Huskins is a soft semi mobile #5 but lacks toughness and speed. Doesnt have a creative bone in his body and isnt skilled enough to be a full on shutdown Dman. I do believe hes serviceable but needs to work on his game a bit more.

Demers is young and prone to mistakes but as you said, hes shifty, creative and seems to see the ice well. Could be a solid mid pairing guy or could be a top pairing offensive Dman with the right partner. Id rather see him teamed with Blake/Murray/Vlasic than Huskins.

Vlasic is a conundrum. He sees the ice well, seems to read the play well. Has a great stick but is generally passive which ends up putting him in positions that he could have avoided had his decision making been faster. I dont know if its just a confidence issue with him but hes going to have to get more aggressive on virtually all ends of the ice. Hes soft in the crease and on the boards where he cant just use his stick and has to use his body. Of note, aggressiveness doesnt always been jumping up on people, it just means he needs to assert himself and not always go for the stick work.

On a positive note

Fing Joe Thornton had some pep in his step last night.

And someone needs to tell Heater there isnt a teammate shadowing him all the time and the soft passes are killing their zone time. Your playing with some very good players, the nancy drop passes have to stop.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkytalk View Post
Huet proved in this game why the Hawks will not get far in the playoffs. With all respect to San Jose, I thought all three goals were very weak. Huet is not a good goalie. Watching Naby on the other end gave a stark contrast to what it means to be a good goalie. Naby was spectacular, while Huet was horrible.
Yes because we all know 1 game in December really matters come April

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
It all depends on Nabby. If he plays like he has played in years past (i.e. average to slightly below average), yes we will get destroyed. If he plays out of his mind for a series or two like he did last night (or like Hiller did for the Ducks last year), we've got as good a shot as anybody at winning the Cup.

Aside from Kipper in Calgary, nobody else in the conference has a dominant goalie, which means that goaltending will be a huge factor in determining which Western Conference team makes it to the Finals. If Nabby gets hot at the right time anything is possible...if not it's going to be an early golf season.
I agree as an outsider. As a Hawks fan all Huet has to do is not lose the game. Keep the Hawks in it and they probally will go very Deep.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:40 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
And someone needs to tell Heater there isnt a teammate shadowing him all the time and the soft passes are killing their zone time. Your playing with some very good players, the nancy drop passes have to stop.
I believe it was Vlasic (internet stream of a vs feed = fail) near the end of the game with probably the most utterly stupid drop pass I may have ever witnessed. Leaving the player he dropped it to (Pavelski?) going "What the hell??"

Vlasic is just timid. The coaching staff needs to make a determination if it's something that can be fixed, and if not, get value for the kid and move on. If it can be fixed, that needs to happen quickly.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
Yes because we all know 1 game in December really matters come April
That's something that we know too much here

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:13 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
I agree as an outsider. As a Hawks fan all Huet has to do is not lose the game. Keep the Hawks in it and they probally will go very Deep.
you know theres a book on you when VS is telling the world to shoot glove high.

Old
12-23-2009, 02:28 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjod86 View Post
I think I got this one too. What, no love? Didn't want to give me credit for two in a row?
You're right, I screwed up. I'll mock-up another graphic later, but I'll throw your pic back up as a placeholder.

GameSNOG winner
Oct. 1 at COLnone
Oct. 3 at ANAnone
Oct. 6 at LAnone
Oct. 8 vs CBJnone
Oct. 10 vs MINhockeyball, bluefunnel
Oct. 12 vs PHXnone
Oct. 15 at WSHnone
Oct. 17 at NYIcjod86
Oct. 19 at NYRnone
Oct. 22 at TBLnone
Oct. 24 at ATLhockeyball
Oct. 25 at PHInone
Oct. 28 vs LAnone
Oct. 30 vs COLcjod86
Nov. 1 at CARSpacemania
Nov. 4 at CBJSharksAddict
Nov. 5 at DETnone
Nov. 7 vs PITnone
Nov. 10 vs NSHYouJustGotPavelskied
Nov. 12 vs DALnone
Nov. 14 at STLkwhyte, stanley cup pleeease
Nov. 15 at CHIExodusAttack
Nov. 17 at NSHnone
Nov. 20 vs PHISplitbtw
Nov. 21 at ANAosgoodshlatters, SharksAddict
Nov. 25 vs CHInone
Nov. 27 at EDMnone
Nov. 29 at VANDanish Pastry, Lee Van Cleef
Dec. 1 vs OTTdeekortiz3
Dec. 3 vs STLnone
Dec. 5 vs CALVP and GM
Dec. 9 vs LAnone
Dec. 11 vs DALnone
Dec. 12 at PHXBCShark, Davidhye
Dec. 17 vs ANAnone
Dec. 21 at DALcjod86
Dec. 22 at CHIcjod86, skilk, Thwarter

Standings
------------
1) cjod86 (4)
2) hockeyball (2)
2) SharksAddict (2)
4) BCShark, bluefunnel, Danish Pastry, Davidhye, deekortiz3, ExodusAttack, kwhyte, Lee Van Cleef, osgoodshlatters, skilk, Spacemania, Splitbtw, stanley cup pleeease, Thwarter, VP and GM, YouJustGotPavelskied (1)

cjod86 starting to run away with it...

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
5H4RK5

I like our plan of letting the Hawks tire themselves out with all those SOG so we can get those quality shots on goal although very few...........................very potent. Way to go Nabby and oh boy do we have to tighten up on D.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
I like our plan of letting the Hawks tire themselves out with all those SOG so we can get those quality shots on goal although very few...........................very potent. Way to go Nabby and oh boy do we have to tighten up on D.
It's like that Simpsons episoder where Homer becomes a boxer.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:01 PM
OneTooth

Quote:
I really am starting to wonder though how much of our issues might just be poor defensive coaching.
I've been unhappy with TMac's system for a while now. He's turned them into a grinding defensive team. The Sharks are at their best when they pressure. All they do now is dump and chase in the offensive zone and play a defensive game where they try to capitalize on mistakes instead of creating chances. Shot count is waaaay down and they've been allowing opponents way too many shots. Notice how they haven't been getting a lot of PP's either? Sure there's been some missed calls but they aren't really attacking enough to cause opponents to take penalties.

Looks more like Darryl Sutter hockey than Redwings hockey these days. Every game is a nailbiter to the end and if they have the lead they go into prevent defense mode. I want the Sharks from the first half of last season back!

OneTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
yup... Really it boils down to we shoulda dropped Blake and Huskins, and just kept Luko and Error. I think we'd be a lot stronger.
Want to see something disgusting?

Clowe to arbitration- 1 year 2.8 million (Backs-2.5, Bernier-2, Brown-3.6, Armstrong-2.8, Cleary-2.8, Holmstrom-2.25, Hunter-2, Laich-2.0). SJ would pay for the cheap contract later, but the goal was to win now. 800k saved
Mitchell- 1 year 900k, shorter term, cheaper deal (Kennedy, Talbot). 400k saved.
Huskins- not signed. 1.7 million savaed
Shelly-waived, traded, excused; replaced with McLaren full time. 200k saved.
Total saved: 3.1 million- one spot to replace.

Roster:
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Clowe-Pavs-Seto
McGinn-Malhorta-Mitchell
McLaren-Nichol-Ortmeyer
Staubitz

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-Blake
Ehrhoff-Demers
*Leach (added midseason of course)

Nabby
Greiss

Regarding White, I'd totally understand if Toronto required Clowe, but I am not sure I'd trade him. I think I'd give up our first+ as much as we need it, but I'd be real uneasy about moving Petrecki (very unique potential) or Couture (only top 6 prospect).

Another guy to consider is St. Louis' Roman Polak. He is a physical minute eating d-man for 1.1 this year and next. They have or will have ridiculous depth on d shortly (EJ, Pietro, Brewer, Junland, Cole, Fairchild, Jackman, and Rundbland.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Want to see something disgusting?

Clowe to arbitration- 1 year 2.8 million (Backs-2.5, Bernier-2, Brown-3.6, Armstrong-2.8, Cleary-2.8, Holmstrom-2.25, Hunter-2, Laich-2.0). SJ would pay for the cheap contract later, but the goal was to win now. 800k saved
Mitchell- 1 year 900k, shorter term, cheaper deal (Kennedy, Talbot). 400k saved.
Huskins- not signed. 1.7 million savaed
Shelly-waived, traded, excused; replaced with McLaren full time. 200k saved.
Total saved: 3.1 million- one spot to replace.

Roster:
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Clowe-Pavs-Seto
McGinn-Malhorta-Mitchell
McLaren-Nichol-Ortmeyer
Staubitz

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-Blake
Ehrhoff-Demers
*Leach (added midseason of course)

Nabby
Greiss

Regarding White, I'd totally understand if Toronto required Clowe, but I am not sure I'd trade him. I think I'd give up our first+ as much as we need it, but I'd be real uneasy about moving Petrecki (very unique potential) or Couture (only top 6 prospect).

Another guy to consider is St. Louis' Roman Polak. He is a physical minute eating d-man for 1.1 this year and next. They have or will have ridiculous depth on d shortly (EJ, Pietro, Brewer, Junland, Cole, Fairchild, Jackman, and Rundbland.
That is disgusting and I'm with you but.... we are where we are. Can't get Ehrhoff back. Yes, DW overpaid for Clowe and Mitchell and was smoking dope when he signed Huskins.

So... what do we do?

I'd really like to see McGinn given a shot on the top 6. He's looked really gritty and energetic (i.e., playing his role well on the bottom 6). If given the chance at the top 6 and produce points, then maybe Clowe is tradeable. We're going to have to move someone to get a top 4 dman. White or Pollak are intriguing. We simply need more d depth for a playoff run and a top 4 if we really want a chance.

I ***really*** wish someone would have the cajones to ask DW that question at the next SotS. He really missed in dealing Ehrhoff (even over Pickles, IMO).

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:15 PM
krudmonk

I hate to shrug off actual analysis, but I'm in the "all that matters is the win" camp. There have been a lot more Cups won with a hot goalie than a suffocating defense. Even New Jersey had both. The Sharks can get by being merely good on defense if Nabokov is hot and goals are being scored at the other end. I'm not averse to weighing options before the deadline, but I don't think we have too much room to work with.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:09 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I hate to shrug off actual analysis, but I'm in the "all that matters is the win" camp. There have been a lot more Cups won with a hot goalie than a suffocating defense. Even New Jersey had both. The Sharks can get by being merely good on defense if Nabokov is hot and goals are being scored at the other end. I'm not averse to weighing options before the deadline, but I don't think we have too much room to work with.
I certainly agree Nabby is capable of stealing wins, and I believe he is good enough to get one win per season that the team doesn't deserve. However, at some point this defense will be the reason for a loss, if a minor addition like a Leopold (who I haven't seen enough to say he is a definitive upgrade on Huskins) or Polak makes the difference in even a single game come playoffs it could be the difference between the cup and a 2nd round exit.

Also, if they make it to the finals, they aren't losing.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:44 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
OK, graphic update for all the SNOGgers:

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:07 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
I certainly agree Nabby is capable of stealing wins, and I believe he is good enough to get one win per season that the team doesn't deserve. However, at some point this defense will be the reason for a loss, if a minor addition like a Leopold (who I haven't seen enough to say he is a definitive upgrade on Huskins) or Polak makes the difference in even a single game come playoffs it could be the difference between the cup and a 2nd round exit.

Also, if they make it to the finals, they aren't losing.
Matt, Matt, Matt... The Sharks aren't losing because of the defense, they are losing because that haven't been scoring lately.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:39 PM
netman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Matt, Matt, Matt... The Sharks aren't losing because of the defense, they are losing because that haven't been scoring lately.
Not to be a PollyAnna, but -- they won their last three games, and not against trivial opposition. No team is going to win 65 and lose 17 over an entire 82 game season.

They did go through a bad stretch. That's inevitable. It's quite possible they learned some things from it. If they did, we won't see another five-game stretch without a win.

Happy holidays, people. Be grateful for where the team is -- or would you rather be fans of the Hurricanes?

netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Admiral*

Funny that the picture you used of Shelley "losing" a fight is when he actually TKO'd Valabik. Nice job. Also, Shelley wins more than he loses. Sorry, but no enforcer is going to win every fight they're in whether you guys want to believe it or not.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote