HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Patrick Marleau or Miko Koivu?

View Poll Results: Well?
Patty 58 46.03%
Miko 68 53.97%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
TheGooooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyCrosby View Post
Koivu was point per game on a crappy offensive team and Marleau wasn't even though he's on the best team in the league playing with Jumbo Joe and he's a playoff choker that somehow manages to avoid any blame at all.
You are funny. Please pay more attention to the Sharks before taking place in some of these polls. Being informed helps your decision.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Nashology

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyCrosby View Post
Koivu was point per game on a crappy offensive team and Marleau wasn't even though he's on the best team in the league playing with Jumbo Joe and he's a playoff choker that somehow manages to avoid any blame at all.
I think you got their stats backwards. Marleau even had more points in less games

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Ovechkid08

As a Wild fan spending his winters in Sharks territory, I have to say that this poll is very close. They are both great two way players and bring a lot of intangibles to the ice. I however prefer Koivu simply for his dedication to every play all the time. The guy goes hard every second of every shift despite playing with absolute crap most of the time. The guy was PPG for most of last year and that was with miettenen missing 2-3 tap ins a game that Koivu set him up with. Marleau was also terrific last year, but if you asked me who I would rather have on my team, I would say Koivu just because I like the way he plays the game better.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Ziostilon

pretty even right now, i'd like to see if people have changed their judgment now that we're at Christmas

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

It's close. Patrick Marleau is absolutely blowing Koivu away statistically I believe but Koivu just strikes me as a guy you want out on the ice when you're team needs a goal. A true leader in ever way in the Steve Yzerman mould.

People are going to say "what Marleaus not?" I don't see it the same way I see it from Koivu. I know the guy really hasn't done anything meaningful in the playoffs and Marleau has but I still take Koivu. And I might sound crazy for that.

EDIT: Closer than I thought.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Virtanev
+

vCash: 50
Koviu,he's the better two way forward it's very close.But I Koviu takes it cause of intangibles,Koviu is slightly better defensively Marleau is slightly better offensively.But I take Koviu.

Virtanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Wario Lemieux*

Koivu is marginally better at defense, but Marleau's offensive game is much greater.

Marleau without much thought.

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Eugfest

Koivu. Gotta love it when a guy incrementally increases his PPG with each year at a steady rate. 0.33, 0.66, 0.74, 0.85, 0.92. That's just beautiful! You almost expect him to keep going and going.

Guys like that are students of the game, and you just know they get how to play it. Points tell only one side too, cause you gotta keep in mind Koivu is a solid faceoff guy, a short handed threat, a solid defensive presence, and a leader on and off the ice. Marleau is a lot of things but a leader by example is one thing he isn't. I prefer the guy who brings balance to the game.

Koivu for me, but it is close.

Eugfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 04:26 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugfest View Post
Koivu. Gotta love it when a guy incrementally increases his PPG with each year at a steady rate. 0.33, 0.66, 0.74, 0.85, 0.92. That's just beautiful! You almost expect him to keep going and going.

Guys like that are students of the game, and you just know they get how to play it. Points tell only one side too, cause you gotta keep in mind Koivu is a solid faceoff guy, a short handed threat, a solid defensive presence, and a leader on and off the ice. Marleau is a lot of things but a leader by example is one thing he isn't. I prefer the guy who brings balance to the game.

Koivu for me, but it is close.
Thank God, you finally settled that debate. All (and there has not been a single exception) of his teammates have stated Marleau is nothing but an exceptional leader. In particular, his teammates state that he just gets the job done on the ice. If you want to say he is a playoff choker (which is wrong, but slightly more excusable) or not vocal enough to be a captain that is one thing, but you are way, way off the mark.

I really do like Koivu and agree that this poll could easily go either way, but your reasoning is awful.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Pinkfloyd

I'd take Koivu in the long term but the next 3 to 5 years will be Marleau being better without much hesitation. Marleau's going to put in 40 goals, maybe 50 and Koivu isn't going come close to that but he will be more important to the Wild's success, which won't be much, than Marleau will to the Sharks until playoff time.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:55 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
I've said it before, but I guess it bears repeating: Patrick Marleau>Joe Thornton.

Koivu is incredible, but Patrick Marleau is a truly elite player. It really makes me sick that people look at the playoff failures of the team as a whole and in turn underrate Marleau's exceptional all-around game.

EDIT: ESPN player poll (Feb. 6th, 2009): Who's the best leader in the NHL?

Marleau was 4th, tied with Scott Niedermeyer. Behind only Iginla, Lidstrom, and the now retired Sakic. Marleau was also voted most underrated in the NHL.

You don't get that kind of respect from your peers without some leadership qualities. To say that he's a poor leader from strictly a fan's perspective is ridiculous.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:03 PM
OrrNumber4

Koivu is an exceptional player, but I'd give it to Marleau.

I don't understand the unanimous concensus that Koivu is better than Marleau defensively and on the PK. I'd give that edge to Marleau. I'd also give the edge to Marleau in overall offensive prowess. Leadership, well, it is hard to tell what really goes on in the lockeroom...Marleau has always performed, when healthy and when not healthy (2 GWG last playoffs). Even though it may not look like it, Marleau elevates his game for the playoffs. However, it does not look like he helps elevate the games' of his teammates, which is what a franchise player and leader has to do.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Jake5

I'd take Marleau without a doubt. he's seemed to only get better in the last few years

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote