HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Laviolette working these guys to death in practice?

Old
12-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Didn't want to make a whole new thread about this, but does anyone else LOVE how Lavy is using timeouts? He's getting the team back on track before they get too far behind.
Was thinking the same thing. He uses them at just the right time.

Lavy seems to be getting this team back on track. It's just a confidence issue from here on out. You can see it in the players

When we start the game we either go all guns blazing and everything is in place, or we come out flat. After a timeout with lavy or the end of the period, the players come back out looking to play some hockey.

They just seem to resort straight back to stevens style as soon as a goal is scored on them. The minute a puck goes in their own net, everything falls apart. They could have a 3 goal lead, and it vanishes in seconds. Once they sort that out, we will get back to winning ways. We have always had that problem with stevens too. look at the countless times we gave up a goal in the final minutes of teh game, then go on to lose in overtime.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I guess you expected overnight turnaround? Silly. I just wanted two things to work for us. Limit penalties and improve our work ethic.
How are those two working out after eleven games?

Quote:
Look, Stevens had everything going for him when he took over. One of his better friends was also his GM, team with over 20M of cap space, decent prospect and picks money and fan base. He ****ed up because he was a below average coach.
He ****ed up because he ran into a team with two generational talents and a #1 pick goalkeeper.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:29 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Didn't want to make a whole new thread about this, but does anyone else LOVE how Lavy is using timeouts? He's getting the team back on track before they get too far behind.
Like the game a few nights back where the Flyers, trailing by a goal with a minute left, had the goalie pulled, drew a penalty, but had no timeout to rest their PP unit because Laviolette had used the timeout three minutes into the first period???

Please.

Old
12-24-2009, 11:33 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
look at the countless times we gave up a goal in the final minutes of teh game, then go on to lose in overtime.
Complete Mythical Bunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Third period collapses have been grossly overstated on this board, so I don't buy that either.

08/09: 27-3-2 when leading after two periods
07/08: 30-1-3 when leading after two periods
year from hell: 12-0-1 when leading after two periods (heh)

Old
12-25-2009, 01:06 AM
captainpaxil

hes using the system excuse to run the guys through extra workouts and see how they respond to pressure. they didnt listen to good cop stevens so now they get bad cop laviolette. he needs to see who shows up for optional practices puts the extra effort into watching tape all the stuff he would know by now had he gotten the team going into camp. maybe some of you guys know who on this team has played in a 2 1 2 before but i dont. (i think that would be really interesting to see if you could post that info thanks) so he needs to see which guys are at least familiar with the sytem and who isnt plus whos willing to help out and coach on the ice and who is content to work on thier game. who is saving energy for the backcheck and who is simply not getting the idea of an aggressive forecheck. hes gotta treat everyone like theyre lazy until he can figure out whos just lost.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
How are those two working out after eleven games?
Like I mentioned earlier.. Players on this team were doing whatever the hell they wanted for about 3 years because Stevens was a soft coach. I did not expect change with in 5 games on a very tight schedule.

Quote:
He ****ed up because he ran into a team with two generational talents and a #1 pick goalkeeper.
Well, it's not like he learned from experience. Same thing would happen in 2010, trust me and I am not saying that Flyers will beat Pittsburgh under Lavi. Just saying they we won't under Stevens. Not sure if it makes any sense to you.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:43 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Like the game a few nights back where the Flyers, trailing by a goal with a minute left, had the goalie pulled, drew a penalty, but had no timeout to rest their PP unit because Laviolette had used the timeout three minutes into the first period???

Please.

So you enjoy Stevens not using the timeouts at all and completely losing his team?

Okay, might as well get on your knees for him.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:

Please.
Maybe they shouldn't have played like ass and Laviolette could have saved the time out to rest the team instead of lighting a fire under them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:50 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
So you enjoy Stevens not using the timeouts at all and completely losing his team?
A coach loses his team by not calling timeouts?

Quote:
Okay, might as well get on your knees for him.
You're projecting. Laviolette cost the Flyers a point (at least) by using a timeout three minutes into a game; he needed it later and didn't have it.

Had Stevens done the same thing, every Hater on this board would have excoriated him for it.

Old
12-25-2009, 10:53 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier.. Players on this team were doing whatever the hell they wanted for about 3 years because Stevens was a soft coach. I did not expect change with in 5 games on a very tight schedule.
Isn't it eleven games now?

Has Hartnell been held accountable for his dumb penalties by Laviolette? No.

And remember what punishment Laviolette dished out on Carcillo upon Carcillo's return from his suspension? Top line, and power play time.

Quote:
I am not saying that Flyers will beat Pittsburgh under Lavi. Just saying they we won't under Stevens. Not sure if it makes any sense to you.
It does.

Old
12-25-2009, 10:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

You're projecting. Laviolette cost the Flyers a point (at least) by using a timeout three minutes into a game; he needed it later and didn't have it.

Had Stevens done the same thing, every Hater on this board would have excoriated him for it.
You're projecting. You're assuming that the Flyers would have scored. The way Lundqvist was playing, and the way we've been scoring, ludicrous to suggest such a thing was imminent.

Old
12-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Isn't it eleven games now?

Has Hartnell been held accountable for his dumb penalties by Laviolette? No.

And remember what punishment Laviolette dished out on Carcillo upon Carcillo's return from his suspension? Top line, and power play time.
You presume that we as fans would be privy to any discipline faced by the players. I wouldn't.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Carcillo was given an opportunity to redeem himself and get back in Laviolette's good graces, which I think we all did. Just because he wasn't benched doesn't mean he wasn't disciplined. His disciple might have been being told "if that happens again, don't sticking around the locker room."

Old
12-25-2009, 07:01 PM
jb**

Quote:

he lost the team in game 6 last year when the pens scored their first goal and he did nothing to try to stop the belleding or even control it. i dont care right now that record wise it is nto showing. gettign rid of stevens was the rigth thing to do. you will see it next year more so than now. the key guys are so out of shape it is disgusting. whos fault is that? that lies with the coach. stevns is nto a good coach. he was so easy to plan against. he was terrible at making in game adjustments. the fact he had pyorala on the pp shows his lack of smarts.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:30 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
You presume that we as fans would be privy to any discipline faced by the players. I wouldn't.
Good Lord. Where have you been the last three years???

Old
12-26-2009, 10:34 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeRocket View Post
because they would have been buried 10-0 if they were allowed to continue playing the way they did for those first three minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
the key guys are so out of shape it is disgusting. whos fault is that? that lies with the coach.
Good heavens, you people will say ANYTHING at this point.

I'm not sure there is a Facepalm on Earth that can adequately counter this duncity.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:41 PM
mm6492

Hartnell said b4 he showed up the team was a little out of skating shape...glad to see someone is changing this!!!

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Hartnell said b4 he showed up the team was a little out of skating shape...glad to see someone is changing this!!!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Good heavens, you people will say ANYTHING at this point.

I'm not sure there is a Facepalm on Earth that can adequately counter this duncity.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:04 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Quote:
Yeah really. Seems like everyone here knew that Stevens never held anyone accountable, and now that he's gone all of a sudden nobody knows anything about what goes on in the locker room. Funny things, blinders.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Yeah really. Seems like everyone here knew that Stevens never held anyone accountable, and now that he's gone all of a sudden nobody knows anything about what goes on in the locker room. Funny things, blinders.
Well, not entirely accurate. We know that Laviolette has specifically called out players for reckless/stupid penalties (including guys like Hartnell and Briere) because its been reported. We know he's made the team and individuals do punishment skating because its been reported. Whether the message is having the desired effect is a completely different result. Stevens called guys out too...they were just the Scottie Upshall's and Steve Downie's of the world, not the established guys, or his boys from the Phantoms.

So stating that players haven't been held accountable for their penalties under Laviolette is specifically a FALSE statement.

Moreover, what's interesting, is that in all the discussion of Stevens one of JXC's primary defenses was that we couldn't know what was going on with the team because we weren't there...yet now he's using his own assumptions about what is going on to criticize Laviolette...bizarre how what was beyond the pale for everyone with Stevens is acceptable for JXC. Hypocrisy at its finest...even if it's ignoring the numerous reports contradicting the point at its most basic level.

All that being said, Laviolette is going to need to start benching guys...but it's tough to do that when you're losing games and talent talks. One thing to make a point when you have a comfortable position in the standings, it gets hairy when you're bleeding points and need 'em badly.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, not entirely accurate. We know that Laviolette has specifically called out players for reckless/stupid penalties (including guys like Hartnell and Briere) because its been reported. We know he's made the team and individuals do punishment skating because its been reported. Whether the message is having the desired effect is a completely different result. Stevens called guys out too...they were just the Scottie Upshall's and Steve Downie's of the world, not the established guys, or his boys from the Phantoms.

So stating that players haven't been held accountable for their penalties under Laviolette is specifically a FALSE statement.

Moreover, what's interesting, is that in all the discussion of Stevens one of JXC's primary defenses was that we couldn't know what was going on with the team because we weren't there...yet now he's using his own assumptions about what is going on to criticize Laviolette...bizarre how what was beyond the pale for everyone with Stevens is acceptable for JXC. Hypocrisy at its finest...even if it's ignoring the numerous reports contradicting the point at its most basic level.

All that being said, Laviolette is going to need to start benching guys...but it's tough to do that when you're losing games and talent talks. One thing to make a point when you have a comfortable position in the standings, it gets hairy when you're bleeding points and need 'em badly.
All good points, but PL seems to be more pleased as of late, though the 4 points the team has gotten in the last two games will do that, even if there were when the team was playing sloppy. They have a very, very favorable schedule coming up. From the last home game to the end of the this road trip they should get 10 or 11 points if they play hard. And they already have 4. Boston will be a very difficult game but it will be so weird for both teams that it will come to do whatever team plays the grittier game and works for the fluky goals.

Also, I noticed that you were using established fact, objective reasoning, and logic in your post. Those things will fall on deaf ears. Myself, I am just posting the Shoop edit of the That's Racist Kid as a response to such people from now on. So, JXC, this one's for you:

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
All good points, but PL seems to be more pleased as of late, though the 4 points the team has gotten in the last two games will do that, even if there were when the team was playing sloppy. They have a very, very favorable schedule coming up. From the last home game to the end of the this road trip they should get 10 or 11 points if they play hard. And they already have 4. Boston will be a very difficult game but it will be so weird for both teams that it will come to do whatever team plays the grittier game and works for the fluky goals.

Also, I noticed that you were using established fact, objective reasoning, and logic in your post. Those things will fall on deaf ears. Myself, I am just posting the Shoop edit of the That's Racist Kid as a response to such people from now on. So, JXC, this one's for you:

Laviolette is between a rock and a hard place right now...as a team they're not playing well enough for him to take a firm hand to individual players. I'm curious what will happen if they get their **** together and Hartnell/Briere/Whomever continues to reach with their stick when they shouldn't. God knows I'll be just as critical of him as I was of Stevens if he can't get Hartnell to tone down the minors...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
If you're going to cite a specific post of mine, please criticize it in the context of my past comments, not the context of what "everyone" has been saying. I think you'll find I am pretty consistent.

Jester has made some excellent points in response the specifics of your post. In addition to them I will just point out that Stevens and Laviolette don't have the reputations they do, with regard to their coaching styles, for no reason (one being a player's coach and the other a disciplinarian type).

Quote:
New Jersey mostly.

Before the coaching change I was not vehemently anti-Stevens, and tried to be even-handed in both my criticism and praise of him, usually only commenting when I felt that Stevens' haters were getting carried away. There were a lot of things I did not like about Stevens manner as a coach though. I like Laviolette a lot, but time will tell with him.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 12-27-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 09:00 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
In some people's worlds, the mere threat of being held accountable is being held accountable.