HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada's Savior?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
  #1
J15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Canada's Savior?

So who do you think will step up and make the biggest difference for team Canada? My guess is Hall, he's definitely able to score and from what I've seen of him in Windsor he doesn't rely on his teammates so he should be able to step up and put the puck in the net even if the rest of his team isn't playing their best.

Eberle,Ellis and AP are also candidates IMO but what do you think?

J15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:20 PM
  #2
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,666
vCash: 500
He was average in the pre-tournament competitions, but Nazem Kadri has a tendency to step it up in big games.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
  #3
sickest flow bro
Registered User
 
sickest flow bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
He was average in the pre-tournament competitions, but Nazem Kadri has a tendency to step it up in big games.
No doubt.. Pierre McGuire.. he gives us the upper hand.

IMO I think Allen and Jones as we may not light the lamp as much as previous years.

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 06:00 PM
  #4
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
He was average in the pre-tournament competitions, but Nazem Kadri has a tendency to step it up in big games.
When was that?

Also imo Kadri was among Canadas worst players. Way too many turnovers and bad penalties and he didn't create a ton. He'll get better but they need to get him and cormier to play within the system.

For me I'm looking at 3 guys, Hall, Ellis and Eberle. the powerplay is a big deal in these tournaments but I think these guys can create a lot at even strength too. Yes even ellis.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 06:06 PM
  #5
J15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
He was average in the pre-tournament competitions, but Nazem Kadri has a tendency to step it up in big games.
Hall has been Canad's best player. he's had 3 highlight reel worthy goals, not to mention missing two periods in the first game.

I'd hate to start the Kadri arguments going but personally I think he's been Canada's weak link (but that just might be because of the hype he received). Kadri obviously hasn't gotten comfortable yet and I'm afraid he might not be able to "step it up" when it counts.

J15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:09 PM
  #6
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,224
vCash: 500
Jordan Eberle "and it's not even close".

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:11 PM
  #7
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 500
Eberle, son.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:31 PM
  #8
CloutierForVezina
Registered User
 
CloutierForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,639
vCash: 500
[My team's]* prospect is going to be the best in the tourney for sure!!!!!





*Note: If your team does not have a prospect playing for canada in the WJC, feel free to name Taylor Hall here.

CloutierForVezina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:25 PM
  #9
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 13,630
vCash: 500
i doubt canada needs one guy to save them

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:44 PM
  #10
William Hylander
There can be only 1
 
William Hylander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
When was that?

"During the 2009 Ontario Hockey League playoffs, Kadri finished third on the London Knights, scoring nine goals and 21 points (9-12-21) in 14 games."

^
Straight from his NHL.com prospect profile.

I do remember something on TSN right after he was drafted saying he has a tendency to bring up his game when it counts, don't quote me on this but I remember hearing/reading it somewhere.

Not all leaf fans are full of it.

William Hylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 12:20 AM
  #11
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
[My team's]* prospect is going to be the best in the tourney for sure!!!!!





*Note: If your team does not have a prospect playing for canada in the WJC, feel free to name Taylor Hall here.
Damn I didn't do it right.....

Luke Adam!!!!111!!11!!

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 12:54 AM
  #12
Gorgeous George
Registered User
 
Gorgeous George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Temple Bar
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Also imo Kadri was among Canadas worst players. Way too many turnovers and bad penalties and he didn't create a ton. He'll get better but they need to get him and cormier to play within the system.
Couldn't agree more with this statement. I think we will see a different Kadri and Cormier during the tournament, however.

Exhibition is one thing, but these players realize what is on the line when they are playing for real.


As for the OP, as many others have mentioned, this year is the Eberle show.

Gorgeous George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:59 AM
  #13
RangerRed
Registered User
 
RangerRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
It will be Jordan Eberle. Of that I have no doubt. Hell, even last year, we were dubbing him "Just call me Henderson" Eberle.
All that having been said, that strikes against Nazem Kadri here are severely misplaced. A previous poster who suggested that Kadri was a big game player was right on the proverbial money. Ask a Kitchener Rangers fan lifted the team in Game 7 after the Rangers blew a 3-0 series lead to Belleville in the OHL Final back in 2007-2008? But for Kadri and Azevedo, the Rangers likely creep into the Mem Cup through the back door that year.
Then flash forward to last year's playoffs. Kadri and Varone were the Knights most reliable offensive threats, ask any London fan. If memory serves, Kadri even had a four point game against the Spits in the Western Final (I'm not sure, that might have been the game that put Saginaw out in the Western Semi-Final).
While I expect Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall to have a bigger effect, I think we underestimate Nazem Kadri at our own peril.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:13 AM
  #14
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,658
vCash: 500
Dehaan will make a difference. He already has.

I'm not even saying that because I'm from Carp

Meh, Dehaan will be great but I think Henrique will surprise everyone and be one of the best players in the tournament. He hasn't done anything pre-tournament but the Windsor line will show up. They're way too good.

Henrique. I could seriously see him being a tournament MVP.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:38 AM
  #15
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,763
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I really think Ryan Ellis will be huge this year...perhaps more effective than PK Subban was last year.

__________________
Fire Benning, Fire Desjardins, Fire Linden, and hopefully Aquilini sells the team! #TimeForARegimeChange
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:05 PM
  #16
Hipfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude35 View Post
So who do you think will step up and make the biggest difference for team Canada? My guess is Hall, he's definitely able to score and from what I've seen of him in Windsor he doesn't rely on his teammates so he should be able to step up and put the puck in the net even if the rest of his team isn't playing their best.

Eberle,Ellis and AP are also candidates IMO but what do you think?
Personally after watching the 3 exhibition games, I think it's Henrique - he was tenacious around the net in the first two games, and Team Canada really missed that in the 3rd game vs the Czechs. I thought he was only there because of Hall but he's pretty damn good with the puck himself.

Also a difference maker is Schenn: he's like 80% in the faceoff circle for Canada so far!

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:23 PM
  #17
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
It will be Jordan Eberle. Of that I have no doubt. Hell, even last year, we were dubbing him "Just call me Henderson" Eberle.
All that having been said, that strikes against Nazem Kadri here are severely misplaced. A previous poster who suggested that Kadri was a big game player was right on the proverbial money. Ask a Kitchener Rangers fan lifted the team in Game 7 after the Rangers blew a 3-0 series lead to Belleville in the OHL Final back in 2007-2008? But for Kadri and Azevedo, the Rangers likely creep into the Mem Cup through the back door that year.
Then flash forward to last year's playoffs. Kadri and Varone were the Knights most reliable offensive threats, ask any London fan. If memory serves, Kadri even had a four point game against the Spits in the Western Final (I'm not sure, that might have been the game that put Saginaw out in the Western Semi-Final).
While I expect Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall to have a bigger effect, I think we underestimate Nazem Kadri at our own peril.
Hmm... Yeah... about that... Were Azevedo and Kadri major parts of the team? Yes. But so were Nick Spaling, Matt Halischuk, Mike Duco and Mikkel Boedker....

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.