HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players that left want to come back - UFA's

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2009, 01:38 PM
  #26
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Come on ! Let's go back to the original title of this thread instead of bashing dumbly the City of Montreal.

(I am not from Montreal, but I live in the province and I would not want to live in Montreal anyway - Nice place to visit and great attractions (arts and shows) and restaurants...)
+ of course, they have the Habs !

Kostopoulos and Kovalev are fine individuals, but they are dreaming in technicolor if the think they might play again for the Habs. Too late ! The money is not there for them anymore.

But sometimes I would had like Gainey to keep Kosto, Kovalev and/or Lang.


Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 12-24-2009 at 01:56 PM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:58 PM
  #27
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
If players love this city so much why the **** did we have so much trouble getting players to come here before we were able to overpay UFAs?
Taxes...

Quebec taxes are simply brutal, and Canadian taxes are higher than American ones.

This is probably the main reason why it's often hard to attract players to come to Montreal, but once they're actually here...

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:24 PM
  #28
marvelousmotion
Registered User
 
marvelousmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post




1. Montreal is a great party town... do you think guys like Gionta give a ****? Ya, I'm sure the 20-25 yr old kids appreciate St.Laurent blvd, but at a certain point in manhood, the appeal of partying with a bunch of "kids" loses its appeal. Besides, most players "party" at the comforts of their own home (especially the older ones). Funny thing is, these kids are playing here because they were drafted here. Now, if you're in your late 20's early 30's, and still a "party animal", well I'm sorry.. the place to be is NOT Montreal (Manhattan, LA).

2. Being a "rock star" 4th liner overnight is again, perhaps important, for a KID. Anyone who reaches UFA status is at a stage in their life where they may have a wife and kid, and prefer privacy over signing autographs at the gaz station.
Haha, you're wrong if you think men with rich and famous status settle themselves after they have a wife and kid. I don't want to sound like an ass or burst your little "good kid" bubble, but truth is that in society, 90% of men, even those in their 40s with families, would not give up an opportunity to sleep with young and attractive girls in their early 20s. "Cheating" arrives far more easily and commonly than you think. Sex hormones are hard to control.


Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
That is the most ignorant thing I've read today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
You haven't traveled one bit if this is your affirmation!
To the guy's defense, if you guys think NYC beats MTL in terms of partying or nightlife or girls or even living standards, you are the ones who have never lived in NYC. I travel there often and lived there for a while, my cousin works in wall-street ($$$) and he's originally from Montreal. He always tells me how he misses Montreal in terms of the quality of women, the partying and nightlife scene etc. When you're used to the Montreal party life-style, the standards become quite high. While I was in NYC, I've seen them all, from nightclubs to up-scale lounges to strip-clubs and I totally agree that Montreal is BY FAR a better city in terms of those aspects. Montreal people are also a lot more down-to-earth and easy-going. Now, if there's one aspect that NYC is better aside from the $$$ aspect, it's shopping (hence, now the only reason I like going there).

In terms of LA night-life, it's more difficult to compare. I've been there too, and it would be like comparing apples to oranges. It's a matter of taste because both LA and MTL have a lot of attractive women. If you like young sexy model-looking girls who live in a dreamy bubble, hoping to make it big one day (like those in television series The Hills), partying in Hollywood might be your thing.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
  #29
ScottFC
Registered User
 
ScottFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: чуд
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Alot of people on this board are so arrogant, if you don't like this city then leave but don't tell me that Montreal isn't 1 of the best party cities in North America. I've been to most of the hottest clubs on the East & West coasts of North America numerous times and only Las Vegas can compare. Montreal & Quebec city are the closest comparisons to Europe on this continent. We also have the most culture and the most diverse beautiful women in the continent which I would say make it even better then Vegas. Yes other cities have larger populations and extremely luxurious clubs, hotels and casinos but if your looking for good time then Montreal is undoubtedly the place to be

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:14 PM
  #30
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
lol, people just need to be extreme. Reality is, montreal IS a top city in the world, not necessarily the biggest party city in NA, or the most populated, the more diverse or cultured, but it's got everything. We have a nightlife, a top nightlife, good culture, good looking women and so on and so forth, anyone calling mtl a dump or something is retarded. It's a beautiful city, we're just used to it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:17 PM
  #31
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
lol, people just need to be extreme. Reality is, montreal IS a top city in the world, not necessarily the biggest party city in NA, or the most populated, the more diverse or cultured, but it's got everything. We have a nightlife, a top nightlife, good culture, good looking women and so on and so forth, anyone calling mtl a dump or something is retarded. It's a beautiful city, we're just used to it.
this. Well said.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:20 PM
  #32
MayorFord
Registered User
 
MayorFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: North Korea
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
We have a nightlife, a top nightlife, good culture, good looking women and so on and so forth, anyone calling mtl a dump or something is retarded. It's a beautiful city, we're just used to it.
what are you talking about? remove your glasses every other city has nightlife. top night life? you call crescent top night life? lol. yea its descent compared to toronto but we dont have the top clubs, its mostly kids and students that go there. where's the rich people? wheres the ballers? yea not in montreal. their cars would be destroyed before then even reach downtown because of the potholes.

it's nice if you're a student of if you want some jailbait. woman are gorgeous i'll give you that.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:36 PM
  #33
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
This comment is dumb. Montreal is one of the best cities in North America for many reasons: quality of life, social programs, arts, festivals, food, diversity .... the list goes on.

I'm glad players are beginning to want to return.
-20C from December 1st to March 31st

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:07 PM
  #34
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmotion View Post
Haha, you're wrong if you think men with rich and famous status settle themselves after they have a wife and kid. I don't want to sound like an ass or burst your little "good kid" bubble, but truth is that in society, 90% of men, even those in their 40s with families, would not give up an opportunity to sleep with young and attractive girls in their early 20s. "Cheating" arrives far more easily and commonly than you think. Sex hormones are hard to control.






To the guy's defense, if you guys think NYC beats MTL in terms of partying or nightlife or girls or even living standards, you are the ones who have never lived in NYC. I travel there often and lived there for a while, my cousin works in wall-street ($$$) and he's originally from Montreal. He always tells me how he misses Montreal in terms of the quality of women, the partying and nightlife scene etc. When you're used to the Montreal party life-style, the standards become quite high. While I was in NYC, I've seen them all, from nightclubs to up-scale lounges to strip-clubs and I totally agree that Montreal is BY FAR a better city in terms of those aspects. Montreal people are also a lot more down-to-earth and easy-going. Now, if there's one aspect that NYC is better aside from the $$$ aspect, it's shopping (hence, now the only reason I like going there).

In terms of LA night-life, it's more difficult to compare. I've been there too, and it would be like comparing apples to oranges. It's a matter of taste because both LA and MTL have a lot of attractive women. If you like young sexy model-looking girls who live in a dreamy bubble, hoping to make it big one day (like those in television series The Hills), partying in Hollywood might be your thing.

Why are you talking about infidelity? Do you think Tiger Woods needed to come here to Montreal to cheat on his wife? Yes we all know that many athletes cheat. You misread and missed completely my point, but you think because you have a cousin from NYC or because you personally like the nightlife in MTL privileges you in suggesting that one is greater than the other. I try to use common sense and separate my own opinion (which is, btw, one that takes into consideration ppl's age and wealth). Anyways, if you want to play that game, my brother lived their for 7 years and... and, and, and... I use to visit him a lot too

What I wrote was the Montreal scene is great when you're a rookie - or specifically - under 24-25, because you're in the same age bracket as the scene. But in case you haven't realized, a lot of players are in their late 20's early 30's. Now, did I say they don't party? NO. I said that if such players still party - than they are more likely to want to be in a "town" that has a scene more akin to their money and age.

For example, say you are 30 years old and rich (Gomez), would you rather be strolling up St.Laurent towards GLobe or Buonna with kids in their civics stuck in traffic honking at you after a game OR say, attend one of *insert famous person* charity event at a high end club in Manhattan filled with celebrities and yankee, giants etc players?

Now, I can't deny you or your cousins opinions - to each their own - but generally it's a known fact that if you have money, there is no end to fun, partying, clubbing, celebrity events, social life in NYC.

Montreal is a better bang for your buck, and I agree with the poster that said it's great if you dont have a lot of money. Because it is... you can do a BYOB and have a decent meal on Deluth for 20 bucks a head. You can than take a 2.50 metro ride to Old Montreal, watch the fireworks, and then get trashed at some lounge that is hopefully free of those annoying poser kids that break their piggy banks so they can have a facebook album of photos proudly holding a $200 bottle of Smirnoff which could otherwise have been purchased for 30 bucks at any saq..

And if you're a "poor" person, than you surely would rather meet a girl here vs in NYC (chances are she'll be WAY hotter here!)...But again, if you're rich and an athlete, finding hot women is the last of your worries.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:50 AM
  #35
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
So I have been in San Fran, Vancouver, New York, Baltimore, Cleveland, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton in North America, and in the world, I have been to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, London, Paris, Amsterdam ... and there are just the major cities .... and I still say that Montreal is amongst the 5 best cities I have ever visited.

And before you suggest I haven't been to these places for very long: most of these cities I have spend about 1 month in, and know fairly well.

Montreal is a gem. As one Montrealer once stated to me, if it weren't for the winters, it would be paradise. I would add politics to that one myself.

Montreal rocks for anyone who is open minded and enjoys a leisure lifestyle and beautiful people. You should appreciate what you have!
Are you insane? Montreal is a hole compared to Paris and I love Montreal. Amsterdam hands down murders Montreal when it comes to partying.

There are many cities that will appreciate the players, treat them like stars and DOESNT crucify them the next day.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:19 AM
  #36
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,035
vCash: 500
PROS:
< great hockey city (HAB players are modern-day gladiators...when they win!)
< most people say the Mtl women are the most beautiful in Canada (inside and outside)
< multi-ethnic city with a European feel to it (french and english)
< great for restaurant lovers (lots and lots of restaurants)
< many HAB players get recognized (this could be in the CONS' section for certain players)
< apparently Mtl is the best in Canada for exotic dancers/strippers and escorts...apparently from what I've read!
< maybe the best nightlife in Canada (plateau and Mile End areas, St-Laurent/Prince-Arthur area, St-Denis street, Crescent street, SteCatherine O. and E., Old Mtl, and many pubs in Mtl, Ste-Anne-De-Bellevue, Laval?!, and the many festivals (comedy, jazz...).
< best smoke meat in Canada...apparently.
< not only english but french-speaking girls (no other province in Canada can offer you that!).
< Celine Dion and Corey Hart





CONS:
< taxes are highest in Canada (from what I know)
< schools...some players don't want to "have to" put their children in french schools (I could be wrong with this info, correct me if I'm wrong!).
< potholes, but not every player knows this or cares with the money they have to fix their shock-absorbers! (imo, NHL players are not concerned with potholes!, but I suppose AHLers are!)
< long winters, not too much natural suntan/vitamin D!, too much shoveling (Rivet apparently didn't like shoveling!)...
< the language "thing"...not every player will admit it but some players don't want to be in the spotlight (don't want to bother) with the whole "to learn french or not to learn french" issue...some just want to play hockey and not want anything to do with learning a new language
< Celine Dion and Corey Hart





I'm sure I missed a few...


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-25-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:25 AM
  #37
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Nice place to visit I am sure but I enjoy the work the west offers, also the weather is just as ****** as it is here.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 03:11 AM
  #38
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
I dont think veterans like kovalev are all that interested in the nightlife. These guys got wives and kids and have more important things to worry about.

This city is not for everyone. Being treated as a rockstar can be a negative as well as a positive. You cited two examples of players who would like to come back, but there are other factors such as high taxes, crummy weather, language rules, lack of organizational success in recent years etc... that make montreal a less desirable destination for others.

Besides, do you really want someone to come here because they want to be in a party town? I want someone to come here because they crave the pressure and want to succeed in it. Eventually, I want them to come here because the organization is a winner again. That's what you want your selling point to be.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:00 AM
  #39
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
This comment is dumb. Montreal is one of the best cities in North America for many reasons: quality of life, social programs, arts, festivals, food, diversity .... the list goes on.

I'm glad players are beginning to want to return.
I can think of 5 cities right off the top of my head that put Montreal to shame when it comes to these aspects: New York, Chicago, L.A., Vancouver, Toronto.

Then you can add the fact that most of those cities have temperate climate and it shows you're talking out of your hat.

Montreal is a second tier city. Nothing wrong withthat but please let's not lie to ourselves.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:14 AM
  #40
Slippy13
Registered User
 
Slippy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I can think of 5 cities right off the top of my head that put Montreal to shame when it comes to these aspects: New York, Chicago, L.A., Vancouver, Toronto.

Then you can add the fact that most of those cities have temperate climate and it shows you're talking out of your hat.

Montreal is a second tier city. Nothing wrong withthat but please let's not lie to ourselves.
He said ONE of the best. ONE OF THE BEST. ONE. ONE.

That means that even if Montreal is after all the cities you named. It is still ONE of the best. Maybe not the best but its up there.

Why does everything have to be so freaking black and white on this board.

ITT a bunch of Montrealers bashing their own city because they are used to it and can't see it for what its really worth.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:19 AM
  #41
justsomeguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Craig Rivet's from North Bay, Ont. Figure any aversion to shoveling was developed well before he hit Montreal.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:42 AM
  #42
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
what are you talking about? remove your glasses every other city has nightlife. top night life? you call crescent top night life? lol. yea its descent compared to toronto but we dont have the top clubs, its mostly kids and students that go there. where's the rich people? wheres the ballers? yea not in montreal. their cars would be destroyed before then even reach downtown because of the potholes.

it's nice if you're a student of if you want some jailbait. woman are gorgeous i'll give you that.
I never said 'top clubs', I said 'A top nightlife', not 'THE top nightlife'.

Anyway, I don't see your point, you're upset that there's isn't clubs above your paygrade? Even if there were, what's that change for you? Anyway, montreal doesn't have the b est events in the world or the best nightlife but reality is, we have a lot of clubs compared to average city, that's why we're rating high in that regard, because practically anyone can go and party....not just ballers.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:54 AM
  #43
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 12,150
vCash: 500
I love Montréal.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:22 PM
  #44
Lyncos
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Brossard is way better.... we have the Habs training center and Dix-30 for nightlife



Lyncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:30 PM
  #45
sXe
Yuuuuuup!
 
sXe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
what are you talking about? remove your glasses every other city has nightlife. top night life? you call crescent top night life? lol. yea its descent compared to toronto but we dont have the top clubs, its mostly kids and students that go there. where's the rich people? wheres the ballers? yea not in montreal. their cars would be destroyed before then even reach downtown because of the potholes.

it's nice if you're a student of if you want some jailbait. woman are gorgeous i'll give you that.
Second only to Belgrade, Serbia according to lonely planet...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/trav...1118-im4q.html

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:59 PM
  #46
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Second only to Belgrade, Serbia according to lonely planet...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/trav...1118-im4q.html
he was not wrong - he said "kids and students" ... yes, Montreal is great place to party under 22.

If you're older, and especially if you have money, there's only a handful of options that would fit the bill in terms of crowd, scene and ambiance ... not saying there's a shortage of happening pubs, bistros and clubs with 10 dollar cover , but for an athlete with tons of cash, Montreal is...."ok" (ie: it's no NY, Chicago, LA, and dare I say - Toronto (for true "baller$").

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 07:53 AM
  #47
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Taxes...

Quebec taxes are simply brutal, and Canadian taxes are higher than American ones.

This is probably the main reason why it's often hard to attract players to come to Montreal, but once they're actually here...
At the beginning of the '80, they made a serious comparison of 5 North American cities and it was not that bad when you take many things in consideration. For example, how much do you pay to rent a 3 bedrooms appartment/house not too far from the Madison Square Garden as opposed to around the Bell Center?

Anyway, looking at the economy south of the border, it would not be surprising to see a stronger canadian $ than a US $, not sure it will help us attract some new UFAs


Last edited by kent_carlson: 12-26-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Lack of coffee in the morning
kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.