HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we have the talent to win the cup?

Old
12-25-2009, 02:45 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Not a snowball's chance in hell.

to put it mildly

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:51 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

vCash: 500
I thought it was Christmas but since it's really April Fools Day I was wondering ... Do I have to give all my gifts back?

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 03:07 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Me thinks the original poster had too much Egg Nog.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Block More Shots

Too many pessimists on this board. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Someone gave the example of the Oilers in 06. I feel like our team has more talent than that Oilers team did and look what happened. Of course, they didn't win it all, but they came really freakin' close.

I'm not saying we have the best team in the NHL or that we are going to win the Cup...obviously, there are many teams out there that are better than us. BUT, to say that we have absolutely no shot at it is ridiculous.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 03:19 PM
thewaitingisover

...some of you can't be serious.

this team has two great players (duh). four or five good ones (dubinsky, vinny prospal, ryan callahan, mdz, and staal who is also ridiculously overrated), and the rest are average at best (higgins, drury, lisin, anisimov, roszival, girardi, etc.) or just plain bad (i'm pretty much just referring to brashear here, who i still hate. i don't care how long he stays on this team for, sather is a moron once again for this).

henrik and gaborik can't win a cup by themselves, unfortunately.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 03:33 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
06 Oilers had a ton of character guys and vets that provided excellent chemistry.

This team has none of that.
They squeaked into 8th spot. Where was the character and chemistry during the reg season?

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 04:06 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
Probable? No.
Possible? Yes.

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 04:12 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Let's get to the playoffs first and then worry about winning the cup.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Like Ola kind of alluded to, the only way we'll win is if the opposing team(s) choke big time or are riddled with injuries
It happends more often then one might think.

Not that like all 4-5 contenders choke maybe, but there is a ton of examples of extremely good looking teams crashing hard.

A scenario as a example. Pitts plays Philly in the 1st round. Malkin gets injured before the PO's starts. Tough series and Flyers wins. Suddenly there would only be one team in the conference that I would say that we wouldn't have even a remote shot against. Lets say that they play Boston in the 1st round, Caps goaltender situation gets all messed up and Boston wins. All of a sudden the east is wide open.

Florida in 95', Carolina's first final and Caps final against Detroit is examples of teams not much better then we are right now making it to the SCF's. Buffalo came darn close when riding Hasek.

And Carolina won the 2nd time -- was they better then us? A cup winner always looks great. But they would never have won against Buffalo if Buff didn't have 5 injurys on the blueline at the same time. Would anyone have hailed that team if they would have lost in the 2nd round? Nope.

Now don't get me wrong, I am hardly high on this team. I've always been a firm believer that we will fight for a PO spot this season -- and that it would/will be tough to get one. But as long as a team believes in themselfs they've always got a shot.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 05:16 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

No, but like someone said, with a goalie like Lundqvist....there is always that small chance.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Garfinkel1

Yes, Last year we almost beat the Caps because of a HOT goalie. We were missing that superstar (Our PP was actually pretty good) . With a game-breaker and a goalie like Hank in net... we can win any game.

Now, If you ask me if I think we will win the cup... WELL THATS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:03 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I was talking to one of my teachers yesterday who is also a big Rangers fan. I asked him what he thought about the Rangers season and so on and blah blah blah, then I spoke my view on the team. I said that we have 2 elite players and a bunch of third liners and we're best off tanking this season because I find it difficult to believe we'd even make it to the second round, if we even make the playoff

He then told me that that's not the direction the team should go and that he thinks the team has enough talent to win it all. What do you think?
what a great sport this would be if every team outside of the top 8-10 just tried to out tank each other for the top pick huh?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
what a great sport this would be if every team outside of the top 8-10 just tried to out tank each other for the top pick huh?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

If by "we" u mean the Blackhawks then yes

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
monton in 06. Took out the President Trophy wings in the first round.... then San Jose...
Good example... Roloson played like a monster to get them to the final and than....

got injured

Several other players had amazing games along the way.... and Pronger logged huge minutes

12-25-2009, 07:18 PM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
Too many pessimists on this board. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Someone gave the example of the Oilers in 06. I feel like our team has more talent than that Oilers team did and look what happened. Of course, they didn't win it all, but they came really freakin' close.

I'm not saying we have the best team in the NHL or that we are going to win the Cup...obviously, there are many teams out there that are better than us. BUT, to say that we have absolutely no shot at it is ridiculous.
Bruins fan here,

I watched the entire Oilers' playoff run, and I've watched a bit of Rangers hockey this year...

I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement. The Oilers are consistently a very talented team. They're sort of like the Canadiens in the sense they play a speed game, and their "system" is based around offense (this is the first year in a long time where the Habs are arguably not a speed-based, offensive team since Jacques Martin is coaching)...in the PO's, a lot of people look to believe in "tough" teams like the Flyers (or so we all thought ), but every now and then, big time skill teams like the 06 Oilers find major success.

Aside from Gaborik and Lundqvist, the talent level of this year's Rangers isn't anywhere close to the 06 Oilers.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Rangerfans

I sincerely believe that the Ranger fanbase on the HF boards are all lemmings.

If we lose, "fire torts" "Henrik sucks" "Dreary..." blah blah blah, all dramatic, filled with exaggeration, all about scrapping our team for a "new one" the moment a losing streak happens.

If we win, we're turning it around, the cup is ours, etc.

It's why I believe that Devil fans - at times - are correct when talking about the idiocy of Ranger fans. It's so annoying.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

At first glance, absolutely not.

But i always think about the 2006 8th seeded Oilers.

Guys like Fernando Pisani were stepping up, and they gelled at the right time with great goaltending and some lucky bounces along the way. I believe anything is possible in sports, and while I wouldnt bet for a second this Rangers team would get within one win of a Stanley Cup Championship like that Oilers team did, its not out of the realm of possibility something like this could happen again, for any team - let alone the Rangers.

True, a team like that had a Chris Pronger - a shutdown defenseman that the Rangers are lacking, but Staal has shown he can shutdown top players and he is still growing. But they would need a huge jolt in secondary scoring (probably acquiring a playmaker and a scorer at the deadline) to really set themselves up for a run. But hey, it always comes down to a little luck too.

That dream aside... the answer is... no, not right now.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:06 PM
McMonster

if... IF we get to the playoffs, Gaborik will be double-teamed and shadowed so there has to be other players who can produce. That's the big problem with this team.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:34 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Me thinks the original poster had too much Egg Nog.
Well I do drink a lot of egg nog. lol

Really though, if we made it to the Stanley Cup finals that would be a MASSIVE accomplishment considering the major flaws this team has, the biggest of which is just chemistry. There are people here backing this mostly incompetent roster up as if we're legitimate contenders (I realize that we have hope with our youth in the future though). Yes we almost beat the Capitals last year, but even so, it was beyond unlikely that we would have beaten the Penguins, Hurricanes, and Red Wings because we didn't have a single consistent offensive threat.

Let's assume for a moment that Gaborik = Jagr for this years playoffs, if we make it. We'd be capable of making the second round. Appearing in the conference finals on the offensive strength of a single dependable forward would be incredible. Lundqvist would have to be impeccable in every series. The only way this team wins the cup this year is if we get LEGENDARY performances from BOTH Lundqvist and Gaborik, because let's face it, no one else is going to show up big for this team. It doesn't help Lundqvist that his defense always leaves him out to hang, and that Gaborik doesn't have real 1st line talent to work with (though that's obviously not slowing him down, but think of how much better he could be!).

We have some of the pieces for a championship team, but it's just not worth potentially giving up a very high draft pick (while we still have the chance to get one) for the long shot at the cup. With a little patience (I'm only begging for one year to tank) we could draft the impact player we need so desperately and increase the likelihood of winning it all. Give Gaborik ONE player that is even near his skill level and we all of a sudden are a much greater threat. Give him TWO and we will be in the finals. Period. Sather will undoubtedly drive us towards our most likely middle of the pack 18th pick overall though. Thwarting my evil fan plans. At least I have a ****ing plan though, Mr. Sather.

In my dream land I'd have us tank as the worst team in the league, we'd win the draft lottery, draft Taylor Hall, dump Rozsival's contract somewhere, bury Reddens in Hartford, and sign Ilya Kovalchuk. We could tweak our defense with just enough to get by because we'd have an elite goaltender and ...

Our first line would be Ilya Kovulchuk - Taylor Hall - Marian Gaborik. Yes, they would all be playing their natural positions, I wasn't just trying to force them on one line. *sigh* one can always dream...

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 12-25-2009 at 09:47 PM.
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Vito Andolini

Possible? Yes
Likely? No
Somewhat Likely? nope
Minutely Likely? Uh...still no
Snowballs chance in hell? Well...uhh...no

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
...(I'm only begging for one year to tank)...
In all seriousness, my advice is stop with this nonsense, you're embarrassing yourself.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:54 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
In all seriousness, my advice is stop with this nonsense, you're embarrassing yourself.
I'm not embarrassed at all. I'm well aware that tanking is an ugly, terrible, word, but in my mind the quickest way out of this endless cycle of mediocrity. If you don't agree with me you're free to speak your mind. Or maybe you like on the fly terrible free agent signings to "patch" our holes and first round exits.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
I'm not embarrassed at all.
Well, you should be.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:07 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Or maybe you like on the fly terrible free agent signings to "patch" our holes and first round exits.
Marian Gaborik says hey.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote