HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Do we have the talent to win the cup?

Old
12-25-2009, 10:12 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think the talent may be close. We've got a 50 goal scorer, we have role players, and we have a lot of players CAPABLE of 20 goals (guys that have either logged 20 goals in a season, or guys that have been on pace for 20 goals in not so many games) ... such as Lisin, Drury, Callahan, Dubinsky, Kotalik(ick), Prospal, Avery, Higgins. We have the elite goaltending, and Lundqvist has shown he can make saves when it counts. Our defense has shown they can play well against good teams.

What isn't there is consistency or chemistry.

On defense, our toughness is questionable, and inexperience is definitely an issue.

We lack a clear second best goalscorer, and we lack a clearcut #1 defenseman. Two ingredients I think make it very difficult to go anywhere in the playoffs without.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Ill just chime in with one thing.

We are a hell of a lot closer to competing for the cup than tanking.

...and I dont think we are anywhere near competing for the cup.

Once Drury and Redden (hopefully sooner rather than later in his case) come off the books we have to hope that smart decisons are made with that cap space (again, fingers firmly crossed with this management) and, along with major pieces like Lundqvist, Gaborik, Staal, and Del Zotto, we may actually be on to something.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:26 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Marian Gaborik says hey.
You really think he's going to single handedly give us the cup this year? Hell, I think he's the friggin MVP and I still think we don't stand much of a chance. All teams will do is double team Gaborik because he's all they have to worry about. Gaborik isn't a physical player and he's not the freak of nature Jagr was who could handle being double teamed well. We need at least one other elite offensive talent to take the pressure of Gaborik.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:27 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Well, you should be.
I'm not.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:51 PM
GAGLine

When the Giants were getting embarrassed by washington and minnesota in 2007, did anyone think they had any chance to win the super bowl?

This team has more talent than most people give them credit for. But a lot of things have to come together for them to compete for a cup.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
Lundqvist, Gaborik....and Kovalchuk? then yes ahah
With Kovalchuk, we would be similar, but inferior to the Pens. Ultimately, in a series against them, we'd be the underdogs, and the same with Wash.

That said, the team would have a chance to win Cup with the addition of Koval because Lund can outplay Fleury or potentially Gabby/Koval could outplay Cindy/Malkin. Kovalchuk is inferior to Cindy, but he could potentially have a better 7-game series, whereas someone like Kovalik or Prospal absolutely could not.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-25-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:02 PM
HockeyBurd*

Usually thread titles don't make me laugh. But this one did.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

If the Rangers 'have the talent to win the cup', it would be predicated on arguments that mean very few teams in the NHL are excluded.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Back From Cally

this fan base amazes me sometimes. a 4 game losing streak=tanks and failboats and a 4 game winning streak=the cup....

if lundqvist can play out of his mind for the entire playoffs, gaborik plays at his usual level and if most of our other "20-goal scorers", aka higgins cally prospal and drury, and our defense can contribute consistently over that stretch then its entirely possible for this team to win the cup. if this team gets hot in the playoffs i think theres a chance that we could go deep, but it all pretty much relies on if henrik can keep the GAA low. but id worry about the rangers making the playoffs first before anyone starts planning a parade

Back From Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:19 PM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

There have been plenty of teams with tons of talent that have gone nowhere. A team can beat talent. We are getting closer to a team….. We have plenty of players who are getting better could some of them have a break out year? There are those who are starting to play up to their expected potential. The stars in the haven must align but we could win the Cup.

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:36 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

This team lacks overall depth, and Lundqvist has not been consistent enough in the playoffs to date. I won't say that the playoffs last year was Lundqvist's fault, because it clearly wasn't, but he definitely didn't play his best hockey, and I'm sure even he would admit that.

This team isn't deep, they're not tough at all, and the guys that are supposed to be tough on this team (Brashear, Boyle, Voros) have been Kleenex soft. This team needs a Chris Neil, a 1st line center, a 2nd goal scorer, a top pairing defenseman, and another top-4 defensive bruising defenseman.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:23 AM
NYR Viper

No. Not as presently constructed.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:35 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
This team lacks overall depth, and Lundqvist has not been consistent enough in the playoffs to date. I won't say that the playoffs last year was Lundqvist's fault, because it clearly wasn't, but he definitely didn't play his best hockey, and I'm sure even he would admit that.

This team isn't deep, they're not tough at all, and the guys that are supposed to be tough on this team (Brashear, Boyle, Voros) have been Kleenex soft. This team needs a Chris Neil, a 1st line center, a 2nd goal scorer, a top pairing defenseman, and another top-4 defensive bruising defenseman.
I can't ever remember a time where i've screamed his name and pumped my fist (At the TV) as much as then, when he played amazing hockey.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
I can't ever remember a time where i've screamed his name and pumped my fist (At the TV) as much as then, when he played amazing hockey.
He makes a lot of good points besides the Lundqvist one.

Lundy played utterly insane those first four games.....He almost stole the series completely, COMPLETELY, by himself.

When you hear of goalies stealing series, I'm sure they had even just a bit more support than Lundy did.

He played phenominal, if he plays like that throughout the playoffs and if we make it to the playoffs, we have a chance at making it past the 1st and 2nd (less less likely but possible) round of the playoffs.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:36 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
He makes a lot of good points besides the Lundqvist one.

Lundy played utterly insane those first four games.....He almost stole the series completely, COMPLETELY, by himself.

When you hear of goalies stealing series, I'm sure they had even just a bit more support than Lundy did.

He played phenominal, if he plays like that throughout the playoffs and if we make it to the playoffs, we have a chance at making it past the 1st and 2nd (less less likely but possible) round of the playoffs.
Agreed, thats why I only bolded that.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:49 AM
darko

I'll have whatever your teacher is smoking. You can't have a team with 1 offensive star, 1 good 2nd liner and bunch of 3rd liners and expect to win it all regardless how good your goalie is. In playoffs other teams will just focus on your star player and if you have no secondary scoring (like us) you'll be in trouble.

On top of that we have 3 guys with making around 18 mill while making minimal contributions (Redden, Rozsival and Drury). You can't win with a setup like that.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:50 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ill just chime in with one thing.

We are a hell of a lot closer to competing for the cup than tanking.

...and I dont think we are anywhere near competing for the cup.

Once Drury and Redden (hopefully sooner rather than later in his case) come off the books we have to hope that smart decisons are made with that cap space (again, fingers firmly crossed with this management) and, along with major pieces like Lundqvist, Gaborik, Staal, and Del Zotto, we may actually be on to something.

Ughh I dont know about that. I think we are somewhere in the middle. Stuck in neutral to be honest.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

I'll say this much, with Marian Gaborik and Henrik Lundqvist you guys have the potential to steal a 7 game series against anyone. The rest of the guys have to pull their weight to get there, though.

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 03:07 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

get Nik Antropov

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I am not even sure this team could win the Calder cup. We have a bunch of third liners but no good third line. Hows that for irony ?
This post is priceless.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 07:44 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

i cant believe im seeing a thread with the cup even being mentioned.
this is beyond rediculous.
Perhaps todays game will bring folks nack down to earth.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 07:51 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

4 game win streak against....

the piles
the flyers
the canes
the cats

and were discussing if we have the talent to win the cup. bipolar much.

last time i checked you cant win the cup unless you make the playoffs

babysteps people.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 08:03 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
When the Giants were getting embarrassed by washington and minnesota in 2007, did anyone think they had any chance to win the super bowl?

This team has more talent than most people give them credit for. But a lot of things have to come together for them to compete for a cup.

Bad comparison. Football has a higher chance of upsets or having that unexpected team win a championship cause it's only one game. Everything has to go well the ball bounce your way no big mistakes by your team or coaching gaffes to win.
In a best of 7 series the better overall team usually wins. You may get an upset ONCE but asking for that to happen 3/4 times is too much.

NOTE* If the 07 Patriots played the 07 Giants in best of 7 series, my guess is the Patriots win.
This coming from a Giants fan.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

very unlikely but not impossible

a snowball's chance in hell? ok so there's still a chance!

Blueshirt Special is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Is this an early April Fool's Day joke?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote