HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov's influence on Korneev

Old
12-26-2009, 09:49 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Konstantin Korneyev - Montreal needs to get to the NHL

Okay Konstantin Korneyev has been added to the Russian team once again for International play, this time the Olympics.

What can Montreal do to get this guy over?

He is 25, 26 this summer and would step in immediately and would more than likely be a top 4 Dman, and a building block to keep Markov here afterwards as well.

He seems like the real deal, obviously he is making good money in the KHL as he is probably one of their elite Dmen over there.

Gainey and Co. need to get him.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:51 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

At what cost?

What does he make in the KHL right now? We'd likely have to double it due to the taxes. Plus, he seems like the kinda of guy who likes to stay near home, so you might have to triple it and hope no one else over there matches.

I don't see him coming over, unfortunately.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think he wants to stay in Russia...more money, family ect.

The only way I could see him coming is if we offer him sick money, which will not happen.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:54 AM
RE-HABS

It would be nice to see him sign a one year to come over to see if he would like it. The way the NHL has worked out for KHL or Euro Elite teams to take players on to take the salaries of the books I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem getting picked back up by his KHL team.

Old
12-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

There was word coming from the Korneev camp, apparently (per Pierre McGuire) that he planned to come over once his contract was up this season. He said this during a World Championship broadcast - but I can't remember if that was last year or the year before.

Also, there's never really been any word if Gainey and company are even interested in Korneev. I believe he was drafted a year or two before Gainey took the helm, which could be the reason he's never been brought over.

He's a great player though, no doubt. Easily a top-4 type guy.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:07 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
There was word coming from the Korneev camp, apparently (per Pierre McGuire) that he planned to come over once his contract was up this season. He said this during a World Championship broadcast - but I can't remember if that was last year or the year before.

Also, there's never really been any word if Gainey and company are even interested in Korneev. I believe he was drafted a year or two before Gainey took the helm, which could be the reason he's never been brought over.

He was drafted the year before Gainey came, I believe there was no rush in getting him over as he was a late round gem from Timmins and Savard. He seems to have evolved into a great national team player in the Russian system.

At his age all the Habs would have to do is guarantee him a top 4 spot, which they could.

Imagine;

Markov - Korneyev
Hammer - Spacek
Gill - Gorges
*O'Byrne, Subban and Weber

**Mara and Bergeron are UFA's.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:08 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

My only question is at what cost? 3M-4M?

If he can replace Hammer for 3M rather then 5.5M then I am all for bringing him over...

Old
12-26-2009, 10:09 AM
MXD

At least 3M a year.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:10 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
My only question is at what cost? 3M-4M?

If he can replace Hammer for 3M rather then 5.5M then I am all for bringing him over...
That could possibly be the answer, Hammer would be in the final year of his contract and at the way he has looked this year (and his time in Montreal) he would be attractive to teams out there. Maybe a San Jose who has Rob Blake in his last contract, or a Anaheim who may move Niedermeyer would like a Hammer???

Old
12-26-2009, 10:14 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
That could possibly be the answer, Hammer would be in the final year of his contract and at the way he has looked this year (and his time in Montreal) he would be attractive to teams out there. Maybe a San Jose who has Rob Blake in his last contract, or a Anaheim who may move Niedermeyer would like a Hammer???
Exactly..

If we can get Korneyev for 3-4M per season and save that 1.5-2.5M in salary we will have far less trouble keeping Plekanec in the fold... Which I think is crucial to our future.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:20 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Exactly..

If we can get Korneyev for 3-4M per season and save that 1.5-2.5M in salary we will have far less trouble keeping Plekanec in the fold... Which I think is crucial to our future.
Hummm... I don't see Korneev (is it spelled that way?) having the same role than Hamrlik at all. Actually, whether we offer something to Korneev might have more to do with the perception of Matthieu Carle. For whatever reason, I think he's the closer player we have to Korneev.

Then again, I don't know that much about Korneev.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:23 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Hummm... I don't see Korneev (is it spelled that way?) having the same role than Hamrlik at all. Actually, whether we offer something to Korneev might have more to do with the perception of Matthieu Carle. For whatever reason, I think he's the closer player we have to Korneev.

Then again, I don't know that much about Korneev.
I think Weber and Subban have jumped Carle in the pecking order on the team for D depth in prospects. They can't be compared, Carle and Konstantin Korneyev. One is a Minor leaguer, and the other is on the Russian Olympic team with the best NHL and KHL players.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Kid Dynomite

Is this guy the next Emelin -- i.e. a Russian defenseman whom everyone gets pumped up about every year only to have the guy stay in Europe?

Kid Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:26 AM
MXD

Quote:
I think Weber and Subban have jumped Carle in the pecking order on the team for D depth in prospects. They can't be compared, Carle and Konstantin Korneyev. One is a Minor leaguer, and the other is on the Russian Olympic team with the best NHL and KHL players.
I was more talking in terms of comparable skillset.

And I don't think Weber is ahead of Carle as far as the long term depth chart is concerned.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:27 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
I was more talking in terms of comparable skillset.

And I don't think Weber is ahead of Carle as far as the long term depth chart is concerned.
I would say he is, as Weber is the call up option almost 99% of the time. Carle had a cup of coffee and looked decent, he won't be valuable to the Habs in the offensive role that Subban and Weber can be though.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:30 AM
MXD

Quote:
I would say he is, as Weber is the call up option almost 99% of the time. Carle had a cup of coffee and looked decent, he won't be valuable to the Habs in the offensive role that Subban and Weber can be though.
... I would see things like you do, if Weber would, well, play during his callups. And since I see Carle as something of a safer D than Weber, I have him higher on the depthchart. In other words, we might need Carle more than Weber, which doesn't mean Weber is lower on the depth chart (sorry for my somewhat bad wording earlier).

Old
12-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
We have this thread every year. If the guy hasn't come over at this point, I can't see why he'd want to now.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:44 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
... I would see things like you do, if Weber would, well, play during his callups. And since I see Carle as something of a safer D than Weber, I have him higher on the depthchart. In other words, we might need Carle more than Weber, which doesn't mean Weber is lower on the depth chart (sorry for my somewhat bad wording earlier).
Carle may unseat Weber in the capacity of an all around Dman, as would Subban.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:44 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
We have this thread every year. If the guy hasn't come over at this point, I can't see why he'd want to now.
Usually it is a Emelin thread. lol

Old
12-26-2009, 10:50 AM
MXD

Quote:
Carle may unseat Weber in the capacity of an all around Dman, as would Subban.
That really makes sense.
That's also why I often bring up Subban as the guy who'll eventually take Spacek's spot in the lineup (as opposed to take Bergeron's spot).

Old
12-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Hermamoud

Is it Korneev or Korneyev?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Belso

It's sad to see our draft picks succeed but not play for the Habs.. It's such a waste..

I also think he likes it in Russia... I don't expect him to come over.. too bad..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:15 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
Is it Korneev or Korneyev?
The Olympic roster has Konstantin Korneyev.

Old
12-26-2009, 11:16 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
It's sad to see our draft picks succeed but not play for the Habs.. It's such a waste..

I also think he likes it in Russia... I don't expect him to come over.. too bad..
The main deterrent from drafting Russians is that reason, the KHL is hurting them from coming over and also makes them demand outrageous money too.

Old
12-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Remember last year's playoffs?

Weber has had two significant call ups. He was good in the first one and bad in the second one. To be fair to him, the entire team was horrible in his second one too.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote