HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Should the Rangers target Filatov?

Old
12-26-2009, 09:21 AM
HoosierDaddy

vCash: 500
Should the Rangers target Filatov?

I was thinking about Filatov's being loaned to the KHL. He's stated his desire to return next year, but I doubt that he will is Hitch is the coach. And he's not going anywhere.

Should we try to pry him from the BJ's? And if so, what would you be willing to send back?

I like Sanguinetti, who I think will be a really solid two-way Dman in the very near future. Would Sang and a 5th rounder or prospect (Werek) be enough? I don't really think so given Filatov's draft position. What do you guys/gals think?

Keep in mind that you have to give to get. I think if we did package Werek we'd need something coming back to even it out a bit.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:31 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
I was thinking about Filatov's being loaned to the KHL. He's stated his desire to return next year, but I doubt that he will is Hitch is the coach. And he's not going anywhere.

Should we try to pry him from the BJ's? And if so, what would you be willing to send back?

I like Sanguinetti, who I think will be a really solid two-way Dman in the very near future. Would Sang and a 5th rounder or prospect (Werek) be enough? I don't really think so given Filatov's draft position. What do you guys/gals think?

Keep in mind that you have to give to get. I think if we did package Werek we'd need something coming back to even it out a bit.
That is a huge jump in value from a 5th rounder and Werek (A 2nd rounder last year that has been excellent in the OHL this season).

I think that the Blue Jackets should cut their losses and try to get some value for him, especially if they think that Filatov won't play for Hitch. Sangs and a pick won't get it done this year, but this summer or next season if he refuses to comeback because of Hitch, I think it could.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Despite all of this KHL drama he's still one of the best prospects in hockey, maybe the best not in the NHL. Why would any team give that kind of player up for Sangs and a 5th? I think Dubinsky and a 1st is more realistic.. maybe.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:40 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
That is a huge jump in value from a 5th rounder and Werek (A 2nd rounder last year that has been excellent in the OHL this season).

I think that the Blue Jackets should cut their losses and try to get some value for him, especially if they think that Filatov won't play for Hitch. Sangs and a pick won't get it done this year, but this summer or next season if he refuses to comeback because of Hitch, I think it could.
I agree, but we fans have a tendency to offer the least possible to get back what we want in a trade. We don't have a 3rd pick (gone for Boyle), a 2nd is too rich, me thinks. We could use the 4th to nab a player that drops due to injury or transfer agreement. That's why I figured a 5th rounder, but even I don't think a 5th rounder is enough for a potential elite offensive talent like Filatov.

I threw Werek's name out there because he represents a solid prospect not named Grachev, Kreider or Stepan.

I think there has been a breach of trust/confidence between the player, the coach and the management. That may or may bot be reparable. But given the thin top-end talent on the farm I think adding a potential stud like Filatov.

What I'm wondering is what would constitute a "fair" deal. not a steal.

Old
12-26-2009, 09:45 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Despite all of this KHL drama he's still one of the best prospects in hockey, maybe the best not in the NHL. Why would any team give that kind of player up for Sangs and a 5th? I think Dubinsky and a 1st is more realistic.. maybe.
Agreed, but a prospect is still a prospect. The idea is to make the BJ's whole by sending back a package that represents equal value. I think your package is overpayment, but that's just me. If Dubi were to go, which we can't do given our situation at center, there's no way we through in a 1st rounder that will be in teh 15-23 range. I think any trade with the BJ's has to start with a Dman, which we have in abundance.

If I were keen on sending them Dubi then no way will do they get a first rounder. Then the 5th rounder is somewhat more palatable. We know what Dubi can do.

Old
12-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post

My thoughts exactly...

Although I do disagree with you on Sangs. Offensive Dmen are a hot commodity. I think Sangs would be a great start for a team who are lacking of defensive prospects (I think...). Since Filatov is showing so much promise we would have to sweeten the deal a bit. Maybe a 3rd,4th round. I wouldn't be inclined in trading away players who are still developing that are a few years from making the NHL that look like they could turn into quality 2nd line players.

Plus, it seems this team is taking a russian twist to it. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Yeah, Dubinsky and a 1st is way overpayment imo.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:08 AM
FOXHOUND*

I'm gonna pass on any other Russians from the Blue Jackets

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:16 AM
TheHotRock

if columbus would take sangs and a 2nd, i'd be all over it. i think bobby is gonna develop into a solid second pairing guy who can play on the pp, but filatov has superstar potential. worth the risk

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:34 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Normally I would say sure but I have to admit the Zherdev debacle has me a little wary.

12-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Hoosier just seems to miss a having a Russian doggin' it out there.

Anisimov and Lisin work too hard for his taste, I suppose.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:13 AM
94now

Russian is the only "defect" Rangers could count on. it has only to do with KHL, nothing else. Should Zherdev be Swede he would be playing on our 2nd line providing a necessary secondary scoring. I hope Sather loaned Z to KHL too and Nick will wear blue next season.

As for Filatov, I don't think BJ gave up on him at all. That talk is way premature, since he will not be traded any time soon.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:13 AM
azrok22

Regarding the Zherdev trade... Tyutin has largely regressed from last season, and the trade isn't so lopsided in Columbus' favor as one would think.

If you visit the Columbus boards you'll find quite a bit of of hate towards Toots (which is a shame, I was always fond of him and expected a lot more).

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Giacomin

I still think Filatov will be a superstar in the next 5 years. Some players just take longer to fully develop. If he becomes available and we don,t get him we will probably regret it.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:26 AM
SML

How many lazy Russian reclamation projects are we going to take on before we stop messing with them? No thanks.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:45 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Normally I would say sure but I have to admit the Zherdev debacle has me a little wary.
Please define.

Let's not bring Z into this argument. There are enough Zherdev threads, and frankly, that's yesterday's news.

Old
12-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Ola

He still haven't proven me that he will be more then a poor mans Afinegenov.

People can call him lazy and what not, when I've seen him he shown speed and then a big nothing else. I am not suprised about him not being a hit in Columbus.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Ola

He still haven't proven me that he will be more then a poor mans Afinegenov.

People can call him lazy and what not, when I've seen him he shown speed and then a big nothing else. I am not suprised about him not being a hit in Columbus.

With that said -- I wouldn't mind moving Sangs for him. Bobby S haven't exactly shown more then Filatov. Both are good prospects.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:48 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hoosier just seems to miss a having a Russian doggin' it out there.

Anisimov and Lisin work too hard for his taste, I suppose.
BRB - keep rising to the bait.

The lunchpail kids on the Rangers are really lighting it up.

I'll take skill over intangibles. Thank you very much.

Old
12-26-2009, 12:02 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I would be focused on Alexander Radulov and this guy if I'm Sather. To get those kind of talents at dirt cheap prices would be huge, especially considering how well guys like Higgins and Kotalik are working at making 5.25 million combined between them this year.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:32 PM
ecemleafs

sure i would target filatov. i love how zherdev is a debacle though. tied for the team lead in points last year but we thought giving him .9m more than kotalik wasnt good value.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I still think Filatov will be a superstar in the next 5 years. Some players just take longer to fully develop. If he becomes available and we don,t get him we will probably regret it.
Ala Bobby Ryan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
sure i would target filatov. i love how zherdev is a debacle though. tied for the team lead in points last year but we thought giving him .9m more than kotalik wasnt good value.
Yeah. This team would be much higher in the standings if we kept him.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:48 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I would be focused on Alexander Radulov and this guy if I'm Sather. To get those kind of talents at dirt cheap prices would be huge, especially considering how well guys like Higgins and Kotalik are working at making 5.25 million combined between them this year.
Re. Radulov - Dead wrong. You can keep whiny Russian B***hes that don't honor their contracts, thank you very much.

Last edited by benneyb: 12-26-2009 at 12:59 PM.
benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:55 PM
eco's bones

I don't know. I think is very premature to start labeling Filatov as lazy. He's still young enough to be playing in the WJC. He is a potential elite player. Sanguinetti is a potential pretty good player. It would take a bit more than Bobby to get him IMO.

Filatov would be intriguing as a Russian player without a lot of the issues of language etc. Anyway it took Gaborik a few years to get it together--Filatov might some day be an equivalent player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:57 PM
pwoz

Filatov has 6 goals in 21 NHL games.. with Hitch as coach.... how is he NOT on that team??

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
Re. Radulov - Dead wrong. You can keep whiny Russian B***hes that don't honor their contracts, thank you very much.
You need sensitivity training, or something. The discrimination on these boards towards Russians is astounding.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote