ROLB- #83 Ted Hendricks

CB- #26 Herb Adderley
CB- #40 Bobby Boyd / #23 Troy Vincent
S- #8 Larry Wilson
S- #28 Darren Woodson

K- #4 Jason Hanson
P- #10 Todd Sauerbrun
RET- #49 Bobby Mitchell

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 12-21-2009 at 02:32 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
GM - EllisToLeafsNation & Adam Sinister
Coach - George Halas
QB - Dan Marino
RB - Emmitt Smith
FB - Marion Motley
WR - Michael Irvin
WR - Torry Holt
TE - Tony Gonzales
LT - Anthony Munoz
LG - Jim Parker
C- Alex Wojciechowicz
RG - Walt Kiesling
RT- Matt Light

DE - Andy Robustelli
DT - Bill Willis
DT - Curley Culp
DE - Coy Bacon
ROLB - George Connor
MLB - Willie Lanier
LOLB - Bill Bergey
CB - Nnamdi Asomghua
FS - Ken Houston
SS - Brian Dawkins
CB - Dave Brown

K - Jim Bakken
P - Rohn Stark
KR - Wes Welker
PR - Wes Welker

BN - Cliff Branch (WR)
BN - Steve Tasker (WR)
BN - Sam Madison (CB)
BN - Troy Brown (WR/CB)

Old
12-21-2009, 10:53 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

vCash: 500
the packers are coached by hank stram; not listed at the top of the thread

FlyersHomer DM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:24 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

A very important matchup for the Packers, facing the same GM who defeated me in the first ATD finals. Despite the differential in seeding, I like my team's chances at winning on the road. The Packers aren't overwhelming in any area, but are strong in every area. This was evident in our first round matchup, where, as the game progressed, a very formidable opponent in the Guns were picked apart.

We're gonna have to go up against, I think, the strongest offense in the draft. Dan Marino has two great wideouts to throw to, a great catching TE, and two elite all-time running backs. I knew I would be facing a prolific running team at some point in the draft, so I drafted Ted Washington to line up right on Walt Kiesling in run situations. Kiesling played during a time where players weren't nearly as large as Washington. It will require a double team to stop Ted Washington from stopping inside run plays in the backfield. Merlin Olsen, though lined up on the great Parker, against a single team could eventually pay off for the Pack.

The left side of SD's line is strong, with all-timers Munoz and Parker, but it's just as vulnerable on the right side with Kiesling and Matt Light. Matt Light has had a good couple of seasons in the league, but hasn't carved out his spot in history just yet. I think Haley at DE or Bobby Bell at OLB on Light's side is a great matchup for the Pack. Merlin Olsen vs. Jim Parker inside could be one of the great 1 on 1 matchups of the competition.

We're not gonna shut down Smith and Motley, but we have the talent in the front seven, and with Larry Wilson/Darren Woodson in support, to minimize the yardage. Our linebacking core is one of, if not the best, in the draft. Expect plays to be made by Bell and Ted Hendricks on the outside. The use of Washington aside of Merlin Olsen in the middle could allow for Bill George to fly in and make some run plays.

I feel the same way for passing. We can't expect to entirely negate a QB like Marino. However with Adderley on Irvin, Boyd on Holt, and Larry Wilson to help, dont expect a huge day passing. I think our pass rush can be a factor; it was in the last game, getting in the face of another great QB in Unitas, and forcing turnovers. If we exploit the right side, and Haley/Bell get going, I think the rest of the pass rush could open up. All three linebackers can cover the pass, so Gonzalez will have difficulty getting many opportunities. Mark Bavaro didn't see the ball much in the first round, to justify that.

To summarize, I don't see San Diego having the liberties on offense that they did in the first round

Offense
In the first round matchup, the Pack chalked up 38 points against a pretty solid defense of the Guns. In this matchup vs. the Chargers, I feel we have several key advantages which could allow us to put up just as many points.

The first round saw Jerry Rice be Jerry Rice, with 100+ yards and two scores. Charlie Joiner scored as well. The Guns sent out Mike Haynes and Eric Allen to defend the pair of wideouts. This time it’s a much more favorable matchup, against Dave Brown and Nnamdi Asamougha. Asamougha was an all pro in one season, but there’s not much more out there, he is a huge variable in a competition such as this. Brown could be vulnerable against whichever receiver he is lined up against.

The outstanding Charger safeties, Houston and Dawkins, will be in a precarious position for this game. The corners, at times, could require help over the top; but at the same time, John Mackey will require attention from the safeties. Keeping SD off balance will hopefully be a theme of this game, and I believe the passing game will be the key to that. A deep Brett Favre pass play to Rice or Joiner could be the result of the safeties’ multitude of responsibilities for this game.

The Chargers linebacking core is anchored by one of the best in Willie Lanier; I don’t doubt at all that he will make several plays, sideline to sideline, and be a factor in what we want to get accomplished, running or passing. However, we can exploit some of the matchups against the OLB’s, Connor and Bergey. Bill Bergey was, primarily a middle ‘backer, George Connor played on the line at times, both are stronger, but slower players.

In the first matchup, we ran to the outside with Marcus Allen, also expect to see a few toss plays of Riggins led by his teammate, Russ Grimm. Connor and Bergey lined up on Mackey, Allen, and at times, Roger Craig on 3rd downs could be a tough matchup for them as well.

The running game has an advantage for the Packers; Bill Willis and Curley Culp are formidable in the middle, but matched up on Langer, Otto, and Grimm, they won’t overpower the running attack. Jim Otto will be able to get free and slow down Lanier on the second level of defenders. Ball control, based around this running attack will be key in keeping the ball out of Marino’s hands.

Once again, the x-factor of the offense is Favre. The SD pass rush will have trouble getting to Favre. The D-ends of Coy Bacon and Andy “Eggs” Robustelli could make plays, but won’t overwhelm HOF’ers Yary and Wright. The two OLB’s of Connor and Bergey lack the speed to bring additional pressure. No pressure on Favre means a limiting of turnovers. If Favre has time, which I think he will, he could end up out-gunning Marino.

Last edited by FlyersHomer DM03: 12-22-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old
12-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 400
On offense, I think I have a major advantage on any team. Motley and Gonzales are both more than capable blockers on any given down. Smith is a capable receiver, as evidenced by his 3,000+ receiving yards. Gonzales needs no further introduction. Motley, while not a prolific receiver due in part to era, did average 13 yards per reception over his career. Marino can quickly get rid of the ball, and has very viable check down options. Green Bay's secondary is also a bit undermanned if we choose to send out a five receiver set.

On defense, I have to disagree about Bergey's speed. He could make tackles sideline to sideline; you can't break the record for most career tackles without constantly being around the ball. While he does have a short resume, Nnamdi had a season for the ages last year.

"1. Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders

Season Totals: 29 attempts, 4.97 YPA, 62.07 Forced INC%, 0 TDs, 1 INT

My two cents: Was this the best season ever for a CB? Asomugha was only thrown at 29 times the entire season and allowed just 9 receptions. He allowed two catches (both to Tony Gonzalez) over an eight-game span in the middle of the season. He allowed 144 yards receiving for the season, and 46 of those came on one play against the Chargers where he misjudged an under-thrown pass to Vincent Jackson. If a CB has had a better season than this, I'd like to see the numbers." (http://www.rototimes.com/article.php?article_id=26108)

Robustelli was known as a great pass rusher, and Bacon is often credited with the record for most sacks in a season with 26 (though this was before sacks were an official statistic). I think they're both being overlooked a little in this match up. That'll be the key, though. If they, along with Culp and Willis, can pressure Favre, there's no way they can keep up with our firepower on offense.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:22 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam sinister View Post

"1. Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders

Season Totals: 29 attempts, 4.97 YPA, 62.07 Forced INC%, 0 TDs, 1 INT
Jerry Rice
Pro Bowls-1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2002

1549 Receptions, 22895 Yards, 197 TD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam sinister View Post
Green Bay's secondary is also a bit undermanned if we choose to send out a five receiver set.
Really. There are what, four bench spots.

I think San Diego's defense will be running out of gas in the fourth quarter. There is nobody to rotate in on the linebacking core, or on the d-line. The Packers are more than equipped, and are able to send in a 3-4 look as well, with Klecko-Washington-Olsen; and Haley/Hendricks-Jordan-George-Bell.

Also, Smith and Motley are going to face some tough tacklers. There is no option to spell either back. Roger Craig as a pass catching and also running threat on 3rd down gives the Packers a chance to rest Allen during drives.

Old
12-26-2009, 01:28 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
AP-San Diego

This AFC Semifinal matchup would pit the Green Bay Packers of Wisconsin against the sunny San Diego Chargers. The game would be hosted in San Diego, so the weather would prove to be a non-factor being it was 65 and sunny out.

Both teams have impressive RBs, and a solid WR corps. A key matchup of the game looks to be the matchup between the Green Bay secondary against Dan Marino. Dan Marino was able to torch the Guns' defense in the previous round, but should face a more formidable opponent this time. If Anthony Munoz & Co. can give Marino enough time to throw, then San Diego will have the advantage.

The game started off slowly, as both teams attempted to establish their running game on their first drives, but were unsuccessful. Willie Lanier highlighted the beginning moments of the first quarter with a forced fumble after hitting Marcus Allen trying to go up the middle. San Diego began with the ball at near midfield, but were unable to establish much in terms of offense.

On Green Bay's second drive, Brett Favre was able to find Jerry Rice on a slant pattern that picked up 37 yards. From there, the Green Bay offensive line was able to establish the running game, using a constant stream of Marcus Allen and Roger Craig as a powerful changeup to drive the ball down to the San Diego 8. From there, TE John Mackey ran a delayed route, acting as a blocker and then peeling off into the flat to pick up the score.

San Diego came roaring back at the beginning of the first quarter, Dan Marino effectively used short passes and Tony Gonzalez as an outlet to drive the ball against a frustrated Green Bay defense. Emmitt Smith had 4 carries for 27 yards on the drive that was capped off by a bubble screen to Torry Holt where he was able to just dive inside of the pylon, but not after being hit hard by Herb Adderley.

Halfway through the second quarter, Jerry Rice was able to break free from Nnamdi Asomugha's coverage as Brett Favre gunned the ball 55 yards downfield, and Rice trotted in for a touchdown, making the score 14-7 Green Bay.

Again, a heavy dose of Emmitt Smith proved successful for San Diego, who with about 5 minutes remaining in the half drove the ball deep into Green Bay territory, highlighted by a 27 yard run by Smith. But once they reached the Green Bay 11, their offense stalled and their hopes for 7 died when Merlin Olsen was able to break free and sack Dan Marino for a loss of 7. They settled for a field goal, making the score 14-10 going into half.

To begin the second half, San Diego had the ball. They received good field position at their own 48 thanks to a nice return by the ever-elusive Wes Welker. Once there, followed by the left side of their offensive line that boasts two of the best linemen of all time in Munoz & Parker, Smith followed some crushing blocks from Marion Motley to take the ball into the red zone. Once there, Tony Gonzalez ran a hitch route and caught the ball in the endzone for a touchdown, giving San Diego a 3 point lead.

The resilient Brett Favre then led a very balanced drive for the Packers, going 73 yards mostly thanks to short passes to Charlie Joiner and Jerry Rice. The drive was capped off by a 1 yard plunge up the middle by Roger Craig. Once again, Green Bay led 20-17.

The rest of the third quarter would go by without much offense, as the defenses held strong and were able to neutralize the running games of both teams, forcing 3rd & long situations.

With about 7 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter, Munoz and Gonzalez were able to seal the left edge for Emmitt Smith, who was able to avoid a blizting Green Bay linebacking corps, and juked out the last man in his way, Larry Wilson to go in for a 64 yard score. But on the extra point attempt, Merlin Olsen made his presence felt by blocking the extra point and holding the San Diego lead to just 3.

With 4 minutes remaining in the game, Brett Favre was in his favorite situation. He had led teams back countless times before, and started the drive off scorching, completing 2 passes to Jerry Rice, 2 to Bobby Mitchell, and another to John Mackey for a total of 44 yards. The ball was at the San Diego 33 when the whistle for the two minute warning blew. The game looked to be destined for at least overtime, barring disaster for the Packers. Favre, being the gun-slinger he is, tried to fit the ball into a very tight spot, intending the pass for Jerry Rice in the end-zone. Ken Houston stepped right in front of Rice, and picked the ball off, essentially ending the game, and crushing the hopes for a Green Bay comeback.

The final score was 23-20, and despite being on the losing team Jerry Rice was named MVP of the game, putting in a tremendous effort which included 13 receptions for 156 yards and a touchdown.

San Diego will face Buffalo in the AFC Championship Game.