HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Frolov won't be going to Vancouver-Doesn't make Russian Olympic team.

Old
12-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
ROFL.

My how things have changed. 2 years ago me and Reaper become arch enemies because of my lack of affection to Fro and Cammy and now we stand eye to eye in the matter. Dont wanna tell you I told you so Reap <3
Don't get me wrong I still like the guy. He just doesn't seem like the type of person where something like this is going to light a fire under his ass. He's far too apathetic.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:37 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Don’t see where this is much of a “shocking” development; the comeback season of Afinogenov simply pushed Frolov just out of the top six, and based on how the Russians wanted to structure their team, Frolov had to make the top six if he was going to make the team. Frolov’s not going to push aside the best Russians in the world, like Ovechkin or Malkin or Semin or Kovalchuk, and Datsyuk’s championship pedigree was too much to pass up. Frolov’s a better player than any of the guys on the bottom two lines, so this is more of a “team philosophy” thing than anything else. It certainly doesn’t help Frolov’s case that he’s been on an NHL team that’s had no success at all.

I’m also not surprised at some of the reaction in this thread and on other sites; seeing the typical early-to-midseason BS about Frolov year after year just gets old, beyond old. This thread is as good as any to keep as a reference, because it’s usually Frolov’s style to heat up as the season goes along. If the Kings make the playoffs, Frolov is as likely a candidate as anyone on the team to be their best player in them. It’ll be entertaining at least to re-visit some of the foolish and short-sighted garbage that’s being said about him now.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Don't get me wrong I still like the guy. He just doesn't seem like the type of person where something like this is going to light a fire under his ass. He's far too apathetic.
I think so too. What I find most interesting is that this is more about how Frolov interprets this and not us. Does he blame himself or will be blame the team for not putting him on a top line and giving him "quality minutes"? How he responds may be crucial to his future play as a King. If he does get a fire under his ass and plays well then you know its there. If he's out there feeling sorry for himself and hating the organization for not giving him a fair shake then it will become obvious in his play.

Either way, time for him to not rely on his talent and to work harder. DL ought to call him out just like he called Kopitar and Dustin Brown out at the end of last season. Fro can do it..question is,,does he care and how much?

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Donít see where this is much of a ďshockingĒ development; the comeback season of Afinogenov simply pushed Frolov just out of the top six, and based on how the Russians wanted to structure their team, Frolov had to make the top six if he was going to make the team. Frolovís not going to push aside the best Russians in the world, like Ovechkin or Malkin or Semin or Kovalchuk, and Datsyukís championship pedigree was too much to pass up. Frolovís a better player than any of the guys on the bottom two lines, so this is more of a ďteam philosophyĒ thing than anything else. It certainly doesnít help Frolovís case that heís been on an NHL team thatís had no success at all.

Iím also not surprised at some of the reaction in this thread and on other sites; seeing the typical early-to-midseason BS about Frolov year after year just gets old, beyond old. This thread is as good as any to keep as a reference, because itís usually Frolovís style to heat up as the season goes along. If the Kings make the playoffs, Frolov is as likely a candidate as anyone on the team to be their best player in them. Itíll be entertaining at least to re-visit some of the foolish and short-sighted garbage thatís being said about him now.
Good insight. Not sure about the hot streak at the end. I've always viewed Fro as a still blooming type of player who just never hit his potential but you maybe right..

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 03:42 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
I think so too. What I find most interesting is that this is more about how Frolov interprets this and not us. Does he blame himself or will be blame the team for not putting him on a top line and giving him "quality minutes"? How he responds may be crucial to his future play as a King. If he does get a fire under his ass and plays well then you know its there. If he's out there feeling sorry for himself and hating the organization for not giving him a fair shake then it will become obvious in his play.
if anything has been certain, Frolov has never really been one to "blame" anything or point fingers at anyone. he's never really given any indication that he's that type of player.

Quote:
Either way, time for him to not rely on his talent and to work harder. DL ought to call him out just like he called Kopitar and Dustin Brown out at the end of last season. Fro can do it..question is,,does he care and how much?

he did, and he responded. despite the fact that he hasn't been scoring, his overall play has been very good since he's been benched... much more consistent than the other two.

i think his omission is a result of a couple of things, and a number of people are way overreacting about the reason(s) why; 1. he's simply not putting up any numbers... especially those necessary for a top sixer on the Russian squad, 2. Max Afinogenov is having a helluva year so far, 3. there has got to be a certain level of politics regarding the KHL involved here.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
3. there has got to be a certain level of politics regarding the KHL involved here.
Far be it for me to play conspiracy theorist...but I can definitely see the Russians using this as a platform for the KHL. This way, when/if Russia wins the tourney, they can say they won it with as many KHL as NHL players, pumping their home league. When it becomes a numbers game between NHL and KHL players, Frolov becomes a casualty.

Edit: Obviously it's not the ONLY reason, as you said above. But I think this reason is getting downplayed for now (with good reason; it's mostly speculation).

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Just looking at their lineup, they will run and gun, not exactly Frolov's style. Doesn't help that Afinogenov plays with Kovy, basically replacing Frolov's regular spot. I think this is a mistake on their part, the games are played on NHL ice, are they not? Fro would still bring so much value to their depth.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Jwm1986

Considering Frolov is one of the most talented Russians in the world, this is very surprising....id be interested to see what their exact reasoning was..

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:18 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Far be it for me to play conspiracy theorist...but I can definitely see the Russians using this as a platform for the KHL. This way, when/if Russia wins the tourney, they can say they won it with as many KHL as NHL players, pumping their home league. When it becomes a numbers game between NHL and KHL players, Frolov becomes a casualty.

Edit: Obviously it's not the ONLY reason, as you said above. But I think this reason is getting downplayed for now (with good reason; it's mostly speculation).
i wouldn't necessarily cry conspiracy or anything like that as a way of furthering the KHL. i definitely think it's simple math... more of a confluence. he's simply NOT having a good season... technically, and someone like Afinogenov is.

and as far as the KHL is concerned, it may be more of a comfort fit in terms of being able to round out the bottom end of the roster based on more readily accessible players in terms of scouting... i think that if there's any sort of lean towards "conspiracy," it'd be the fact that (i think) Ak-Bars is icing the most players from their league, and they were last year's champions... were they not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munnn View Post
Just looking at their lineup, they will run and gun, not exactly Frolov's style. Doesn't help that Afinogenov plays with Kovy, basically replacing Frolov's regular spot. I think this is a mistake on their part, the games are played on NHL ice, are they not? Fro would still bring so much value to their depth.
i think this may be the idea here... a lineup with more of an emphasis on speed, which is why you see guys like Afinogenov and Morozov. i may have opted against selecting Frolov as well unless the tourney was going to be played on NHL ice, which i why i think Fedorov's inclusion is a bit of a joke here.

Old
12-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Snyper8

wow. what a snub line. frolov-kozlov-kovalev. would be a top line for other countries. all 3 seem to share qualities that may have led to being left off of the roster.

Snyper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:38 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

C'mon, it's not some KHL 'conspiracy'.

Frolov had his position in the olympics all but guaranteed (Kovalchuk-Malkin-Frolov) until he put in a half-assed effort at 2009 World Championships, and put in a half-assed effort this year so far. He was replaced by Afinogenov who's been playing well with Kovalchuk.

At the expense of talent, coach Bykov demands 100% effort and commitment for national team players (the reason why KHLers like Zubov and Zherdev aren't on the team). And unlike Frolov, everybody that made the team has always given 100% effort for team Russia....yes, even Viktor Kozlov.

Like I said earlier, Frolov has no one to blame but himself.

Zine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:44 AM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
C'mon, it's not some KHL 'conspiracy'.

Frolov had his position in the olympics all but guaranteed (Kovalchuk-Malkin-Frolov) until he put in a half-assed effort at 2009 World Championships, and put in a half-assed effort this year so far. He was replaced by Afinogenov who's been playing well with Kovalchuk.

At the expense of talent, coach Bykov demands 100% effort and commitment for national team players (the reason why KHLers like Zubov and Zherdev aren't on the team). And unlike Frolov, everybody that made the team has always given 100% effort for team Russia....yes, even Viktor Kozlov.

Like I said earlier, Frolov has no one to blame but himself.

neither one of those statements are true.

Old
12-27-2009, 01:52 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munnn View Post
I think the answer to your question is found in the name of the tournament. They play on "OLYMPIC" sized ice

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:27 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Frolov has no one to blame but himself.
</thread closed>

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:39 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Pretty sure the host country gets to decide this and it's going to be NHL size ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I think the answer to your question is found in the name of the tournament. They play on "OLYMPIC" sized ice

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote