HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

********* who made up Hartnell/Carter rumor was wrong (obviously)

Old
12-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
just because they say it is false doesn't mean it is.. don't be so naive. this scenario could happen.
and we'd get the same denials if it is true

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:09 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
and we'd get the same denials if it is true
A good organization would handle this stuff internally instead of broadcasting it to the world. This isnt the Dallas Cowboys here. If Jeff Carter is traded anytime soon, or becomes apparent they are trying to, its certainly going to raise eyebrows, a slump isnt grounds to trade a player like Jeff Carter.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Jester

Whats-his-name lost his job with 610 WIP for stating that Lindros showed up for a game in Pittsburgh drunk.

This kid is a moron for posting this story at this point in his life. If nothing else, a google search when he applies for jobs may turn up this story--not good. If it does develop into a real thing, then it's going to be even worse for him if working in the media is his career goal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:39 PM
bstreetbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I agree, but to an extent, I think there is SOMETHING thats distracting, and affecting their play on the ice which is why this rumor gained so much traction, especially considering the players in question where the ones playing especially bad. We are all looking for something to hold onto, to use to blame this skid on, and a lot of people, myself included, picked this. It makes sence. And the team/players saying its false (if it is true) doesnt suprise me, why would the team allow a circus grow into a bigger circus. Weather its true or not, I firmly beleive 'SOMETHING" is going on.
I can't believe that if this rumor is not true, how it would make 2 different players production decline like this. While Hartnell and Carter are out on a shift chasing the puck, passing, shooting, and hitting, do you really think they are thinking about some blogger or who porked Hartnell's wife? There are more important real things that occur in ones life that may alter an athletes production, not false rumors (as they claim).

Is it possible that Carter is really a 27-34 goal scorer who happened to have a career year last year? Could Hartnell have had his as well? Jimmy Rollins is around a 277 career hitter. Absent the MVP year, his production in just about every statistical category is right around his career averages. People have a career year at different points. It doesn't always come right in the middle of their prime. What Carter did last year, may never happen again.

bstreetbully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:43 PM
bstreetbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Whats-his-name lost his job with 610 WIP for stating that Lindros showed up for a game in Pittsburgh drunk.

This kid is a moron for posting this story at this point in his life. If nothing else, a google search when he applies for jobs may turn up this story--not good. If it does develop into a real thing, then it's going to be even worse for him if working in the media is his career goal.
It's only bad for him if he really doesn't have a source, and that's a big if. What if he really does know someone who works for the team? What if his prospective employer confirms with the source that they did in fact tell Brennan this?

Old
12-26-2009, 05:47 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreetbully View Post
I can't believe that if this rumor is not true, how it would make 2 different players production decline like this. While Hartnell and Carter are out on a shift chasing the puck, passing, shooting, and hitting, do you really think they are thinking about some blogger or who porked Hartnell's wife? There are more important real things that occur in ones life that may alter an athletes production, not false rumors (as they claim).

Is it possible that Carter is really a 27-34 goal scorer who happened to have a career year last year? Could Hartnell have had his as well? Jimmy Rollins is around a 277 career hitter. Absent the MVP year, his production in just about every statistical category is right around his career averages. People have a career year at different points. It doesn't always come right in the middle of their prime. What Carter did last year, may never happen again.
Which is why I am buying into the rumor. It would bother me to no end if my teammate was porkin my wife, and if Im a veteren player this behavior bothers me, and it certainly is a legit issue to split over. Never understood the concept of cheating, and ive been on the hurting end of it and well it hurts, and it is distracting. Weather its true or not, its a legitamite thing to look at. I think there may be a grain of truth to it.

Carters year last year, IMO was as good as it gets from him. I was suprised by it, but I still see him as a perenial 30-35 goal scorer with that shot he has.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
It's only bad for him if he really doesn't have a source, and that's a big if. What if he really does know someone who works for the team? What if his prospective employer confirms with the source that they did in fact tell Brennan this?
He would have to out his source in order to use that as cover. Which he could only do with the source's permission by journalism standards. Given the claim that the "source" supposedly works with the organization or whatever, I find it unlikely that the source is going to risk his/her job here.

The whole thing strikes me as such BS.

That being said, it was just plain stupid to post such a story like this with an anonymous source and zero journalistic reputation to fall back on. Fact of the matter is that no professional journalist would publish such a story on such tenuous source grounds...because individuals do have a tendency of calling you on your BS. Unlike the case with Ibanez, from what I've read he didn't couch the story in the language that would protect him from libel/defamation of character. The Ibanez story was reckless and stupid, but he was very careful to put forward his statement as speculative rather than definitive.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:49 PM
bstreetbully

Quote:

Craig Carton, who actually found work almost immediately after leaving WIP, in a bigger market (Denver & New York), and with a significant raise. He currently works for ESPN radio. He's actually done quite well for himself after leaving his part time host job at WIP. The Lindros story didn't affect his career at all.

Last edited by bstreetbully: 12-26-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old
12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Craig Carton, who actually found work almost immediately after leaving WIP, in a bigger market (New York), and with a significant raise. He currently works for ESPN radio. He's actually done quite well for himself after leaving his part time host job at WIP. The Lindros story didn't affect his career at all.
Go fellow Penn alum, but he still lost his job...and had a resume already working for him. Additionally, working talk radio is a bit different from doing actual journalism work. He wants to be a sports radio blowhard? Probably won't kill him...he wants to be a writer and taken seriously on that front, something like this could dog him.

As of now, I don't think it's that big a deal...if they actually take him to court. Problem.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
bstreetbully

Quote:
He would have to out his source in order to use that as cover. Which he could only do with the source's permission by journalism standards. Given the claim that the "source" supposedly works with the organization or whatever, I find it unlikely that the source is going to risk his/her job here.

The whole thing strikes me as such BS.

That being said, it was just plain stupid to post such a story like this with an anonymous source and zero journalistic reputation to fall back on. Fact of the matter is that no professional journalist would publish such a story on such tenuous source grounds...because individuals do have a tendency of calling you on your BS. Unlike the case with Ibanez, from what I've read he didn't couch the story in the language that would protect him from libel/defamation of character. The Ibanez story was reckless and stupid, but he was very careful to put forward his statement as speculative rather than definitive.
He would only have to "out" his source to a potential employer, and if they were satisfied after speaking with the source, his "problem" goes away. Brennan also used the terms "bizarre rumor" and "if it were true" before stating what he was told. He was anything but reckless or irresponsible. He identified it as a possible bizarre rumor, and further stated "if it were true". He didn't report it as fact.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:58 PM
bstreetbully

Quote:
Go fellow Penn alum, but he still lost his job...and had a resume already working for him. Additionally, working talk radio is a bit different from doing actual journalism work. He wants to be a sports radio blowhard? Probably won't kill him...he wants to be a writer and taken seriously on that front, something like this could dog him.

As of now, I don't think it's that big a deal...if they actually take him to court. Problem.
Don't forget Clarke AND Snyder later admitted that Carton's story WAS TRUE.

Old
12-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
He would only have to "out" his source to a potential employer, and if they were satisfied after speaking with the source, his "problem" goes away. Brennan also used the terms "bizarre rumor" and "if it were true" before stating what he was told. He was anything but reckless or irresponsible. He identified it as a possible bizarre rumor, and further stated "if it were true". He didn't report it as fact.
No, he would have to out the source to defend himself if the team went after him. Reporting an unsubstantiated story from an anonymous source...is reckless reporting. It's rumor mongering, and by putting it out there you open yourself to libel/defamation of character charges.

Quote:
Don't forget Clarke AND Snyder later admitted that Carton's story WAS TRUE.
Thus why a libel/defamation of character case never materialized...Carton's problem was that he was working for the carrier of the organization's radio feed, which meant they had some hold over WIP. So the fact that he didn't out his source was a problem, because the Flyers wanted to nip it in the bud.

I don't recall them ever saying it was true, however.

Old
12-26-2009, 06:35 PM
bstreetbully

Quote:
No, he would have to out the source to defend himself if the team went after him. Reporting an unsubstantiated story from an anonymous source...is reckless reporting. It's rumor mongering, and by putting it out there you open yourself to libel/defamation of character charges.
I wasn't referring to outing his source to defend against the team or individuals, I was referring to it being a "problem" for him in future employment. Identifying something as a "bizarre rumor" and further stating "if it were true" doesn't even come close to meeting the standards for libel. If anything what he put forth acted as a disclaimer for what was stated thereafter.

Had he not mentioned "bizarre rumor" or "if it were true" and presented the information as fact, libel could then be in play. There is no law, civil or criminal for what you term "rumor mongering". TMZ does it on a daily basis, The National Inquirer and The Star have been doing it for decades. Very rarely, if ever, is someone successful in a libel suit against them. They have been sued, and have been guilty of such conduct however there conduct was far more reckless than Brennan's.

Besides he wasn't the first person to post this rumor on the internet, and he surely won't be the last.

Quote:
Thus why a libel/defamation of character case never materialized...Carton's problem was that he was working for the carrier of the organization's radio feed, which meant they had some hold over WIP. So the fact that he didn't out his source was a problem, because the Flyers wanted to nip it in the bud.

I don't recall them ever saying it was true, however.
A case did materialize. The Flyers filed a libel suit, it was settled out of court. About 3-4 years later Clarke admitted to a group of Philadelphia reporters that Carton's story was true, and I believe Snyder when asked about it after that also confirmed it was true. I also remember hearing the settlement was modified as well.

Old
12-27-2009, 04:23 PM
captainpaxil

i know carton returned and worked for wip since his dismissal.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote