HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Kings: Dustin Brown Not Worried About Scoring Slump; Terry Murray On Scott Parse

Old
12-26-2009, 07:30 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
LA Kings: Dustin Brown Not Worried About Scoring Slump; Terry Murray On Scott Parse

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:02 AM
no name

Strange that the Frozen Royalty format isn't supported here at work. Can somebody post the quote about Parse?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Strange that the Frozen Royalty format isn't supported here at work. Can somebody post the quote about Parse?
Quote:
Parse, 25, was recalled from Manchester on October 23. In 27 games with the Kings this season, the 5-11, 197-pound native of Portage, Michigan scored four goals and added seven assists for eleven points with twelve penalty minutes.

Although Parse scored some big goals and contributed on a line with center Jarret Stoll and winger Teddy Purcell, he did not show the consistent intensity and effort in the checking part of the game that an NHL player must bring on every shift in every game.

“He knows how to do that when he’s really on top of things and is riding a good feeling—he does participate in that hard play,” said head coach Terry Murray. “But that’s the area that needs to be focused on to be consistent.”

“He’s in and out,” added Murray. “His skating is good when he’s on the balls of his feet and he’s jumping and alert and there’s other times you look at him on a different shift and you’re saying, ‘oh man…get going.’”

Murray said that a lot of young prospects in Parse’s situation feel like the coach and the franchise is betraying them.

“This is exactly the conversation I had with him in my office one-on-one, so I’m not talking out of school because I’ve had this meeting with players over the years and it’s exactly the same scenario for every player that I see who falls into this category,” Murray explained.

“He’s a skilled player, he can score highlight-reel goals,” Murray elaborated. “He plays the game pretty good, but there’s always the parts of the game that coaches look at, and it’s not quite good enough. So we give you time to get through that, to improve. Still not where it needs to be. You get sent back down and the player’s upset at the coach and at the organization because, ‘I scored four or five big goals. They looked great. Why can’t I play there?’”

“As you go through your career now, as a player, you’re going to go to four or five different organizations, possibly, and it’s going to be the same scenario. At the end of your career, you’re going to look back and say, ‘I was screwed my whole career.’”

Murray had some encouraging words for Parse as well, and it seems that Parse took Murray’s words—the encouragement and the criticism—to heart.

“I was very up front with him in discussing this because I’ve seen it almost one thousand times,” Murray stressed. “What’s important for him, as I told him on the plane was, ‘Hey Scotty: you need to go down and work on all those areas of the game that we talked about. The dots-to-boards play, the checking, the intensity every shift that you’re out there. When you get that down, you’re going to be a player in the NHL and you’ll be a very good player because the other stuff, the highlight-reel stuff, I can’t teach you that. But this is about an attitude that you need to bring that high level intensity to your game with a very competitive game [and when you do], you’re going to be a good player.’”

Sounds like abunch of crap, really.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:06 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

He's trying to get rid of (or fix) any players who have O'Sullivanitis. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
Why that............

this is exactly what a coach has to do.
You don't get ready for to go players from somewhere.
You have to make some.

That is what most people, even coaches are doing wrong.
Just do a little bit game planing and tell the player.
If you do that you will go down.

If you really have a game plan you have to from the players to fit into.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Why that............

this is exactly what a coach has to do.
You don't get ready for to go players from somewhere.
You have to make some.

That is what most people, even coaches are doing wrong.
Just do a little bit game planing and tell the player.
If you do that you will go down.

If you really have a game plan you have to from the players to fit into.

I have no idea what you just said. So, I will just say this.

Terry is just trying to find excuses for him not to play. It sounds silly, but that's what I get when I read it. Moller is a hard worker but Parse seems to understand the game a lot better. But, according to Murray he doesn't. I hope he gets to come back up soon, I really did like watching him play.

I'm not downing Moller, he has talent, I just hope it happens soon.

Old
12-26-2009, 12:51 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
That's exactly what it is!

I don't know what it is with TM but every time he tries to justify why a player isn't in the lineup or why this or why that, my eyes just begin to roll because he's just feeding us some ********. I like TM as a coach overall but sometimes, I just wished Hammond wouldn't even bother with an interview because majority of the time it's just BS.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea what you just said. So, I will just say this.

Terry is just trying to find excuses for him not to play. It sounds silly, but that's what I get when I read it. Moller is a hard worker but Parse seems to understand the game a lot better. But, according to Murray he doesn't. I hope he gets to come back up soon, I really did like watching him play.

I'm not downing Moller, he has talent, I just hope it happens soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
That's exactly what it is!

I don't know what it is with TM but every time he tries to justify why a player isn't in the lineup or why this or why that, my eyes just begin to roll because he's just feeding us some ********. I like TM as a coach overall but sometimes, I just wished Hammond wouldn't even bother with an interview because majority of the time it's just BS.

Or maybe he really does want Parse to work on the gritty part of his game...?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Chazz Reinhold

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...ings/125/25088

Quote:
“He’s a pretty blunt guy,” Matt Greene added. “That’s another thing that’s great about him. There’s no games. Everything is cut and dry. If you’re not playing the way he wants you to play he’s going to tell you about it. There’s not a lot of mind games here. You always know where you stand.”
I'm guessing when Terry Murray says he wants Parse to work on his gritty play along the boards, the checking part of the game, and bringing intensity more consistently, he means it.

Old
12-26-2009, 01:10 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
When was the last time one of our prospects stayed up here for 2 months (more or less)? If TM truly was displeased with the lack of grit from Parse, my guess is Parse would have been sent packing long before 2 months.

Old
12-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Shellz

Quote:
I believe that . But, keeping Moller over him just makes it sound silly. I would easily throw in Richie on the 3rd line. All big bodies down the middle.

Smyth- Kopitar - Williams
Frolov- Handzus - Brown
Parse - Richardson - Simmonds
Ivanans - Elkins - Segal

The only way I see Parse working on his gritty side of the game, is playing with the big boys. I don't see him changing when he plays in Manchester.

Old
12-26-2009, 01:16 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
I believe that . But, keeping Moller over him just makes it sound silly. I would easily throw in Richie on the 3rd line. All big bodies down the middle.

Smyth- Kopitar - Williams
Frolov- Handzus - Brown
Parse - Richardson - Simmonds
Ivanans - Elkins - Segal

The only way I see Parse working on his gritty side of the game, is playing with the big boys. I don't see him changing when he plays in Manchester.
Richardson is about the same size as Moller and neither are what I consider "big bodies"

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Richardson is about the same size as Moller and neither are what I consider "big bodies"
Looking at the stats, I did not know that. But, I still meant what I said. Richardson might be small, but he looks big on the ice. Moller just looks small.

Old
12-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
As small as Moller is, he gives it all in the gritty parts of the game.

Quote:
When was the last time one of our prospects stayed up here for 2 months (more or less)? If TM truly was displeased with the lack of grit from Parse, my guess is Parse would have been sent packing long before 2 months.
I think the injury problems eliminated any possibility of that.

Old
12-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Shellz

Quote:
The only game that really stood out to me, was the last game we played. He played really well even after getting pushed around. I like seeing that. He has to play twice as hard as the big players and I think he's going to get tired. He better prove me wrong.

Old
12-26-2009, 02:15 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

I think the injury problems eliminated any possibility of that.
Not true. Moller was available if TM was displeased with Parse in any way.

Old
12-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Not true. Moller was available if TM was displeased with Parse in any way.
Moller's been playing with the Kings since December 7th; Parse was playing in the same time period. He could not have replaced one with the other.

Old
12-26-2009, 03:32 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Moller's been playing with the Kings since December 7th; Parse was playing in the same time period. He could not have replaced one with the other.
Moller's played 4 or 5 games. Parse has played 20 more or less. You do the math.

Old
12-26-2009, 03:40 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Well, I think you're wrong. Parse played like a man possessed when he first showed up and then tapered off a bit. It sounds like since he went back to Manchester he has picked up his game again. He will get another chance.

Also, don't forget that Moller had a great game against Calgary in the 2-1 loss. What are you going to do, not reward the kid that busted his butt?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Moller's played 4 or 5 games. Parse has played 20 more or less. You do the math.
There's not much math to do. Murray obviously feels Parse has tailed off a bit in the last few weeks, and I can't say I disagree with him. His physical play has been surprisingly absent compared to how he was at the beginning of his call up. Murray didn't exactly have very many options the week or two before this extended break due to the amount of injuries.

Old
12-26-2009, 04:01 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Well, I think you're wrong. Parse played like a man possessed when he first showed up and then tapered off a bit. It sounds like since he went back to Manchester he has picked up his game again. He will get another chance.
By man possessed, I think you meant you were pleasantly surprised. I guess most of us were. My whole point is TM has never had problem demoting a player if in any way he was dissatisfied but yet, Parse managed to stay up here for 2 months.

Quote:
Also, don't forget that Moller had a great game against Calgary in the 2-1 loss. What are you going to do, not reward the kid that busted his butt?
Well, you're sort of validating my point. Because I don't think the demotion has as much to do with Parse but rather more to do with Moller or other circumstances.

Old
12-26-2009, 04:11 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

The demotion is not just the result of one thing.

Its a combination of 1)players returning from injury, more specifically Segal and Simmonds since Smyth and Johnson have little bearing on Parse's spot 2) Parse's play tailing off in a big way the last several games 3) Moller subsequently outplaying Parse in those games 4) Purcell needing to pass through waivers and 5) Richardson thriving on the LW.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Fishhead

Parse is just being sent down to work on things, like Moller was. Oscar worked on stuff, now he'll get his shot and we'll see if he sticks. Purcell is up because of the waiver situation. Am I the only one that sees Purcell like a Robert Lang kinda guy? Lots of skill and good size, just one of those players that needs a long time to put it together. He could be a really solid NHL'er, just not sure if that's worth waiting for.

You can call it crap or unfair to Parse if you like, but I can't really disagree with the way TM has handled the roster. This team had really awful injuries for a stretch there and he deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team on an even keel and confident enough to win some tough games without their regulars. I also love that he is straightforward with the players and tells it like it is.

The days are over when young players can just stick with the Kings because there are empty slots. This is a playoff team and can hang with the best of them in the conference, young guys are going to have to pick it up a notch and bring it every night if they want to stay on the roster.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:19 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
By man possessed, I think you meant you were pleasantly surprised. I guess most of us were. My whole point is TM has never had problem demoting a player if in any way he was dissatisfied but yet, Parse managed to stay up here for 2 months.

Well, you're sort of validating my point. Because I don't think the demotion has as much to do with Parse but rather more to do with Moller or other circumstances.
When Parse first showed up what impressed you the most? For me, it was his surprising physical play and toughness along the boards especially in getting pucks out of his own zone. He tailed off a bit in that department.

I don't think I validated any point that you are trying to make. You seem to want to blame TM for Parse going down. Parse getting outplayed recently by Moller doesn't make TM the fall guy for Parse getting sent back to Manchester.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:24 PM
no name

After 2 weeks of Parse coming up I noted publicly that almost every aspect of his game dropped considerably. He spiked back up for a 3 game stretch but then got lost on the ice again afterwards. That's typical of a kid coming up and sending them down is how you build consistancy.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote