HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Rangers target Filatov?

Old
12-26-2009, 01:23 PM
ConoR187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
saw a thread that you guys might have some d on the move, and our d is horrible so we could work as trade partners

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:34 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
You need sensitivity training, or something. The discrimination on these boards towards Russians is astounding.
I wouldn't waste my time on numbskulls like him/her. You'll never be able to talk sense to him/her. I've spent the better part of two years fighting that fight with anti-euro, anti-Russian hockey fans. While I LOVE rock'em sock'em hockey I'll take skill every time.

Luckily they're in the minority so it's best to not rise to the bait.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:35 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
You need sensitivity training, or something. The discrimination on these boards towards Russians is astounding.
the xenophobia can get a little ridiculous sometimes.

cold war ended over 20 years ago.....give it up

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:39 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
saw a thread that you guys might have some d on the move, and our d is horrible so we could work as trade partners
That's what motivated me to start this thread. And it got me to thinking of BJs as a possible partner to move excess D. But I'm still hoping to see some proposals to gage where I stand in terms of how much to offer for a prospect like Filatov.

I'm wondering if you'd be interested in Rosival, he has an ok contract and is a solid d-man (contrary to popular opinion). While the Cap hit is high the actual salary is quite reasonable. I think we'd have to throw a little something in like a Sanguinetti or a high pick.

Old
12-26-2009, 01:40 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
so Columbus is trying to move him? I would trade for him.
McDonagh for Filatov straight up? i don't know what i'm saying.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:49 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Higgins
Sanguinetti
2nd '10

For

Filatov

For Filatov, I'd be willing to overpay. Kid's a talent. 5g 9a in 12 KHL games thus far (according to hockeydb).

Just watch when he takes over the WJC

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:47 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

You can have Rozsival & Redden.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if hes available, and the price is fair, id do everything i could to get him on this team.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:51 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
You can have Rozsival & Redden.
I want Toots back!

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 03:12 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
I wouldn't waste my time on numbskulls like him/her. You'll never be able to talk sense to him/her. I've spent the better part of two years fighting that fight with anti-euro, anti-Russian hockey fans. While I LOVE rock'em sock'em hockey I'll take skill every time.

Luckily they're in the minority so it's best to not rise to the bait.
Well it works both ways. I don't think it's fair that you label some people anti-euro or anti-Russian because they don't agree with you on one particular player (who as it happens is Ukrainian)--named Zherdev. Personally I think Filatov would be a very intriguing player and I brought him up about a month ago in some kind of who should we target UFA thread in this forum but it didn't seem to get a lot of attention but the idea came from a story about how Hitchcock and Filatov weren't getting along that was running on Yahoo's NHL page at the time.

And to be honest it takes a lot more elements than just skill to make a winning team and though the Rangers might not have enough skill (or enough skill that produces like it should) they don't have enough toughness either. You cannot build a winning team by always trading off one aspect of the game for another. You need to build a balance.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:15 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Do whatever it takes to get him, provided he is guaranteed to come and play for the Rangers. Staal, DZ, Lundqvist, Anisimov, Gaborik are the only untouchables. Fire away Howson.

I'd do something along the lines of Sanguinetti and a mid level prospect personally.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:33 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Do whatever it takes to get him, provided he is guaranteed to come and play for the Rangers. Staal, DZ, Lundqvist, Anisimov, Gaborik are the only untouchables. Fire away Howson.

I'd do something along the lines of Sanguinetti and a mid level prospect personally.
Sanguinetti is a former 1st rounder himself, maybe start with him, add in a late round pick or maybe Sauer?

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 07:00 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Sanguinetti is a former 1st rounder himself, maybe start with him, add in a late round pick or maybe Sauer?
I also agree that the talks would begin with Sanguinetti, who I think will be an excellent 2-way Dman in the near future. However, I wouldn't want to give up a first or a second. we don't have a third, I believe, so it's a 4th or a 5th.

An offer can alway be expanded to send Rosie. I think it would take Girardi to be honest, which in my opinion is hard to pull the trigger on. They need a Dman so I'm guessing they don't want an unknown commodity for the future.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
I also agree that the talks would begin with Sanguinetti, who I think will be an excellent 2-way Dman in the near future. However, I wouldn't want to give up a first or a second. we don't have a third, I believe, so it's a 4th or a 5th.

An offer can alway be expanded to send Rosie. I think it would take Girardi to be honest, which in my opinion is hard to pull the trigger on. They need a Dman so I'm guessing they don't want an unknown commodity for the future.
That's tough. Without Girardi I dont know if this team makes the playoffs... Not because Girardi is so good but because we would be short on quality NHL D-men. And with Filatov gone till at least next season it's not something I want to explore.

Sangs, Girardi for Filatov + (1st or 2nd).. im not sure what's fair. Then call up Potter.

Or, Instead of calling up potter we can then trade that 1st or 2nd for a servicable D-man from a team looking for the T. Hall Sweepstakes!

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
How many lazy Russian reclamation projects are we going to take on before we stop messing with them? No thanks.
That statement is in no way accurate of Filatov

The kid has loads of offensive talent and is a burst of energy on the ice. The problem is Hitchcock didn't want him on team in 1st place.

GM drafted and wanted him while he did not

Filatov is in many ways similiar to Patrick Kane when he came into the league. Top offensive talent with no defensive ability. Kane was god awful as a rookie in his own end , Horrendous last year and is now average this year. The improvement comes with experience.

Hitchcock demands his players be strong in there own end above all else. He was playing Filatov on the 4th line with Micheal Blunden and other grinders. You dont throw a talent like that on your 4th line. When Filatov would make a mistake in 1st period he would be benched rest of game.

Filatov is incapable of playing at the level of defense that Hitchcock wants. YOu cant force good defense out of him. You have to work with him on it and expect him to improve with time.

He is a top 6 offensive talent who thrives in offensive zone and on PP. But he was in a system were he was viewed with contempt and scorn and benched in favor of pluggers and grinders.

Hitchcock is killing that team with his out of date coaching style and his refusal to compromise with talent like Zherdov

Coach Q hated Kane's defensive lapses last year but he knew his value on offensive end. He has worked with Kane to improve his defense and John Madden was brought in and from all accounts is also a reason for the improvement by Kane this season.

If the Hitch took this approach and swallowed his ego for once the Blue Jackets would have a rising star in NHL instead of a rising star in KHL.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 08:07 PM
KRM

Yes, yes, and yes.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 08:17 PM
pwoz

If we had a solid defense I wouldn't care about having a potential superstar who was offense only. We need balance. Staal can make up for the lack of a defensive effort from Gaborik (I think he's fine, just an example, a 1+ PPG player is never a liability IMO), but I am not confident in having a pure offensive threat if Redden and Rozsival (plus inexperienced rookies) are on the ice.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Ehhh these guys remind me of Svitov and Chistov. Both were top quality NHL prospects but both wanted lots of $$ for little production and were flops in the NHL. We have enough of that here so I'll pass unless he comes cheap.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Ehhh these guys remind me of Svitov and Chistov. Both were top quality NHL prospects but both wanted lots of $$ for little production and were flops in the NHL. We have enough of that here so I'll pass unless he comes cheap.
Filatov is nothing like Zherdev

No money issue,,,, He left NHL because his coach made it very clear he wasn't wanted on his team

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:28 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
How many lazy Russian reclamation projects are we going to take on before we stop messing with them? No thanks.
This is such an absurd comment. 2008 top-ten picks with a negligible handful of NHL games under their belt fall into the "lazy reclamation projects" category in what universe, exactly? The kid is 19 and has undeniable superstar potential. Picking him up for Sanguinetti and a pick (an equally unproven player at the NHL level and a pick that may not ever even make the NHL) is a bargain for the potential Filatov has, especially for a team that is starving for top-flight offensive talent. Just because he hasn't cracked the CBJ line up at 19 years old and happens to share a heritage with Zherdev doesn't make him the next Z. Not to mention the fact that even if Filatov was never any better than Zherdev that would still be our second best forward and moving a Sanguinetti or McDonagh for that is easy to swallow when dealing from a position of strength. That anyone here wouldn't be willing to move a Sanguinetti (when we have Sauer, Potter, Heikenen, McDonagh, Williams, Gilroy and MDZ as well) for a talent like Filatov just because of some 'lazy russian' stigma is ridiculous.

Roszival + Sanguinetti + Higgins and/or 2nd for Filatov + Tyutin/Methot and/or Huselius

Last edited by SERE 24: 12-26-2009 at 10:34 PM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:31 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
That statement is in no way accurate of Filatov

The kid has loads of offensive talent and is a burst of energy on the ice. The problem is Hitchcock didn't want him on team in 1st place.

GM drafted and wanted him while he did not

Filatov is in many ways similiar to Patrick Kane when he came into the league. Top offensive talent with no defensive ability. Kane was god awful as a rookie in his own end , Horrendous last year and is now average this year. The improvement comes with experience.

Hitchcock demands his players be strong in there own end above all else. He was playing Filatov on the 4th line with Micheal Blunden and other grinders. You dont throw a talent like that on your 4th line. When Filatov would make a mistake in 1st period he would be benched rest of game.

Filatov is incapable of playing at the level of defense that Hitchcock wants. YOu cant force good defense out of him. You have to work with him on it and expect him to improve with time.

He is a top 6 offensive talent who thrives in offensive zone and on PP. But he was in a system were he was viewed with contempt and scorn and benched in favor of pluggers and grinders.

Hitchcock is killing that team with his out of date coaching style and his refusal to compromise with talent like Zherdov

Coach Q hated Kane's defensive lapses last year but he knew his value on offensive end. He has worked with Kane to improve his defense and John Madden was brought in and from all accounts is also a reason for the improvement by Kane this season.

If the Hitch took this approach and swallowed his ego for once the Blue Jackets would have a rising star in NHL instead of a rising star in KHL.
If you don't like my response read this one.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:10 PM
TheHotRock

not sure i'd do this, but pretty sure it would get the deal done

roszival and dubinsky for filatov?

definitely wouldn't make this trade in season, but i think i'd do it come summer...

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:23 PM
NHLhockey1234

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,203134

If you noticed in Zherdev's interviews, he said that he was satisfied with his performance with the Rangers last year. The first half of the season I'd say everyone was satisfied, the rest no-body else. Zherdev had the potential of being a 90 point producer consistently, but never went that route.

This Filatov kid, I like his maturity in his comments, they are different than Zherdev's, shows he has a lot of character and I think we should pick him up and fill that Cherepanov gap that everyone has been looking to fill up for. If I ever see Sather, I'll be sure to scream FILATOV while he puffs his cigar.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
Re. Radulov - Dead wrong. You can keep whiny Russian B***hes that don't honor their contracts, thank you very much.
Just emailed this to Alex Ovechkin. You will be receiving a visit from him soon, and he did not sound pleased.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:11 AM
GarretJoseph*

I think he can be had for a lower price than some of you guys are throwing around.

I'd move Higgins + a 3rd/2nd for him.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote