HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would the Habs send Gomez in the minors (and pay accordingly) if they have to?

Old
12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Yes....now that we have a #1 center lets let him walk. What the hell are you smoking.
Even if I smoked what he did, I don't think I'd agree with him.

That being said, as bad as Gomez has been, we still need him (this year at least).
If Plek goes down, and we're without Gomez, Metro becomes our #1. That isn't a lovely situation.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:12 PM
rUmX

This thread is .... -.-

RE: Plekanec/Savard: You must factor in that Savard likely must have taken a hometown discount. He would have gotten much more than he did if he was on the open market.

The same will be true for Plecks. He'll definitely get $5+ million. So I hope we can get him signed for less before July 1st.

rUmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
All these Gomez threads are starting to get a little out of hand...

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBunny View Post
This thread is .... -.-

RE: Plekanec/Savard: You must factor in that Savard likely must have taken a hometown discount. He would have gotten much more than he did if he was on the open market.

The same will be true for Plecks. He'll definitely get $5+ million. So I hope we can get him signed for less before July 1st.
Very likely.

Rumors we're flying around like candy that Burke had him in sights for July 1st, with the Leafs with as much cap space as they do they could have gave him a lot of money.

He saw he had a better core in Boston and knew he had to take a discount to keep the team competitive.. Obviously a lot of people had Savard in the wrong category (selfish).

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 06:08 PM
JayBee*

Some posters seriously have no hockey sense. What a dumb post.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:39 PM
QuietReign

I'm in no way defending Gomez's overall performance this year...

but the way some of you guys talk about him is really uncalled for... or just baseless...

he does need to step his game up... but a lot of you should chill out...

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

7 points in his last 5 games and Gionta is coming back soon, these ******** threads can probably stop for now.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
7 points in his last 5 games and Gionta is coming back soon, these ******** threads can probably stop for now.
I hope so. I don't understand why there is a thread about something so absurd. There should only be one thread about buying out or getting rid of a player, and that's Laraque. Plekanec is having an incredible season; so good, that Gomez will never appear to be good enough for the fans. it's unfortunate that its not Gomez who has awesome linemates and first PP unit time and the incredible stats to go along with it. At least then we wouldn't have to worry about paying a guy too much and needing to pay another guy more than we were planning on doing. **** happens. Why not just have a little faith that Gainey will be able to sign Plekanec. Remember, he's still a guy that has not proven he can string together above average seasons. Gainey can still use that horrible 39pt season as leverage.

Listen, it sucks but we're going to lose some good players next year. Metropolit probably. Maybe MAB too. But believe me, Plekanec is going nowhere. The cap is not going down. Gainey WILL fit him in. Le relax.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:56 PM
MXD

I never said Gomez wasn't an NHL player. Actually, it was more of a theoric question. A few years ago, Malakhov was sent in the minors for the exact same reason. And I just wondered if we could do the same. No doubt Malakhov was an NHL player then...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Gomez has 5 points in two games and is 4th in team points... and climbing

Send him to the minors?

wtf

Enough said.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 08:40 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Gomez has 5 points in two games and is 4th in team points... and climbing

Send him to the minors?

wtf

Enough said.
Look a little more closely and you become AMAZED, actually. The points Scott has have come either from the PP, or from the ODD case where he has been on the ice at the same time as AK46 or Cammy. Only ONE assist was feeding SKost, and even then, Pleks was on the ice as well, as Scotty came out of the box and set up the 2-on-1.

So basically, the guy has almost one point per game, with the majority of those games on the road, playing half the PP time of Plekanec and one-quarter the time with quality wingers 5-on-5 or 4-on-4 as Plekanec.

Nothing against Pleks, he is playing REALLY well, but Scotty is being under-rated due to having third line wingers most of the time. SKost and Dags have virtually zero goals this year!!

At any rate, this thread is RIDICULOUS. No one talked about sending Hamrlik to the minors last year when he slipped to a distant #3 on the blueline in the second half of the year. He was being overpaid by at least $3.5M for that stretch of 40 games.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 08:45 AM
PunkinDrublic*

This is seriously one of the most daffy posts ever created @ HF !
Please / thread. It is not even worth being discussed !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 08:55 AM
alexstream

why send down one of your most valuable player?

regardless of salary (which do not matter anyways, cause you do not pay the guy. Molson does). since his return to injury, here are some facts :

-Showed really really good chemistry with Gionta. Cooled down when Gio went down with injury. Further cooled down when he was injured, before then stepping aside for a couple of games because of that same injury.
-Since he's back, he's got 12 pts in 14 games (without a big gun on his line!! impressive! how good will it be with Gionta back?!)
-has been playing the pk very effectively
-season average icetime of 19:49
-Team's 4th scorer, 2nd best in assists (remember, that's what he is good for. we never never expected goals from him)
-one of the team's restricted group with a positive rating at + 1 (they are nine with a positive rating.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 08:56 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Look a little more closely and you become AMAZED, actually. The points Scott has have come either from the PP, or from the ODD case where he has been on the ice at the same time as AK46 or Cammy. Only ONE assist was feeding SKost, and even then, Pleks was on the ice as well, as Scotty came out of the box and set up the 2-on-1.

So basically, the guy has almost one point per game, with the majority of those games on the road, playing half the PP time of Plekanec and one-quarter the time with quality wingers 5-on-5 or 4-on-4 as Plekanec.

Nothing against Pleks, he is playing REALLY well, but Scotty is being under-rated due to having third line wingers most of the time. SKost and Dags have virtually zero goals this year!!

At any rate, this thread is RIDICULOUS. No one talked about sending Hamrlik to the minors last year when he slipped to a distant #3 on the blueline in the second half of the year. He was being overpaid by at least $3.5M for that stretch of 40 games.
ok, so they win, they convinced me that one of our best player sucks. What do we do? send him to AHL and call up Maxwell? or Trade back for Chipchura?
yeah right.

way to go dude, you are bang on.

Last edited by alexstream: 12-27-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: ooops
alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 09:19 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
I think that at the begining of the season i would've said no, but now, with Nylander getting sent down, and Redden knocking on Hartford's door, I could see it as being plausible. THAT BEING SAID, I don't think Gomez is that much of a waste to send him down, he's too valuable, but high paid low producing players will start getting sent down.
It's true. It is the wrong message to send, but teams simply cannot afford wasted millions any more. More and more players will be buried if need be.

If I asked my boss for a 50-100 percent pay rise based on one or two years good performance, and then I spent two years not earning it, he'd fire me, simple as.

The CBA is FAR too player freindly. It's a DISASTER. 26 year old free agents etc. No re-nogotiation allowed. Give me a break.

I can't believe Bettman and the NHL did not demand that contract re-negotiation be allowed.

You bet your ass Gomez would take a 1 Mill pay cut to keep Pleks, but under the current CBA, he's NOT ALLOWED to take a cut. Gomer knows he'll be crucified next year if we lose Pleks because of him. And damn right, Pleks is OUR player, we developed him, and we should get to enjoy his excellence for at leat a few years.

I HATE the ****ing CBA.

There will be corrections in the next deal.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 10:26 AM
BLONG7

It's not Gomez's fault someone offered him all that money........the next CBA should allow for one contract per year, per team, to be renegotiated...there is one bad contract on every team...just a thought...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:02 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
It's not Gomez's fault someone offered him all that money........the next CBA should allow for one contract per year, per team, to be renegotiated...there is one bad contract on every team...just a thought...
You can "allow" as many contracts as you want to be re-negotiated, but do you actually think *any* player is going to line up to renegotiate for less money so that his teammates can receive big raises?

Is the team playing in the NHL or the Fantasy Hockey League? You guys are hilariously naive.

If they need to free up cash to give Plekanec a raise, the money given to to Paul Mara, (1.6 million) which will come off the books is a good place to start. Sergei Kostitsyn, at $800,000 is a long long shot to be returning or re-signed and suddenly you have $2.5 million laying around. Glen Metropolit has been great this year, but I suspect he will head to a team that has more room up front and Montreal has seen Ryan White and Tom Pyatt contribute well in the bottom six. That's another million right there.

With young guys poised to move into those roles (Weber, Carle and/or Subban can fight for the Mara spot on the blueline) Montreal can free up $3.5 million to add to the nearly $3 million Pleky is already making. Why do people have to pretend somehow that Gomez' contract will inhibit the teams ability to sign Plekanec. They are not connected in any way, and there's no issue for Montreal in terms of freeing up cash.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:04 AM
AntonCH

Quote:
Think the union would ever go for it?

I see them accepting 3-4 hr bus rides before they accept that

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:12 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Think the union would ever go for it?

I see them accepting 3-4 hr bus rides before they accept that
The union, for obvious reasons, would never accept that. But even if they did grant that as a concession in a new CBA, you would still be hard pressed to find even a single player that would agree to it. The concession in the CBA would allow teams to renegotiate one salary but they would still need to have someone - anyone - that would be on the other end of the re-negotitation strangely giving money back to the team. Good luck finding that player.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:15 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
If Scott Gomez gets sent to the minors you can forget about signing any other high profile FA ever again. These players have aspirations of playing on a good team and competing for a Stanley cup, not a Calder cup. Any up coming UFA's would not even bother listening to Bob if we sent Gomez down.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:42 AM
bsl

Quote:
Not a bad idea...look I'm not blaming Gomer, he's had some injury issues and has not had the greatest wingers this year.

The point I'm trying to make is that in the real world, contracts can be re-negotiated with the prior agreement of both parties. It is contrary to every liberal principle we have in business these days that NHL players should be exempt from this idea.

Maybe Gomer would not agree to re-negotiate. That's fine, it's his right. But he does not even have a choice in the matter.

If he wants to win, he wants Pleks on his team.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:25 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Not a bad idea...look I'm not blaming Gomer, he's had some injury issues and has not had the greatest wingers this year.

The point I'm trying to make is that in the real world, contracts can be re-negotiated with the prior agreement of both parties. It is contrary to every liberal principle we have in business these days that NHL players should be exempt from this idea.

Maybe Gomer would not agree to re-negotiate. That's fine, it's his right. But he does not even have a choice in the matter.

In the real world, guys who are in their 20s do not receive millions of dollars per year from their employer and guys in their mid-30s are not considered old. As much as Scott Gomez would like to win, I'm sure that he would not be willing to sacrifice millions of dollars per year just to do so. If Plekanec is not on the Canadiens next year, who is to say that someone better will not replace him? While he is having a fine season so far, Plekanec is not one of those guys who you can count on to produce a high point total, assuming that he is healthy.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:53 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post

It was just a thought guys, one contract to be renegotiated per team, hmm, anyhow, I think as guys age, and have made alot of money, if they enjoy where they are at, and like the team they are on, you might be surprised at the number of guys that may re-do their deals in order to keep a player, or players they like to keep a core together. The Wings have been able to keep their core under good contracts, and at home town type discounts, without disrupting their cap world...that being said, the Wings as a group in some ways are getting old...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote