HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semi-OT: Daily News: "Decade's 10 best moments in Big Apple sports"

Old
12-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Kind of Blue

vCash: 500
Semi-OT: Daily News: "Decade's 10 best moments in Big Apple sports"

Rangers don't make the list.

At first thought, I didn't really expect them to make the list, considering the local media's traditional refusal to acknowledge the Rangers and the fact that the Rangers didn't really accomplish much.

...But here was the Number 10 moment: "Tiger Woods wins Bethpage (2002)" Are you kidding me? Number 6 7 was pretty questionable as well (see full list below).

Perhaps our 2005-06 season should've made the list, for returning to the playoffs and/or for Jagr breaking our single-season goal and points records.

Thoughts?

Here is the list (for the full story, click here):

Quote:
10. Tiger Woods wins Bethpage (2002)
9. Devils win Stanley Cup (2003)
8. Derek Jeter's flip play (2001)
7. Jason Kidd transforms Nets (2002, 2003)
6. World Series miracles (2001)
5. Mike Piazza's home run after 9/11 (2001)
4. Aaron 'Bleepin' Boone (2003)
3. New Stadium, same champs (2009)
2. Yanks win Subway World Series (2000)
1. Giants stun Pats in Super Bowl XLII (2008)

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 12-27-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post

At first thought, I didn't really expect them to make the list, considering the local media's traditional refusal to acknowledge the Rangers and the fact that the Rangers didn't really accomplish much.

...But here was the Number 10 moment: "Tiger Woods wins Bethpage (2002)" Are you kidding me? Number 6 was pretty questionable as well (see full list below).

Perhaps our 2005-06 season should've made the list, for returning to the playoffs and/or for Jagr breaking our single-season goal and points records.

Thoughts?

05-06 isnt really a "moment" is it? More like a whole season, one that ended quite poorly might I add.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:24 PM
tjs252

#6 questionable?

Arguably two of the greatest moments in World Series history, reminding all of America that ghosts are real and they live in the Bronx, and you call that questionable?

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
#6 questionable?

Arguably two of the greatest moments in World Series history, reminding all of America that ghosts are real and they live in the Bronx, and you call that questionable?
I meant #7, Jason Kidd & the Nets.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 12-27-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old
12-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
05-06 isnt really a "moment" is it? More like a whole season, one that ended quite poorly might I add.
I hear you. But this isn't really a "moment" either: "Jason Kidd transforms Nets."

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 12-27-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old
12-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I hear you. But this isn't really a "moment" either: "Jason Kidd transforms Nets."
Thats true, but they went to back to back NBA finals.

Rangers never got to their conference finals.

What an unspectacular decade.

Old
12-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats true, but they went to back to back NBA finals.

Rangers never got to their conference finals.

What an unspectacular decade.
Yeah. Hey, at least we didn't make the Decade's 10 worst moments in Big Apple sports ...

Old
12-27-2009, 12:31 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:

...But here was the Number 10 moment: "Tiger Woods wins Bethpage (2002)" Are you kidding me? Number 6 7 was pretty questionable as well (see full list below).

Thoughts?

and what Ranger moment would you incclude?

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
BwayBshirt

Eh, more impressed with the "10 Worst Teams of the Decade" by the Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...qtsK7GKYGHVpjM

To sum it up:

Quote:
10. 2003-04 Blueshirts
9. 2008-09 Isles
8. 2005-06 Knicks
7. 2007 Jets
6. 2000-01 Fishsticks
5. 2003 Giants
4. 2004 Mets
3. 2003 Mets
2. 2007-08 Knicks
1. Surprise, surprise...this years' Mets

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
and what Ranger moment would you incclude?
I mentioned that in my post.

You could make a case for "Jagr revives Rangers."

As someone has already said, its not really a "moment," but neither is "Jason Kidd transforms Nets."

And you could debate how significant that actually is... but isn't it a more memorable Big Apple sports moment than Tiger freaking Woods at Bethpage?

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 12-27-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old
12-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:

As someone has already said, its not really a "moment," but neither is "Jason Kidd transforms Nets."

And you could debate how significant that actually is... but isn't it a more memorable Big Apple sports moment than Tiger freaking Woods at Bethpage?
Definitely should be on the list. After seven years of no playoff hockey at the Garden, nearly a decade, I don't think people realized how big of a deal it was for the Rangers to be back in the playoff picture. Even with Jagr, people were saying the Rangers were going to be the worst team in the NHL. They shocked everyone. In my opinion someone should take notice to that.

It's just writers not putting much stock in hockey (as usual). But somehow, Tiger Woods winning Bethpage is one of the biggest moments of the decade? As a NY fan I don't really think so but that is just me.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:50 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:

Abso-freaking-lutely not. You may not care about golf, but the greatest golfer of all time winning the U.S. Open the first time that it was ever played on a public course is absolutely worthy.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Brunomics

love the giants but I think the Piazza HR should be number 1 just because of when it was hit and how big it was to the city right after 9/11. Other than that Tiger should be on the list as well, that was a huge win for him.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:05 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Abso-freaking-lutely not. You may not care about golf, but the greatest golfer of all time winning the U.S. Open the first time that it was ever played on a public course is absolutely worthy.
plus a lot of people have played bethpage black making it extra cool!

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:05 PM
OverTheCap

This was not a very good decade for the Rangers, and considering how hockey is far from the most popular sport in this city, it's not surprising that they didn't make the list.

All 10 moments on the list, except for Piazza's 9/11 home run, involve teams/players that either won a championship this decade or made it to the championship game. The Rangers haven't come close to sniffing such success in the 2000's so it's understandable why they were left off.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm honestly asking... why is this significant?

Old
12-27-2009, 01:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm honestly asking... why is this significant?
Well, the US Open is "our" big major tournament...It's the USGA championship, has a dynamite field, and is traditionally played on extremely difficult courses. And for the first time, "our" championship was played on a public course, a course that anyone and everyone could conceivably play--it's a course I've played myself! That in and of itself was a huge moment for golf. That particular Open in 2002 set all sorts of attendance records, had incredible fan support and an atmosphere unlike anything golf had seen, really. It was just such an incredible event in the golf world.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:30 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, the US Open is "our" big major tournament...It's the USGA championship, has a dynamite field, and is traditionally played on extremely difficult courses. And for the first time, "our" championship was played on a public course, a course that anyone and everyone could conceivably play--it's a course I've played myself! That in and of itself was a huge moment for golf. That particular Open in 2002 set all sorts of attendance records, had incredible fan support and an atmosphere unlike anything golf had seen, really. It was just such an incredible event in the golf world.
ive only got on the black course once and of course i only get 4 holes in before ridiculous thunderstorms came rolling in. flooded the greens and the bunkers in minutes, cloud to ground lightening on the course haha. gotta get on this summer!

Old
12-27-2009, 01:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
ive only got on the black course once and of course i only get 4 holes in before ridiculous thunderstorms came rolling in. flooded the greens and the bunkers in minutes, cloud to ground lightening on the course haha. gotta get on this summer!
Playing the Black Course is so worth it. The thing kicked my ass all sorts of ways, but it just felt so awesome being out there on one of the hardest (and most beautiful) courses in the country. We also did a walk-up and had to do the sleeping-in-the-car-overnight thing. I only knew one of the guys I was with but it was just awesome, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Male bonding at its finest.

Old
12-27-2009, 01:49 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Playing the Black Course is so worth it. The thing kicked my ass all sorts of ways, but it just felt so awesome being out there on one of the hardest (and most beautiful) courses in the country. We also did a walk-up and had to do the sleeping-in-the-car-overnight thing. I only knew one of the guys I was with but it was just awesome, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Male bonding at its finest.
i just showed up at 3pm and waited for twilight rates. got a 4pm tee time or so. plenty of day light and i usually like playin in the evening more anyways.

Old
12-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Well, the US Open is "our" big major tournament...It's the USGA championship, has a dynamite field, and is traditionally played on extremely difficult courses. And for the first time, "our" championship was played on a public course, a course that anyone and everyone could conceivably play--it's a course I've played myself! That in and of itself was a huge moment for golf...
I still don't get why that is so significant. But I don't really have a frame of reference, because golf doesn't mean anything to me.

Old
12-27-2009, 02:10 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

My decade moment is Superbowl XLII.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I still don't get why that is so significant. But I don't really have a frame of reference, because golf doesn't mean anything to me.
Fair enough.

Old
12-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I hear ya.

I played the Black Course about 4 times, including once a couple of days after the 2002 US Open.

I shot 87 that day with a 41 on the back and it was probably the best I ever played in my life.